Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

Foreign Songs Translated Into Greek

20 posts in this topic

Some Greek songs have been made famous in English or in French by Nana Mouskouri and Demis Roussos.

What about the reverse? Are foreign songs translated into Greek and who would have sung them? Any chance "Ne Me Quit-te Pas" has been translated?

What about popular songs like Happy Birthday or We Wish You a Merry Christmas?

Does Dalaras sing Chrismas songs at concerts that are scheduled near Christmas?

I read some months ago that Ne Me Quitte Pas was sung in Greek but not by Dalaras. Although I think that only Brel sang it the way it should be... :)

I read some months ago that Ne Me Quitte Pas was sung in Greek but not by Dalaras. Although I think that only Brel sang it the way it should be... :)

You are absolutely right, Celeste! But I quite like the Nina Simone version too (she sang it in French and she makes me shiver every time I listen to her...) :wow:

But I quite like the Nina Simone version too (she sang it in French and she makes me shiver every time I listen to her...) :wow:

Is it the song or Nina Simone who makes you shivering? :)

Well, I just startled the socks off one my friends with "Mad about you" in Greek... (Dalaras, first song on 'I asfaltos pou trechei')

Apart from that, and off the top of my head, I can think of the following (all thanks to Radio Melodia where I heard them)

Charis Aleksiou sings some Brel, both in Greek and in French

Somebody sings "Gare au gorille", the outrageous George Brassens song, in Greek (I have heard it several times but still don't know who it is - I suspect Christos Thivaios)

Savvopoulos has done "There must be some kind of way out of here" in Greek, the Katsimichas brothers also sing it, I love it. I think Savvo has done more of that kind of thing but I can't think of examples at the moment.

There are some covers of Dylan song around as well.

The great poet and song-lyric writer Lina Nikolakopoulou is very good at giving Greek lyrics to a foreign song. She's done the Bregovic things, most of them, for example.

If you want to count poems, as well as songs (I think it's very fitting), there is also the very famous poem by Charles Baudelaire, 'l'Albatros', which has been set to music by Sokratis Malamas - I forget who translated it, but I find it extremely beautiful.

Savvopoulos has done "There must be some kind of way out of here" in Greek, the Katsimichas brothers also sing it, I love it.

For those who don't know it, this is Dylan's "All along the watchtower".

If you want to count poems, as well as songs (I think it's very fitting), there is also the very famous poem by Charles Baudelaire, 'l'Albatros', which has been set to music by Sokratis Malamas - I forget who translated it, but I find it extremely beautiful.

Αλέξανδρος Μπάρας translated it (this is how my browser shows greek lettering, a bit annoying; you guess the wovels Edit: Apparently they shows OK for most people.), and the music is actually by Nikos Xydakis, although Malamas sings it. Just to nitpick a bit.

hi

nice topic

i think that "Xaroula Alexiou" has sung the "Ne Me Quit-te Pas"

another song from her that was translated to greek is "To tango tis Nefeli"...

Yannis Parios sung "TWRA POU SIMANE I WRA" (by:Paul de senneville and Oliver Toussaint)

and of course Arvanitaki's Armenian songs...

and more...!

:D

Andreas, thanks for correcting my mistakes about the Albatros. I actually came in to set it straight and found you had already done it :) .

For the "Tango tis nefelis" , Aleksiou has put Greek lyrics (not a translation) to a song by Loreena McKennit (a Canadian singer-songwriter, if memory serves).

Geske

thanks for correcting my mistake...i'am sorry...i wrote totally a wrong answer...all the songs i mentioned are not a Translation to Greek language... :):):razz::):D

Thank you to all for this wealth of information.

I would not be surprised if there are Turkish songs also.

I liked Anna, Kane Kouragio. A lot, in fact. Mad About You? The voices don't match at all. I much prefer Wooden Horse/Periplanasi (??).

As for the French side, I don't know Nina Simone. But I am willing to try. I hope I won't catch the chills like Francois. I can't stand the cold.

And Brel's live version of Olympia 61 is breathtaking. You are right, Celeste!

Any chance "Ne Me Quit-te Pas" has been translated?

A marvellous version of this one is sung by Giannis Parios under the title "Μή μ'αφήνεις, μή...". To be found of the CD "Θα με θυμηθείς" of MINOS-EMI, Nr 7243 4 80057 2 4. No date given only, krima! Who knows?

His voice is very clear here, the translation (Pythagoras, the author of "Mikra Asia" words) is good (althought I can not confirm, if it is very close to the original text).

And moreover I can understand more than from the original version.....

Fadi, where have you heard Xaris Alexiou singing it? Any details?

And I am not sure. What was the first:

"Cok Uzaklarda" sung by Nilufer in Turkish or just

"To Tango tis Nefelis" by Xaris Alexiou in Greek?

Somebody of the Turkish members could please compare the texts for us one day. Luetfen & tesekkuer.....

:)

Welcome back,Olga!

And this time, Ne nous quit-te pas!

Your version of the song is an excellent one, Brian!!! :D

Yannis Parios sung "TWRA POU SIMANE I WRA" (by:Paul de senneville and Oliver Toussaint)

:D:):):):)

Thank you, Brian! Merci beaucoup, Francois file! And to many other friends, too.

The song mentioned by Fadi is on the same CD I quoted above. But I do not like it in the Greek version that much as the another one. Too characteristic French, I would say, or simply slightly better in the original prosody (althought in the less understandable language :))

[His voice is very clear here, the translation  (Pythagoras, the author of "Mikra Asia" words) is good (althought I can not confirm, if it is very close to the original text).

A small correction, Olga: The lyrics (simple translation? - I don't know) are not written by Pythagoras but by Sofi Pappa. (Unfortunately they mention it on the cover only in very small letters that 4 songs of this record have lyrics that are not not written by Pythagoras. :) )

Sofi Pappa is an extremely interesting artist: She is composer, lyrics-writer and singer by herself. I appreciate all these activities of her very much. Moreover she has recently written two novels (which up to now I haven't read, but surely some day I will do :D ).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0