Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nighthawk

Dalaras' own songs

18 posts in this topic

Personally and even though I never heard much of what Dalaras has done, I can't remember any song that he himself has written... Now, he's an experienced arranger, he plays multiple instruments, why the hell doesn't he come off the closet and start composing (I wish he would come to this forum and answered)? I once watched a documentary about Madonna and this is how she made her songs: she thought

about the music and the lyrics, hum it to them and they would do the rest. Well, Dalaras is no Madonna! He's certainly not lazy so he's he afraid of something or what? :rolleyes: I'm 100% sure the songs couldn't be bad and they would certainly be the real thing. So, who agrees it's high time he started showing us some of his far more personal work? :):D:D

Edit: btw, how do you make the bold characters work?

What he says about it, is that he considers himself a musician (guitar player primarily) and a singer. Implying that writing/composing songs is not his job.

What I think is he also has the perfectionnist's dislike of people who don't stick to the job their talent fits them for. We all know cases of singers who should have stuck to singing instead of trying to compose, and of composers who shouldn't attempt to sing...

Meanwhile, he does occasionnaly give us a tune or even some lyrics. Since I don't have the details by heart, I looked it up: the search engine of this wonderful site has just informed me that he wrote

the music of:

Μια βραδιά στο Λεβερκούζεν (with Μάνος Ξυδούς)

the orchestral "Tribute to Zambetas"

Για τα τραγούδια κι εγώ φταίω

Στο ίδιο έργο θεατές (a favourite of mine)

the lyrics of Cyprus (with Πολύκαρπος Κυριακού, for the Al di Meola record Orange and Blue)

and collaborated on both music and lyrics for Καλωσορίσμα (with Panos Katsimichas) (one the best)

I seem to remember at least one other audience-greeting song in the mp3/video collection, I think it's Aspri Nychta, for which he did the (rather funny) lyrics. But don't shoot me if I'm wrong or forgot a few - after all, when I first walked in here two years ago I didn't even know that Theodorakis had composed Zorba... and though I've tried hard, sometimes I feel it hasn't helped at all.

btw: to make it bold, you start with [ b ] and end with [ / b ] (or use the close tag button).

And another thing.

I think Dalaras is too "private", introvert if you like, to write "His Own Songs" - after all, most singer-songwriters write about their own sufferings, right? I can't see him doing that, AT ALL.

Ok, now I know how to make it bold! Thanks.

So, it seems there are some songs of his after all (....Zambetas is adapted by Dalaras, I just went and checked)... But I'd still like to listen to his own songs... I'm used to people who write and sing their own songs, they don't have to have the greatest voices in the world (in classical terms, what's that all about, anyway?) but they've still given some of the very best contributions to music one could give.

And Geske, since I've also been making music for many years and since I try to analize what others do, musicians don't simply write about their sufferings, they may write about anything, impersonal things included, just like a writer, more or less like an actor, which doesn't mean it's got nothing to do with them (unless you're a pop singer, maybe). Art begins when the author is able to look at what he does from the outside and that's one of the reasons why so many people write poems which aren't by any means classifiable as art, maybe thoughts, better or worse expressed.

Finally, thak you so much for the latest Kaldaras song you were kind enough to send. :D

PS- I certainly hope the bold thing worked cause I've been practising throughout this post... :)

PSPS- It did, it did! Wheeeeeeeeee! :D

Well, I stick to what I said: I think he is too "private" - it's hard to explain in English, the only other word is "reserved" which is not right either. I think he gives his self to us by singing the songs of others, not by composing his own. Some people do that, you know.

Actually, I never felt that so strongly as in the Irodeion concert on 21 june. He was so personal, it still go gooseflesh all over when I think of it (and it's 30 C here). I'd use the word "intimate", if I wasn't sure it's going to be misinterpreted.

Anyway, look at opera singers: nobody expects them to write their own songs, right?

And besides, it's not as if he were short of songs to sing... even today there is a wealth of composers and poets in Greece.

And what's more, is it fair, when he already has the most moving singing voice in the universe, to ask him to be *also* a great composer and a great poet? (I'm not saying he isn't, just that you're asking rather much...)

Anyway. I can't see him turning singer-songwriter the way Aleksiou has done, for example.

On the other hand, and just in order to contradict myself heavily, the songs he DID compose are not just good, they are bloothy brilliant, to put it mildly. And while I can't see him turn singer/songwriter, I can see him turn composer.

So... If they are brilliant... I'm not stating he should write full albums or anything if he doesn't want to. Just some songs here and there would be nice.

:D

I think only Saranttis can best answer this question as he has told us before from prior posts that Dalaras has composed his own material but is awaiting for some reason to release it.

It may occur when he's ready to retire or for some other event.

But I think they have even been recorded not sure though but never released. We will just have to wait.

Again only Sarantis can answer this best for us.

