Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι

12 posts in this topic

I haven't heard this one for ages, but it keeps running through my mind today. Like the "Pallas" record that I posted the other day, it is an old, old love, from the days of cassette tapes and not-a-word-of-Greek, from two lifetimes ago - or is it three?

I cleared out what was left of those tapes, the other day. They were crumbling with age, but it was a bit of a wrench, even so, to throw them out. So many memories tied to them!

Anyway - here is the song, a translation that's been sitting around for ages, unposted. Listening will wait till after work - I give myself little rewards...

ΟΙ ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΟΙ ΚΙ ΩΡΑΙΟΙ || THE FREE AND THE FAIR

Μουσική: Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής || Music: Stavros Kougioumtzis

Στίχοι: Μάνος Ελευθερίου || Lyrics: Manos Eleftheriou

Μετάφρασει: Γ.Κ. || Translation: G.K.

Οι φίλοι που 'χω χάσει και δεν κυκλοφορούν || The friends that I have lost , those who are not around,

ουρανούς παλιούς θωρούν και στο περιθώριο ζουν || they are staring at the [same] old heaven and living on the fringe [cut off from the world].

πληρώσαν τα όνειρά τους και πάντα μετρητοίς || They paid [dearly] for their dreams, and always cash down,

τους πληρώσαμε κι εμείς για να μείνουν αφανείς || we are paying, we too, for them to remain in oblivion.

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές || The free and the fair they are living in something like prisons,

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || inside the walls that they built each one of them, in order to live

τις μεγάλες του στιγμές || their great moments.

Εγώ δεν είχα τύχη να ζήσω μαγικά || Me, I had no chance to live [such] magical things.

με δυο ψίχουλα πικρά ζούσα χρόνια στη σκιά || On two bitter little crumbs, I lived for years, in the shadows.

γυρνούσα διψασμένος και βράδιασε νωρίς || I always came home thirsty, and night fell quickly.

και σταγόνες της βροχής είναι αυτά που θα μου πεις || And drops of rain are the things that you will tell me.

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές || The free and the fair they are living in something like prisons,

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || inside the walls that they built each one of them, in order to live

:)

Great Job Geske,

One thing you forgot to mention though,

On the refrain, Dalaras sings

Οι ελέυ, Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι

ζουν σε κά- ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές.

But I think you already knew that.

Like me you're probably wondering how you would write it.

Well something like that I guess.

Basically the same words from the title in the chorus but just repeated in the beginning

hence the song

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι

:music:

Thank you for this Geeske. I really love this song (I remember it being one that made being stuck on a motorway for hours not long ago much more bearable). There are just a few small points.

''νωρίς' means 'early' of course rather than 'quickly' (I've taken this as the translating equivalent of a typo!) but I think 'night came early' would read slightly better here than 'night fell early' as 'night coming' has a more metaphorical meaning than 'night falling' .

'In order to' is quite correct but belongs more in formal reports (as I know since I spend so much of my time writing them :-( ) 'to' would be fine here

There's also a point that I'm not sure about and it would be nice to get another opinion on. Simply from looking at the dictionary my feeling is that 'τους πληρώσαμε κι εμείς για να μείνουν αφανείς' means something like 'we too paid them to stay unseen' (being in oblivion is slightly different since it's something that 'they' would experience) but I don't really know.

ΟΙ ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΟΙ ΚΙ ΩΡΑΙΟΙ || THE FREE AND THE FAIR

Μουσική: Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής || Music: Stavros Kougioumtzis

Στίχοι: Μάνος Ελευθερίου || Lyrics: Manos Eleftheriou

Οι φίλοι που 'χω χάσει και δεν κυκλοφορούν || The friends that I have lost , those who are not around,

ουρανούς παλιούς θωρούν και στο περιθώριο ζουν || they are staring at the [same] old heaven and living on the fringe [cut off from the world].

πληρώσαν τα όνειρά τους και πάντα μετρητοίς || They paid [dearly] for their dreams, and always cash down,

τους πληρώσαμε κι εμείς για να μείνουν αφανείς || we are paying, we too, for them to remain out of sight.

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || inside the walls that they built, each one of them, to live

Εγώ δεν είχα τύχη να ζήσω μαγικά || Me, I had no chance to live [such] magical things.

με δυο ψίχουλα πικρά ζούσα χρόνια στη σκιά || On two bitter little crumbs, I lived for years, in the shadows.

γυρνούσα διψασμένος και βράδιασε νωρίς || I always came home thirsty, and night came early.

και σταγόνες της βροχής είναι αυτά που θα μου πεις || And drops of rain are the things that you will tell me.

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές || The free and the fair, they are living in something like prisons,

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || inside the walls that they built, each one of them, to live

With many thanks to Kate, here is the revised version.

About να μείνουν αφανείς: as I said, this translation has been sitting around a while... and I can't remember what moved me to put "in oblivion" in that line. I don't particularly agree with it now, so I changed it - and I'm ready to change it again at a minute's notice!

Postings taken from another topic:

1. [...]

2. "free and fine" ("ελεύθεροι κι ωραίοι")

1.[...]

2. "ωραίοι" - maybe better the more literal "beautiful" [to the text of the song itself: the free and the beautiful ones]?

The word "ωραίοι" often does not refer to the appearance of people but to their character, their personality etc. So it is in this song, I think. Therefore I chose "fine". Maybe there could be better expressions (e.g. the translation here in the Forum says "fair", if I remember correctly). But I fear a literal translation as "beautiful" would not describe the mentioned specific meaning in English.

[...] but I have [...] still a question: can not the word "beautiful" mean both: the physical appearance and/or the character itself?

To my mind: Yes - it could mean both at the same time. It depends on the context ("τα συμφραζόμενα") in which the "ωραίος" is written. I think in this song ("Οι ελεύθεροι κι ωραίοι") it has only the second meaning (fine, pleasant character, personality etc.).

But Greeks are more competent than me to answer your question correctly ... :)

I kept a translation in my mind of Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι (into German) quite a lot of time : 'Die Schönen und die Reichen' - this means in English: the beautiful ones and the rich ones. It's a common expression in German to describe the propertied classes. The translation I used for the song's title is no word-by-word translation of the greek original, but I always felt, that this might be its meaning in my mother tongue.

DIE SCHÖNEN UND DIE REICHEN

Μουσική: Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής

Στίχοι: Μάνος Ελευθερίου

Die Freunde, die ich verloren habe und in Regungslosigkeit verharren,

betrachten alte Himmel und leben abseits,

sie bezahlten ihre Träume, und stets in bar.

und wir haben sie bezahlt,um unsichtbar zu bleiben.

Die Schönen und die Reichen leben in irgendwelchen Gefängnissen,

in Mauern, die ein jeder von ihnen gebaut hat,

um seine großen Augenblicke zu leben.

Ich hatte nicht das Glück im Zauberland zu leben.

Mit ein paar dürren Krumen fristete ich lange ein Schattendasein,

streifte durstig umher, und früh neigte sich der Tag

doch Regentropfen sind das , wovon du mir erzählen wirst.

Herbert

For those who don't speak German: The following comment refers to Herbert's German translation of the song title ("Οι ελεύθεροι κι ωραίοι" as "Die Schönen und die Reichen" = "The Beautiful Ones and the Rich Ones").

Herbert, mit etwas Nachdenkpause (die man bei Elevtheriou-Texten immer braucht) ein paar Worte zu Deiner Übersetzung des Liedtitels:

Ich glaube, man darf "οι ελεύθεροι κι ωραίοι" nicht mit "die Schönen und die Reichen" übersetzen. Du schreibst ja selbst, dass es sich dabei um einen im Deutschen gebräuchlichen Ausdruck handelt, der die "propertied classes" umschreibt. Ich musste bei deiner Titelwahl auch sofort an eine der US-Seifenopern denken, die bei uns im Fernsehen ausgestrahlt werden und die auch so (oder so ähnlich) heißt: "Die Reichen und die Schönen", glaube ich. Aber genau die meint doch Elevtheriou nicht, sondern jene, die "abseits leben" (wie Du das zutreffend übersetzt hast):

- "Reich" sind sie nicht im materiellen Sinn, sondern allenfalls im Sinne von "frei", und zwar "frei" im Sinne von "ihren Träumen treu geblieben" (so in etwa).

- "Schön" sind sie nicht (unbedingt) in der äußeren Erscheinung, aber in ihrem Charakter, in ihrer Persönlichkeit.

Gerade diese Nuancen erschließen sich aber nicht durch die deutschen Audrücke "reich" bzw. "schön". Man müsste (meiner Meinung nach) ungefähr in folgende Richtung übersetzen:

"Die Freien und die Redlichen".

(als Provisorium - ohne eingehende Analyse des Liedtextes)

Michael, wenn meine Interpretation des Liedtitels nicht das ist, was Eleftheriou wohl meinte, bin ich sofort bereit mich zu korrigieren.

Es fällt mir jedoch nicht leicht zu verstehen, dass ausgerechnet die 'Freien und die Redlichen' die Unfreiheit wählen sollten, um darin 'ihre großen Augenblicke zu erleben'.

Ich werde aber noch einmal darüber nachdenken...

Herbert

Es fällt mir jedoch nicht leicht zu verstehen, dass ausgerechnet die 'Freien und die Redlichen' die Unfreiheit wählen sollten, um darin 'ihre großen Augenblicke zu erleben'.

Herbert, ersetze mal gedanklich "Unfreiheit" durch "Isolation":

Um (innerlich) ihre "großen Momente" erleben zu können (heißt wohl: um ihren Träumen treu zu bleiben), mussten sich die "ελεύθεροι κι ωραίοι" von ihrer Umwelt (von der Gesellschaft) abschotten das sind meinem Verständnis nach die "Wände", die sie um sich herum erbaut haben und die eine Art Gefängnis bilden. "Gefängnis" also mehr im Sinne von: "(Freiwillig) in ihrer eigenen Welt eingeschlossen". Auch das ist natürlich eine Art Unfreiheit, aber eben mehr in der Bedeutung von: "sich bewusst hinter selbst erbaute Mauern zurückziehen".

Sieh dir mal den Interpretationsversuch zum Lied "Θέλω να φύγω σ επαρχία" an:

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?act...dc89bf5230fd4bd

Ich glaube, in beiden Liedtexten ist das Grundmotiv das Gleiche:

Freiwillig gewählter Rückzug von der Gesellschaft, um sich selbst bzw. seinen Ideen / Träumen treu zu bleiben. Symbolisiert wird der Ort des Rückzugs einmal durch die "επαρχία" und das andere Mal durch "φυλακές" und "τοίχους".

Dieser Interpretation kann ich mich anschließen, besten Dank dafür, Michael, und auch für den Hinweis auf die Diskussion im Forum zum Lied Θέλω να φύγω σ'επαρχία ( das ich schon immer sehr geschätzt habe), die mir jedoch bisher ganz entgangen war.

For our non-German-speaking friends a brief summary of our discussion of what means Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι :

Michael wrote : to live (inwardly) their great moments (να ζήσει τις μεγάλες του στιγμές), to be true to one's dreams, the 'Free and the Fair' had to seal themselves off from environment, from society, had to build walls around them (μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας) , a prison in the sense of: to be enclosed voluntaryly in their own world (ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές).

The same basic motive he sees in the song Θέλω να φύγω σ'επαρχία. There: retreat to the country (instead of prison).

I can follow to this interpretation. The translation I posted in German however was based partially on a different idea .So here, to correct it, once more the song in German:

---

Die Freien und die Redlichen

Musik : Stavros Kouyoumtzis

gr. Text: Manos Eleftheriou

Die Freunde, die ich verloren habe und in Regungslosigkeit verharren,

betrachten alte Himmel und leben abseits,

sie bezahlten ihre Träume, und stets in bar.

und wir haben sie bezahlt,um unsichtbar zu bleiben.

Die Freien und die Redlichen leben in irgendwelchen Gefängnissen,

in Mauern, die ein jeder von ihnen gebaut hat,

um seine großen Augenblicke zu leben.

