celeste

millenium

5 posts in this topic

Well, I happened to watch the Millenium concert or the programme for TV in which Dalaras is with a little boy. There's a part in which Dalaras sings with an opera singer and I noticed that Dalaras, contrary to the other guy, puts a lot of effort in his throat. It is quite visible. Nighthawk's opinion is that it is due to lack of technique which seems quite correct to me. (Nighthawk had singing classes). I know one of the members , Antometrios I think ,spoke about the fact that he rises his neck when he goes "higher". Anyway, even with a certain lack of technique, I must say that after 30 years in the business, he didn't ruin his voice which is a clear indication that he was quite blessed in terms of voice quality.

:)

P.S: I also noticed something that is certainly totally irrelevant but I had to share it: There was something in his eyes that was quite familiar to me and I came to the conclusion that it's because his eyes are very similar to my father's eyes. No psychoanalytic interpretation, please. Nighthawk also agrees. :)

Where you do folks find these concerts??? :) I want to see them!

Celeste, I am slightly concerned, personally. Dalaras has an amazing voice even now, but I fear he perhaps cannot do what he once could with it. I finally heard the original recording of Ilie Mou Se Parakalo in which he sings the refrain. It is no easy task holding some of those notes out as loud and high as he sings them, but he manages. That was then, though, and in the live versions of the song I've heard, he lets the audience sing the refrain. I hope this is not because he can't, but I do wonder. He also sings Paraponemena Logia and Thelo Na Ta Po in a lower key, if I'm not mistaken, than the original recordings.

Of course! ... in a concert setting he needs to preserve his voice for later songs, and so it makes sense that he would take it easy on the very difficult ones so as to have a better over-all performance. :) I like that explanation more.

I think I myself would rather sing passionately for forty years than correctly forever. :)

(Oh!) ... and furthermore, when I feel concerned about this, I listen to the CD of the performance with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra. Wow. He can still SING! :)

Where you do folks find these concerts??? :) I want to see them!

Well, Antometrios, I would send you a copy but I don't have the necessary devices.

I agree with you: singing passionately is better than correctly. I just hope he'll manage to do it a long time. As far as the quality of his voice is concerned, I don't think his voice is less powerful now; at least from the older recordings I have, I'd say that it's even richer now but it's only an opinion of someone who doesn't have a clue of music and singing.

The one and only concert I attended amazed me. I found his voice better than in the recordings. I hope one day you'll have this experience and tell me how you felt about it. (presuming that you never saw him live).

:D

Ach, Celeste, he came to Boston with Marinella last summer, and my mother said we would go see him together. Then late one night we were in the car going home, and I asked her when was the concert, and she said, "Tonight." We hadn't the money to pay $150 per ticket! :) I'm going to Greece next summer, I think--and for the first time, too. I'm hoping I will be so fortunate as to catch him on tour somewhere :D

That's really bad luck, Antometrios! I would bite my hands if that happened to me! I'm planning to go to Greece too, in the summer BTW! Let's hope we can catch a concert somewhere! :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead