Geske

The perfect time&place...

28 posts in this topic

If tell you mine, will you tell me yours?

My very favourite manner of listening to a Dalaras record is at night, in bed, just before going to sleep. Especially now that I've got a good discman. Stretched out in the dark, in the silence... hearing details I've never heard before...  the least nuance of the voice... giving myself up to the music.

Reluctantly, very reluctantly, taking off the headphones at last... then (only then) sleep will come. And in that sleep what dreams may come?

Well Geeska the obvious answer is anytime is a great time to listen to Dalaras...But i mostly listen to him while driving around in my company car all day.My job requires that i drive a lot during the day so i have several Dalaras CD's in my vehicle ready to go..The only problem is that sometimes i get so wrapped up in the songs that i forget the exit i was to get off at and i find myself driving 10 miles further down the road..Sometimes i forget where i am supposed to go alltogether ..Now how many of you have also done that before??? OOOPS there goes another exit!!!

Now when i get home ,i play videos instead of CD's..The CD's are for the car,the videos are for home........

Actually, the car is my next favourite.

Problem is, it's 27 years old van, and noisy in proportion, with a not-too-good tape player!

So it's either headphones, which is dangerous, or sing-along-and-####-the-noise... which is most of the time. I never missed an exit because of a song. In fact, they did save my skin several times, as in preventing me from falling asleep at the wheel on 12 to 16 hour drives.

However exhausted I am, yelling 'paraponemena logia' will keep me awake... (and my passengers too, hehehe).

Geeska,my vehicle is quit and has a killer sound system with a multi CD changer.I spend so much time in my vehicle that i could not posibly live without a great sound system......I could not possibly count the number of times i have missed an exit because i was so into a song and singing along,listening intently.......OOOPPPPS there goes another exit!!!!    "gia fto fevgo apo ta onira sou,kai kali tixi opou kian pas" ........

Hristaki, i would not be suprized to find myself in canada...When i listen to Dalaras i get focused and locked in........I have a bit of a funny story.There is a local Greek/pizza place here in town.When i visit the place they go and change the music on the store music system to Dalaras(if its not already playing dalaras)when i go there for Dinner some time..They know i love his music and that i am a freind of his...So, they change the music over immediately when i go......

I have to go with listening to him while driving. Especially at night. The best is after the gym. I am all warmed up and I sing along loudly. It 's good that most of time here it really cold so my windows are closed. Otherwise I would be arested for disturbing the peace.

Very nice views!! We all have our own way and we prefer special times for listening to him.

I like to listen to him in all circumstances: when I'm happy, cheerful, angry, calm, disappointed ...always. His songs cover all psychological states, so I can say..I live with them!!

But mainly, I like listening to him when I'm at home, because I like to sing while listening, so it wouldn't be convenient in any other place. I wonder what my neighbours have to say about that!! And you know what(all you who live in cold climates)?Here, in Greece, it's the end of August and the temperature is 35  degrees of Celsius Scale and more, so all the windows are open and..you can imagine what happens!

Altough, I try not to sing loudly between the hours of common peace(2-5 at noon and after the midnight)or if so, I close the windows!!

Eleni, you couldn't be more right, he does have a song for every occasion, every mood. Or more than one song.

I do give in to the singing urge too... especially in the car, but also around the house, doing "busy" things like washing dishes or ironing and so on.

But don't you folk agree that he also has a lot of "shut up and listen" songs? Whole records even (I'm thinking of Hymnoi angellon... ).

Oh, Geeske, I have to say I like your sense of humour very much!!!! ;)

But, to answer you, I believe that yes there are songs for just listening(like the songs of the record "Ymnoi Aggelwn" ) and enjoying the voice, the music , the lyrics in this way, but most of the songs Dalaras has sung are songs that challenge you to sing them at the same time. They excite people, so they can't just "shut up and listen"!!! They feel the strong desire to participate to all this!!!

(Edited by Eleni Kapsala at 1:57 pm on Aug. 31, 2001)

Once I've even forgotten to go to work. I found myself on the parking of the supermarket, wondering what I was doing there. Lucky for me I'm always a little early at work. I was enjoying so much the latin songs.

At nights Dalaras keeps me awake. When I go to a party, I get in the mood by his music in my car, when I feel stressed after work, I relax, when I'm in a good mood I (try to) sing along and all my neighbours can enjoy it too, and so I could go on and on, always there is Dalaras and his voice, his music, his songs, his so pure and lovely voice I like to listen to.

Kalo savatokiriako,

Micki

As I read all the posts to this thread I'm doubting if I'm real Dalaras fan!!

During the week it's about one hour per day I'm listening, in the evening, after work.

O.k. I'm not driving around with the car (here I would do the same as you!), my trip to work is only 5min. with the bus, to short to enjoy.

The best place and time to listen to Dalaras for me is:

- late afternoon

- little wind

- on the beach ( in Greece of course!)

- with the walkman

and changing between closing the eyes and looking to the sea!

At this moment I don't know what I like best, the warm of the sun, the light cool caressing by the wind, the blue of the see, the slowly playing bouzouki, or this marvellous voice in my ears!

Just imagine to listen to 'Η νύχτα' Σταύρος Ξαρχάκος in this way!! Perfect!

And - in about 3 weeks I'll do it!!!

LOL

my drive to work is one ans a half songs if I am not pretending to myself that I am looking for a parking spot. even funnier is when I come back home where I don't have to look for a spot. Today I pretended I was reading the Economist for 5 minutes after I parked, waiting for Nyhterida to end (actually wanted to hear him saying Στο διάολο να παει).

The other day my son asked me, to bring him and his friends to a disco. In the car there was a CD from Dalaras. When they hear the CD they say:Who to #### is that man ,with such a wonderfull voice?

