Vasos

Ραντάρ

27 posts in this topic

A very beautifull record by the best composer,the best singer and one of the best lyric-writers.It's not very famous propably because of its political songs.

"Agapi", "Ksimeroni", "Radar" and especially "Ksenos" are the best songs in my opinion.

What's yours?

:what::)

A very beautifull record by the best composer,the best singer and one of the best lyric-writers.[...]

I'd rather say "one" of the best composers, and "one" of the best singers... :what: Let us not forget the other best composers and singers of course. :)

The CD "ΡΑΝΤΑΡ" is to be very closely linked to the CD "ΕΠΙΒΑΤΗΣ" by the same composer and released the same year (1981). Very political too. Both important recordings, of course. I must say I prefer "ΕΠΙΒΑΤΗΣ".

(Good) Greek music has always been highly political, anyway... :):):D

Four remarks concerning "Rantar":

1. Since quite a long time I have a (completely subjective and unprofessional) "theory" that Dalaras' voice (or better: the way it sounds) appears roughly spoken - in three different types (according to the concrete song he is singing):

a) the "romantic", tender, soft voice (e.g. in "M' ekopsan me xorisan sta duo", "Itan pente itan eksi" or "O drapetis" by Kougioumtzis, "Hara mou" [from "Latin"] etc.etc.)

b ) the "oriental" voice (e.g. in the song "O tragoudistis" [and also in many other songs of this record with Nikolopoulos], "An itane na s' arnitho" and "Kapoios htyphse thn porta" by Kougioumtzis, in many rebetica songs [e.g. "Paraponiariko mou", "O aderfos ton aderfo"])

and finally

c) the more hard, "severe", "steely" voice. And it is especially "Rantar" where I have the impression to hear this "type" of Dalaras' voice. Not in all songs, of course, but in some like "Ti zoi mou eho hasi" or "Ksenos". It seems to have to do with the "epic" style which is a characterstic of many songs by Theodorakis.

2. The lyric-writer of "Rantar" (Kostas Tripolitis) is definitely not one of my favourite ones. To my mind his lyrics speak too much to the brain and less (or not at all) to the heart; and this happens in a by far too artificial style (for my taste). So I never got in closer connection with the lyrics of "Rantar".

3. Concerning the music: From the more quiet, calm songs my favourite titels are "Agapi", and "Ksimeronei" (like yours, Vaso) and from the more "dramatic" ones I prefer "Ksenos" (also like you Vaso :what: ) and perhaps most of all "Ti zoi mou eho hasi". The rest of the songs of "Rantar" did not impress me especially. (Perhaps I miss characteristic melodies in them.)

4. For me "Rantar" has also a specific personal meaning: It was the first record of Dalaras I bought and the first time I saw a foto of him (whereas his voice was known to me already a long time before :).)

Four remarks concerning "Rantar":

1. Since quite a long time I have a (completely subjective and unprofessional) "theory" that Dalaras' voice (or better: the way it sounds) appears roughly spoken - in three different types (according to the concrete song he is singing):

a) the "romantic", tender, soft voice (e.g. in "M' ekopsan me xorisan sta duo", "Itan pente itan eksi" or "O drapetis" by Kougioumtzis, "Hara mou" [from "Latin"] etc.etc.)

b ) the "oriental" voice (e.g. in the song "O tragoudistis" [and also in many other songs of this record with Nikolopoulos], "An itane na s' arnitho" and "Kapoios htyphse thn porta" by Kougioumtzis, in many rebetica songs [e.g. "Paraponiariko mou", "O aderfos ton aderfo"])

and finally

c) the more hard, "severe", "steely" voice. And it is especially "Rantar" where I have the impression to hear this "type" of Dalaras' voice. Not in all songs, of course, but in some like "Ti zoi mou eho hasi" or "Ksenos". It seems to have to do with the "epic" style which is a characterstic of many songs by Theodorakis.

2. The lyric-writer of "Rantar" (Kostas Tripolitis) is definitely not one of my favourite ones. To my mind his lyrics speak too much to the brain and less (or not at all) to the heart; and this happens in a by far too artificial style (for my taste). So I never got in closer connection with the lyrics of "Rantar".

