Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Olga Fendrych

Missing Information

58 posts in this topic

I have no better idea, how to name the topic concerning informations I miss mostly and for long years sometimes.

My great difficulty is to identificate the artists singing some known or forgotten songs or maybe even some, which are obvious to somebody living in Greece, but not abroad.

This may be so, that a single question gets a single short answer, it may happen that some answers develop to the new topics.

For today, please, tell me more about

Antonis Kalogiannis

Giannis Dounias.

As it is already very late in the night, for the beginning only this:

2 fantastic singers, both with fantastic repertoire. :mad::)

And both more or less forgotten in the meantime. :mad:

Olga, it is fascinating that you mentioned both singers in the same question (and that you even know Dounias :) ):

1. Andonis Kalogiannis (Αντώνης Καλογιάννης):

Kalogiannis made his first records in 1970. I think for a certain time, during dictatorship in Greece, he was also in exile (in France??). Maybe Francois can tell us more details about it. Kalogiannis' first records were with songs by Mikis Theodorakis. Later on followed composers like Plessas, Kounadis, a LP with songs by George Moustaki etc.

As far as I know, Kalogiannis was always characterized as a typical representative of the "political" song in Greece respectively of the Greek "artistic popular song" ("έντεχνο λαϊκό τραγούδι") in general. And indeed all his repertoire is full of such songs. "Artistic" songs but (fortunately) never "artificial" ones. He is/was an "intellectual" singer in the best meaning of the word.

As far as I know, his last (personal) record is from 1997: "Istories aggelwn". Wonderful songs with a still wonderful voice, although it already sounds a little bit tired. I think it was here in the Community that someone mentioned that Kalogiannis is already losing his voice. I fear that this could be true. And I think that his silence is a great loss for Greek music.

More or less all of his records are worth listening. But to mention a second one I like especially: "Antitheti poreia" (from 1993). Extraordinary songs you will not find from any other singer, I think.

2. Jannis Dounias (Γιάννης Ντουνιάς):

Like Kalogiannis a very manly voice but nevertheless completely different. To my mind Dounias has one of the most powerful voices of any Greek singers. I would say that it has a similar character with the voice of Stelios Kazantzidis.

He also started his career in 1970/1971 but he always had a completely different repertoire compared with Kalogiannis. No "political" songs, no "artistic" songs (perhaps with a few exceptions) but more or less exclusively the "simple" (??), "commercial" (??) Greek popular songs. That means: Songs by Nikolopoulos (in the early 70ies), by Takis Soukas, by some less known composers as Nikiforos, Thodoros Kampouridis etc.

I do not know all of Dounias' records but most of them, and I can say that I like them all. Wonderful examples for the typical Greek "laiko" song.

As far as I can see, Dounias remains silent since 1991! In another Forum someone supposed (he was not sure) that now Dounias works as taxi-driver!! :)

Despite of his perfect voice and his great songs, Dounias never became a real star and I fear that you will find only 2 or 3 CDs with him.

Kalogiannis Dounias. For me they are the best proof that it is possible to appreciate quite different types of Greek popular ("λαϊκό") music.

Olga, it is fascinating that you mentioned both singers in the same question (and that you even know Dounias :) ):

You see, MIchael, I know some of their songs sooooooo long years, I grew up with them. Without knowing any, but any names, it comes mostly by pure chance up till now.

It was not differently in the case of Giorgos Dalaras himself. But this happened already 6 or 7 years ago.

It was Francois, who identificated Kalogiannis singing one of these songs (To spiti mou einai mikro,Theodorakis) not so very long ago.

And it was Kyrios Giannis on Zakynthos ONE WEEK AGO, who told me the second name. That Kyrios Giannis is bus driver and Giannis Dounias is supposed the same work now, may be a coincidence :)

Do not see that as a joke, but just the local bus drivers having tourists can do more for knowing of Greek music than anyone else. If they do not make it easy to put into their CD player the "greatest hits" of Syrtaki......

On the personal level, if such a recognition of an artist happens (this week even more times), I feel with the old Argos recognizing "his master's voice". Not more, not less. Odyssey, 17th part.

:)

Danke, Michael. Fortsetzung folgt.....

Could you identify the song with Dounias too? Anyway it must be at least some years old.

Concerning Yannis Dounias and the (small) extent of his fame I can tell you a story:

Some years ago I was looking for a certain record (still LP) with Dounias. I went to the department for LPs of a big store in Athens (I think it was "Minion") and asked in Greek: "Do you have the record [title] with Giannis Dounias?". The woman there asked me: "With whom?" I repeated the name of the singer, the same question followed. And I think all the procedure happened a third time. She was quite unfriendly and behaved as if she regarded me as crazy. And I was sure that the problem was not my bad Greek (as Dounias' name is quite easy to pronounce) but simply the fact that the shop asssistant had never heard his name.

I left the store and went immediately to a record-shop which was quite near the deparment-store. I entered, asked the owner exactly in the same way ("Do you have the record with Giannis Dounias?" of course in Greek again) and without hesitating a moment he went to the shelves and gave me the record I was looking for. Just as if I had asked for the newest LP of let's say Dalaras. :lol:

(And as I was annoyed by the behaviour of the shop-assistant and in order to prove her that I am not crazy I returned to the record department of the big store and showed her the LP. :) )

Could you identify the song with Dounias too? Anyway it must be at least some years old.

:):music: Phh, MIcha, what a question. Θα πάω στή dzungla με το Tarzan, το παιδικό μου φίλο :D:D:D:D The song itself is not so very sophisticated, but so nice! You know, ο παιδικός μου φίλος :) Recorded between 1978 and 1982.

What do you know about Georgia Logou? I have only one of her recordings, Theodorakis/Ritzos: Issoun kalos, issoun glikos..... (THe best of Bouzzouki songs, MBI SA 1997, Cd No. 6007) and I enjoy this well educated alt voice.

But who is she?

PS. Danke fuer die Geschichte! Und gib mal bitte ein paar Liedertitel und/oder Anfangsverse, vielleicht erkenne ich noch was?

Θα πάω στή dzungla με το Tarzan, το παιδικό μου φίλο  :)  :music:  :D  :D The song itself is not so very sophisticated, but so nice! You know, ο παιδικός μου φίλος  :) Recorded between 1978 and 1982.

:D One of Dounias' best-known songs. (Though he was not the only and not the first one who interpreted it.) The interesting with this song is that it is written by Yannis Markopoulos! The style of this song (music and lyrics) is completely uncharacteristic for Markopoulos. I like its music very much. One of the melodies you won't never forget again when you have heard it two or three times. :D

Und gib mal bitte ein paar Liedertitel und/oder Anfangsverse, vielleicht erkenne ich noch was?

You mean other song-titles or the beginnng of lyrics of songs with Dounias? Hmmm, I think it is quite unlikely that you heard other songs with him. :pity: I think "Nyhta oneiromana" by Zampetas is a little bit more known, "Ase me zoi" (by Akis Panou), "Krima mou kai krima sou", .... ??

What do you know about Georgia Logou?

Sorry, nothing. :razz: I have only heard her name but I do not know even one song with her.

Michael,

the titles you gave from Dounias' repertoire, say still nothing to me....

and about Giannis Markiopoulos, sorry, the name sounds unknown to me, even if I suppose, I really know his songs :)

and about Giannis Markiopoulos, sorry, the name sounds unknown to me, even if I suppose, I really know his songs  :music:

You know some of them, I think so. Markopoulos [without "i"] is the composer of the album "Sergiani ston kosmo" with Dalaras. :):)

What about the older times? Something with Manolis MItsias?

And sorry for my typing mistakes these days, I've cut my finger badly and it is now missing by writing........

Hi Michael

I agree with you

Yiannis Dounias was a very good singer

and had a deep voice similar to that of

"Stratos & Angellos Dionisiou", Vasillis Karras", & Fillipos Nikolaou etc.,

I enjoyed many of his songs throughout his short career.

A pity he is not singing anymore just like how

"Leonidas Velis" seem to vanish to without a trace.

It was said because Velis sounded to much like "Stellios Kazantzidhs" and he couldn't break away from that style to form his own. I don't know just a rumor.

However, Olga

One important if any that should never be neglected from Giannis Dounias is a famous Zembekiko he sang back in the 80's.

Titled: "NA SE ZILEVOUN PIO KALA"

or commonly referred to as:

"OTAN EHOUN THN ANAGI SOY, OLI SAYAPANE"

MAS AMPARES KAI YIA ANTIPOTHO, KAI H FILOI SE XEHNANE"

' How so true this song really is'

p.s. this same song was also recorded in the 80's from the Laiko singer "ANTYPAS"

Kalogiannis made his first records in 1970. I think for a certain time, during dictatorship in Greece, he was also in exile (in France??). Maybe Francois can tell us more details about it. Kalogiannis' first records were with songs by Mikis Theodorakis.

Well, Kaloyannis was in exile in France and Britain with Farantouri and Theodorakis. In France, he recorded the first version of "Ta laika", "Ta tragoudia tou Andrea", "Katastash Poliorkias", and astounding live version of "Ilios kai Hronos" and "Epifania Averof" with Yves Montand reading the French translation of Seferis's poem!!!!!!! :razz: I recomend all those CD's which are available I think. I also recommend the Albert Hall recording of Sikelianos' "Pnevmatiko Emvatirio", another extremely moving moment. All these recordings are very special ones for me, as they were "my" music when I was a teenager (no anglo-saxon stuff :wow: ...). Kaloyannis, Farantouri and Mouskouri were my favourites then at a time I had not listened to Alexiou or Bellou yet and I didn't know the name of Dalaras although I had listened to some of his songs from my grandmother's short waves radio set.

Yes, Kaloyannis IS a great singer. I saw him only once at Kalithea Stadium in 1978 during concert for the Thessaloniki earthquake of the same year.

:razz::):wow:

Could I ask please for description of the persons from the photos in a booklet of the "Concert for Bithikotzis"? I still do not recognize everybody, some faces are unknown to me.

Thanks in advance.

Francois, a vase of kokkina triandafilla for recognizing Kalogiannis for me. A great deal, friend.

What about the older times? Something with Manolis Mitsias?

Olga, you mean Markopoulos with Mitsias? I do not know any common songs. If there are any they will be only a few and not very well known ones.

A pity he is not singing anymore just like how

"Leonidas Velis" seem to vanish to without a trace.

It was said because Velis sounded to much like "Stellios Kazantzidhs" and he couldn't break away from that style to form his own. I don't know just a rumor.

Christo, I have heard (or read) similar things. Anyway it is terrible that a singer like Leonidas Velis vanishes. For me one of the best Greek voices I have ever heard. Indeed very similar to Kazantzidis (so much that nearly you cannot distinguish them!). My big luck is that I have all records with Velis. :rolleyes::music:

One important if any that should never be neglected from Giannis Dounias  is a famous Zembekiko he sang back in the 80's.

Titled:  "NA SE ZILEVOUN PIO KALA"

From the LP: "Mia megali stigmi". Not available on CD as far as I know. :(

Well, Kaloyannis was in exile in France and Britain with Farantouri and Theodorakis. In France, he recorded the first version of "Ta laika", "Ta tragoudia tou Andrea", "Katastash Poliorkias", and astounding live version of "Ilios kai Hronos" and "Epifania Averof" with Yves Montand reading the French translation of Seferis's poem!!!!!!! :music:

Francois, I knew that you would be able to tell us more. :D Thank you.

:razz::):wow:

Could I ask please for description of the persons from the photos in a booklet of the  "Concert for Bithikotzis"? I still do not recognize everybody, some faces are unknown to me.

Beginning from the foto with the three men:

1. Evaggelos Venizelos (minister of culture) - Thedorakis - Bithikotsis

2. Lefteris Papadopoulos :pity:

3. Bithikotsis again

4. On the big foto from left to right:

Parios - Papakonstantinou - Kalogiannis - female singer (???) - Remos (looking here more like Placido Domino :lol: ) - Basis - Kotsiras - Tsaliggopoulou (I assume) - Bithikotisis junior - Terzis - Makedonas - Dalaras - Andreatos

5. Galani - Kalogiannis - Kotsiras - Makedonas

6. Maxairitsas (looking here like the German singer Reinhard Mey :lol: ) - Mitropanos - Mitsias - Basis

7. Bithikotsis junior - Dalaras - Poly Panou - Papakonstantinou

8. Parios - Remos - ??? - ??? (sorry, I do not know the two female singers)

9. Terzis - Tsaliggopoulou (I assume)

If I made any mistakes, corrections are welcome.

Kalogiannis made his first records in 1970. I think for a certain time, during dictatorship in Greece, he was also in exile (in France??). Maybe Francois can tell us more details about it. Kalogiannis' first records were with songs by Mikis Theodorakis.

Well, Kaloyannis was in exile in France and Britain with Farantouri and Theodorakis. In France, he recorded the first version of "Ta laika", "Ta tragoudia tou Andrea", "Katastash Poliorkias", and astounding live version of "Ilios kai Hronos" and "Epifania Averof" with Yves Montand reading the French translation of Seferis's poem!!!!!!! :razz: I recomend all those CD's which are available I think. I also recommend the Albert Hall recording of Sikelianos' "Pnevmatiko Emvatirio", another extremely moving moment. All these recordings are very special ones for me, as they were "my" music when I was a teenager (no anglo-saxon stuff :wow: ...). Kaloyannis, Farantouri and Mouskouri were my favourites then at a time I had not listened to Alexiou or Bellou yet and I didn't know the name of Dalaras although I had listened to some of his songs from my grandmother's short waves radio set.

Yes, Kaloyannis IS a great singer. I saw him only once at Kalithea Stadium in 1978 during concert for the Thessaloniki earthquake of the same year.

Greekbooks.gr has on its catalogue a cd called O Antonis Kalogiannis tragouda Moustaki (1993)

Has anyone heard it ? Is ist good ?

It is not bad, Annette, quite pleasant in fact. :music: But it is much older than this!!!!!!!!!!

Merci Francois !

Plus rapide y'a pas :)

1993 must be the date of the cd to replace the LP I suppose.

8. Parios - Remos - ??? - ??? (sorry, I do not know the two female singers)

The female singers are Maria Soultatou(with the red dress) and Ntina Xrona.

Greekbooks.gr has on its catalogue a cd called O Antonis Kalogiannis tragouda Moustaki (1993)

Has anyone heard it ? Is ist good ?

In the album "Mikra erotika & megales ermineies" (1994) I have now, there are the songs:

Xoros (Danse), 1979 (the former, LP edition of: "A.K. tragouda Moustaki")

Mesogeios (En Mediterrannee)

Stin kardia se zito (Grand Pere)

Monaxia (Ma solitude), LP; Antonis Kalogiannis, 1975.

Brilliant with his voice (En Mediterrannee even better than in the Paris concert by Moustaki himself :)), but a bit strange, if you are too used to the French version.

Pardon for the missing accents in French titles, but I got my beloved salad of letters instead....

Kate, Marijke, MIchael, thank you for the names given to the faces! :music:

A-ha: Bifikotzis junior?

Please, write more!

Michael, with Eleni Tsaligopoulou: right!

What about any recordings of Antonis Kalogiannis after 1994?

Before my last questions could be answered, already the next one:

who recorded Mimis Plessas' and Lefteris Papadopoulos "I proti fora"

between Rena Koumioti** (I miss every detail about her) and Giannis Kotsiras this year?

** 1969, recording "O dromos", a perfect beauty, what hurts (something in the direction: res severa est verum gaudium), I can not name it better this week after I got it finally........

Authors, music, textes, voices (Giannis Poulopoulos as Rena Koumioti's partner). Including some, in the years, well known songs: Γέλαγε η Μαρία, (one of the popular Greek music recording hits), Το άγαλμα,¨Επεφτε βαυιά σιωπή (translated in the Forum a while ago).

Aha, and Ξημερώνει κυριακή, also reminded by Giannis Kotsiras (Marijke, your task to describe this rdcording better, well?).

Please, write more!

Unfortunately there is not much to write (at least from my side). :)

He published one CD in 2000: "Oi Hartes". Since this time: Nothing. :)

A good voice (similar to that of his father), very beautiful songs (as you will hear them seldom today). But obviously the style and the quality that is not in demand today in Greece. :)

What about any recordings of Antonis Kalogiannis after 1994?

Only the already mentioned CD "Istories aggelon" from 1997 (plus perhaps some participations on records of other artists with one or two songs). There were published some other records with songs by Kalogiannis but these are only collections of older titles.

who recorded Mimis Plessas' and Lefteris Papadopoulos "I proti fora"

between Rena Koumioti (I miss every detail about her) and Giannis Kotsiras this year?

Should exist such a record? I do not know one.

"αγάπη μου, αγάπη μου, καυμέ μου και γιορτή,

ο κόσμος είναι ψέυτικος και εσύ αληθινή...."

Does anyone know the quoted song? If yes, whose is that? The voice seems to be Antonis Kalogiannis. Right?

Please, write more!

He is one of the bouzouki players in Bellou's CD "Χαλάλι σου" :D , together with Stelios Zafiriou.

He used to play (the bouzouki) at a very stupid TV game in the 1980's... :razz:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0