Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Εσμεράλδα

2 posts in this topic

It has been a looooong time since I indulged in proper, thorough, take-your-time, poetic song-translation. What a pleasure!

And how I love Kavvadias. Even though there are always bit I don't really understand.

ΕΣΜΕΡΑΛΔΑ || ESMERALDA

Μουσική: Θάνος Μικρούτσικος || Music: Thanos Mikroutsikous

Στίχοι: Νίκος Καββαδίας || Lyrics: Nikos Kavvadias

Translation with thanks to Hero Hokwerda's excellent Dutch version

Ολονυχτίς τον πότισες με το κρασί του Μίδα || All night you made him drink the wine of Midas

κι ο φάρος τον ελίκνιζε με τρεις αναλαμπές. || and the lighthouse whirls him round with three flashes of light

Δίπλα ο λοστρόμος με μακριά πειρατική πλεξίδα || Nearby [sits] the boatswain with the pirate's long braid [of hair]

κι αλάργα μας το σκοτεινό λιμάνι του Gabes. || and farther from us [we see] the dark harbour of Gabes

Απά στο γλυκοχάραμα σε φίλησε ο πνιγμένος || In the sweet dawn the drowned man kissed you

κι όταν ξυπνήσεις με διπλή καμπάνα θα πνιγείς. || and when you wake, with the two bell tolls, you will drown

Στο κάθε χάδι κι ένας κόμπος φεύγει ματωμένος || With every caress, one more drop falls, a drop of blood

απ' το σημάδι της παλιάς κινέζικης πληγής. || from the scar of the old wound from China.

Ο παπαγάλος σου 'στειλε στερνή φορά το «γεια σου» || The parrot sent you, for the last time, the "Ahoy!"

κι απάντησε απ' το στόκολο σπασμένα ο θερμαστής, || and the stoker answered, in broken words, from his furnace room,

πέτα στο κύμα τον παλιό που εσκούριασε σουγιά σου || "throw into the waves that old knife of yours, it has rusted,

κι άντε μονάχη στον πρωραίον ιστό ** να κρεμαστείς. || and go onto the foredeck to hang yourself **, alone.

Γράφει η προπέλα φεύγοντας ξοπίσω «σε προδίνω» || The ship's screw, leaving, writes behind it: "I betray you"

κι ο γρύλος τον ξανασφυράει στριγγά του τιμονιού. || and helm's cricket** whistles it back shrilly

Μη φεύγεις. Πες μου, το 'πνιξες μια νύχτα στο Λονδίνο || Don't go. Tell me, where, did you drown it, one night in London

ή στα βρωμιάρικα νερά κάποιου άλλου λιμανιού; || or in the oily waters of some other harbour?

Ξυπνάν οι ναύτες του βυθού ρισάλτο ** να βαρέσουν || The seamen of the deep have woken to sound the **

κι απέ να σου χτενίσουνε για πάντα τα μαλλιά. || and come to do your hair for you, once and for all.

Τρόχισε κείνα τα σπαθιά του λόγου που μ' αρέσουν || Sharpen those swords of words, the ones I like

και ξαναγύρνα με τις φώκιες πέρα στη σπηλιά || and come back with the seals, into the caves.

Τρεις μέρες σπάγαν τα καρφιά και τρεις που σε καρφώναν || For three days the nails kept breaking and for three days they nailed you,

και συ με τις παλάμες σου πεισματικά κλειστές || and you, with your hands clenched tight into fists,

στερνή φορά κι ανώφελα ξορκίζεις τον τυφώνα || for the last time, and in vain, you [tried to] charm [away] the typhoon

που μας τραβάει για τη στεριά με τους ναυαγιστές || which drives us onto the last shore, with the beachcombers *

The ** marks words that were beyond my dictionary.

I'm especially curious about the cricket and the helm or rudder of the ship - hoping for some picturesque sailor's tale.

* Ναυαγιστές means a wrecker (who lures ships onto the shoals to plunder the wreck) or beachcomber (who visits the beach after a shipwreck to reclaim useful things that float ashore). The limit between the two, of course, is often vague.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0