Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amisusan

When In Portugal???

21 posts in this topic

I just wonder my dear friends, when is Dalaras going to perform in my country-Portugal.

I wish this could be possible!

:(

Let us keep dreaming about this.......

Filakia

Well, at least it would be less expensive than going to London! The fact is that I don't think Dalaras has an audience here so... Spain could be a fairly good option too. But I don't think he ever did a concert in Spain. There's something rotten in the Iberian Peninsula kingdom... :disgust:

Dear Celeste

Maybe you are not aware of how many Portuguese know already Dalaras, but I am and I can tell you, that is growing up day by day.

Regarding Spain, I don´t think it is a good idea. We shall fight in order to bring him to our country and not, as always, to our neighbour.

Portugal is not so unknown to HIM. He has a CD called Latin that includes one FADO song and as a matter of fact, it´s a wonderful performance.

I still keep my hope that one day he will come.

Beijo,

Susana

:disgust::):razz::razz:

Dear Celeste

Maybe you are not aware of how many Portuguese know already Dalaras, but I am and I can tell you, that is growing up day by day.

Susana, I think it's wonderful if the Portuguese are getting acquainted with Dalaras but maybe it's more in the South - where I presume you live- but here in the North, I don't know anyone.

As for Spain, it's a lesser "evil" (Nick, watch out! I'm not saying that Spain is evil! :) I love it). As I said it would be less expensive than other farther away cities of Europe and easier to get to.

Beijinhos

Celeste

P.S: recebeste a minha mensagem? Pergunto isto porque às vezes o messenger não é lá muito fiável. :disgust:

Howdy! Well, the usual awareness of Greece that we, Portuguese, usually have is that it somehow has surpassed us in economic terms, that they have that blonde long haired singer who lives in the States and whose name I can't remember anymore and maybe that there are some islands, old ruins and beaches. But I do welcome your optimism! :disgust:

Edit: I've just been told that his name is Yannis, that he is dark haired and that he has a moustache! That's how aware I am of him! :)

Dear Celeste

I am not from the south but from the north -PORTO- and once again i let you know that there are many Portuguese here who know Dalaras.

It´s hard to find a CD because as soon as they arrive in Fnac they are sold out.

Maybe i am very optimistic but sooner or later you will find out that I am not so wrong.

Two years ago, if you mentioned Dulce Pontes in Greece nobody would know. Now she is famous and invited to perform overthere.

Where is the difference?Both are great voices. Advertisement is what is needed, that´s all!

Sorry, but sometimes it´s hard to admit the fact that despite being in Europe, it seems we are out of it!

Maybe, just by discussing this, we are closer to that goal!

Filakia...Susana

I am? Well, I don't know but I grew up in Porto, lived in Athens for a while, and have been living in Maia. Frankly, I've never met anyone who knew anything interesting about Greece - and I mean anything, including a couple of people who visited. And when I was in Athens teaching English at a frontistirio I remember my students - even though we know Dalaras is big in Greece and among Greek communities - enjoyed two things: boys bands such as the Backstreet Boys (if I'm not mistaken) and rock bands such as Sepultura, for example, depending on the tastes. And later on, also in Greece, I remember having been told "Dalaras is over", even though we know he's not. In Portugal, from everyone I know, people either don't know a thing about Greece or find the sounds too strange, that is if it's people I show something to. Of course, a lot of people know (and loathe) Yannis, Vangelis, Demis Roussos maybe... Well, naturally, I believe some people I've never met are acquainted with Dalaras's songs (or, at least, the very few that arrive here) but that doesn't really make them many or even a visibly growing number. Just my two cents worth... :D

Dear Celeste

I am not from the south but from the north -PORTO- and once again i let you know that there are many Portuguese here who know Dalaras.