3. Concerning the music: From the more quiet, calm songs my favourite titels are "Agapi", and "Ksimeronei" (like yours, Vaso) and from the more "dramatic" ones I prefer "Ksenos" (also like you Vaso :what: ) and perhaps most of all "Ti zoi mou eho hasi". The rest of the songs of "Rantar" did not impress me especially. (Perhaps I miss characteristic melodies in them.)

4. For me "Rantar" has also a specific personal meaning: It was the first record of Dalaras I bought and the first time I saw a foto of him (whereas his voice was known to me already a long time before :).)

I admit I never listened to Radar very much - I can't say why exactly. Maybe partly because the lyrics are quite forbidding - I have no opinion of mr. Tripolitis except great respect (on the say-so of a couple of people whose opinion I value highly) and some resentment (because he is VERY difficult writer). Maybe partly because (except for Αγάπη and Ξυμερώνει which dissolve me like soft-ice in the sun) this isn't the Theodorakis music that most directly appeals to me.

Anyway, since I was (am) trying to absord so much music in so little time, inevitably some records got "left for later".

Later being last Monday.

I missed something there - why didn't I listen to this before???

How many times have I thought that?

:)

p.s. Michael, if that cover was the first time you saw Dalaras in a foto, you got real bad luck!! His cover fotos range from very lovely to moderately awful, but this one is exceptionnaly unflattering :lol:

p.p.s. Your "theory" of his voice is at least interesting - though you'd need to add at least one more, the one in "που να 'σαι τώρα ’ννα"... And it sounds to me almost like a continuum, rather than discrete categories...

But what would be really, really, VERY interesting, would be to ask him about it. It's the kind of deeply interesting question that journalists (even Lalas) never seem to think of.

p.s. Michael, if that cover was the first time you saw Dalaras in a foto, you got real bad luck!! His cover fotos range from very lovely to moderately awful, but this one is exceptionnaly unflattering :lol:

:what: This may be exactly a reason, why I never tended to hear this particular CD, but as I saw (being some an "intermediate" in listening to his music), the covers of "Methismena tragoudia" and "Trelloi kai angeloi", they were mine at once and the music inside was exactly like I was expecting.

If we speak about the first photos we saw of Giorgo Dalara, the mine were from "Thessaloniki - Yannena" and from "Ta xromata tou xronou".

But, in spite of the strange photos, one of my favourites remains the "Gia ta tragoudia kai ego ftaio" and "Otan anthizoun pasxalies" with no photo at the cover at all (well, the two inside...)

Hm, it seems to need a small ranking of Giorgos Dalaras' cover photos.....

This one of Radar is surely a "moderately awful" one, telling moderately....

:razz:

In an intersting sort of way,

Radar, is actually one of my more favorite personal albums of Dalaras singing compositions from Mikis Theodorakis.

Put it this way, compared to their first project they did with the "Ta 18 Lionadarkia Tragoudia, Radar is so much better.

And I agree with Michael how some songs from Dalaras voice on this album appears more Sharp Steely then his normal Honey style Lemon voice he has throughout his other discography.

And Xenos would be one of my favorite songs on this cd too!

But the best songs Dalaras sang by Theodorakis so far in my opionon

were from the his "Live Tribute 100 cinema CD";

and from "Axion Esti". Probably because these songs have more

Ballads and Syrtakia played in the list of the Repoitoire chosen.

;)

Have to agree with you Christo...

RADAR has always been one of my favorite cd's.As a whole I mean;I think all songs belong together,so to say. I can hardly say which one is my favorite...

There are times I 'forget' the album for a while,and discover it a couple of months later,and everytime again it won't let me go...

And both other albums you mention are special to me. 100 year cinema is the first I had,and I listened that more than anything else,but still it appeals to me enormously.

Axion Esti;my second album;a collection was started from here....

"Ta 18 Lionadarkia Tragoudia, Radar is so much better.

"Lianotragouda", Christo....

And from this: forgotten "Kiklamino", "Kouventa m'ena louloudi", "Edo to fos"? All "classics" after the years.

To "100 xronia cinema", my opinion, too.

"Rantar" is a rather minor work compared to the masterpieces "Ta 18 lianotragouda ths pikrhs patridas", "Epitafios", "Axion esti" and "Rwmiosynh". Of course, this view has nothing to do with preferences or tastes or such things. I think it is a rather objective reality.

