Christo

Front row seats or balcony

21 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

Do you find it important like me to sit up close and get the best seat of the house if you can when watching Dalaras live on stage?

I'll never forget the first time I saw Dalaras in '93 and I had front row seats except they were way up in in the balcony section up above the Mezzanine section.  

So yes I had a clear high view of the stage but yet still so far away.

Since then I have seen Dalaras on the Main floor but wasn't close enough to the stage.  But it seems that the Front Row Seats are always sold out first to the promoters and so forth.

So my preference is to watch him up close on the First row if  I can on the main floor. Otherwise, if I'm going to be seating in the back, in the middle, or side endings, I might as well sit up in the Balcony section.  At least there you don't have peoples heads in from of you blocking the view, and you can see more of the band members as to how they are playing and observe some of their emotions put in their solos too, etc,.

What about everyone else in here?

Have they had the opportunity to see Dlaras with a front row view or seat?

Saranti you being a promoter, I bet you were seatted Front dead Center First Row?

Probably got to shake Dalaras hand too on the last song after the prgram ended.  lol

Some say thats not important so as long as you can hear him, but I disagree I want to see him fly up and down that Fretboard on his Guitar and pick and strum those notes off the Bouzouki.

And what better way to do this then to sit up close rather then having to use your field glasses on songs such as"

TO KARANDI

TA PEDIA TIS AMINIS

TAXIDI STI KYTHRA

and

UNA MONADE LE

members

agree or disagree?

where did you sit closest and

where did you guys sit furthest?

which is best and why and which is leat and why?

Strategy tip: You get the best seat you can find. When the concert starts you have your eyes open for the three seats of the first row. These are usually reserved for some high-class losers who get there late if at all just to show off. Or for some polititians who get there late and leave early for the same reason (losers is an understatement for them but I don't have a word handy*). When the concert starts, if nobody seats there after ten minutes, (or you an do during the break) you walk like a gentleman, or a lady and seat in the middle of the first row. Nobody will bother you 99%of the time.

*Μ' ένα μάτι μ' ένα δόντι με βαμμένα τα μαλλιά

σκαρφαλώσαν οι γερόντοι στης πατρίδας τα σκαλιά

καθώς παν για τα ογδόντα ίδιοι και παράλληλοι

το πολύ για καμιά τσόντα είναι πια κατάλληλοι

Losers? Hm, I could think of something to call them but I'm not allowed to say insults on the forum B)

I've been lucky. Only two Dalaras concerts, but at both, in the second half, we ended up on our feet, in a crush (fairly civilised crush) against the stage - I was in front I can tell you - so, main floor for me!

Suddenly so near.

So far and so near all at once.

I've been to some concerts and of course I like to sit as close to the stage as possible. If you once had a seat in the first rows, you'll always want to have this good view.

Especially when Dalaras and his musicians are touring, they have a lot of fun on stage. Sometimes testing out a little new to a song, taking different instrument, dancing a little, joking and all these things you don't get when you're far away.

Last year at Irodion we were seating 3rd row! Marvellous.

But as the conductor's place is in the middle, there was one microphone at the left and one at the right corner of the stage. One for Dalaras and the other one for Joan Faulkner.You see not only the row, also the corner is important! And as the saying everyone gets what he deserves came true, we were sitting in Dalaras' corner!!

And one addition to the 'high society'. Yes, 1st row: Pangalos, Avramopoulos, Christos Nikolopoulos. But Dora Bakoyannis also (only) 3rd row!! And Marinella was only sitting 6th or 7th row!

I sat in the front row in London in May but Chris is right I had a stiff neck afterwards, and we were at the side so the sound is not so good.  I've sat second row as well in Nicosia fairly centred which was better, and mostly 7 or 8 rows back but I always try to get centre seats as this were it sounds the best.

Unfortuanately it's difficult to get the best seats as they are given to people in the know, and when he's been in Football stadiums and it's a free for all it's a nightmare, as the stage is always far away anyway, and God knows how people will end up on top of you.  Thank goodness he doesn't do concets in stadiums here anymore. Well not for the last few years as he has been with Orchestras and it's more diffiucult then.

I had to explain myself now to avoid misunderstandings but chris did that for me. I was referring to the latecomers of course. How is it possible to have to go to a Dalaras concert and not being on your way 2 hours before the start. Saranti, I was not referring to those who are sitting in the first row because I would have to include myself. I was talking about those who have their seats reserved for them from their secretaries and chose popular events just to show off. And they are never on time. They choose to go late so they can be seen. And the next night you will see them at a skyladiko doing the same thing. So, no misunderstandings here, I hope.

The worst seat I had in Thessaloniki. ( Sorry to all who like this town, but if you read, you will see it's not the fault of Thessaloniki!!)

April 1999, when Dalaras and Bregovic were performing at Fix. Fix is a club like Iera Odo and Zygos.

So, if you're rich you sit at a table, if you're rich and have good connections, you sit at a table in the first rows! If you don't have a lot of money you stand at the bar and watch from behind. With all the disturbance ( waiters, women going to toilet) between you and the stage.

If you don't want to stand all the time, you check (after the beginning) if it's still possible to get a seat at a table. There was, of course not next to the stage. Anyway, we could sit and were a little.. more close! But, as it's all on the same floor, my direct view was to the table in front!!

Imagine, Dalaras, Bregovic and the musicians playing and singing!

And these people? Eating, drinking, talking!!

I remember one lady often looking not to the stage, but into my direction.

Maybe she was wondering about me! No eating, no drinking, but singing!!!

And as every bad has its good, this night I heard for the 1st time Dalaras singing 'Theos an einai'!!

I knew this song already (sung by Alkistis Protopsalti) and also knew it was written by Bregovic. So, as Dalaras and Bregovic worked together, I thought, maybe one day Dalaras will sing this beautiful song! And he did, and still does!!    

Anna

You make a great valid point!!!!

Uptil now, no one has mentioned it and you more or less hit on the nail straight home,

First of all let me say this,

I've never seen Dalaras play in a club.

(That kind of saddens me too  BTW that he has to go back to the night club seen again and doesn't sing anymore in threatre audotoriums).

I think Maybe we should start a drifferent thread on this

between the pros and cons of having Dalaras singing in clubs now or in stadiums and theartres as he used too  before.

Anyhow, getting back to mine and Annas point,

Whether having the choice of sitting up front Main Floor or high up in the Balcony section

all comes down to one thing:

Affordibility and Availability.

The former meaing Price

It's usually alot cheaper to sit way in the back or the last sections up in the Balcony as oppose to the Fiist 10 rows or so out on Main floor.

However,

from the latter point of view,

those who have the extra buck for the goods seats to buy all comes down on 1 thing:

whether or not their sold out first on the time and at the place of purchase.

Well thats what I had to say in terms of Cost and time.

Now would about having Dalaras singing in clubs again???

I still don't like that idea as Anna states, you will always have some goofy parea in front of you, blocking your view, loud  talking, making noises, and that heavy Greek smoking of course which all comes down to ruin the atmosphere and kefi in hearing and watching Dalaras live.

anyone else agree or disagree

Let them speak now and come forward

or forever hold their peace!!!!

When I went to Zygos in January, which was th first time I had ever seen Dalaras in a club, we got there early about 9.30 and they put us upstairs at first then my friend started to talk to the waiter and after some haggling we got a table downstairs not in the front, but on front row of the raised section which meant we looked over peoples heads and although it was no one side not central it was quite a good table.  But we had to pay for this priviledge the sum of 10000 drachmes, which on top of the evening becomes expensive.

I think the waiters must end up with a lot of tips after so many eveings and people paying extra.  This is one problem with clubs, you have to spend a lot more with drinks etc.  But then you get longer for your money, the show lasted 4 hours which you don't get in a theatre.  

I think I prefer a theatre myself though, but for sure I will go again to Zygos if he's there.

Christo I think he enjoys playing in a club which is why he wnet back to it in the last years, not because he needed to, he certainly doesn't need the money, so why else!  He is still playing in theatres as well.

Sarantis,  the acoustics were very good and it does have a different atmosphere than in a theatre.  I enjoyed it just as much, but then I always enjoy his concerts wherever they are!!!  It was probably more relaxed not only for the artisits but for the audience who were drinking quite a lot (maybe this explains it-ha ha).  

Just a few thoughts. Where Dalaras is playing (and I mean Iera Odos and Zygos) is not a club or at least it doesn't operate like one. It is very interesting to observe some things like: First of all, there is no smoke. In Iera Odos there was not a sign of smoke, although everybody was smoking. In Zygos, it's harder to deal with it, because the place is much smaller, but they did an excellent job. I never felt the smoke bothering me.

Secondly, when Dalaras is singing you see no waiter serving. It is so interesting that they take your order before the show starts, they serve you right away and next you see them during the break. So, no annoying interactions there.

Iera Odos was a masterpiece. It was a miracle. Zygos is more intimatte. And I like. Both. Now, you are asking me not to smoke when he sings "To tragoudi tis vroxis" or "To ypogeio". You are kiding of course. And a little alcohol helps. Not that we need it but it helps. And I personally like it.  

What I mean is that he does it in a such a civilized way that it is admirable. Combining smoking and drinking and music that is. Or at least this is the best he can do.

Lastly, the waiter issue. Lynne is right. You have to bribe them. But this is a matter for the store to look into. You can't expect from Dalaras to be, a singer, a musician, a store manager, a policeman. You complain to the manager, and the manager deals with the waiter. I know this is kind of impossible in Greece, but maybe it is impossible only in our minds.

Soc,

I agree about the smoke, my friend was pregnant and was really worried but we didn't have a problem at all in Zygos.

As for complaining to the manager, you must be kidding, I bet he's in on it, they must all pool the money together.  We worked out they must make another wage in tips at least.  Anyway I certainly don't expect Dalaras to do anything about this, it happens in all clubs in Greece, so I 've been told.  

As I will be away today, I will tell you tomorrow a funny story in Iera odos, with the so called "maitr".

Tha symfwnhsw me ton Soc se polla pragmata. Autoi pou ftanoun kathysterhmenoi einai loosers. Prwto apo ola an tous deis koitane gyrw gyrw gia na doun an tous vlepoun - toso malakes. Dystyxws stis prwtes eires kathontai kati poura me tis tsantoules tous, oute milane oute lalane. Xerete poso dyskolo einai auto; Oson afora to seating arrangement den mou aresei na kathomai para poly konta giati etsi den exeis eikona ths olhs skhnhs kai h akoustikh den einai toso kalh (edw tha symfwnhsw me ton Saranti). Mou aresei na kathomai pshla kai konta. Auto to eixa petyxei sto Dhmotiko Theatro Peiraia me tous Katsimixaious kai sthn Iera Odo. Twra, oson afora to bribing, ti na kanoume re paidia an einai etsi na katsoume kapou kala. De gamietai; O kosmos allwste to epidiwkei apo monos tou, dinei kati parapanw gia na exyphretithe kai meta kai autoi to "zhtane" me ton tropo tous. Mhn xehnate oti kapoios pairnei alla kai kapoios dinei.

Hi Nikolas

Whenever you have the chance,

Were still waiting to hear from your funny story

in Iera Odos.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead