soc

This weeks favorite song

728 posts in this topic

Let's start something new. Since it 's so hard to identify all time favorites I suggest this. I am sure that everybody had that feeling where a song is always in your mind. It usually comes from nowhere and goes nowhere. We can call it either the week's favorite song, or the day's favorite song. So, let me start.

Today's favorite song (been there for the last three days):

Skoni (live from the Termites' concert)

Good topic...todays favorite is Dalaras and Christos Nikolopuolos playing "Kapia Kapou kapote"....I have been watching the all acoustic version of this song by Dalaras and nikolopoulos on the christmas video.It sounds incredible both of them are unplugged just a mic in front of them no one else playing.......It doesnt get any better than this.At least for today!!!

As I said in the other thread, my favourite since last saturday week has been O Metoikos, which keeps ringing in my ears in a weird mixture of the campfire-side version we sang when I was a kid, the grumbly French of Moustaki, and Dalaras' wonderful singing on the record.

Work on a translation is in progress and I'm also hunting for the French lyrics [sarantis, wouldn't it be fun to learn those? ;) }

How about this?

Has anyone seen the music vdieo clip from Hioits-Linda famous Latin/Greek song

Perasmenes Mou Agapes  

with Dalaras + Di Meola together?

If not I strongly recommend it.  This one is pure artistical & musical expression.  No special effects, graphics or movie clips in the background. Just two virtuosos rehearsing a song down for recording onto a studio tape.

For those who like an acoustic duet will surely love this one.

This is what the song sounded like before it went into production with the rest of the orchestra.

It is

Here, Dalaras plays rhythm Guitar and sings main melody while Di Meola is mesmorized and demonstrates his famous emotion by movments of the face from side to side as he is jamming out his licks, runs and solos up and down the fretboard from his Ovation Guitar as he is creating his taximi.  

Good improvisation by the way and different from the finished recording on the Latin cd.  If you love a Guitar solo you will like this one, for it shows close-ups of Di Meola playing his taxim and chords.

Btw,

The video clip was released back in '88 or '87

(Edited by Christo at 5:41 pm on Aug. 1, 2001)

Chris Apostolakis,yes that is a great song,"sto aman sto giati"..Dont forget "Aspro Peristeri"...Every time i hear that song i think about you Chris.One day i came home and found on my answering machine ,Dalaras playing Aspro Peristeri during a concert,i thought that you had left that song on my machine.Turns out that it was my Promoter freind holding his cell phone up during a live concert in New York.He let the whole song play before he hung up the phone...So, i was listening to the concert live over the cell phone...Chris that song always reminds me of you...

To Christo: I know the video clip your talking about with Dalaras and Al Di meola in concert playing Perazmenes mou agapes..That is a good song.Im very impressed that you recognized the Ovation guitar that Al Di Meola was playing.It is for the record an Ovation Custom Legend ,model 1769..Very nice expensive guitar ..Now can anyone recognize what guitar Dalaras is playing during that song?? by the way Di miola is using a "Rolland midi" while playing that song and it makes the guitar sound like a flute.Its not one of my favorite sounds.I wish he would have played it normally streight thru the guitar without the midi effects..If you dont know what im talking about listen to the Concert for Cyprus video and watch when Demiola is on stage with Dalaras...while he is soloing his guitar sounds like a flute..yuk!!!

I'm just listening to the Music Box, and todays favorite is Demotico Blues!  Tomorrow will be something else.

Sarantis, have absolutely no idea about the guitars, I haven't got a clue!

Geeske, unfortunately I don't think they are many french lyrics to be found. I hope other members or guests will have more information on the subject. The only thing I know is the small book on rebetika by Jacques Lacarriθre and Michel Volkovitch "La Grθce de l'ombre" (1999, Ch. Pirot, ιditeur, ISBN 2-86808-135) in which they have translated about 50 rebetika each - sometimes the same song - which makes it particularly interesting. Angιlique Ionatos might have translated a few songs too but I must admit I don't know her repertoire so well.

I forgot ! My favorite song at the moment is 'toutos o topos' (Ta kata Markon). Unfortunately I don't know anything about guitar either except that I prefer the 'non electric ones' if that means anything !!

Annemarie, I found 'le meteque' in my old, old 'chansonnier' that we used to pass around the campfire - barely legible, but I posted off the lyrics to Nikolas this morning. Mieux que rien!

Sarantis, all I know about guitar is that it is the most wonderful musical instrument created by man (except possibly the lute), and that I gave up in despair on learning to play one! And like most of us here, apparently, I like them acoustic and undistorted.

O metoikos still favourite here. Working hard on understanding the words... it's easier with the French crib, even though it is not a litteral translation.

My two other favourites on that record are "O thanatos tou poiti" (for the melody and for that unbelievable flamenco thrill), and "M'ekopsan me chorisan sta dyo" (plain genius - that man Kougioumtsis again!!).

Sarantis

Actually, the video clip I was referring too is not the one from the Meadowlands Concert. I know which on you mean and yes I'll agree with you on this in that DiMeola had added a Midi Guitar Interface Pickup and chose some wind sounds similar to a flute and other type of harp sound.

Needless to say, the sound voice for that particular style was totally Inappropriate!

