soc

This weeks favorite song

728 posts in this topic

Third of august (a new day just 20 minutes old here)

Ever tried playing Me telioses in the middle of a whacking great thunderstorm?

I yi olo gyrizi...

August 3rd, still here (this country is really behind).

Today: An itan astra ta filia sou.

I have flashbacks. I remember I wore out a walkman playing Sergiani ston Kosmo when I bought it. Man, that was probably 1984 (when I bought the LP I mean)

Saranti

That was smart of you to park your vehicle in the back of the theartre.  From your posting it sounds as if you got there early and was catching Dimeola. Good for you in being at the right place and at the right time.

Now, the thing I don't understand. DiMeola is a superb Guitarist as you well know and is a Recording Artist by trade.  So why does a superstar like DiMeola need to unload equipment with his group?

Surely, there are other people that are hired in the production tour that will do all of the loading and setting up and so forth.,

This I figure would be beneath hinm and wouldn't have to worry about such trifle matters.  

Just as Dalaras does not have to carry ampliifers,  speakers and so forth.  I say this because I've never seen him have to carry anything when I was with him backstage, and again not along have to worry about these trivial things. Others are hired to do this for him.

The Greek Wedding band I play in are not at all  famous therefore, we have to handle and carry all of the labor ourselves which is expected.

It comes with the territory of wanting to play in public and be in the spotlight.

Certainly not the audience will do this for us or our groupies since of course we have none.

Furthermore, in a Greek Wedding band, we have to cater to what the people want to hear and dance too.

If we were on higher caliber say the status of being a 'Firma', then we could probably play what ever we choose to record and so forth. Again, I'll say probably and heres why.

Aafter 33 years Dalaras has been performing, there appears to be some controversy as to what the fans expect to hear from him.

From previous posts, I don't remember who stated it either Anna or Geeske, when he was just in Europe, Dalaras sang his new material from the new cd and the fans didn't recognize any of these songs. Well grant it, they are all knew and it takes time for the people to absorb the new sound.  But in the meantime, all they wanted were his classic hits.

So the question now becomes:

Does an Artist have to stick only in his/her realm and not deviate from that?

If this is the case the artist can never become any better.

And how long can one artist produce the same repoitore without it not becoming old to the public???

Soc - I heard that :)  :)

Christo, you've put your finger on a sore spot! All artists who have made a succes in one particular kind of music, find it hard to keep diversity. Sticking to what's known is the easy way, fans demand it - but then tire of it. Renewal is necessary, but no two people agree on how far from the home-ground an artist may go to seek it.

As for Dalaras, I've said before, what astonishes me most about him is that very diversity. He can do so many different kinds of music, so perfectly well: that is very unique.

What Dalaras seems to do on foreign tours, is give a first half of the concert with new material, and a second half with old favourites.

During the first half, the audience listens with mixed feelings (surprise, suspicion, confusion, delight, etc.) - during the second they start to sing and dance.

Then, hopefully, next time he comes, some songs will have moved from the first part into the second (have become accepted). I've not experienced this myself yet but Anna wrote something of the kind about the Bregovic songs.

Speaking of Bregovic, my favourite song today: Sou axise mia kalyteri angalia (see also the translation forum!)

True so true

Geeske

Anna's comment makes complete sense and I must admit I do agree with her which is why she wrote her posting and why I also wrote mine relating to hers.

I remember seeing the "justice for Cypus'  Live in the states and the first part of the program were songs dedicated to Cyprus.  And it felt strange being I didn't recognize any of these number especially after listening to his best tapes all the way to Chicago.

It wasn't until after the 2nd part of the program, Dalaras played his standards and we all began to sing along to them.  

Later on I bought the 'Es Gin Analian Kypros' cd and played all those tracks over and over again until I got use to them as favorite hits.

NOW, what do you mean by "putting my finger in a Sore Spot"??

Well, the sore spot I meant is that place were something often goes wrong for an artist, the hard choice between doing something new (which might make a new succes, but might also get dismissed as "not right for him") and doing something familiar (which might prolong an old succes but might also get dismissed as "more of the same").

What makes it really sore :) is that _any_ choice the artist makes will get critisized for both these opposite reasons.

You know at concert in Den Haag it was really weird for me to be listening to all the new songs in total rapture, with (most of) the rest of the audience looking at best puzzled, but mostly quite annoyed! They had come for Greek folk music, and here was this #### good rock band taking it away as if to make the roof fly off the building... WOW!

My favourite today is 'O ouranos fevgei varys'.

Possibly because of the enormous black clouds that were chasing through the sky as I bicycled over this morning.

The poem deserves to be understood so I also posted it on the translation forum.

Christo,hello i have been out of town for a few days but i have returned.I wanted to answer one of your postings.Well, Al DiMiola was definately unloading some equipment when i arrived.It was not large speakers ar amps or anything like that as they use the theatres sound system.He was however busy unloading effects pedals,small equipment,etc...I dont find it out of the ordinary for someone like Al Di Miola to carry things off the tour bus.He only played to a crowd of 600 people that evening and the whole band was unloading there own equipment,including Al....Now ,i have been involved with several concerts and i see what goes on before a concert or soundcheck and unless it is a large star(Dalaras,Parios,etc.)usually the band and sometimes mainartists are setting up there own equipment....I know in the case of Dalaras he has a master blueprint of the layout of the stage,specific equipment,and location of the equipment.The sound and lighting engineneers arrive  a day or hours earlier to set everything up and have it ready.Then the musicians arrive a few hours before the show and soundcheck and then Dalaras arrives after the band has already warmed up..Of cource Dalaras is a perfectionist and may keep the band and engineers working until he feels everything is perfect.In all the concerts i have seen or done no one demands near perfection like Dalaras before a show..Good enough is not in his vocabulary.He works extremely hard before a show to make sure all is right for the fans..

Today, I might say my favourite is "Ta prota logia" Live version with Israel Philharmonics (which was my alarm clock - played by the Acer laptop every morning at 6:00 last time I was in Greece ;))

My favourite today is: Trelos yia sena!

It's done the trick again: caught my visitors' attention so that they listened and said: "hey, is that greek??? it's not so bad! it's quite good! hey, it didn't know they had that in Greece..."

Besides I love that song for its own sake.

Are you reading our minds or something? I came to post this as my favorite song and I saw your post. Yesterday it was Nikolas' mind, then Sarantis' quiz, today my mind. You are good!!!

*BLUSH*

It's not the honey. Can't get Greek honey here - more's the pity.

It's Dalaras magic. If this goes on I shall end up superstitious after all - me, the original die-hard sceptic! Oh well...

Now for something completely different:

my favourite for today is "Sto pa kai sto xanaleo". This song knocked me right over the very first time I heard it.

It's on 'the ultimate collection' so I'm going to type out the translation and I'll post it later. Come and help?

simera xipnisa me to ''san ragisei to potiri'',den imoun kai stis kales mou kai to sigotragoudousa oli mera.

A very special listening experience.

All these years I've had to enjoy Dalaras' song in installments: first the music, then, later, the meaning of the lyrics. Later is sometimes much later, or even 'not yet'.

Then yesterday I received a small package full of great songs. I didn't know the songs (most of them) but I knew they were great because I knew who sent them to me.

I Anesi kai i Idoni was first I heard. Astonishment - pure wonder - speechlessness... I can't really describe the feeling but part of it was something like "I thought I knew this man and his voice - but I didn't - in fact I know nothing whatsoever about anything..."

Then Ellopia. Reduced me (talkative me) to speechlessness.

Then Anatoli. At this point I had to stop the CD for a while. Listening so intensely can be exhausting.

The most magical moment of all was yet to come. Late that night - in fact it was past midnight, everyone had gone to bed, I was alone at last, and a big thunderstorm was raging outside, thunder and lightning trapped in the narrow marshland between two arms of the Rhine, where I live...

I played Doste mou mia Tautotika for the first time. But, thanks to Soc, I had already read the lyrics with more than a little attention - and a translation. So that, for ONCE, I could actually UNDERSTAND the words as Dalaras sang them. Understand at first hearing. Not translate, guess, or read a crib: understand. And such words! Such a song... In such a voice...

So, they say there was a bit of salt water in the rain last night.

iperoxi selida sigxaritiria! den exo xanadei kaliteri selida gia auti tin apsogi iparxi! ola ta tragoudia tou einai iperoxa alla meta diskolias xehorizo ti " fantasia" kai to " na oneireuome "

panta kala na einai kai na sinexizei na mas siginei me tin teleia foni tou:-)

Kai to vradi tha vazo fotia sta vareliaka tha psaxno skies na krifto kai skotadia den mas piran  mazi tous pote  ta karavia

Favourite of this week (and previous weeks) is:

I'm mad about you (with Sting) and Isai ena louloudi. Don't ask me why, I just keep repeating it all the time.

geia sas,

Micki