Christo

memebers & messenger

18 posts in this topic

Hey Nikolas

I've got a suggestion to make

if possible at all to edit & add here in the club.

Is it posible to link the messenger box to reply quickly to a member such as the way Yahoo messenger &  hotmail messenger both work?

For example, rather then typing up a letter to say hello to someone on line and then that person has to open their inbox to read it, why noy enable it so the viewer can see the message coming through immediately on their pop up screen?

I don't know if this can be done or not or if other members here wouldn't like to see this happen, but give me your feedback if this is a good idea or not and if you will make this happen.

Christo

If you happened to use the Club in the first days, you had this feature, Instant Messaging, only for your 'friends', for those persons in your friendlist. You could send a message to an online friend and the message suddenly appeared. But then I removed it. Because it was too heavy in bandwidth terms. (had to check for a new message every time you hit a page and then reload every 20 secs.) I have never used Yahoo or Hotmail messengers, I don't know how they work. But have in mind that they are programs installed in your PC, am I right? Here we have to do with simple html? It is not easy and not "cheap" in bandwidth. Not at all. But the nee messenger will be a lot more flexible!

I guess what is meant is something like we had at NAPSTER. It was called instant message.

And it was an easy way for those ONLINE to communicate. But if NOT online you could NOT communicate.

Nikolas has chosen for the latter option because, I guess, here at Dalaras.com there are only a few users online at some instant.

But I would prefer an instant message option for quick communication

I just read what kind of message Michael got!

Maybe it's better to remove the Messenger from this web-site!! So if someone insults another one, it'll be public!!

Chris, I felt addressed.

This club here, for me it's like a family of people who like Dalaras. Every one in his way.

I wouldn't like to see maybe one member leaving, because he was insulted by others.

And I don't want to miss Michael's comments. A lot of them are very intereseting, many new informations.

And what's wrong about someone who sometimes 'rises his finger' and warns about 'blind following'?

I agree with Anna. Michael is a valuable member of our club with great knowledge of Greek Music and the background of it and of Dalaras in particular.

I disagree with Chris's opinion that it is NOT our business if he disrespects one of our friends and sends awfull Private Messages.

And I agree with Anna too. This is supposed to be a forum: "a medium for OPEN discussion" according to the dictionnary. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and make it known without being insulted. We should try to imitate Dalaras behaviour who according to Sarantis is always polite and considerate. From being "fans" don't let us become fanatics.

In response to all of the negativtivity on this thread, I felt compelled I should say a few words as well.

First of all, to me Dalaras is the greatest person & artist; and throughout my years as a adoring fanatic around other greeks abroad, I had to verbally fight with them why they don't like him and put him down.

Needless to say, it bothered me immensly that they can't keep their bad opinions to themselves knowing it will disrespect my feelings.

When I joined the club, it was under good Pretense pretense and good Faith that all of our members shared one good common entity!

and that being our love and passion for Dalaras voice, his music, charisma on stage, the songs he sings, his humanity for social problems and everything else that comes along with the man!!!

Now we have these confrontations going back and forth with the GOOD PRETENSE and FAITH being violated and abused.

and while I do admit with some members that

Michael's knowledge of Greek music is vast and importance,

Why then does he beligirently put Dalaras down and his works???

I have to take sides here with Chris & Saranti

for it does seem like all's Michael is doing now is just plain offending our feelings towards Dalaras and his music.

Take for exmple one of my favoritte albums Dalaras recorded.

'Latin'

Micheal went on to say, "it was a waste of time"

and now he says bastardly recording on 'Krymenna Klydia' with computers & synthesizers.  

Michael did you know I play the synthesizers on the side for a hobby?

So that is a very big put down to me and for you to say  that here to anyone else.

People,

I'm not here to gossip or say bad things about anyone

But what I will add is that I find it very hard to believe (almost impossible for that matter)  that Micaheal is a

Dalaras fan.  

Micheal if your really adore the music and singing of Dalaras, how can you really put him down like that and all of us here all the time?????

I don't want to start a fight here it just that these threadss have gotten out of control, nor do I want Nikolas to ban me now either, for this is what I had told him in the past from what I want to see on the threads and that is I quote "NO NEGATIVE Comments or SLANDER on Dalaras or us" and its happening now!

believe it or not, I respect and honor any ones concerns and opinions if they don't like this songs or style Dalaras just performed or recorded as long as its CONSTRUCTIVE Cristism and not Insulting!!!

By Insulting I mean when Michael wrote a thread as to why we should defend Dalaras ?

To me this is beligerent and vindictive, if you really are a fan of Dalaras music Michael, then you woudn't write this nor risk in upsetting the other members here now.

I say this to all others out here on the web as guests that want to trash Dalaras for what ever reason because he is involved in the Communist party, don't like his songs, the way he sings. or for whatever other reason have you not,

Then READ this post CAREFULLY,

Go to another site and start your own trash club.

IT IS NOT WELCOMED HERE...................

GO AWAY,  LEAVE US ALONE.................

(Edited by Christo at 9:13 pm on Aug. 20, 2001)

I feel that I mostly agree with what Christo has written.  Of course there are songs which I don't like from all the things that Dalaras has done but that's just my preference and nobody asks me to listen to them or comment on them.  Even if I commented I would just say I don't like that song and go no further as I know lots of other people like it.  I have seen people saying they like songs which I don't -so fine that's ok with me, as we are all different - Thank God - otherwise life would be boring.

Michael do you not like anything that Dalaras is doing now?  If this is the case then why are you buying his CD's (as you must be to be able to talk about them).  Please try to explain to me so I can understand where you are coming from.

