Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Αγρύπνια

7 posts in this topic

I was listening to the live recording of this and thought I'd give you the translation. Though it's not a Dalaras song. Not even a song I'd put on the wish list for him to sing. But a good song.

Besides, today is the seventeenth of july and I don't want to let it pass without a translation of some kind.

Αγρύπνια | | | Insomnia

Στίχοι: Θανάσης Παπακωνσταντίνου | | | Lyrics: Thanassis Papakonstantinou

Μουσική: Θανάσης Παπακωνσταντίνου | | | Music: Thanassis Papakonstantinou

Αγρύπνια, αψηλάφητο ζώο! | | | Insomnia, intangible beast!

Δίχως μια στάλα στοργή, | | | Without a drop of tenderness

σ' όσους διψάν για χίμαιρες, γέρνεις | | | To all who thirst for chimeras, you offer

την κούπα σου που 'ναι πάντα αδειανή. | | | your cup, which always is empty.

Κι ενώ περνά η νύχτα κατάλευκη, | | | And while the night passes, white awake,

βροχερή σαν Κυριακή, | | | as rainy as Sunday

ξέρω γιατί, στ' αυτί που σπαράζει, | | | I know why, in the quivering ear,

χιμάς και γλείφεις σαν το σκυλί. | | | You pounce like a dog and lick like one.

Δεν αγαπάς! Αφήνεις τους ψύλλους σου, | | | You dont love! You leave your fleas,

τους ήχους που φτάνουν από μακριά, | | | the sounds that come from far away,

αγρύπνια, κακόφωνο όργανο, | | | insomnia, wrongly tuned instrument,

που αλέθεις των εκλεκτών το "ωσαννά". | | | grinding out the hosanna of the Chosen.

Αγρύπνια, της κόλασης κήτος, | | | Insomnia, you beast from hell,

είναι το φιλί σου φωτιά. | | | your kiss is fire

Αφήνει μια γεύση από σίδερο, | | | It leaves a taste of iron

που 'χουν ξηλώσει από καράβια παλιά. | | | taken from old ships torn apart.

Translator's joke:

The Greek "νύχτα κατάλευκη" is "a very white night", but I put "night white awake" instead, for the French "nuit blanche", which means "white night" word for word but "night in which you do not sleep" in reality.

Οι στίχοι στηρίχτηκαν στο ποίημα Insomnie του Tristan Corbière (Θ.Π.)

Tristan Corbière, Γάλλος ποιητής της ίδιας γενιάς του Rimbaud (1854-1891) αλλά που πέθανε ακόμα πιο νέος: γεννήθηκε στο Morlaix (Bretagne) το 1845 και πέθανε στα 30 του, το 1875.

Δεν είναι γνωστό στην Γαλλία, δεν το μάθαμε στο σχολείο, αλλά το βρήκα παιδί σ' ένα μικρό βιβλίο που είχα (και έχω ήδη), συλλογή ποιημάτων για την θάλασσα (ίδιο πού πρωτογνώρισα το Nazim Hikmet). Xρόνια αργότερα αγόρασα το μοναδικό βιβλίο του, Les amours jaunes (οι κίτρινες αγάπες) - μεταχειρισμένο και πολύ ταλαιπωρημένο... και από 'και αντιγράφω τώρα το γαλλικό ποίημα που έμπνευσε τον Θανάση Παπακονσταντίνου.

T.P. says about this song: «The lyrics are based on the poem "Insomnie" by Tristan Corbi`ere.»

Tristan Corbi`ere, French poet of the generation of Rimbaud (1854-1891) but who died even younger: born in Morlaix (Brittany) in 1845 and died at thirty in 1875.

He's not well-known in France, we didn't study him in school, but when I was a kid I found him in a little book I had (still have), and anthology of poems about the sea (the same where I first met Nazim Hikmet). Years later I bought a battered second-hand copy of his only book, "Les amours jaunes" (Yellow loves - it sounds all wrong in English, sorry!). From this I will copy for you the French poem that inspired Thanassis Papakonstantinou.

ο τελευταίος στίχος του Corbi`ere μ' αρέσει

«έλα αγρύπνια, να κοιμηθούμε λίγο αγκαλιά»

.........we didn't study him in school.....

Not really surprising given Corbiere's contempt for such niceties as spelling and syntax :razz:

I discovered him through Verlaine (who was my favourite poet for a great many years).

Obviously, modern Greek poets and lyricists know how to pick authentic poets

Congratulations to Th. Papakonstantinos whom I have never heard yet :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0