:wow::wow::wow::wow:

Big news you're giving me Susana! I really thought you were living in the south! Then I'm very pleased to ackowledge that people here know Dalaras but Nighthawk's words are mine. Every time I show Dalaras to people, they are not particularly interested or find it too weird - and I'm lucky if they don't mock me :disgust:

Nighthawk, you forgot the music of Zorba. Here people know it too. :razz:

You're absolutely right, my mistake, people do know Zorbas! Anyway, this can be an interesting debate... One of these evenings on TV, in that program called "Prós e Contras", they were discussing why Portuguese events were seldom presnt in international news. They all seemed astonished but the problem's really a no-problem... The very simple answer is very few internationally interesting events take place in Portugal. Now, how many times do we speak of Greece unless there's some bomb attack by November 17th or something? How often do we speak of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Slovenia, whatever? Do the Greeks have a fair idea of Portugal? Do the Portuguese have a fair idea of Greece? There's a wide gap, yes, even in these internet days, a wide gap between our two kinds of cultures (Western Europe and Turkish influenced Eastern Europe) and it won't be filled just like that, merely because we wish it to be. I don't see Dalaras having a great audience in any kind of future here and even much less other more folk oriented Greek musicians I love. But it's a good thing that some people are interested, let me stress it, some people. I count myself amongst them... :razz:

Shall i answer?

Well, maybe it deserves an answer.

As a Portuguese and based on my life experience, i couldn´t ignore your message Nighthawk....

First of all, it leaves me SAD when i realise the image that you and many people have about the Portuguese, Greeks and so on.

The subject is no longer what the Portuguese know about Dalaras, but what the Portuguese know about Greece and vice-versa.

I can tell you that fortunately, i know many and i repeat many people in my own country that know a lot about Greece, that visited the country and are interested to know about it. Regarding the Greek music, i can tell you that maybe Dalaras isn´t known as he should be, for a celebrity as he is, with 10 million album sold and 30 years singing, but doesn´t mean that we are ALL ignorants.

Regarding the interest that Greeks show about Dalaras, there is no question about it. I got to know him from my Greek friends that live in Greece and abroad. Usually i go to Greece 3-4 times per year and for many years already and i never, never, got such impression.

I am sorry for this, but this is what i am as well. Can´t leave in vain some thoughts.

Filaiki

Susana

:)

1st part:I can tell you that fortunately, i know many and i repeat many people in my own country that know a lot about Greece, that visited the country and are interested to know about it. Regarding the Greek music, i can tell you that  maybe Dalaras isn´t known as he should be, for a celebrity as he is, with 10 million album sold and 30 years singing, but doesn´t mean that we are ALL ignorants.

2nd partRegarding the interest that Greeks show about Dalaras, there is no question about it. I got to know him from my Greek friends that live in Greece and abroad. Usually i go to Greece 3-4 times per year and for many years already and i never, never, got such impression.

3rd part: I am sorry for this, but this is what i am as well. Can´t leave in vain some thoughts.

Filaiki

Susana

Susanita, há muitas realidades e espanta-me muito que não te apercebas da realidade mais vasta... Mas tudo bem. Já agora, gostava de saber por que razão te passou pela cabeça se deverias ou não responder... Achas que eu estava a provocar alguém? Nem pensar! Mas também te pergunto sem malícia alguma: será que tens uma enorme vontade de transmitir a imagem de um Portugal que sonhas mais do que vives?

And now for the rest:

1st part: Being interested in Greece is no synonim for knowing Greece. Many people is always relative - they are many in your brain (or maybe you know many affluent people that may travel wherever and whenever they wish to. Maybe you're affluent yourself? Well, but you know most people are getting poorer, not richer. And about equating not knowing Dalaras with being an ignorant, please! Dalaras is no God! He is a musician like any other, whose music I happen to enjoy, but still one more musician. Many people don't like music. Many people pay no special attention to the music they listen to. And many people just listen to music as they could be watching TV or doing some bricolage. They are not ignorants - they just happen to be that way. I, myself, had a musical education but I find it outrageous that you have to listen to music everywhere, all day long and I also find it outrageous to place artists in some pedestal above the common of mortals. I've written some things and even published, I go on making music because it pleases me, but I don't think that makes anybody any special - just different, because most people don't do it, that's why. I'm still in contact with some musicians, I've been more before but, allow me, I've never met any of them who knew Dalaras or anything particular about Greece. That is reality and they are not ignorants. They certainly know a lot of other things and could teach anybody a lesson about a thing or two - and that could be said about many other people who never heard of Dalaras. So what?

2nd part: I wish I could go to Greece three to four times a year but as I stated previously that isn't most people's reality. Most people's reality is hard earned money and depression. So, you know Greeks who like Dalaras. Cool. There are also those who don't care. And there are those who dislike him. Does that make anyone less Greek?

3rd part: You don't have to be sorry about anything. I always enjoy a good debate and that's what a democratic forum's all about (or should be, because many people tend to act far too seriously). Always say what's on your mind, I will too. ;)

Filakia kai gia sena

Jorge

How are Greece and Dalaras known internationally, except for those who are crazy about them?

Greece = Greek islands, Zorba the Greek, souvlakis, the Olympics.

Dalaras = pardon me?

Personally, I think it does not matter how each one views Dalaras, as the best singer in the world, or something more. People get what they can, and what they want, from music, and from the artists/singers they like. After all, it is them who attend the concerts and buy the CD's.

Singers come and go, only in Dalaras' case, he stays a little longer than most.

Well, I guess it all has to do with our own experiences...Mine agrees much more with Nighthawk's opinion- unfortunately, since this is what I see just as you see differently Susana and it's ok and as valid as my opinion or Nighthawk's. Nobody is lying here, we just have different points of view which is great and noone is trying to convince anyone. And particularly, it's important and IMHO it's valid for the whole forum, having different points of view doesn't mean that we get angry or mad at someone. As for me, I also like a good debate. Good for the brain.:)

Brian, my man, you said it all!!! :)

Replying Nighthawk comments:

Dear friends

I just want to make a point! First of all, when i said that we are not ALL ignorants, I was refering to the way Nighthawk expressed himself about the Portuguese aknowledgement in general and not only regarding Dalaras, as a singer. If you regard the message, it seems that we (Portuguese) are really ignorants.

The number is not only on my head, Nighthawk! Believe it or not, it is a reality for me.

Maybe you are right when you mentioned that I am lucky by affording to travel, but you don´t need to travel to improve your knowledge, as long as you are an interested person. Further more, money power is not a synonimous of being cult.

Let´s make clear that Dalaras is not God, but his voice is special and this is the reason why we are all here exchanging comments.

Each one of us has his own experience, each own believes and nobody ever can change this.

My message had the goal to be positive. I lead in my life with a sad reality in my professional career and music fulfills me, specialy when it is a beautiful voice or a great melody. ...and this applies to Dalaras, Alexiou, Eleftheria, Theodorakis and many more, either Greek or not Greek!

"...Greeks.....and there are those who dislike him. Does that make anyone less Greek?"

Who said that? It is amazing the way people misunderstand us.

"Always say what is on your mind, I will too."

You can be sure of it!

The fact that we all share the same taste for this great singer and the opportunity that we have to share our feelings it´s wonderful. I just can´t accept negative things that destroy our image and don´t make justice to our values.

Take care

Susana

Ok, this getting a little silly and out of hand, especially because this discussion - or is it some kind of argument right now? - which is taking place in an international forum can only be entirely understood by a Portuguese with a long Portuguese experience. At least, that's how it looks to me...

I could go on replying (in fact, I have invited you to do so and you needn't react so agressively, right?) but it feels somehow pointless... I will, though, if you really insist.

I'll leave you with a very simple phrase, which you'll be able to understand just as long as you'll be willing to do your homework, ie introspection: national inferiority complex - and, pretty please, do not reply by telling me I'm the one who has it and so forth, and so forth...

Take as long as you need to self examine and look around you. Or simply disregard my advice as if I were some kind of freak. Whichever suits you the best...

Regards.

I ask myself which one is more agressive.....

No more comments. Enough!!!

( I am very sorry to all those in this forum who had to assist to this episode. I had a good will when i opened this topic and i never thought to get this feedback!......Sorry!)

Take care

Susana

Well, yes, no big deal really, especially if you've been to other forums and/or are used to dialoguing rather than monologuing...

I agree it's enough (and I thought I'd made it clear) but I'm only sorry you had to reply before even trying to figure out precisely what I was saying all this time...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0