Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Micki

Oι καμπάνες της Αγιάς Σοφιάς

10 posts in this topic

I started to translate (trying) 'Mikra Asia'. Than I suddenly realized that I had the Dutch version. For me, rather confusing, from Greek to Dutch (not by me) than to English. Well, I tried.

And thank you Kate for helping me with the English (and not only this song).

Oι καμπάνες της Αγιάς Σοφιάς // The bells of the Agia Sofia

Μουσική: Απόστολος Καλδάρας // Music: Apostolos Kaldaras

Στίχοι: Πυθαγόρας // Lyrics: Pithagoras

Χτύπησαν το παλικάρι μεσημέρι στο παζάρι // They shot the palikari at noon in the marketplace

σαν πουλί σαν περιστέρι ένα ασκέρι φονικό // as a bird, as a dove, a slaughtering crowd

Κλαίνε κόρες κλαίνε μάνες κλαίει ο ραγιάς // Daughters cry, mothers cry, the Raya * cries

κλαίνε κλαίνε κι οι καμπάνες της Αγιάς Σοφιάς // Also the bells of the Agia Sofia are crying and crying

Κόβουνε απ' τους μπαξέδες γιασεμιά και κατιφέδες // They take jasmine and marigold from the gardens

το χτενίζουν και τ' αλλάζουν και στενάζουν τα στενά // they groomed and dressed him and the backstreets sighed

Κλαίνε κόρες κλαίνε μάνες κλαίει ο ραγιάς // Daughters cry, mothers cry, the Raya * cries

κλαίνε κλαίνε κι οι καμπάνες της Αγιάς Σοφιάς // Also the bells of the Agia Sofia are crying and crying

* A Raya was an non-Mohammedan citizen in the Ottoman Empire

Thank you Micki, for this translation. The ΜΙΚΡΑ ΑΣΙΑ I bought as LP thirty years ago in Greece, but the sense of all these songs remained for a very long time hidden to me.

I'm not sure with your 'they groomed and dressed him ' - what does that mean? What I see here : after the previous inhabitants being driven out, the new owners begin to make something new out of their property. I tried a German version:

ΟΙ ΚΑΜΠΑΝΕΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΓΙΑΣ ΣΟΦΙΑΣ ||DIE GLOCKEN DER HAGIA SOFIA

Μουσική: Απόστολος Καλδάρας

Στίχοι: Πυθαγόρας

Χτύπησαν το παλικάρι μεσημέρι στο παζάρι ||Mittags im Bazar schossen sie auf den jungen Mann

σαν πουλί σαν περιστέρι ένα ασκέρι φονικό ||wie auf einen Vogel, wie auf eine Taube, eine mordende Menge.

Κλαίνε κόρες κλαίνε μάνες κλαίει ο ραγιάς ||Es weinen die Toechter, es weinen die Muetter, es weint der Raya

κλαίνε κλαίνε κι οι καμπάνες της Αγιάς Σοφιάς ||und es weinen die Glocken der Hagia Sofia.

Κόβουνε απ' τους μπαξέδες γιασεμιά και κατιφέδες ||Sie pfluecken aus unserem Garten Jasmin und Studentenblumen

το χτενίζουν και τ' αλλάζουν και στενάζουν τα στενά ||sie veraendern und machen alles neu, und die engen Stra?en seufzen.

Herbert

:)

Herbert, nein!" To xtenizoun" bedeutet "sie kämmen ihn [den Jungen]", "t''allazoun" - vielleicht: "sie ändern seine Kleider"

Und, weil eben Ringelblumen verwendet werden (ist das "die Studentenblume" auch?), die in der pharmazeutischen Industrie zu den Salben verwendet werden, die den Schmerz lindern sollen - vielleicht ist der Junge nicht tot, sondern "nur" schwer verwundet?

Der Rest kommt noch danaach, OK?

Since we were once discussing the names of flowers mentioned in the text (Greek and thoughts about Greek), here it is: a flower used in the ointments for wounds, bruises and hurts. What makes me believe the young boy from the text is still alive.... how important was it during the war now, heavy to say.

post-9-1051721120.jpg

When I follow your interpretation, Olga, then 'they shot ...' would have been to replaced by 'they attacked ...'. But in this case I would have a problem with ' as a bird, as a dove ,a slaughtering crowd'.

χτενίζω normally means to comb , I know, but here I think it could be more ' they help him up' .

Ringelblumen: nicht nur schoen, sondern auch hilfreich, wie du richtig anmerkst ( meine botanischen Kenntnisse sind leider nicht so gut, dass ich sagen koennte, ob ein Unterschied zu Studentenblumen besteht; mein Woerterbuch nennt hier beide Begriffe). Ich nehme auch gerne die Ringelblumen !

Herbert

:D

OK , Olga, dann lassen wir die erste Zeile wie sie ist. Die zweite Strophe habe ich wie folgt abgeaendert:

Sie pfluecken aus unseren Gaerten Jasmin und Ringelblumen,

helfen ihm auf und versorgen ihn, und die engen Stra?en seufzen.

Einverstanden ?

Herbert

:D

Ja, Herbert: und wenn ich das schreibe, ist es gerade von dem schweren Erdbeben im Südosten von Türkei die Rede.... als ob wäre es nach dem Krieg noch nicht genug....

The today heard noble sounds of the King Sigismund Bell in the castle of Cracow (a rather seldom occassion, because the bell's weight is

11 000 kg and it was made 1520) - to all the the Kampanes tis Agias Sofias.

And a festive addition, how could I have forgotten the text before:

ALME

CAESAR

VATIS

TUI

MISERERE

DOMINE *

Such an antiphon wrote once a poet Taliarch, the son of a barrelmaker,

being in a state of deep sorrow, and wrote it for the five most famous bells of Byzanz.

And the name of the first bell sounds: Eutyfron,

of the second one: Archangelus,

of the third one: Nikolaus

of the fourth one: Gerion,

of the fifth one: Acroceraunia.

Such are the names of the bells.

And, when the bells were playing the Taliarch's antiphon, it is said, that the music made a golden shadow on the 1200 cuppolas, the crows were given golden wings, the clouds became light green, and the statue of Niobe, standing on the Place of Michael the Archistrategos, more joyful....

The Gerion bell was th most joyful one among all the bells-brothers: the statue of Niobe in grief was almost moving her hand, as if asking for a comb, listening to it.

And, when the days were fulfilled and Mahomet the Second came weith his army to The City, the Niobe figure fell down and lost the head. Then the poet Taliarch, the son of a barrelmaker, came out of his prison, kidnapped the head and escaped to Florence.

Dante was already almost one hundred and fifty years not more alive...."

* Ave Caesar, vatis tui miserere, Domine" - "Caesar, be merciful to your singer".

The text is a small fragment of one of the best Polish poems, "Niobe", written 1951 by an outstanding poet Konstanty Ildefons Galczynski. It is dedicated to a Roman copy of a Greek Niobe statue, what was made in original some 4 Cent. B.C. The head is now in the Nieborow palace, close to Warsaw, Poland.

ΟΙ ΚΑΜΠΑΝΕΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΓΙΑΣ ΣΟΦΙΑΣ_____||_____ The bells of Agia Sofia

Μουσική: Απόστολος Καλδάρας_____||_____ Music: Apostolos Kaldaras

Στίχοι: Πυθαγόρας_____||_____ Lyrics: Pythagoras

Χτύπησαν το παλικάρι μεσημέρι στο παζάρι_____||_____ They have struck down the palicari

σαν πουλί σαν περιστέρι ένα ασκέρι φονικό_____||_____ like a bird, like a dove - A murderous mob.

Κλαίνε κόρες κλαίνε μάνες κλαίει ο ραγιάς_____||_____ The daughters are weeping, the mothers are weeping, the ragias is weeping,

κλαίνε κλαίνε κι οι καμπάνες της Αγιάς Σοφιάς_____||_____ the bells of Agia Sofia are weeping, weeping!

Κόβουνε απ' τους μπαξέδες γιασεμιά και κατιφέδες_____||_____ They are cutting from the gardens jasmine and marigolds,

το χτενίζουν και τ' αλλάζουν και στενάζουν τα στενά_____||_____ they are combing him, changing his clothes - and the alleys sighing.

Κλαίνε κόρες κλαίνε μάνες κλαίει ο ραγιάς_____||_____ The daughters are weeping, the mothers are weeping, the ragias is weeping,

κλαίνε κλαίνε κι οι καμπάνες της Αγιάς Σοφιάς_____||_____ the bells of Agia Sofia are weeping, weeping!

* Palicari: a brave & beautiful young man.

* Ragias: in the Ottoman empire, all non-muslim (subject) people such as Christians and Jews were called 'ragias'; they paid heavier taxes than Muslims did, theoretically to compensate for their not doing military service.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0