nikolas

Dalaras Unofficial Website

62 posts in this topic

Hello dear friends

It is true that the website has not been updated for quite a long time. Latest albums are missing (two I think) and many many photos should have to move from the forum to the photos section. I am aware of all these.

I am starting this topic to ask for anything at all that you think should be done. When I say anything at all, I mean exactly anything at all. I would like suggestions of two types. One type of suggestions is missing information in the current website. This means, a missing album, song, mistakes etc. The other type of suggestions is related to a possible (but not certain at all) redesign of the website. Of course this is a further look to things, as plenty of time is needed.

Also, I would like to build a volunteers group of persons who will have some kind of access to something that I will takae care of in order to update things when it is necessary (for example concerts etc).

I have to say that the way the website is built at the moment doesn't allow a lot of dreaming. But a restructuring action might allow some dreams...So. Anything at all! :)

p.s: let's keep this topic very focused to its subject

:what:

Nikolas, is there any chance now we might get the site to all our non speaking Greek Friends in English?

As the Frames on the left are all in Greek, will we ever see them in English again? Maybe some of us or all of us in here can share a small part or role to the re-structuring and re-designing of the site the way it would best fit the needs of all the members in here per say.

Other then that I'm quite :satisfied: with the site.

I have several suggestions. However, before we start daydreaming I would like to know something more about what is considered a copyright violation. So, if anyone can give us a short, to the point description of things that would get Nikolas in trouble if posted, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am volunteering to translate anything you like into English, and even to upload it myself (I'll need a bit of coaching but it can't be hareder to learn than Greek...). I' m sure there will be plenty of people to help me over the hard bits and to proofread.

However, before we start daydreaming I would like to know something more about what is considered a copyright violation.

Nikolas,

This is my BIGGEST concern, also!!!

"ETSI"...!!

Hristaki

Christo and Geeske, a good idea would be to create language files. This will not be hard at all for the navigation and menu buttons. Though, for the content itself (lyrics, albums etc) it will be very difficult. For the first, I guarantee. For the rest, I don't.

Soc and Hristaki, we have been around for 5 years with no big problems. Even a cover taken from a magazine or a photo from a newspaper violates something, doesn't it? Not to mention lyrics, tabs etc. Suggestions may be made without considering these. Besides, there is something working anyway. I am looking for ways to make it more customisable, updateable (if there are such words) and actually useful.

So, we may skip this for the moment...unless you mean something that I easily overcame...

Nikolas,

Re: Copyright violations.

I, guess you have Giorgo, on your side!!! :D:D

"ETSI"...!!

Hristaki :what::satisfied:

I'm in too. Whatever I can do.

The idea is very nice.

An other idea on the top of my (not so long anymore) curls: a sort of filing the older topics to not get lost in the actual forum maybe?

If other ideas come up, I'll tell them.

Micki

Hm, I think Nikolas intended YOU to tell HIM ideas for things to do... not the other way around...

One thing I would like, and I'm not the only one, is to put back in the "comments about each record" that were in the old site. I only managed to decifer one or two of them before they disappeared and I remember them as really really useful.

Also, Nikolas, I once sent you an email with some small things, corrections etc, mostly about the discography - if you no longer have it, I'll look it up when I get home...

Another thing that might be interesting (but it could be a bother to input) is to make clear the differences between the LP and CD version of an album (mark the missing tracks in some way, maybe).

You already mentionned the idea of putting the print-it-yourself booklets with translated lyrics in with the album they are for. I guess that would be good. It could be even more useful if someone who has the software (I don't) could turn them into pdf files, to maybe print more neatly. I don't know, I haven't had much feedback on how they actually come out as print.

Have you thought that instead of adding files with song translations in this site, a link to the "little brother" would do the job? (stixoi.info I mean, where it's so nice and easy to upload them). I don't know if it's practical, at all, it just occured to me.

It could be even more useful if someone who has the software (I don't) could turn them into pdf files, to maybe print more neatly. I don't know, I haven't had much feedback on how they actually come out as print.

I have such software. We could have a try if you like.

:music:

I think if I could have 1 thing entirely in ENGLISH?

it would be all the topics you have from the INTERVIEWS.

On the Frames with all the links within the site,

most of the Interviews are all in Greek,

Too timesaking and combersome for me to comprehend every word

written not along decipher it's meaning before and after.

How about a few fo these in English,

Geske & Olga since you've both mastered Greek so well

would you be up for the task? Or perhaps this is a bit way too much to ask for?

:music:

:)

Christo, yes, let's have interviews translated in English, as many as we can.

Two ways of doing this:

1. get together the translations that have been posted here and there in the forum (this will take some searching)

2. make new translations - an immense lot of work, but I will love it.

The big problem is that Dalaras has a very personal, idiomatic way of expressing himself, and is often quite hard to understand. But there is help available. We'll get there.

No, DON'T go on like this, please. Of the last 10 posts in this topic, 7 are not just off-topic, but practically meaningless for all except two people. Use the PM please and stop clogging the forum!

Don't worry, Geeske, you'll soon go back to Greece... :confused:

Now back to the topic: what about the pdf software you were talking about? I have such software on my desktop and could help if you like...

I don't know how much I can help. Perhaps proof read english texts and also proof play songs with chords if such will be included in the site. I can also put chords to songs if that is wanted.

Merci.....

And, one more thing:

we have older and new members, let's leave to the new ones more time to learn the rules of this Community better. Perhaps should we ask Nikola himself to add some informative sentences to the "Pinned" point fir new members? The infos concerning messenger and the more free parts of this forum? It would be of advantage, I think.

The first thing to do when recontructing the website should be , in my opinion, to install a survey in "discography" . Or did I overlook something ? I am aware that the whole discography (or almost the whole? ) is in the web , however I found no easy way of access. The thing is that if a user has not yet perfect knowledge of what has been ever published it?s hard to get it by way of the website. If I know the title of a song I may use the search machine, and supposed I typed the words correctly - not easy for Non-Greeks - it will lead you to the CD where it is on , and may be to one or two furthers that appeared at that time .The other way, to go by the URL`s is not very practically, I think.

I constructed an 'offline-discography' using several concert guides. Then I tried to find the editions in the web by known songs, in most cases I succesfully.The rest was only a work of copying , and so , of course , it's not really a new elaboration, but has come to be very informative to me.

If anyone can help me to close the gaps I'll be grateful. I would like to mention yet that I left out for the first the so-called 'collaborations', e.g. participations in editions of other artists.

Herbert

Dalaras_Discography.doc

... a technical problem occurred thereafter. I wanted to upload a second DOC-file called 'editions' which automatically opens when entering a hyperlink in the 'Dalaras-Discorgraphy'. I'm sorry, no idea what do to.

Herbert

... a technical problem occurred thereafter. I wanted to upload a second DOC-file called 'editions' which automatically opens when entering a hyperlink in the 'Dalaras-Discorgraphy'. I'm sorry, no idea what do to.

Herbert

Click on the title of each album title with the right button of your mouse, Herbert. You'll find the URLs.

But why are you doing all this ? The Dalaras discography is very well organized on the site (Albums classified chronologically, etc...)

and supposed I typed  the words correctly  - not easy  for  Non-Greeks

not easy at the beginning, but this is a Greek site. I think a minimum knowledge of the Greek alphabet is required and is not that difficult to acquire. :)

Herbert

The albums in the discography section of the site are listed in chronological order....from the main menu (left panel) of http://www.dalaras.com click on the discography or δισκογραφία button and you will get there.

Nikola,

I'm sorry, but I went very often to 'discography'.

I find there 4 buttons:

ΠΡΟΣΟΠΙΚΟΙ

ΣΥΜΜΕΤΟΧΕΣ

ΣΥΛΛΟΓΕΣ

ΑΝΑΥΗΤΗΣΗ

Clickin' on either of the two first buttons nothings happens! I only get results on the last two buttons, and the Αναζήτηση I used to visit very often !

What's wrong ?

Herbert

Herbert

There should be a box with 4 options, each one for a 10 year period (e.g 1969-1979 etc) when you click on these buttons. For the last two you don't have this box because all contents fit in one page.

Normally, you can't see this box because you are using a quite old browser. Though, I take it in account and will make it different in the next reconstruction. Until then, can you upgrade? :)