Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brett ashley

Latin

78 posts in this topic

I've just received the album Latin from Amazon.

Franz, I was so disappointed! I thought Amor, Amor that you like so much was a part of this album. Well, but Fado Corrido de Coimbra is in it. As for that, I am so ashamed...I wrote to Dalaras's official website, praising his singing and accent, but criticising-just a very little bit- the portuguese guitar part. Now, I see that he is the one playing it! :) I could dig a hole and bury myself in it! But at the same time, as the site is still advertising O Asfaltos pou Trexei (sorry, but writing greek with latin characters is weird), I don't worry much that he'll ever see it.

as for the album Latin in itself, well, I need more time to appreciate it. BUT there's one thing I have to say. La Bamba, this song is Yuk! He could have chosen better. On the other side, I love La Malagueña, it's so beautiful. It reminds me of an evening in Sevilla, with Mariachis singers who gave an impaired performance-even by Dalaras himself.

What is the next album you advise me to purchase, guys? I have already the two that are mentioned here, plus 50 years of rembetika, a Portrait and Live and Unplugged. I'm still a rookie compared to all of you so I'll appreciate if anyone is willing to give me an advice. :)

Well, but Fado Corrido de Coimbra is in it. As for that, I am so ashamed...I wrote to Dalaras's official website, praising his singing and accent, but criticising-just a very little bit- the portuguese guitar part. Now, I see that he is the one playing it!  :) I could dig a hole and bury myself in it!

Why are you ashamed, Brett??? :) I cannot see any reason.

Concerning other albums:

Legendary (and indeed fantastic) are for example the older ones with songs by Stavros Kougioumtzis:

- Na 'tane to '21

- Mikres politeies

- Sta pshla ta parathyria

Otan anthizoun pasxalies (a MUST! the same Stavros Koujoumzis' music)

Ta xromata tou xronou part 1 (afterwards part 2)

Methismena tragoudia

Kalos tous

Gia ta tragoudia kai ego ftaio (if you get it, it is seldom)

Mikra Asia and "Giorgos Dalaras tragouda Apostolo Kaldara"

Giorgos Dalaras 1969 (the first recording)

Trelloi kai angeloi (S. Koujoumtzis)

and then, Brett, ask further!!

:)

And, nothing to worry about what you wrote to the official website, don't you think Giorgos Dalaras is a normal human being, who needs not only sugar in his life, but a bit (well, a bit :) ) of other tastes?

Brett! a definate must is:

"To elliniko proswpo tou Giwrgou Dalara"

Buy it and if you don't love it, I'll pay for it! :):):)

Brett, I think eventually the members here will provide you with a list that covers the entire discography of Dalaras!!

Maybe you should have asked which CD's NOT to buy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Are there any such CD's???)

I happen to know the Latin album too. As I see it, not only Dalaras is a better guitar player than I believed him to be but he can also sing magnificently in Spanish. The only downpoint of the album, IMHO, is that half of it has been dubbed into Greek - now, what for? Versions of that kind in whichever language always annoy me from an aesthetic point of view, no matter how well it's achieved. Meanwhile, I still prefer the old Dalaras singing truly Greek themes...

Anyway, since you ask for advice, maybe you could offer me the entire collection and then I'd give you a full review! :) What do you think? :)

Yes in fact there is!

Don't buy "Oi kyberniseis peftoune ma i agapi menei!" :(:rolleyes::mad: :lol:

I bought it many years ago, and I do like it....

I'd say:

"Don't buy 'Latin' and 'I asfaltos pou trexei'".... :blush::blush::blush:

DON'T BASH ME PAIDIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush::confused::vlakas: :lol: :lol: :lol: :):):)

The only downpoint of the album, IMHO, is that half of it has been dubbed into Greek - now, what for? Versions of that kind in whichever language always annoy me from an aesthetic point of view, no matter how well it's achieved.

nighthawk, I agree fully with your last sentence. But I think that referring to "Latin" there is a misunderstanding from your side (in case that I understood correctly the meaning of the word "dub"): The second half of the album "Latin" consists of "original" greek songs, that means: music and lyrics were written by Greeks (mostly in the 50ties and 60ties I think). They are only a (simple) imitation of Spanish/Latinamerican sounds (which where obviously very popular this time [when the songs were written]).

To my mind most (or even all of these) "greek" songs are extremely weak (in music and in lyrics) and until today I do not understand why Dalaras decided to record them.

I admit that especially in the song "Xara mou" Dalaras' voice is really wonderful but that should not make us forget that these songs are simply "kitsch". A totally shallow pseudo-folklore.

At least from this point of view "Latin" is one of Dalaras' albums I would recommend less than most of his others.

Concerning the original songs from Latin America, Spain and Portugal, I welcome that Dalaras (and his musicians) obviously did not change the authentic character of these songs (as far as I can judge). But I agree fully with your opinion, nighthawk:

Meanwhile, I still prefer the old Dalaras singing truly Greek themes...

PS: In the meantime I saw francois' posting and - like most of the time :) - I agree with his opinion.

O.K. - to my mind because of Dalaras' voice it is worth to buy every record with him, but "Latin" and "I asfaltos pou trexei" are for me definitely not his best productions.

Concerning the record "Oi kyvernhseis peftoune ...": I like it because of it's very good music and voices (The lyrics by Rasoulis: :):) .) But maybe that Niki will explain us why she does not like this record (or song). (However perhaps better in a new topic so that there is no confusion with the comments concerning "Latin.")