Ich hatte nicht das Glück im Zauberland zu leben.

Mit ein paar dürren Krumen fristete ich lange ein Schattendasein,

streifte durstig umher, und früh wurde es Abend,

doch Regentropfen sind das , wovon du mir erzählen wirst.

___

Die Übersetzung von και βράδιασε νωρίς habe ich geändert in: 'früh wurde es Abend' (wie ich es verstehe: früh kam mein Lebensabend).Εs heißt ja βράδιασε und nicht βράδιαζε .

Herbert

:razz:

ΟΙ ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΟΙ ΚΙ ΩΡΑΙΟΙ || LOS LIBRES Y GUAPOS

Μουσική: Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής || Música: Stavros Kougioumtzis

Στίχοι: Μάνος Ελευθερίου || Letras: Manos Eleftheriou

Οι φίλοι που 'χω χάσει και δεν κυκλοφορούν || Los amigos que he perdido y no circulan

ουρανούς παλιούς θωρούν και στο περιθώριο ζουν || miran cielos viejos y viven al margen

πληρώσαν τα όνειρά τους και πάντα μετρητοίς || han pagado por sus sueňos y siempre en efectivo

τους πληρώσαμε κι εμείς για να μείνουν αφανείς || los hemos pagado nosotros también para que se mantengan invisibles

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές || Los libres y guapos viven en algunos cárceles

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || dentro de las murallas que cada uno ha construído para vivir

τις μεγάλες του στιγμές || sus momentos grandes

Εγώ δεν είχα τύχη να ζήσω μαγικά || Yo no tuve la suetre de vivir mágicamente με δυο ψίχουλα πικρά ζούσα χρόνια στη σκιά || Con dos migajas amargas estaba viviendo muchos aňos en la sombra

γυρνούσα διψασμένος και βράδιασε νωρίς || vagaba teniendo sed y anochió pronto

και σταγόνες της βροχής είναι αυτά που θα μου πεις || y gotas de la lluvia es lo que me vas a decir

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές || Los libres y guapos viven en algunos cárceles

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || dentro de las murallas que cada uno ha construído para vivir

τις μεγάλες του στιγμές || sus momentos grandes

ΟΙ ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΟΙ ΚΙ ΩΡΑΙΟΙ || I LIBERI E BELLI

Μουσική: Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής || Musica: Stavros Kouyoumtzìs

Στίχοι: Μάνος Ελευθερίου || Parole: Manos Elefterìou

Οι φίλοι που 'χω χάσει και δεν κυκλοφορούν || Gli amici che ho perso e che non vanno più in giro

ουρανούς παλιούς θωρούν και στο περιθώριο ζουν || contemplano antichi cieli e vivono in disparte

πληρώσαν τα όνειρά τους και πάντα μετρητοίς || hanno pagato i loro sogni e sempre in contanti

τους πληρώσαμε κι εμείς για να μείνουν αφανείς || li abbiamo pagati anche noi per rimanere sconosciuti

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές || I liberi e belli vivono in qualche prigione

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || dentro i muri che ognuno ha costruito per viverci

τις μεγάλες του στιγμές || i suoi momenti di grandezza

Εγώ δεν είχα τύχη να ζήσω μαγικά || Io non ho avuto la fortuna di vivere magicamente

με δυο ψίχουλα πικρά ζούσα χρόνια στη σκιά || con due briciole amare ho vissuto per anni nellombra

γυρνούσα διψασμένος και βράδιασε νωρίς || andavo in giro assetato e si faceva sera presto

και σταγόνες της βροχής είναι αυτά που θα μου πεις || e gocce di pioggia sono quelle cose che mi dirai

Οι ελέυθεροι κι ωραίοι ζουν σε κάποιες φυλακές || I liberi e belli vivono in qualche prigione

μες τα τείχη που 'χει χτίσει ο καθένας για να ζήσει || dentro i muri che ognuno ha costruito per viverci

τις μεγάλες του στιγμές || i suoi momenti di grandezza

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0