Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Niki

Leyteris Papadopoulos

4 posts in this topic

A friend of mine recorded a programme where Leyteris Papadopoulos speaks about Dalaras. The programme's name is "Makrines Filies" (Long friendships) and each time Papadopoulos speaks about artists that he respects. This time the programme was about Dalaras. These programmes are not long, only 10 minutes and my friend managed to record only half of it. (in really bad quality... ) But I'm thankful to him because he doesn't like Dalaras... Anyway, here 's what Papadopoulos said. In greek first and then the translation!  Whenever you see (?) it means that I wasn't able to hear what he said, and I either left it blank or wrote what I think he said reading his lips. However everything else that is written is exactly his word.  So here we go:

« ...Ο Νταλάρας είναι ένας πολύ μεγάλος καλλιτέχνης. Σήμερα ίσως, ο καλύτερος Έλληνας τραγουδιστής. Και αυτό δεν το πέτυχε στην τύχη. Δεν είναι θέμα μετάλλου η αξία του, είναι θέμα πρωτίστως εργασίας.

Ο Νταλάρας είναι ένας άνθρωπος, ο οποίος εργάζεται νυχθημερών. Ακόμη και την ώρα που κοιμάται το μυαλό του είναι στη δουλειά του, είναι στο τί πρόκειται να κάνει, στο στούντιό του.

Στο σπίτι του έχει ένα ολόκληρο στούντιο (?) με όλα τα (?) μηχανήματα και κυρίως τα όργανα, όπου δοκιμάζει φωνές, μουσικές και προπονείται ώστε να μπορεί,ανά πάσα στιγμή, όταν βρίσκεται στο πάλκο να παίξει ένα τραγούδι. (?)....(?) Είναι ένας  (?) άνθρωπος (?) ορχήστρα. Σπάνια το έχουν αυτό οι τραγουδιστές στο οπλοστάσιό τους.

Οι τραγουδιστές συνήθως βγαίνουν και τραγουδάνε κοιτάζοντας το κοινό. Ο Νταλάρας δεν τραγουδάει κοιτάζοντας το κοινό. Ή τραγουδάει κοιτάζοντας το κοινό, αλλά παίζοντας κιόλας. Ο ίδιος δημιουργεί ένα (?)σύνολο (?).

Δεν είναι πράγματα καθημερινά που μπορεί να τα κάνει ο καθένας. Ή αν μπορεί να τα κάνει ο καθένας, απαιτούν προσπάθεια, αγώνα, μόχθο.

Είναι ένας άνθρωπος ο οποίος επιλέγει με μεγάλη αυστηρότητα το ρεπερτόριό του. Εγώ ξέρω, από πολύ κοντά, πόσο προσπαθεί να βρεί το καλύτερο, εί δυνατόν, τραγούδι για να το πει. Δεν δέχεται ημίμετρα. Αν είναι ένα τραγούδι μέτριο, το παρατάει. Ψάχνει πάντα να βρεί τα καλύτερα.

Βεβαίως υπάρχουν εποχές που τα τραγούδια είναι μέτρια, (?) μουσικά και (?) δισκογραφικά. Το βέβαιο είναι ότι σε όποια εποχή (?)...(?) ο Νταλάρας θα ψάξει να βρει τα καλύτερα τραγούδια. Γι αυτό και ο κόσμος τον δικαιώνει και τον αγαπά.»

Well, the translation will have to wait for tommorow... Exams... :D

Thank you so muck Niki. I really love Lefteris Papadopoulos and I he always says the best for our Dalaras! Stay tuned to ET3, cause it repeats that program "Makrines filies" very often. :)

Here we are:

"Dalaras is a great artist. Today perhaps, the best Greek singer. And he didn't achieve that because of luck. His value is not a matter of metal (in his voice), above all it's a matter of work.

Dalaras is a man who works day and night. Even the time he 's asleep, his mind is in his work, in what he will do, in his studio.

In his house he has a whole studio (?) with all the (?) machines and primarily all the instruments, where he experiments voices, music and he's working out so that he can, anytime, when he is on stage, to play a song. (?) ... (?) He's an orchestra (?) man (?). Rarely do singers have this in their arsenal.

Singers usually come out and sing watching the people. Dalaras does not sing while watching the people. Or he does sing and watch the people, but on the same time he plays music. He, himself, creates a (?) entirety (?).

These are not ordinary things that anyone can do. Or if anyone can do them, they require effort, struggle, labor.

He 's a man, who chooses with great severity his repertoire. Me, I know, from very close, how hard he tries to find the best, if possible, song, to say it. He does not accept half measures and compromises. If a song is mediocre, he abandons it. He always searches for the best.

Of course there are times when the songs are mediocre (?) musically (?) and (?) discographycaly (?). What 's certain is that in any time (?) ... (?) Dalaras will search to find the best songs. That's why people prove him right and love him."

That was all. In between his words Papadopoulos had chose some songs and he showed parts of them. The ones I saw where: Kato ap' to poukamiso (with Kazandzidis), Se touta edo ta marmara (with Theodorakis), Paraponemena logia, Katse n'akouseis mia penia (with Tsitsanis) Hasta Siempre, Taxidi sta Kythira and Senior. I thing there were good choices and indicate that Papadopoulos approves the whole repertoire of Dalaras.    

Plus I wanted to add that in an interview (I can't remember which) Dalaras had mentioned that he cannot fit in only one type of music and that therefore it's eventual that his work may not fit in all people.

Once more for today, Niki, thanks for your translating work! I willl read the original version and the translation one by the another, it's better than any preparation in my Greek language book; and as it's not a song, it will only do well for me (hm, it's the whole me; now: "Kapoia - kapou - kapote"; I don't understand the whole text, but this what I  do understand, is enough for this time in my life. Write me some day again, and best words for your friend, etsi;

Olga

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0