Christo,Lynne you both make a great point and i agree..I personally got fed up of hearing Michael continually bash Dalaras.I too do not love every song Dalaras has done but i keep that part to myself so not to offend other members.If we continue to hear quotes like "Bastardized songs" ,"filter dalaras",and of cource what a mistake "latin" was then this enrages us.I feel that Michael does this on purpose to upset us and stir things up..Yes, we can be critical or have opinions but when you begin to bash as badly as Michael does then we must be prepared to defend Dalaras and our own feelings as well.What finally set me off was that he does not like remakes of other songs that Dalaras has done of other artists..Well, if everyone felt this way we would have missed out on thousands of classic songs remade throughout history....Example: Jimmy Hendrix remade a famous Bob Dylan song "all along the watch tower" ..Both songs are classics today and sound completely different.Hendrix remade it as a heavy rock song..Both versions are classics..The beetles remade several famous songs there way..Today they are classics...We can name thousands of songs that have been remade by other artists that have gone on to be classics..So, what is so wrong with Dalaras doing this? How is he insulting the original version or the country it came from??? I think Michael should think before he writes things that make no sense and dont hold up in an arguement....And he should stop bashing Dalaras  on this site.I take this personally as i know Dalaras and he is a freind of mine....I know what a good ,kindharted man Dalaras is....So, we dont need Michael guessing as to what Dalarases thoughts were or what his intentions are !!!!

Lynne, that's no offence against you but I think it should be clear that at the moment I have not the slightest reason to explain or justify ANYTHING concerning my preferences or opinions.

Don't you think it would be fair if you (Lynne, Christo) decided to comment and criticize first of all the behaviour of the two members who insulted and offended me heaviously and almost continuously? Only AFTERWARDS you are entitled to judge MY behaviour, opinions etc.

Moreover the things are quite simple: It is primarily Nikolas who after his return will have to decide what will happen. Until then I will restrict as far as possible my comments about the whole matter. But you can be sure that I will make them in the appropriate moment!

(Edited by Michael at 5:53 pm on Aug. 20, 2001)

What you write together here make me laugh and feel sorry for you at about the same time.

first you put:

How would Dalaras feel if he EVER visited this site and read HIS posts?! (It would be an EMBARRASSMENT for this club)!

Well Dalaras would talk about it with Michael and maybe even agree. Dalaras is an intelligent grown up man.

He reached the top by dealing, in a proper way, with compliments and Critisisms.

Taking advantageof critisism is better than feeling GOD because of a lot of compliments.

Some people think they knopw a lot about Dalaras and or Greek Music but what is their reference.

The more you know the more you realise how little you know in fact.

An other point you brought up is:

Michael maybe a valuable member of this club with great knowledge of Greek music and it's background, BUT he knows NOTHING about Dalaras!!!!

Not a very intelligent statement to be put because he knows about ONE song of Dalaras only your statement is allready FALSE.

Become aware that you cannot shout at others because they have different opinions.

That is the main thing in your behaviour on this site that is unacceptable

apostolakis stated in a recent message what Dalaras should have done:

"Dalaras would give Michael one minute of his time to hear such criticism and excuse himself like a "GENTLEMAN" (that he is) and end the conversation"

Why did you not act like Dalaras, you would be a gentleman and all these discussions would have been superfluous.

The question HOW MUCH I know about Greek Music is a nonsense question because there is no reference.

I have about 300 CD's of Greek Music including many lyrics and know a lot of background info.

On Dalaras I have a total of 53 CD's good ones and bad ones.

I know however people who have a lot more and know a lot more than I do but that is not a problem.

If they can help me forward in getting more information I am happy.

Comparisons of one artist versus the other have no sense either. If you like an artist that satisfies despite if others don't like that singer at all.

It is a free world and a free WEB-site

All right, that's enough. Before anything else, I would like to apologize to Nicholas for the comment I am about to make, but I just cannot take more crap (and I am sure that Nicholas will remove this topic, thereby erasing this message, anyway).

Chris, why don't you just do everybody a favour and just stop writing posts? Almost all of them are just so stupid (the posts, not necessesarely you) and full of religious fanatism that it scares me. I won't even try to comment on your private message to Michael our the different tries to defend your action afterwards. They speak for themselves.

Sorry, but I have to quit now before I write some really mean things. I am not going to answer to any reactions on this post nor am I going to contribute with any other posts.

God, how I hate stupid, unresonable people!

Tha protimousa to Messenger na meinei. Polloi den exoun kanei to e-mail tous gnwsto kai to Messenger einai enas tropos na epikoinwnisoume me alla members. Oso gia ton Michael, autos einai gnwstos. Oso gia mena, panta diaskedaza me grafika atoma...

This is the first time that I read this thread fully. I was so amazed about all the posts. But than I remember having difficulties myself with the point of view of Michael, in a thread about Kavafis.

Still, I stay with my opinion.

But people can you see all how difficult it is to NOT take things so personal or react to heavily? I should know because - even though born in Belgium - I have a 'jumpy' temper. Let's please respect each other, even if our opinions are the quite opposite. I'm trying too, every day again. Because I believe this is what peace is made of, respect, and IF you really cannot agree with some one elses way of thinking or living, please than don't search for contact with that person. Let him live in peace.

Micki

Geeske,

You are right here. Silence is gold.

I did it again, being in a hurry to say my opinion, I said something about a difference of opinions about Kavafi with Michael but it was with Dimitris than.

And my mother has told me so many times, think, my girl, before you speak.

Let's hope now, my 'afirimeni'ness doesn't put me into more bizar situations. :uhoh:

Micki

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead