Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
francois

CD's

61 posts in this topic

!! I wanted to say "majority" and I used the french "plupart" with an english ending. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I think I replied to you in the other topic in the "Artists" section. :D

Olga.. the "Ax Kanarini mou" is a song of the early '70s!!

:huh::D:D:D

I supposed that even...

For the rest, look please into the "Parios" topic.

PS. This "not-changeable" Giannis Parios.

What do you think would be the case of Giannis Kalatzis, if he would sing up till now? This "contagious optimismus" of the majority of his songs I know makes me think it would not have changed that easily. (this thinking is hypothetic, unfortunately, and I deeply regret that).

I think that Giannis Parios was selecting good songs for his voice in 70s.The records "Pou tha paei,pou", "Ti theleis na kano", "Giannis Parios", "Tora pia" are very good.

Pesonally, I have "Pou tha paei,pou" and it contains very beautiful songs such as "Ax kanarini mou", "Tha se thymamai", "Sygnomi pou s' agapisa poly".Also I have "Odos Aristotelous" of Spanos and Papadopoulos whith Alexiou,Kalatzis and Parios.In this record Parios sings two of his best songs:"Eipa na fygo","San tin pikrodafni"....

"Orfeo ed Euridice", by Christoph Wilibald von GLUCK (1714-1787), the unforgettable January 1951 Amsterdam concert with the immense Kathleen Ferrier in the part of Orpheus. :) I think Kathleen Ferrier is one of the 24 best singers ever (I say 24, because the Greek alphabet has 24 letters :) . It could have been another number of course...)...

:):):)

Antonio Vivaldi, 5 Double Concertos.

Including Concerto RV 532, for two mandolins, strings and continuo.

Academy of St.-Martin-in-the-Fields, Iona Brown solo violin, Neville Marriner, conductor.

James Tyler, Douglas Wootton, mandolins.

I must say, I betray these days Greek music completely for music like this.

Yesterday I heard Simon Standage with his 1685 Giovanni Grancino violin live here...... This old instrument was having really blood inside, compared to mostly used average contemporary ones.......... . I enjoyed it in full. No sad experiences like unpleasantly too highly-sounding squeeeeaks...........................

You are not betraying anybody...

It is my love for classical music that made me deeple understand the glory og greeg music!!!

Pou'nai ta xronia...wraia xronia...tou Vivaldi... :)

:)

And this priest with kokkina mallia has written this music for an ensemble of orphan school girls somewhere in Venice.....

One of them, Anna Maria, is praised 1740 as a virtuose player on:

cembalo, violin, cello, viola d'amore, lute, theorbe and mandolin!

if even the education of orphan girls there was so magnificent , then one could imagine, how powerful this Republic was still, to be able to conquer even a significant part of Greece in the same time.... ****

*** The exact dates Peloponnisos (Morea) was under the rule of Venice, are 26.01. 1699 - 1718 (agreement in Pozarevac).

The first date is connected with this long-lasting war against Turkey, which began with the Lepanto battle (7.10.1571) and therefore everybody outside Greece thinks, this Lepanto is somewhere in Italy B)

I'm surprised with your precise knowledge!

So did you know that Vivaldi had a health problem (with his respiratory system)? If yes, can you tell me the type?

It's not an examination...it's a question. I want to know!

Asthma or something of this kind with his lungs, with dyspnoea symptoms. Anyway so strong ones, that he was baptized in "casa pericolo di morte" ("in danger of death", 6.o5.1678) and then stopped to say the holy masses already 1707 (till to the end of his life) with an explanation, his breathing difficuties make him even leave home never in an another way than by coach or gondole, because he gets too tired by walking.

Explained so in a letter to Guido Bentivoglio d'Aragona from Ferrara, 16.11.1737, quoted in: Michael Talbot, Vivaldi, 1978, in the Polish edition 1988, page 42 .

:confused::):)

I' d like to suggest a very interesting cd that came out just some days ago. It's the new cd of Manolis Lidakis, "Το κλειδί".

It consists of 13 songs. The music is composed by many important composers like: Christos Tsiamoulis, Takis Bourmas, Iraklis Vavatsikas, Manolis Karantinis, Christos Nikolopoulos, Orfeas Peridis, Sofi Pappa and one song by Akis Panou. Among the lyricists we find Lina Dimopoulou, Thodoris Gonis, Akis Panou, Takis Bourmas, Ilias Katsoulis and others.

Note down some of the musicians playing in the songs: Takis Bourmas, Giannis Papazaxariakis, Giannis Spathas, Iraklis Vavatsikas, Manolis Karantinis, Thymios Papadopoulos, Christos Nikolopoulos and other important musicians.

In the vocals we meet Anna Bourma in two songs.