Aren't I lucky then? 50 mn bicycling in the morning with Dalaras in both ears. And the same in the evening.

And hiding behind the door of the bicycle shed, waiting for the song to end. Every other night at least. Oh yes, we're all mad together.

Anna, you're lucky too. That beach! I must be even better than bed.

Ok it looks like its my turn now

Well for starters I do agree with Saranti,

got to have some cds of Dalaras in the car while  

I'm drinving but being I'm from the Mortor City,

well there is just way too much traffic and congestion on the road to enojoy it.  Such as lots &   lots of Construction.  

An advantage to that would be I will get to hear more songs played over and over

but the disadvantage is you can't pay close attention the taximia and the lyrics of his voice in risk you may hit someone.

Now if I'm driving in the country on a major freeway, then much better just as long as there is no construction or accidents on the road.  Don't like sitting still when suppose to be driving. Dalaras singing helps but not that much  here unfortunately.

Although the traffic is worse in Toronto and Los Angelos.

I'm more a bit of an extremist I say

I tend to listen to Dalaras late at night in the basement around 12:00-2:30 before coming into the club and post on the board such as tonite for example.

I find that this is one of the better  times for me because, the street and neighborhood are so quiet only because there all sleeping of course like I should be.

No one upstairs is watching television  to distract the sound and volume,

and most importantly the telepohone will not ring at this late hour to interrupt my music and concentration.

The bad thing is why it doenst always work as you may have guessed it is

that I may play the Dalaras music to loud and it will disturb my sisters sleep or wake my other family members up and then starts all the screaming and hollering.

Turn it off were trying to sleep.

and yet I'm  2 floors down playing the music at what I think is a comfortable setting.  

Ohh well  I guess

sound does travel through the vents.

Me I'm quite lucky I only have 15 minutes drive to work but then I play CD's all day long on my computer as I'm working - ok I can't play them loud to distrub other people and I have to work as well!!!!  But it's great even as background music.  Then at home later I can play them loud as my nearest neighbours are not that close.

I probably enjoy listening best in bed with headphones, drifting in my own little world singing along etc.

I also take my walkman to the beach - my husband works in a large hotel and on Sundays if he's working sometimes I will get a sunbed near the pool, lie under the umbrella, read a book and/or listen to my CD's.  This is very relaxing but I get accused of being anti-social - but who cares. NOT ME!!!

Whell my turn. I also hear Dalaras all day long. In fact my parents and my friends are bored to listening to him! Can you imagine that?! Bored?! How can they say so,I could never understand it... However I do prefer the nights. He is a great company especially for me that I suffer from insomnia. How many sleepless nights have turned that way into great private Dalaras-parties...

I also recall listening to Dalaras every morning before going to school during my exams as Nikolas said. I would wake up earlier, I would hear one song, then make a quick review, hear another one and leave. At least that was the plan... What really happened  was me waking up very early, putting on the headphones in order not to wake the others and listening to Dalaras in my bed untill mum would wake up and start yelling at me "I don't believe you! What are you still doind in bed? You said you had to study. Can't you realise it's your future on the stake? Wake up! You'll be late!..." if only she knew, she would have dissapear all my CDs and cassetes...

I also enjoy listening to Dalaras while on the road. Especially now that I will have to go to the University whitch is about one hour from home, it's definately I will have my diskman together...

Finally I do listen to his songs everytime I have to do something important. I consider it good luck. And of course anytime I'm sad or happy, depressed or lazy, worried or calm... You see I think I can spesify a particular time. I do hear him 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year sinse 1997...

It's been three years now that I have been sleeping hearing Dalaras' songs. Even if I can't sleep, his voice will make me relax and sleep... (especially the Latin songs)

Of course I have many songs of Dalaras in mp3s. Whenever I use my PC (now for example) I have Dalaras mp3s playing in random order. So far I have 478 mp3s of Dalaras, and am adding more day by day.

I agree that there are many songs for all kinds of moods. Whether you are happy or sad, troubled or easy-going there is always a song of Dalaras that suits your condition.

I have to admit though, that there are some songs that no matter my mood I always enjoy hearing.

One great song that noone has mentioned is "Dromoi Palioi" by Mikis Theodorakis and lyrics by Manolis Anagnwstakhs(poet). It is one of my best songs. (From the 2-disc set live recording of  "100 years of cinema and Mikis Theodorakis" in Herodium)

(Edited by Astron at 4:25 pm on Sep. 11, 2001)

When my longing for Greece takes me over, when I feel like a stranger without roots, I put on a Dalaras-CD, lay myself on the bed and I can imagine I am where I want to be, where my heart is..

I'm listening to Dalaras when I'm sad and it heals me. I'm listening to Dalaras when I'm happy and it makes me laugh. No other music moves me like his. Only when I listen to his music I feel at home.

Some of you sleep listening to Dalaras. As I don't have a cd player and as I prefer, I sleep listening to the radio. A moment comes and I sleep...The weird thing is that when they put a song of Dalaras, I somehow wake up!

Indeed Eleni, it does. Certainly in periods of crisis it makes you think, use your mind. That's something that many people do not understand. Many of Dalaras songs have great meaning of love, peace, justice... But you have to listen to them carefully,analyze them, not just hear them and let them go...And this is something that we do not do very often, do we? We are hooked in our lifes, in the everyday routine, rushing around in order to be on time... So there's no time to think...

Sometimes there's even no time to live.How long sinse you've made a promenade? For me very long... You see,I'm always running. As if I'm running from myself...

The worse trouble I'm in, the more music means to me.

These days songs keep jumping out to grab me and force to think, to face things... Also, to comfort me.

Ach, were would I be now without Dalaras?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead