Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panosb

Ερωτόκριτος

11 posts in this topic

Pano,

Νομίζω πως υπάρχει και στο site αυτό ένα κομμάτι του έργου!!! Στο -ήχοι και video-. μέσα στα τραγούδια....

νομίζω........ :music:B)

Euxaristw kx2th...alla epeidh mpainw mesw twn PC ths biblio8hkhs den mporw na ta katebasw..oute na t'akousw B)

An kamia fora paw se net-kafe 8a psaxw na ta brw :music:

A friend of mine gave me a CD with Cretan music (Krhtikoi Xoroi klp). The CD was an offer of the newspaper To Bhma.

The last track of the CD contains a part from Erwtokritos:

Λέγει της ο Pωτόκριτος· "Ήκουσες τα μαντάτα,

που ο Kύρης σου μ' εξόρισε σ' τση ξενιτιάς τη στράτα;

K' εφάνη του κ' εσφάγηκεν ο-γι' αφορμή εδική μου, 1355

σαν ήμαθε την προξενιάν, που'κουσε του Γονή μου.

K' έτοιας λογής εμάνισε, τόσο βαρύ του φάνη,

κι ο Kύρης μου απ' την πρίκαν του λογιάζω ν' αποθάνει.

Tέσσερεις μέρες μοναχάς μου'δωκε ν' ανιμένω,

κι απόκει να ξενιτευτώ, πολλά μακρά να πηαίνω. 1360

Kαι πώς να σ' αποχωριστώ, και πώς να σου μακρύνω,

και πώς να ζήσω δίχως σου στο χωρισμόν εκείνο;

Eσίμωσε το τέλος μου, μάθεις το θες, Kερά μου,

στα ξένα πως μ' εθάψασι, κ' εκεί'ν' τα κόκκαλά μου.

Kατέχω το κι ο Kύρης σου γλήγορα σε παντρεύγει, 1365

Pηγόπουλο, Aφεντόπουλο, σαν είσαι συ, γυρεύγει.

Kι ουδέ μπορείς ν' αντισταθείς, σα θέλουν οι Γονείς σου

νικούν την-ε τη γνώμη σου, κι αλλάσσει η όρεξή σου.

204"Mιά χάρη, Aφέντρα, σου ζητώ, κ' εκείνη θέλω μόνο,

και μετά κείνη ολόχαρος τη ζήση μου τελειώνω. 1370

Tην ώρα που αρραβωνιαστείς, να βαραναστενάξεις,

κι όντε σα νύφη στολιστείς, σαν παντρεμένη αλλάξεις,

ν' αναδακρυώσεις και να πεις· "Pωτόκριτε καημένε,

τά σου'ταξα λησμόνησα, τό'θελες πλιό δεν έναι."

I think there is a slight difference between the two versions (written and performed) , plus the song goes on with different verses (which I didn't manage yet to find :) ).

So, if you have the CD enjoy it. If not, enjoy the text :):)

Thanks, Pano, for bringing back to our attention this superb work which I have seriously neglected lately. :)

Who is singing on the CD you mention ?

The version I like most particularly is the 1976 recording with Nikos Xylouris and Tania Tsanaklidou.

The text you give us above bears the title : Τα θλιβερά μαντάτα on the CD I have (track 4 - Minos Emi 1994).

Sung in Xylouris' unforgettable way, it starts with the two first verses of your text (1353-1354*), jumps to 1359*, misses 1363-1364* and goes on, almost identical, to verse 1398*.

(It has more verses than your version.)

The short piece given to us by Nikolas in the section ixoi kai video starts with Lydia Konordiou reciting verses 1267 to 1275*.

Then Dalaras sings a few verses (1369-1374*) taken from the above θλιβερά μαντάτα which don't follow the text exactly.

Then comes L.K. again, this time singing her verses which appear to me to be taken from the part called Το παράπονο της Αρετούλας (track 5 on my CD) verses 1399-1458* but which I can't place exactly.