And I'd like to say that this cd is another case of a new cd coming out in a very low price comparing to other new releases. The indicated price was 15.80 euros, but I bought it only 11 euros from Metropolis. Let's hope that this pricing policy will be good for everyone. I mean both the artists and their audience.

More information about the cd and about Lidakis in his official web site:

http://www.manolislidakis.com

The link for English doesn't work.

Sounds interesting...But there are priorities :music: ... Anemoptero:)

Are you a fan of Lidakis? I feel obliged to inform you that he has sang in Alexandria too... :)

Waiting for more details-impressions from the CD...

:music:

To Olga: I was almost sure about the diagnosis ;)

Your precise knowledge of all the events of that time impressed me!

Thank you. :)

A, just for the record, I'd like to welcome Francois: Welcome back :pity:

B)

Have I not told you before, I passed my Baroque music exams with the highest note in my whole life? :)

Glad to be useful, Pano.

And to you, Francois,

all the St. Matthew-Passion fragments with oboe d'amore & oboe da caccia.

In the version conducted by John Eliot Gardiner

or any you like.

to you, Francois,

all the St. Matthew-Passion fragments with oboe d'amore & oboe da caccia.

In the version conducted by John Eliot Gardiner

or any you like.

Thank you Olga... :):pity: Not only do I like that music, but I like the conductor too...

I thought that I must tell you my experience with St Matthew Passion:

The first copy I ever had was on tape..not an original one (dhladh maimou).

It was on three tapes, very bad recording, with no booklet and brought from Bulgaria!!! And, of course, in German - bad due to the sound quality you wouldn't differentiate if it was German or Chneese.

Years later I heard a more "human" copy :)

I agree that the Passion (whether St Thamass's or Mel Gibson's) is compulsory these days B)

Is it the one with the English Baroque Soloists?

Nice Choice :pity:

Is it the one with the English Baroque Soloists?

Yes, Pano, English Baroque Soloists and Monteverdi Choir. And it is of Bach, and not St. Thomas (althought heard for the first time in his church in Leipzig, 15.04.1729). ;) ;)

The languages of the Passion: by one rehearsal to the St. John Passion some years ago we were told, we sing in one of the arias the question: "Wohin? Wohin?" (where to?) as if it were Russian "kuda, kuda".....

:):D:D

And my first Matthew Passion was from Hungary...... But one I like very much up till now.

Thank you for the story!

And of course, Gibson's film is one to be seen, just to have your own opinion.

Because it is a very long week with many diferent insidences....I'm still adding:

W glukh mou ear... (but I'm moving from Bach to Vangelis :) )

There is a brand-new Greek CD that seems to be really magnificent!!! Far away from all the shallow and uninteresting sounds which dominate almost every new production of the last years:

"Dyo dromoi, dyo feggaria" / "Δυο δρόμοι, δυο φεγγάρια"

Singers are Eleni Vitali and Pitsa Papadopoulou / Ελένη Βιτάλη, Πίτσα Παπαδοπούλου

The composer and lyricist is Vaggelis Simos / Βαγγέλης Σίμος :pity:

There is a possibility to listen to extracts of three songs at the following link:

http://boutique.info-grece.com/product_inf...a8c8f2d81f85cb4

These extracts convinced me fully of the quality of (at least) these three songs. And once more they show me what an important artist Vaggelis Simos is. (He is lyricist and composer.) Simos is for me one of the examples that today Greece's best song-writers are continously ignored by most of the top performers and this is a shame. (Yes, of course I mean also Dalaras!!)

Vaggelis Simos is also a very modest person. I read his beautiful book "Thymamai" ("Θυμάμαι") where he tells about his life and his work, and when I have time I will write more about him. I appreciate him very much. :)

And here the lyrics of the extract of the third song ("Savvato vrady"). Marvellous like the music!

"Σάββατο βράδυ στο άδειο σπίτι

νιώθω μια θλίψη, κάτι μου λείπει.

Στους δρόμους γέλια, φωνές και ήχοι

μα εμένα πνίγουν τέσσερις τοίχοι.

Βαρέθηκα να ζω χωρίς αγάπη

η μοναξιά να φέρνει πίκρα, δάκρυ.

Κουράστηκα στο σπίτι όταν γυρίζω

το άδειο το κρεβάτι ν αντικρίζω. "

Xaroulas' Alexiou "Emfylios Erotas".Very good CD.

Dalaras participates as a second voice in four songs. "The balad of Ifigeneia" is also included

Henry Purcell, The Fairy Queen (after the Midsummer Night's Dream).

Les Arts Florissants, William Christi.

A good piece of light music again, and I know it may be too much with these Baroque tunes on my side - I can not help it, it seems to be a congenital defect :naughty::):pity:.

Who had not seen the two films of Gerard Corbiau yet: "Farinelli" and then "Le Roi danse'', it is a must for this kind of music and the culture it was born in.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0