I have to agree though with Nighthawk in that it would be interesting to hear some of his own works but we did get a sample from the songs Geske mentioned up above.

Personally, I prefer the singer Does Not sing all of the compositions he/she wrote. How many times I've listened to Rock Groups like 'Metallica' and others and all the songs seem to sound alike.

The same could be said for Rap like 'Eminem' and so forth.

All the tracks will sound one like the other. Why because there all coming from the same soloist who wrote them.

To some fans thats good as there not looking for a different sound by them as they may not like somethins new other then the same old thing all the time.

But with more then 50 personnal Albums from Dalaras and more then 50 Colloborations with Dalaras

Hey thats alot of tunes to belt out man! Come on now.

Look at all the extraordinary different arrangements, melodies, & compositions we got just from the Colloborations just by themselves not to mention all the different genres Dalaras sings in from his personnal cd's.

I'm glad he chose various artists to compose his work.

Now will he ever choose to do a recording with the composer "Fivos"?

It seems like nowadays every pop singer in Greece already has.

As far as not being able to compose, songwriting and singing too

well Geske normally that would be true.

But if you look at the singers of both Parios & Vardis, they each wrote alot of their own songs and both of them also wrote many good songs for other Greek singers to sing.

And those 2 men can each sing really good too although I have yet to have heard and seen Parios play an instrument live up on stage

:)

- Δεν έχετε μπει ποτέ στον πειρασμό να γράψετε δικά σας πράγματα;

«Βεβαίως. Μα δεν έχω γράψει πάρα πολλά. Γιατί δεν το κάνω; Θα σας πω, αλλά μη γελάσετε. Ντρέπομαι, νομίζω ότι δεν είναι καλά. Και κάτι άλλο που δεν με τιμάει Να το πω κι αυτό;».

- Πείτε το.

«Νομίζω ότι θα ζήσω πολύ, οπότε νιώθω ότι έχω καιρό μπροστά μου. Γιατί στ' αρχίδια μου ο θάνατος. Τι να σας πω... δεν φοβήθηκα ποτέ μην πεθάνω. Δεν έχω καταλάβει τι είναι αυτό το πράγμα. Δούλεψα από εφτά χρονών, με σκυλοβρίσανε, μου τραβήξανε το αφτί, δεν είχα άλλη παρέα εκτός από τη μάνα μου - γιατί αποχωρίστηκα από τον αδελφό μου πολύ νωρίς -, γενικά μεγάλωσα μέσα σε περίεργες συνθήκες. Γι' αυτό και ακούω να λένε συνέχεια "τι περίεργος που είναι...", Είμαι περίεργος, ναι Αν και ξέρετε, είναι πολύ δύσκολο να παραδεχτεί κάποιος ότι είναι περίεργος. Δεν ξέρω, μπορεί και να είμαι. Αλλά τα σφάλματά μου δεν είναι και τίποτα φοβερό: θα σε μαλώσω όταν αργήσεις, θα σου πω να παίξεις καλύτερα κι ας είσαι κουρασμένος, θα σου βγάλω την Παναγία γιατί δεν έχεις κουρντίσει καλά την κιθάρα σου... Αυτά είναι, δεν υπάρχουν άλλα. Γι' αυτό χασμουριέμαι εύκολα. Κι άμα λάχει, γέρνω και κοιμάμαι. Δεν υπάρχει κάτι που να με βαραίνει, είναι τα πράγματα εντάξει. Δεν φοβήθηκα ποτέ κανέναν. Και ποιον να φοβηθώ άλλωστε; Όταν από μικρό παιδί έχεις νιώσει την εγκατάλειψη και το πρόβλημα, με όλα τ' άλλα δεν τρέχει κάστανο. Επειδή την έζησα τη σκληρότητα, κύριε Λάλα, γλίτωσα απ' αυτήν. Δεν μπορεί να με επηρεάσει. Εγώ αγάπησα την ευγένεια και την αγάπη - από θέση - και κέρδισα. Αυτό ενδεχομένως για ορισμένους να είναι ασυγχώρητο. Δεν ξέρω από τι ταλαιπωρίες πέρασαν τα παιδιά. Γλίτωσα από πολλές εξετάσεις στο πανεπιστήμιο, γλίτωσα τον κόμπο στο στομάχι... Τον ένιωσα αλλού εγώ. Είναι πολύ δύσκολο πράγμα να βγαίνεις στον κόσμο. Είναι κι αυτό σαν να γράφεις εξετάσεις για να πάρει ς το πτυχίο σου...

Ουφ, help from someone with more experience!

But thank you not at all for reminding of that awesome 15 page interview that still sits half translated in a corner of my PC - I know, I said I'd do it all, and yes I read it, carefully, yes, but... but a proper translation is a pretty big lot of work.

Anyway, here is this particular bit:

Don't you ever have the urge to write your own things?

Of course. But I have not written very much. Why I don't? I will tell you, but don't laugh. I am shy, I feel they are not good. And another thing that does me no credit, shall I tell that too?

Say.

I feel like I will live a long time, I always feel I have all the time before me. Because, fukk death *[yes he really said that -G.] . What can I tell you... I never was afraid of dying. I have no understanding of what that thing is. I worked from the time I was seven years old, I got treated like a dog, I got my ears pulled, I had no companion except my mother - since I was separated from my brother very early - in general I grew up in weird circumstances. For that reason also I constantly hear them say "how strange he is...."

I am strange, yes. Though, you know, it's very hard for someone to admit that he is strange. I don't know, or maybe it is. But my faults aren't anything terrific: I'll tick you off if you come late, I'll tell you to play better even though you are tired, I'll have the Virgin on you * [that's cursing - G.]  if you haven't tuned your guitar correctly... that's about it, there aren't any others.

That's why I yawn easily. And when that happens, I turn around and fall asleep on the spot. It's not that something bores me, just things are all right.

I never was afraid of anyone. And anyway, who should I be afraid of? When you have, from the time when you were a small kid, known what it is to be abandoned, to be in trouble, the chestnut doesn't run * [this means that things are cool and ok - I'm going to adopt it.. -G.] . It's because I lived through hardship, mr. Lalas, that I escaped it.

You can't push me around. Me, I always loved good breeding and love - by force of circumstance - and I won [by it]. That, very probably, is unforgivable for certain people.

I don't know through what hardships kids go. I escaped many university exams, I escaped the knot in the belly... But I felt that one elsewhere. It's a very difficult thing to go out into the world. That too is like passing exams to get your degree...

I put an * against the sentence where I couldn't find a good translation for the idiom, or am unsure if I understood right. Help me out please? [edit: and he did :) ]

Yay, Geske, you saved me (and, I believe, others too) a lot of work! I immediatelly visited Babelfish (bad, I know, but it should help) but they haven't got anything for Greek...

So, he's shy and afraid of doing something not good enough. That's what I thought too. It's not a problem, you know, he's only human and that's very human... Still, I hope he'll be able to get over it as he's been able to get over such a lot from what I read. The rest of the interview was interesting (even the strange translations from strange Greek phrases, lol). So, you've translated more... Is it possible to post the most interesting parts? Just a thought...

I can add a couple more songs where he has written the music

Aspri nyxta (which wasn't released on CD)

Fterwto moy tragoudaki (sang by Tsaligopouloy)

Also the song in the beggining of the program with Agamoi Thyte

but I can't remember the title. (also never released)

Plus an instrumental piece broadcusted on the radio back in 1983 I think, in special programme presented by Dalaras himself. (REALLY GOOD!)

Yay, Geske, you saved me (and, I believe, others too) a lot of work! I immediatelly visited Babelfish ...

Babelfish is on the whole more amusing than useful, in my experience. It has a lot in common with the original Babel Fish, which "by effectively removing all barriers to communication between species, caused more and bloodier war than any other single cause" (I am probably misquoting a little, since my Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy is a bit rusty) but anyway, with that fish in your ear you are free at last to misunderstand at will anything said to you in any form of language, so yes, what wars that will cause...

So, he's shy and afraid of doing something not good enough. That's what I thought too. It's not a problem, you know, he's only human and that's very human... Still, I hope he'll be able to get over it as he's been able to get over such a lot from what I read. ...

He's said it before and anyway it's obvious when you see him, his character is shy and reserved. Also, after singing the greatest composition of Greece his whole life, he does of course have pretty high standards when it comes to composition...

The rest of the interview was interesting (even the strange translations from strange Greek phrases, lol). So, you've translated more... Is it possible to post the most interesting parts? Just a thought...

I apologize for the asterisks and have put out a call for expert help.

And I was, and am, intending to do the whole interview, if only because selecting "the most interesting parts" is a hopeless job.

One title more to the list:

"Fteroto mou tragoudaki" (My little song with wings)

from Eleni Tsaligopoulou album "Stin epochi tou oneirou", 1998, Akti/ony music.

Words:Kostas Fasoulas,

and I have to admit, I smiled while I realized the existence of this "tragoudaki".........

Great singers do not necessarily make remarkable composers. This is my opinion about some great singers I admire (including three important ones: Sotiria Bellou, Um Kalthum and George Dalaras).

Now, I must admit that I like 'Για τα τραγούδια κι εγώ φταίω' very much. But saying that I like it does not imply that it is good music (In this case, it does, but I also have to say that I like songs that are not very good pieces of art... and I don't like some songs that are real musical achievements - I am not very fond of Jazz for example...). B)

Dalaras himself says in a recent interview (Ηχος και είκονα nov. 2003) that he has written over 150 songs and keeps them locked up in a drawer because they are not good enough to give to the public.

I guess they might be better than most of what the public is given, today, and still not good enough by Dalaras' standards...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0