Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s gursu

From Hurriyet...

11 posts in this topic

This interview is from Hurriyet (15th June).Being very busy in the last months I couldn't post it to the forum until now.

I hope you can ignore the mistakes,I've made while translating it from Turkish to English :(

Famous Greek Musician,George Dalaras:

"My mother didn't only bring the dishes of Izmir but also the culture of Anatolia"]

Arzu Ceylan/Berlin

Son of a mother from Izmir,and the apple of his family's eyes...George Dalaras was grown up listening to the melodies of his father who was one of the greatest masters of Rebetiko.All men in his family were playing an instrument mainly violin,guitar and bouzouki.Dalaras' songs included rythms of Gypsy,Arabic,Latin American and Greek Folk music.He wrote his first song at the age of 15 and he appeared on stage when he was 17.He sang rebetiko,he worked with Mikis Theodorakis and after the 80s he became a worldwide famous star.He worked with Sting,Paco de Lucia,Al di Meola,Ariel Ramirez,Bruce Springsteen,Peter Gabriel and Ian Anderson.We spoke to him at his hotel room,after a concert he held in Berlin.

A.C.:Your mother is from Izmir,have you ever been to Turkey?

G.D.:Yes,but to be honest it has been a rather long time since the last time*.Still I have an ardent desire for going there.The first place I'd like to go when I have an opportunity is Izmir.

A.C.:Why Izmir?

G.D.:I've been to Istanbul,Izmir and Efes.I especially liked Istanbul very much but my mother is from a very old family of Izmir.Her family roots go back to the Christodoulou family in the Byzantine Empire.Her father,my grandfather,was in the chorus of Agia Irene Church in Izmir.She had to leave Izmir after 1922.That's why Izmir is very special for me.In my music Izmir has always been both a starting point and a never-ending desire.

A.C.:As your mother is from Izmir,there must have been Anatolian taste in her dishes?

G.D.:Very much,indeed!She used to cook typical Anatolian food.But not only with her dishes but also with her life style and her view of life she was an exact Anatolian woman.When they had to move from Izmir to Athens she certainly brought Anatolian people's life style with her.I can say that she made an excellent synthesis of Greek culture and Anatolian culture.Anyway all those who had migrated from Anatolia to Greece have made this synthesis and they changed Greece in a positive way.

A:C.:Certainly your mother knew Turkish?

G:D.:Yes,she could speak Turkish.I don't remember very clearly but she used to speak Turkish with our neighbours.

A.C.: Do you know that you have too many fans in Turkey?

G.D.:I know that they like my music in Turkey.They heard my name especially after Mikra Asia.

A.C.:When will you give your first concert in Turkey?

G.D.:The problems between Turkey and Greece are being solved one by one.I'm very sure that the right time for a concert will come one day.**

A.C.:Haris Alexiou and Sezen Aksu gave concerts in Izmir,Istanbul and Athens,together.What did you think about this?

G.D.:I liked it,very good.

A.C.:With which Turkish singer would you like to give a concert?

G.D.:When that time comes we ,the artists,find each other.

A.C.:Are there any Turkish singers you know?

G.D.:Yes and too many.I believe that Turkish musicians and singers are among the world's best artists.

A.C.:You are from the 68 generation.What do you think when you compare the songs sung in those years and today?

G.D.:A dramatic change!I wish countries which have old history in music ,can resist American music's effects.

A.C.:Isn't there any hope?

G.D.:There's,there's,don't worry.I still believe that sophisticated people will prevent the quality in music from being declined.

A.C.:What's your aim,dream in music?

G.D.:I was born in a time when people were protesting many things.Music and singing wasn't like a job for me.Certainly there are monetary worries.But my music should always be ahead of these worries.

S Gursu :razz:

* :D:D

** :(:music:

Cok guzel danisma, Sarper Abi!

Tesekkur & iyi aksamlar, sevgili Hekim!

:(

What language was the interview in originally? English? Or even German? After what was said there, I do not think, the son of Soultana Darala can speak proper Turkish, does he?

Aaach, moment: after the concert he held in Berlin? Then, it must be an interview made on the 5th of July 2002 or have I hopelessly omitted anything inbetween?

As I understood the interview was taken in Berlin but the reporter must have been a Turk guy i girl.

So it would be interesting to know what name for Ismirn ie Smirni Dalaras used..

I hope nobody is hurt by this and in case some are, I am sorry.

We all know what Dalaras thinks of this issue...well I think we do... :)

Nikh,

it's now called Izmir and so say our Turkish friends,

no wonder, if the Greeks use the old name Smyrna.

All the curse of political neighbourhoods in war times, not only there.

This interview is from Hurriyet (15th June).Being very busy in the last months I couldn't post it to the forum until now.

I hope you can ignore the mistakes,I've made while translating it from Turkish to English :)

Famous Greek Musician,George Dalaras:

"My mother didn't only bring the dishes of Izmir but also the culture of Anatolia"]

Arzu Ceylan/Berlin

Son of a mother from Izmir,and the apple of his family's eyes...George Dalaras was grown up listening to the melodies of his father who was one of the greatest masters of Rebetiko.All men in his family were playing an instrument mainly violin,guitar and bouzouki.Dalaras' songs included rythms of Gypsy,Arabic,Latin American and Greek Folk music.He wrote his first song at the age of 15 and he appeared on stage when he was 17.He sang rebetiko,he worked with Mikis Theodorakis and after the 80s he became a worldwide famous star.He worked with Sting,Paco de Lucia,Al di Meola,Ariel Ramirez,Bruce Springsteen,Peter Gabriel and Ian Anderson.We spoke to him at his hotel room,after a concert he held in Berlin.

A.C.:Your mother is from Izmir,have you ever been to Turkey?

G.D.:Yes,but to be honest it has been a rather long time since the last time*.Still I have an ardent desire for going there.The first place I'd like to go when I have an opportunity is Izmir.

A.C.:Why Izmir?

G.D.:I've been to Istanbul,Izmir and Efes.I especially liked Istanbul very much but my mother is from a very old family of Izmir.Her family roots go back to the Christodoulou family in the Byzantine Empire.Her father,my grandfather,was in the chorus of Agia Irene Church in Izmir.She had to leave Izmir after 1922.That's why Izmir is very special for me.In my music Izmir has always been both a starting point and a never-ending desire.

A.C.:As your mother is from Izmir,there must have been Anatolian taste in her dishes?

G.D.:Very much,indeed!She used to cook typical Anatolian food.But not only with her dishes but also with her life style and her view of life she was an exact Anatolian woman.When they had to move from Izmir to Athens she certainly brought Anatolian people's life style with her.I can say that she made an excellent synthesis of Greek culture and Anatolian culture.Anyway all those who had migrated from Anatolia to Greece have made this synthesis and they changed Greece in a positive way.

A:C.:Certainly your mother knew Turkish?

G:D.:Yes,she could speak Turkish.I don't remember very clearly but she used to speak Turkish with our neighbours.

A.C.: Do you know that you have too many fans in Turkey?

G.D.:I know that they like my music in Turkey.They heard my name especially after Mikra Asia.

A.C.:When will you give your first concert in Turkey?

G.D.:The problems between Turkey and Greece are being solved one by one.I'm very sure that the right time for a concert will come one day.**

A.C.:Haris Alexiou and Sezen Aksu gave concerts in Izmir,Istanbul and Athens,together.What did you think about this?

G.D.:I liked it,very good.

A.C.:With which Turkish singer would you like to give a concert?

G.D.:When that time comes we ,the artists,find each other.

A.C.:Are there any Turkish singers you know?

G.D.:Yes and too many.I believe that Turkish musicians and singers are among the world's best artists.

A.C.:You are from the 68 generation.What do you think when you compare the songs sung in those years and today?

G.D.:A dramatic change!I wish countries which have old history in music ,can resist American music's effects.

A.C.:Isn't there any hope?

G.D.:There's,there's,don't worry.I still believe that sophisticated people will prevent the quality in music from being declined.

A.C.:What's your aim,dream in music?

G.D.:I was born in a time when people were protesting many things.Music and singing wasn't like a job for me.Certainly there are monetary worries.But my music should always be ahead of these worries.

S Gursu :D

* :pity::(

** :razz::D

TEŞEKKÜRLER ÇOK ÇOK....... :music:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0