Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antometrios

Greek tunings?

9 posts in this topic

Our efforts to perform Greek music are constantly thwarted. This time the problem seems to be that the chords for some (at least Paraponemena Logia) are not accurate. We got them from kithara.vu. When compared to the tablature here, it was apparent that something was wrong because they weren't the same and kithara's didn't work. We are confused. For the record:

Haidari

Ilie Mou Se Parakalo

Mana Den Fytepsame

Mi Mou Thymoneis Matia Mou

Nytose Horis Feggari

O Palios Stratiotis

Ola Se Thymizoun

Paraponemena Logia

Proti Fora

Stin Alana

Taxidi Sta Kythira

Vrehei Sti Ftohogeitonia

... are the songs we are attempting. We wonder whether the chords of Kithara.vu are for bouzouki or something.... Since dalaras.com sadly does not have all the chords we need, does anyone know how we might still use the others?

None of us understands Greek.

Is there a common tuning in greece for guitar other than that of EBGDAE? I'd like English resources to help understand all this, if anyone knows of any. But if none exists, ach, we need to make some. It is unacceptable that Greek music be limited to Greek-speaking musicians. These songs are my life. :)

The tuning we use is the same.

The chords of kithara.vu are for the guitar and are exactly as you see them.

The real problem is that the chords at that site are written down by normal people and normal people make mistakes. :)

It's not an official work, so expect it to be full of mistakes.

I personally use that site only to find lyrics.

For more chords you could also check http://www.musicheaven.gr (It is the great site of Guitarist-a member of the Dalaras Community).

There are many songs of Dalaras there...

Note: possibly many chords in dalaras.com are not accurate too.

I suggest you play the songs from the CD when you try to play guitar to see if the chords fit.

Our efforts to perform Greek music are constantly thwarted. This time the problem seems to be that the chords for some (at least Paraponemena Logia) are not accurate. We got them from kithara.vu. When compared to the tablature here, it was apparent that something was wrong because they weren't the same and kithara's didn't work. We are confused. For the record:

Haidari

Ilie Mou Se Parakalo

Mana Den Fytepsame

Mi Mou Thymoneis Matia Mou

Nytose Horis Feggari

O Palios Stratiotis

Ola Se Thymizoun

Paraponemena Logia

Proti Fora

Stin Alana

Taxidi Sta Kythira

Vrehei Sti Ftohogeitonia

... are the songs we are attempting. We wonder whether the chords of Kithara.vu are for bouzouki or something.... Since dalaras.com sadly does not have all the chords we need, does anyone know how we might still use the others?

None of us understands Greek.

Is there a common tuning in greece for guitar other than that of EBGDAE? I'd like English resources to help understand all this, if anyone knows of any. But if none exists, ach, we need to make some. It is unacceptable that Greek music be limited to Greek-speaking musicians. These songs are my life. :(

Hi, I also play in a Greek band. As I have noticed, the chords at Kithara.vu are not the best for professional use.... I prefer intercepting from the original record.

However, In some cases there are more versions! For example there are more than 3 chord variations for "Nihtose horis fengari" .

Independently from the tuning, I promise you that D major is also D major in Greece :)

Please, do all have in mind that Greek music is NOT western music. Maybe you will all understand that the tunings CAN'T be the same with the European ones!!!!! Even in the most "European" tunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PS: even Dalaras does not sing the European way (this has been discussed a long time ago and doesn't need any discussing anymore, as many books about Eastern music have been published ever since!!!). I have just listened to his video "Ta tragoudia mou" and the way he sings is NOT western!!!!! Even if some songs are.....

Please, do all have in mind that Greek music is NOT western music. Maybe you will all understand that the tunings CAN'T be the same with the European ones!!!!! Even in the most "European" tunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PS: even Dalaras does not sing the European way (this has been discussed a long time ago and doesn't need any discussing anymore, as many books about Eastern music have been published ever since!!!). I have just listened to his video "Ta tragoudia mou" and the way he sings is NOT western!!!!! Even if some songs are.....

Really? Why can't the tunings be the same?

Of course I understand that there are some traditional microtone-scales that are used in much traditional music played on instruments such as the lira,outi,saz,nei etc. that can play those scales, but a bouzouki, for example can not play anything but "western" scales, if it is not custom made. But the tunings are surely the same for many, many songs.

Of course, there are similarities, but any musician here will tell you that the differences are more numerous and that Greek music cannot be listened to like any European music and most of all cannot be played the same way. The most obvious examples being dimotika and rebetika. I play the bouzouki, and the tunes are not the same. I played the "clarino" for some years, but It was impossible for me to play the dimotika tunes that I used to listen to from the Greek radio. Even some of the "easiest" Theodorakis songs are real puzzles or brainteasers for good bouzouki players.

And about Dalaras, he doesn't have a European way of singing. After all, apart from the European Community, Greece is NOT a European country, as most of us have noticed.... When I am in Greece, I am not in Europe!!!! I do not have the feeling that I am in Europe.....

Of course I understand that there are some traditional microtone-scales that are used in much traditional music played on instruments such as the lira,outi,saz,nei etc. that can play those scales, but a bouzouki, for example can not play anything but "western" scales, if it is not custom made. But the tunings are surely the same for many, many songs.

Do not forget either that a "normal" bouzouki (the bouzouki is not only a Greek instrument), does not always have separations for the notes, so it is just like the "outi" (the 'oud)....

Of course, there are similarities, but any musician here will tell you that the differences are more numerous and that Greek music cannot be listened to like any European music and most of all cannot be played the same way. The most obvious examples being dimotika and rebetika. I play the bouzouki, and the tunes are not the same. I played the "clarino" for some years, but It was impossible for me to play the dimotika tunes that I used to listen to from the Greek radio. Even some of the "easiest" Theodorakis songs are real puzzles or brainteasers for good bouzouki players.

And about Dalaras, he doesn't have a European way of singing. After all, apart from the European Community, Greece is NOT a European country, as most of us have noticed.... When I am in Greece, I am not in Europe!!!! I do not have the feeling that I am in Europe.....

Of course there are differences between different kinds of music, but the tunings are very much the same. I would actually go so far as to say that they are exactly the same. Note: Once again I am talking about the more Western-like, bouzouki based stuff from the 20th century and also much Theodorakis et al. The clarinet again is possible to play with micro-tones with good breath control, so that is not the same thing. What you say about the "easiest" Theodorakis songs being difficult for good bouzouki players is probably a problem that has to do with your definitions of "easy" and good.

Summary: The tunings , not style, not ornamentation or whatever else, are the same in much greek music and "Western" music. If a greek tune says A minor, it is the same as A minor in a "Western" tune.

Do not forget either that a "normal" bouzouki (the bouzouki is not only a Greek instrument), does not always have separations for the notes, so it is just like the "outi" (the 'oud)....

Once again, I question one of your definitions, this time "normal". In greek music and Greece as a whole, a bouzouki is the greek variant of bouzouki. Which has frets on the board, that is, separated notes. I am very well aware of that the instrument has it origins in other instruments, that actually also has separation of notes, but into maquam scales, not western scales. However, this has no place in th discussion since we are talking greek music here, and especially a little more modern greek music.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0