Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
francois

Παρίσι (Φεβρουάριος 2003)

116 posts in this topic

The second song that moved me tremendously on Sunday was Να με θυμάσαι As I understood that it was that song, αμέσως ανατρίχιασα πάρα πολύ και άρχισα να βλέπω μπροστά μου το βασανισμένο από την αρρώστεια πρόσωπο της Μελίνας.

The song by Nino Rota was a great and nice surprise for me too and the duet with Deborah rather pleasant.

I was amazed at the great respect the two Georges showed to each other. Μεγάλες στιγμές φιλίας κι ευγένειας.

Yes, Geeske, I think you are right about the audience. The people attending the concert was very respectful of everything

I sometimes found myself dreaming or heavily thinking of the past, of Greece, of my experience of Greek music, and came to the conclusion that I will love that music forever, Dalaras being one of the strongest and most powerful expressions of it today.

Thats all for the moment

Hi everyone,

since I'm new to the forum (just discovered it two days or so before the concert), I'm not so familiair with your 'incrowd' news, memories, meetings at the olympic café before the concert, haven't met you yet or spoken to any of you, it feels very good to read so much about your experiences last sunday. I felt exactly the same, Υιωργος was moving, great voice, great performance and for me Moustaki was also a memory from my youth. As we had tickets for chairs at the end of the balcony, the sound back there was not to well, but nevertheless it was spectaculair to see the show. (although I think it was indeed a mistake to invite miss meyer.

I don't have time (haha) to read or join this forum every day, but I'll be back soon!

:rolleyes::(:D

After I've finished my work today, I tried now to read some reports here - I can't, I can only look on some beautiful photos made by other members.

The rest I managed today, was just only reading some private posts and

decoration of my wall at home with a portrait of Niki. Do you know, her right, partly preserved hand had in the ancient times almost the same gesture as Kyrios Giorgos now on the photo from Trelloi kai angeloi? Or I should put that in an opposite order perhaps, he made the same gesture as her. Expect another topic in the next days, I'll make a summary of that I learned now about her.

I can't add any informative details about the concert itself now, I'll do it soon, I can only listen to the music and dance. Is, I think, a kind of confirmation, how the quality of these magnificent days was.

All of you, "thank you for the music..."

I don't know indeed, if I could write a more detailed report like most of you did.

The main reason could be this one, that I never heard Deborah Meyers and even about her. And as for George Moustaki, I knew only his name before.

But the most important thing I noticed at the concert, was this one:

how fully concentrated and serious, not to say "deadly severe" was Giorgos Dalaras at the beginning.

And how sweetly relaxed he became, just only sitting with his guitar and hearing to George Moustaki, singing for him.

After the concert Henk was trying to say, how many concert Giorgos Dalaras had in the last two months - more than 40 - an immense, huge work and efforts.

So, no wonder, if he looked sooo deeply concentrated then.

Tired? No, I hadn't this one impression. Eveything, but not this one.

The best songs of the concert were for me as follows:

1. Na me thimasai kai na m'agapas

2. Avre tu puerta cerrada

The two beloved ones, two great waltzes from the "Israel" CD, the latest one, as many of you know, I adore immensely, because it was its translation into Greek I understood effortless as the first Greek text read by myself in my life. If I hear this at home, I never sit, I must dance immediately.

THE song of the evening: surely "Theos' an einai", with, every time I can hear that in the concert, eeeend-less long, always longer instrumental introduction.

My "intime" favourites: the three;

- Dromoi palloi", Marijke's song, and as I met her there the first time, I was really moved. Besides, the only song of the concert we could slightly join in as an audience (I don't mean clapping and summing the other ones)

- O ouranos fevgei varis

- Mi mou thimoneis, immediately after the last one, and the first time I've heard that not at the very end of the concert.

How can I thank Henk for his presence close to me during this one song.

Even if I told that already, Henk, megali kardia, thank you.

The song "These were the days", very well known and popular in Poland. I enjoyed this even during the concert, where it was possibly not so very right on it's place.

And "Omorfi poli", definitely the song for a man's voice, because of the text, was this time not good, distixos, because the voices of Deborah and Giorgos did not sui each other there (exactly the same impression as I have always by Emma Shaplin's performance).

It's not even the problem of the colours of the voices - they both can sound well indeed. It was not that they both did not catch a needed harmony there - it happens after all. But this not "exactly" Greek pronunciation of one of the most marvellous Theodorakis' love songs.... mmmm.....

:D

As for the second Mikis Theodorakis' song, I was glad the "America insurrecta" finished exactly in the moment I stop hearing that at home, too. I can't stand this song, any time indeed. Not my kind of music at all.

Maciej Żółtowski [ pronunciation approximately: dzuutowski], as Marian already mentioned, said afterwards, more songs were even prepared:

Karteroymeni

Logariasate lathos.

But even the America" was not given aas the whole, on purpose. Giorgos Dalaras did not want it this time, if I understood well.

Maciej Żółtowski, a Polish conductor, got simply a contract for the Cypriot Orchestra and told me, it was not the last common project with Kyrio Giorgo, they are already thinking about the next ones. As soon as I know more details one day, I'll let all of you know. It can mean we meet one day at my place indeed, perhaps with Grzegorz TUrnau singing "Louloudi", too.

One of the players, oboe player P[iotr?] Dynowski, was from Warsaw, too.

As you know, no backstage possible this time, well, we were waiting and getting cold; never mind, our heros may be after all tired after his great works :rolleyes:

And, a problem with the overcrowded hall was with the dressing rooms and toilets, too.

:pity::pity:

:(:D:D:blush::D

As I looked afterwards to the "Virgin" in the Louvre, they had:

"Ta xromata toy xronou", both parts;

Megales epityxeies,

Iera Odos 1 and II,

Thesssaloniki - Yannena,

Apo kardias

two titles of Giannis Parios;

Thalassografies and Ta tragoudia tis Xaroulas (Manos Loizos)

Eleni Karaindrou - Giorgos Dalaras at Irodion 1988

and more titles of Xaris Alexioy, for example "Whispers" and "To paixnidi tis agapis"

A good "representation", but, unfortunately, expensive, too.

How I enjoyed the whole. Kyrie Giorgo, Panie Macieju, dear all;

ΕΥΧΑΡΙΣΤΩ, thank you, dank U, danke, merci, dziękuję bardzo.

Olga,

What happened with the song "poume ta xronia" ? He didn't sang it at all?

If i remenber well is that one you expected to hear from the begining to the end?

He didn't sing it, unfortunately. But he couldn't sing everything, could he? You need more than 2 hours to listen to the "essential Dalaras"... :rolleyes:

And, as Anna pointed out before this, when he is playing with the big classical orchestra, the repertoire is quite predictable, because most of his songs do not have symphonic arrangements written for them.

I supposes the ones for Αμμοχοστός, Γυριγσμός, Καρτερούμεν, η δική μου η πατρίδα... must have been written specially for these concerts.

About the incomplete America Insurecta, it was the same in London and Kopenhagen: the orchestral intro from that, followed by a song fron ’ξιον εστί. Startling!

About the incomplete America Insurecta,

I do think that those musical pieces of the 'Canto General' should only be played and sung along with all the other pieces of the work. It is like a symphony. Play only a bit, and the magic of the work is different, distorted. It is a very powerful and beautiful work, full of very diversified rythms which only have their full meaning in a united execution...

About the ’ξιον εστί, it's a bit different, as 5 of the songs are "laika" songs (those sung by Bithikotsis, two of them having been sung by Dalaras the other day in Paris), and as laika songs, they can be sung separately, together with other songs from other works. Boroun na leitourgoun san aneksarthta tragoudia...

I very much liked the way Dalaras sang "Tis agapis aimata" !!! :rolleyes:

And now that we are speaking of songs in Spanish, I must say that I didn't like the orchestration of 'El emigrante' very much, although I appreciated Kontoyiannis' introduction on the guitar, neither did I appreciate the short involvement of the orchestra at the beginning of 'Stin Arapia' which of course was tremendously well sung. :):D:D

I wouldn't protest, really, if the orchestra would completely get rid of the interludium between the verses of "Mi moy thimoneis".

I think, it was made for the Israel Orchestra for the first time. Am I right?

But the "classic" version, 1975 in "Sta psila ta parathiria" has no interludium, and so I am used to it. Long enough already :) .

I can't remember, neither, have we had "Itan pente, itan exi" (I see that in the programme) or just this short interrruption, where somebody asked for it and Giorgos answered somewhere like μάλιστα, because it was (almost)exactly six o'clock? Honestly, I don't remember!

There were a lot of members at Paris, and a lot with the camera, so I took only a few.

Here's one with Deborah Myers and Dalaras singing together and it seems, Dalaras has to look for the lyrics!

And it wasn't 'amigos para siempre', where he had to sing in English!

post-3-1045872083.jpg

no, I took these photos when they sung: 'Canzone Arrabbiata'....and this one they did very well together!!

post-3-1045872215.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0