The same goes for the last few verses Dalaras and Lydia Konordiou sing together. :)

* all these verses are taken from part III, one of the most romantic part of the poem.

See David Holton's excellent introduction to this famous work of Cretan literature.

David Holton

Erotokritos

(Studies in Modern Greek)

1991 Bristol Classical Press U.K.

ISBN 1-85399-123-6

I'll check and tell you who sings. I just burned the CD - finally! :):)

Yesterday I went to a net cafe and I listened to Dalaras' performance: Magnificent! I don't know why it isn't included in any of his records? :)

And as you say, they change the sequence of the verses for the song's sake.

About the text: I bought it last summer from Greece (the Greek version) but because its language will be very difficult (and strange) for non-Greeks I do recommend David Holton's approach to that work.

For more details about the performance I have...tomorrow.

Thank you for notifying me about Xulourhs prformance. I'll keep it in my mind :)

About the text: I bought it last summer from Greece (the Greek version) but because its language will be very difficult (and strange) for non-Greeks I do recommend David Holton's approach to that work.

Holton's little book has only very few of the verses unfortunately.

He himself recommends to use the "excellent editions of Erotokritos by Stylianos Alexiou" next to his book .

I don't.....I couldn't....

At first I used the abstracts found on kithara.vu.

I came upon the 2 full text versions on the net last year but ..... the idea of trying to find my way through some 10000 verses seemed too daunting.....so I just kept the links .....

This is where Holton's critical study came very handy some time later, to help me concentrate on the most "interesting" and easy parts meaning the romantic themes.

:) Extremely rewarding !

the idea of trying to find my way through some 10000 verses seemed too daunting.....

Dear Annemarie, forgive my asking but why was it "daunting"?

Was it because of the size (10000 is discouraging indeed) or because of the language?

I haven't forgotten to write down the performer's name. But I wrote it in such a bad hand writing that I'm not able to read it!!!!!!! :blink:

His name is Nikos Karabhtrahs or Karabhrakhs (probably the former).

I'll check again and tel you....

Dear Annemarie, forgive my asking but why was it "daunting"?

Both !!!!!

The language being the main stumbling block obviously : reading Modern Greek is difficult enough for me, so you can easily imagine how daunted one can feel when confronted for the first time with a Cretan literature work of the Renaissance period !!!!!

My "timidity" didn't last very long, let me reassure you !

While I agree that it's rather conceited and naive to make such an attempt.. I have decided that it doesn't really matter since I like doing it. :(

However that may be, the exercise offers an excellent opportunity to better appreciate this romantic poem even on a superficial level.

A question about the music :

Do we know when the poem was first put to music and who did it ?

haven't forgotten to write down the performer's name. But I wrote it in such a bad hand writing that I'm not able to read it!!!!!!!  

Doctor's handwriting ? :music:

You're right about my...handwriting :(

About the music: Ο Ερωτόκριτος τραγουδήθηκε σε παραδοσιακή μελωδία που δεν ξέρουμε από πού ακριβώς προέρχεται. Πιθανόν, σύμφωνα με την άποψη κάποιων μελετητών, το αρχικό της θέμα να ήταν έντεχνο και όχι λαϊκό (όχι, δηλαδή, «παραδοσιακό»), πιθανόν όμως και να βασίζεται σε παλιές κοντυλιές.

( http://www.cretan-music.gr/erotokritio.htm#_ftnref1

- section V)

The tunes, as stated in the article, are very well known and commonly used in the traditional songs. Personally, the main tune reminds me of another song...but I'm unable to concentrate right now.

The second part of the song has a very well-known, different, tune which is purely traditional (παραδοσιακό). It is not "entexno" nor "laiko".

NB: In my opinion there is a difference between Laiko and Paradosiako (even if the former is originating from the latter).

I'll try to identify the differences, similarities and - the mots important - I'll try to find the verse of the second part of the song, because I've been searching in the text and still haven't reached my target.

For more...tomorrow.

Good night.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0