Francois, sorry,

I would say

just buy "Latin", even "only" for the magnificent interpretations of "Coimbra", "Malaguena" and "El presso numero nueve".

Eeetsi.

Thanks Michael, Olga, Niki, François and Diane for your advice about the albums.

François, too late, I've already bought Latin and O Asphaltos pou Trexei! But in this last one, there are beautiful songs, though I agree with you that it is not his best at all.

As for Latin, I absolutely agree with Olga that the best songs are El preso numero nueve, Coimbra and specially La Malagueña.

Last but not least, Nighthawk, don't you think you fool me, I know who you are. Another portuguese knowing Dalaras? That's such a coincidence... :rolleyes::rolleyes:B):rolleyes:

I don't like the song "Oi kyberniseis perftoune ma i agapi menei" because I don't like the music, but mostly because I find the lyrics TOO STUPID! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: B) but of course anyone has his own opinion :rolleyes:

Brett, how did you manage to display the French ç of my name?

Amazing.... :rolleyes:

PS: (a few seconds later....)... Well, it seems to work for my posts too... Let's try the accents....

é è ù ê....

Ok, I have the ç on my keyboard, but I see you found out by yourself. Let me try the accents too, as I wasn't able to write a portuguese world last time for NIKH (By the way, she disappeared!)

è é ã

Michael, thanks for the explanation. In fact, I hadn't noticed those songs had been written by Greek composers. Oh, well, so that makes it valid (except for the themes being a little kitsch and all)...

Brett, so you think you know me? So you can't imagine another Portuguese being acquainted with Dalaras' music? Hmm? :rolleyes: Just remember I am what I is while you simply are what you am. B) Btw, you haven't yet offered me the entire Dalaras' collection! :vlakas: (just testing the smilies) I'm still waiting... :rolleyes:

EDit: Hey, you know what? I also have the "ç" on my keyboard! :rolleyes:

And as Ralph Ellison said in Invisible Man, "I am what I yam" :rolleyes:

As, for the gift of Dalaras's entire collection, I bet you see me with the face of Santa Claus...

Very well quoted! Well, you know, I just want you to be happy... and I thought you could find happiness in giving. Anyway, I didn't mean the entire entire collection - you may skip Live & Unplugged, A Portrait, 50 Xronia Rembetiko Tragoudi, The Running Roads and Latin! :rolleyes: As for Santa Claus, you know I'd be your Santa anytime too! :rolleyes:

I had Latin for years but never appreciated it until I heard the LP version, that is, with the songs left out of the cd, and divided into four sides-of-LP, which made sense.

Amor Amor is on Apo Kardias, which was never released internationally. Brett, if you want your collection to grow, I'm afraid you'll have to go shoping in Greece, either live or virtually (www.greekbooks.gr).

I recommend To Elliniko Prosopo, as being indispensable, definately. The live albums are specially satisfying, starting with Ta Tragoudia mou and Sergiani sto kosmo. And knowing your taste I'd recommend also Mikra Asia.

Thanks for the advice Geske. It's nice to read you again. I'll definitely try to buy To elliniko prosopo and Mikra Asia. Try to guess who Nighthawk is..."Site crasher"!

Site crasher (I'm glad that's between brackets)? Wow, I never knew this was private property! :razz:

Btw, Hi, Geske! Hope you had a great time in Greece! :D

Well I know everyone is entitled to their opinion

and everyone has one which is ok.

And of course each member is allowed to expressed freely how or why they might not like a particular project while someone else will find it a work of Art. It's okay to explain as long as one does not insult or slander someone else here.

But I unlike the members who don't like this album,

I DO!

In fact contrary to others, I have found the Latin Album to be a household treasure that Dalaras has ever released.

If you take the time to look at the contents inside the jacket, you will find that he spent a great deal of effort both in & out of the Recording Studio with the colloboration of many Virtuoso Artists.

All of the Groups from the Latin Cd that Participated with him on the Guitar Tracks and on the Background Vocals makes and gives you the feel that the Latin Cd is sounding and perceived as Authentic.

Plus, not to mention the Great Solos and Licks

from the Jazz Guitarist

Al Dimeola who plays with Dalaras on the Greek Rubas.

Alot of time and devotion was made to get that sound out

not to mention the countless hours of playing it right so it comes out perfect in the studio recording.

This is not a piece of work to look over too slightly., mind you

The Guitar Tracks are awesome and superb on some of these numbers!

And that one Great song Dalaras

sings "Una Monade Le":

Without that song alone,

we would never have had him give us that ultimate experience on stage when performing this Latin style & song; and the power & magic he brings and gives to you (the audience) it moves & overwhelmes you wanting for more of what he does best right before he ends his performance set with an intermission here.

He may not use that particalar song now as often as he used too,

but those fans who have seen him live throughout the 90's and in the late 80's will recall exactly what it is I'm trying to describe.

And if thats not good enough,

how about the fact Dalaras had to spend a great deal of time trying to learn to sing & play in Spanish?

Surely that task & endeavor alone should be commended & praised for the great job that he did.

I still rate this Album

***** 5 Stars

and wish their was a Latin No. II in the works down the road

perhaps this time featuring the colloboration more from

The Flamenco Guitarist

'Paco De Lucia'

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0