Now the videoclip I was referring to was just

Dimeola and Dalaras playing in recording studio.

Just them!   No other Musicians

AND No other Instrumentation.

I believe it is the same Guitar Dimeola used here that he later enhanced with the Roland Midi face Pickup.   Dalaras was playing his famous Ovation Guitar (light borwn color) the one he used from the 'Orfeas Concert' and from the 'Olympic Stadium Concert' video.

Christo ,i have never seen that video clip you are speaking about.I have over 40 vidoes of Dalaras including rare footage(thanks to Chris Apostolakis)and small video clips but i do not have that one...Chris Apostolakis!!! help!

Augoust 1st 2001: Krimmena Kleidia. When you realize how hard this song is (to sing) have a look at the instrument players. The man is playing outi and tzoura (I think). When the outi started, while I was listening this morning, I almost crashed the car. And I must have heard this song 100 times so far

Christo, i had gone to see Al De Miola in concert here in Atlanta a few years ago..It was in a small venue about 600 people.Anyway,i arrived early and parked in the back of the theatre and as i get out of my car ,there is Al De miola unloading equipment with his band..Well, i aproached him and we spoke a for a quick moment.He was nice but when i mentioned his freind Dalaras he really lit up and had the nicest things to say about him.He even spoke in Greek to me.He knows a few sentences,he is not really fluint in greek.But anyway,he played the concert that night and he kept turning on that rolland midi machine and it really did sound aweful.I know that he uses very expensive  guitars that cost several thousand dollars.To then make them sound like a 10 dollar flute really does not do justice to the music.I wish that he would realize how beautiful a guitar naturally sounds without the effects.....DEmiola is a great guitaist but he has to stop with the cheap sounding effects!!

Sarantiis, my name is NOT George Dalaras! LOL (If it was...I would have provided you with everything that you needed and named you as my beneficiary; leaving you with EVERYTHING)!

Sarantiis, as you know, I have spent many years building on my video collection; which you also have. (I found it very difficult to find these concerts/holiday specials)! To try and find Dalaras' "music/video" clips would be IMPOSSIBLE!

I have not only written but e-mailed Dalaras...asking him to release a collection of his "music/video" clips to his fans in North America. (If he does release them, it will probably be in the form of a DVD...which might be released later this year)!

If nothing happens at that time, I will ask Dalaras personally; when he does his next North Americian Tour, to release them.

Sarantiis, I may have a FEW "music/video" clips in my collection; that I could send you...if I find them first!

I'm trying hard (and unsuccessfully) to ignore the postings about utterly wonderful videos with magical guitars in them - makes me want to *SCREAM* and tear out my hair!!!

On a saner note, I would like to agree wholeheartedly with Socrates [that is fast turning into a habit :rolleyes: ] about Krymmena Kleidia.

This was the first song on the new album that so caught my fancy that I could not resist having a go at understanding the lyrics. I'm not sure how successfully ;)  but anyway I can't hear it without dropping everything to just listen.

August 2nd 2001: Girizo tis plates mou sto mellon (Turning my back to the future) form the Tsaknis concert. Do yourself a favor. Isolate the sound of Dalaras' voice in this song. He is giving everything he has (the composer of this song said in an interview that this version of the song was just the best it could ever be)

(curse) (grind teeth) (stamp foot)

I've never heard that song!!!

Still have my teeth sunk firmly in O Metoikos.

Consoling myself with this thought: not knowing Greek makes it last longer!

Hey Soc

I agree with you on this wholeheartedly.

Strange how I mentioned this before in another thread that whatever and whenever Dalaras decides to sing another aritists and/or composers work, it comes out original, genuine, and authentic just the way it was intented to be produced.

And heres an after thought, Just to give you a new  light as to how much the friendship and artistical ideas from  Dalaras and Brothers Katshimas have both shared so much together over the years.

a) We all know that Panos sometimes writes songs foo Dalaras to sing and that Panos with occasionally Haris will participate in the back up vocals.

B) Also, on other live recording productions, Dalaras never seems to overlook in singing one of Katsmihas songs that have been sung only by them.

This is becoming obligatory almost the norm now, but thats quite alright by me because I like and prefer this new trend.

for example, in the Lve Recording from Iera Odos,

Dalaras sings the song 'Tou Erota' by Katsimihas which wsa only sung by then and no one else on their cd titled ' Ths Agapis Maheira'.

Later on in that same cd, he sings with Pix Lax another number by Katsimihas  titled 'Anoites Agapes'.

c) Lastly, from Tsaknis cd 'Pezondas Me Dio Orhistres', Dalaras chooses to sing another famous hit by Katsimihas 'Gyrizon Tis Platas Sto Mellon' from the album 'Alitis Keros'

A more coincidence is that Dalaras didn't sing the colloboration song Noemvris '91 from that cd.  Usually ,he does this when he participates with another artist in a live recording.  I don't know why the norm was different this time around.

okay now that I've enlighted you, it's time to go out and be entertained by these songs.

(Edited by Christo at 11:14 am on Aug. 3, 2001)

Christo,

if you listen to the cd until the end (after the 1oth song is over) you will see that he sang Noemvris 91 and the re is a small part of it. The whole version of the song was not included in the cd but I think that was the producer's call