Now, a non objective view : I just love the whole work of Theodrakis B):);):razz:

There is no doubt that "Romiosini","Epitafios","Aksion Esti" and "18 Lianotragouda" are better than "Radar".However,I think that 18 Lianotragouda(where Dalaras is the singer) were produced in a period when political song was at the peak.Radar was made in 1981 when PASOK first took the government and there was not a "political temprature" like that in 1973-1976...!

Here are 2 of our webmaster's σχόλιες, comments, so much appreciated on the old website :)

Quote 1

Τη ζωή μου έχω χάσει

Αυτό είναι από τα πιο αγαπημένα μου τραγούδια, κυρίως λόγω της επιβλητικότητας του στίχου, της μουσικής μα κυριότατα της φωνής. Τραγούδι από το δίσκο "Ραντάρ", 1981.

Quote 2

Χωρίς φεγγάρια

Τραγούδι από το δίσκο "Ρανδάρ", 1981.

Καμιά φορά παλεύω να καταλάβω τι θέλει να πει ο Κώστας Τριπολίτης. Αλλά μάταια. ’βυσσος το μυαλό του...

I always liked the cd but never thought of comparing it with the titles mentionned above.

As for the photo being "exceptionnaly unflattering", I don't know Geeske ?

I see it as an action shot (or whatever it is called in English, "pris sur le vif") showing a face with excellent bone structure, an intent look, too intent maybe :razz: showing evidence of great depth of feeling....

What more can you ask for ? ;)

Much, much better than the silly "portrait" on the cover of Mazi with that thick layer of make up on his face, poor man B)

I see, a new topic is coming really: Giorgos Dalaras CD's cover photos (or more: pictures in the general meaning)

To "Mazi", Annette, my thoughts are not the same, but similar anyway.

Here are 2 of our webmaster's σχόλιες, comments, so much appreciated on the old website  :)

Quote 2

Χωρίς φεγγάρια

Τραγούδι από το δίσκο "Ρανδάρ", 1981.

Καμιά φορά παλεύω να καταλάβω τι θέλει να πει ο Κώστας Τριπολίτης. Αλλά μάταια. ’βυσσος το μυαλό του...

Thanks for the quote of Nikolas' comments, Annemarie. In the case of such lyrics it is always good for me to see that there are other people too who have problems to understand them. B)

As for the photo being  "exceptionnaly unflattering", I don't know Geeske ?

I see it as an action shot (or whatever it is called in English, "pris sur le vif") showing a face with excellent bone structure, an intent look, too intent maybe B) showing evidence of great depth of feeling....

What more can you ask for ? ;)

Right, Annemarie! I think that is a very good description. I always liked this foto of Dalaras. :razz:

However,I think that 18 Lianotragouda(where Dalaras is the singer)

Vaso, do not forget that the "Lianotragouda" were first recorded and released in 1973 in Paris with Farantouri and Pandis singing, at a time when Theodorakis was still in exile.

The version of Pandis and Farantouri was recorded prior to the Dalaras version?

I always thought that the Dalaras version was the original and the other was recorded afterwards.

The version of Pandis and Farantouri was recorded prior to the Dalaras version?

I always thought that the Dalaras version was the original and the other was recorded afterwards.

Yes, it was recorded in Paris in 1973. The Dalaras version was recorded in Athens in 1974. ;)

Κι ένα σχόλιο για την επανέκδοση του CD από το περιοδικό "ΔΙΦΩΝΟ"(τεύχος 114, Μάρτιος 2005, σελ. 110).

post-11-1109658960.jpg

Την επόμενη Κυριακή, διανέμεται η remastered έκδοση του Ραντάρ με την Καθημερινή.

Ευχαριστούμε,Πέτρο! B)

Πληροφοριες και σχετικό αρχειακο υλικο (παρτιτουρες σημειωσεις κ.τ.λ.)

για το εργο απο το site του "Συλλογου Φιλων Μουσικης-Μεγαλη βιβλιοθηκη της Ελλαδος 

(Λιλιαν Βουδούρη)"..Ριξτε μια ματια κ στο κατω τμημα στα "τεκμηρια"

Πηγή

http://digma.mmb.org.gr/Item.aspx?kkt=TMUSIC000000247

7 people like this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead