Christo

Zorbas

17 posts in this topic

With this title Zorba

we know so much of the Famous Movie with Anthony Quinn

and that famous composer Mikis Theodorakis

wrote this Famous Syrtaki, and hence became known as the famous Syrtaki dance of Greece for tourists to come.

But what many people don't know is that someone from a long time ago in France I believe wrote and sung lyrics to Zorba the Greek.

And the song was renamed ZORBAS hence for Zorba.

NOTE: this is not the same song Theodorakis wrote for the score to

"STROSE TO STOMA SOY" first sung by Yannis Poulopoulos.

This Zorbas rendition is all sung in French and sings throughout the composition from the instrumental Bouzouki recording all the way up to the last & fast 2/4 Hasoposerviko part. Incredible Yes but indeed it's true.

I have a copy of this and the French singer is named "Dalida"

but it does not state the year it was recorded as it is a Greek mixed cd with the exception of Zorba and that's the only song she is singing on there.

But why I post it here and not in Movies is

I was wondering if our French Friends here in the club who might have a copy of it and has heard the tune might be able to translate

what is being said both either in English (1st choice) or Greek (2nd choice).

Francois

Any clue to what I'm talking about?

FYI:

I purchased the CD the last time I visited Greece near the Plaka

in the Monastiri shopping area.

Or was it in Cyprus in a souvenir Shop?

hmm, can't recall as its too long ago.

It's a good thing you brought this up, because I recently watched a documentary in French class, and I thought I'd gone crazy. In it, the crew followed one male French student around his classes, one of which was music, and there he and his classmates played a song with instruments while their teacher sang along. As I listened I felt uneasy because I knew I'd heard the music somewhere. Suddenly it dawned on me, even as my teacher was describing it as a "traditional French folk song," that it was the syrtaki of Zorba! I then began to fear that perhaps Mikis Theodorakis ripped it off or something.... :disgust:

I then began to fear that perhaps Mikis Theodorakis ripped it off or something.... :D

This piece, or at least the fast part of it, is not by Theodorakis. I heard a very old recording of it from a Greek programme on the Belgian radio. :pity:

Off topic, but I can't resist writing a few words about Dalida whom I do not like that much as a singer (although she was a wonderful entertainer) but whose personality I liked very much. She lived alone with her solitude and eventually commited suicide. She was very respected here in France. Her best achievement are not her songs, but the part she played in Yusef Shahin's film "Al yaum assadis" ("The sixth day"), set in the British occupied Egypt...

Her versions of "Zorba" and of "Ta paidia tou Piraia" are quite ridiculous curiosities, I must say! :razz:

She lived alone with her solitude and eventually commited suicide.

:)

;)

Francois,

I had no idea.

I'm sorry that happened. What a tragedy.

Well I don't know if Zorbas music was copied from her though as I think

the movie was filmed and released long before 1965; but I am guessing that due to it's Black & White footage. And that actress Irene Papas looks quite young in the movie too.

And Brian,

I checked out the links

but the lyrics are only available in French and I think in Dutch,

But nothing in English or Greek?

sorry but this doesn't really help me out at all?

Do you know what is being said and would you care to interpret whats being said for us?

:)

:blink:

Well, Christo, I'm no translator but since French was almost my mother tongue, I'm going to try this for you. (my English will certainly be very poor but anyone who wishes to make the translation better, please, be my guest. I'll appreciate the help)

There,

Zorba

In his country

Is rushing.

He dances the sirtaki,

Joy is already leading his feet.

Come on, he stretches his arms towards us.

If you want to cover with pink

everything you see in grey

Come and dance the sirtaki.

If you're really feeling blue

If you want your worries and your cares

To disappear,

If you're looking for your youth

Come and dance with Zorba.

Come and dance in order to forget

That a new day shall rise.

The East wind

Has just brought

Some notes,

which float in the summer sky.

I already feel that this air

will make our steps rise.

There,

The night is already falling down.

Days

Are short

For lovers.

Summer

Will soon leave us

We must take advantage (of it).

If you're someone

Who steals moments of oblivion to time,

Someone who is suspicious of words,

If you're someone,

Who thinks

amidst his own worries,

About the rocking boats

If you're someone,

Who empties deep down all happiness,

Laughing at the wrinkles,

If you're someone,

Who dares

To be proud of a beating heart,

While observing a rose,

Come and dance with Zorba

Come and dance with Zorba

Coma and dance with Zorba

:vlakas:

Celeste

thats FANTASTIC

Meci de coup

Thank you

You know

without really knowing for the longest time what the words were saying

I thought somehow the lyrics might be kind of silly or even stupid.

But now, this is hardly such the case

A pity Theodorakis, did not ask any of the lyricsts around from that time in Greece to write some Greek lyrics to this Great Syrtaki.

They do actually fit well now

:razz:

:music:

Hello Christo the Greek! :razz: You're absolutely welcome!

I see you still remember some French so to Merci Beaucoup I say: Il n'y a pas de quoi!

A pity Theodorakis, did not ask any of the lyricsts around from that time  in Greece to write some Greek lyrics to this Great Syrtaki.

"Syrtaki"... I don't think much of this word... It has harmed Greek music so much, as well as the music it was associated with has harmed Greek music...

Anyway, Melina Merkouri has sang a version in Greek. And I can affirm that the last fast part of this piece is Greek, but was "borrowed" by Mikis. I have heard the original recording, a very old recording from those 78 "strophes plakes" from a Greek broadcast on the Belgian radio (RTBF). The announcer was called Yiannis...

Hello Christo the Greek! :razz: You're absolutely welcome!

I see you still remember some French so to Merci Beaucoup I say: Il n'y a pas de quoi!

see you still remember some French so to Merci Beaucoup I say: Il n'y a pas de quoi!

:music::music:

:music:

oh yeah

well Celeste as you can see

that's about all the French I know.

Another good language for me to pick up sometime later down the future well that is to say if in fact I ever find the time to sit down and actually do learn it.

But in the meantime, let me try to say that again as I messed it up so

poorly last time

Merci Beaucoup

there now,

I think thats right now!

who knows maybe someday someone from Greece or abroad will redo the lyrics in Greek.

A pity Theodorakis, did not ask any of the lyricsts around from that time  in Greece to write some Greek lyrics to this Great Syrtaki.

"Syrtaki"... I don't think much of this word... It has harmed Greek music so much, as well as the music it was associated with has harmed Greek music...

Anyway, Melina Merkouri has sang a version in Greek. And I can affirm that the last fast part of this piece is Greek, but was "borrowed" by Mikis. I have heard the original recording, a very old recording from those 78 "strophes plakes" from a Greek broadcast on the Belgian radio (RTBF). The announcer was called Yiannis...

Francois when did Melina sing this rendition in Greek and was it ever recorded onto disk or tape?

Is it the Actual Zorba Instrumental song she sang too? or is it from the theme song too Strose to Stroma Soy?

And how about the 78 "srophes" plaka you mentioned?

Was this a Greek recording by Theodorakis from that long ago that Yannis (the announcer) mentioned?

or was this a French tune sung & played in french heard on the air waves over a Belgian radio? And who was singing on the 78 record Merkouri or was it from Dalida?

So many questions and yet so few answers!

Now you really peacked and intrigued my curiosity.

:razz:

who knows maybe someday someone from Greece or abroad will redo the lyrics in Greek.

:D

Christo, I see that you haven't read my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pity:

oh yeah

well Celeste as you can see

that's about all the French I know.

Another good language for me to pick up sometime later down the future well that is to say if in fact I ever find the time to sit down and actually do learn it.

But in the meantime, let me try to say that again as I messed it up so

poorly last time

Merci Beaucoup

there now,

I think thats right now!

No, Christo, you didn't mess up. My Greek would make you cry with laughter! I hope you didn't think I was being ironic or that I was making fun with you. Not my intention at all! Maybe just trying to show you in a discreet way how to say it. well, not so discreet after all.

Still friends? :D

Francois when did Melina sing this rendition in Greek and was it ever recorded onto disk or tape?

Is it the Actual Zorba Instrumental song she sang too? or is it from the theme song too Strose to Stroma Soy?

And how about the 78 "srophes" plaka you mentioned?

Was this a Greek recording by Theodorakis from that long ago that Yannis (the announcer) mentioned?

or was this a French tune sung & played in french heard on the air waves over a Belgian radio? And who was singing on the 78 record Merkouri or was it from Dalida?

So many questions and yet so few answers!

Now you really peacked and intrigued my curiosity.

:pity:

Christo, I do not know just now when Melina recorded it, but I have it on one of her CD's.

It is not "Strose to stroma sou gia dyo" which is something completely different, and of course, much more interesting, it is the actual "Zorba instrumental song", as you call it.

As for that 78 "strofes" record, it was NOT a recording by Theodorakis, but a VERY old recording (which was made before WW II) of the hasaposerviko we can hear in Mikis's Zorba's dance. Therefore, this hasaposerviko is not a composition by Theodorakis. Theodorakis only "borrowed" it.

Nobody was singing on it, neither Dalida, nor Melina. It was an original instrumental recording of a Greek hasaposerviko. Nothing French at all (Btw, Dalida was not French, she was Egyptian and her first language was Arabic...).

I can remember I was puzzled, at that time, to learn that this famous melody was not a Theodorakis composition, but a very old "paradosiako" hasaposerviko. I can't tell you more about it. I told you everything I know... I swear!!! :):D

:D

To Celeste

Friends?

did someone say freinds?

:pity::)

But of course we still are

and no I never thought I was being teased

I was pretending to play silly

but well the cats out of the bag now so no more pretending in hiding!

To Francois

many thanks

I now know that the Hasoperserviko part was borrowed as I didn't know

which one wasn't from before until now.

So that means then, the slow part in the beginning is Mikis and everything else beginning with.

the one that sounds like ohh lets see here

Da Dum, Da Dum, Da da da Da

Right?

Well anyway if thats all you know and can't answer anymore

Merci beacoup

and many thanks for all your information

Christo

;)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead