Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Micki

Tι να θυμηθώ τι να ξεχάσω

10 posts in this topic

Tι να θυμηθώ τι να ξεχάσω // What to remember, what to forget

Μουσική: Απόστολος Καλδάρας // Music: Apostolos Kaldaras

Στίχοι: Πυθαγόρας // Lyrics: Pithagoras

Σαν ήμουνα παιδί κι εγώ φτερούγισα απ' την κούνια // As a child I fluttered from the cradle too

όμως μαχαίρια έβλεπα στης Πόλης τα καντούνια // but I saw knives in the Citys alleys

Κυνηγημένος μιαν αυγή ετράβηξα τους δρόμους // One morning, I took off in the streets, hunted

φωτιά στα πόδια μου η γη κι η μοναξιά στους ώμους // the earth was fire in my feet and loneliness on my shoulders

Φέρτε μου νερό να ξεδιψάσω και μια πέτρα για να ξαποστάσω // Bring me water to quench my thirst and a rock to rest on.

τι να θυμηθώ τι να ξεχάσω απ' όσα πέρασα // what to remember, what to forget from all that Ive been through

At first a big smile, MIcki, for one of my favourites with the introduction.....

comments soon!

Just the first verse with this "kai ego" is a problem for me already.

Where exactly should this "kai"belong to?

I ask because of this pause in the Giannis Fertis' interpretation:

San imouna paidi kai ego //

fterougisa......

and not

san imouna paidi //,

kai ego fterougisa ap'tin kounia......

:):razz::):):)

Any idea to put it into English, Francois?

I still have difficulties there. Althought I understand, what is meant in Greek.... Does it mean my Greek can be better than English?:)

Θυμάσαι;

Μα θα μπορούσες να βοηθήσεις εδώ ακόμα, ε;

This "rock", how to connect it with the αποστασία, so: dissent, distance...

It seems not to be so "calm" like simply "rest on", it's like looking for help before falling down. At least for me reading this text.

Lean against? or something more strong?

One remark only to στης Πόλης τα καντούνια: I don`t think alleys to be the common place where knifes are drawed. I think of empty courtyards or similar places you should better avoid to go in (deutsch vielleicht: Hinterhof).

Herbert

:)

"alley = a narrow lane or passage, esp. one between or behind buildings"

Collins English dictionary p. 39

seems to me like an ideal place for knives to be drawn... :)

dear Micki

just to remind you that in greek Poli, when it is written with capital letter, has only one meaning, that is Konstantinupoli, diladi modern Istanbul. As this song is from or about Mikra Asia the writer wants to mention the Konstantinupoli. Ke twra i Ellines tis Polis lene etsi...

and one other thing, Romiosini can be tranlated to english as greek spirit, but maybe it is important to note that, during the Byzantine period, the greeks and oli i lai tis mikras asias legonte Romai, which means the romans. thats way today turks call the greeks of Konstantinupoli as Rum. So i think the writer of the song again refers to the ellines tis mikras asias. etsi :):music:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0