navas

Dalaras' unfairly judged songs

30 posts in this topic

G.Dalaras has song many songs, most of which turned out to have great success.Some of them are also excellent songs but did not have the recodnition they deserved.This is reasonable since it's not possible for all the songs to have the same success.

Which songs we (Dalaras' friends) think ought to have better luck and are in a way unfairly judged?

Here is a sample of such songs -in my opinion of course.

MHN AKOUS-Oi Maides oi ilioi mou

STO KAPHLEIO-Natane to 21

ENAS APONOS AERAS-Sergiani ston kosmo

PANE NA PEIS-O Metoikos

MHN GYREVEIS OMORFIES-Trelloi kai Aggeloi

KAI POU DEN PHGA-Apona matia

EIXA ENA ONOMA-Min milas...kindinevei i Ellas

THELO NA FYGO S'EPARXIA-Methismena tragoudia

SKORPISANE OI FILOI MOU-Oi Maides oi ilioi mou

ARKOUDES-Amartoli Maria(from Termites' cd)

*Let's hope that George will eventually organize some performances consisted of his songs that are not usually included in his programme.

Dear Navas I think that you are right.The fact is that many songs of Dalaras songs have been judged unfairly.I'd like to add some songs in your list such as:

1>Ah ti adiko(Sta psila ta parathyria)

2>Ta kata Matthaion pathi(Treloi kai aggeloi)

3>Ego den eimai ypourgos(Methysmena tragoudia)

4>Eki pou smigei dysi kai anatoli(Vyzantinos Esperinos)

5>Giovan Tsaous(50 YEARS REBETIKO)

Navas and Stolis,

I'll agree about all the songs songs you've noted down!

Personally, I like very much: "Εκεί που σμίγει η Δύση κι η Ανατολή" and an important reason except for the lyrics and the interpretation of Dalaras' is the music from Apostolos Kaldaras! I love the music he has written for "Βυζαντινός Εσπερινός"!

But let me mention some more recent songs from the newest cd: "Η άσφαλτος που τρέχει" that I think haven't been appreciated the way they should. At least, they don't put them on the radio as often as others and a couple of them, I haven't heard them at all!

So, let's bring them on the surface!

They are:

1."H kathodos tou enos" / "Η κάθοδος του ενός"

2."Allo tha pei aisthanomai" / "’λλο θα πει αισθάνομαι"

3."Oso pernaei o kairos" / "Οσο περνάει ο καιρός"

4."H allh mou zwh" / "Η άλλη μου ζωή"

All of them are songs with a deep meaning, don't you agree?

More unknown songs:

O horos ton kykladon (ο χορός των κυκλάδων)

and all songs from Ta Kata Markon

"ta kata mathaion pathi" is indeed a great song

Also Hlioskopio has great songs such as "Autos pou tha fanerwthei "

Yes, I agree, there are some really beautiful valuable songs which never got famous.

But, to be honest, I have problems to understand your problems!

If I want to hear a special song of Dalaras, I put on the cd-player and listen to it. There's no one who has to tell me which one I should choose, it's my own choice.

I don't need advertising in the radio ( although I would like if they do here in Germany!!)

Some songs, for sure, are more popular.

But is this the reason to listen to them?

Who keeps you from listening to your favorites?

Ok. navas asked for performances with songs which are usually not in the programme.

I'm sure, if you ask Dalaras, he would do immediately!

But maybe here we get the problem.

When and where is it possible to do such a concert?

While European or American tour? At least after one hour the spectators would shout for the old wellknown songs!! The same on tour in Greece! Don't forget most of the visitors wait for years to see Dalaras, maybe only once in their life. And of course they are longing for the old one's to join in and sing together with Dalaras.

BTW: Dalaras already started to perform 'special' evenings! The extraordinairy Tsitsanis performance or at the last concert in Frankfurt, Alte Oper, in the 1st part singing songs with the lyrics of Kavafis, he never sung them before!

So, not hopeless, one day the evening with the unusual songs will come, I'm sure!

I also love :

1) Esi tha metaniwseis

2) Gia tin aponia sou

3) Einai arga

It's a pity that these songs have been judged unfairly!!

Oooooh... hidden treasures!

For your beggarly barbarian, this topic is one surprise after the other.

For example, I had no idea that ειχα ενα ονομα was not a great success - it's one of my favorites on the 'μη μιλας' cd, I like it even better than the title track.

In the same line, I was very much surprised when I saw which 16 tracks they put on "the running roads", I mean the international release of Η ασφαλτος που τρεχει: some of my favorites were there, but not με της καρδιας τον χτυπο, nor νυχτεριδα. How could they??

The other part of the surprise is of course all the songs I don't know!!! Most of these, that is. Go on, folk, go on - my ears are wiiiiiiide open.

Holy smoke

Man your not kidding

:D

If I could count how many songs I like of Dalaras from each cd and wish I could have heard him sing those on a live performance or video.

well that would be the icing on the cake.

And the list would be a mile long much too big for this post.

Sometimes in the past I have got lucky and I heard him sing

'To Proto Peristeri'

and

'Anemoloyios'.

Not too often you hear those songs in his concerts.

BTW those I heard live from the 'Justice for Cyprus' concerts

in case you were all wondering where

There are so many songs I like and yet you cannot listen them on the radio. Right now I can only add in the list the followings:  To mellon, Nyxterino II, Antzenta, the songs for Cyprus, Ti na ta kaneis ta ftera, To dikio mou pou na to brw, Ena tragoudi gia tin Eleni F., Shai, Avre tu puerta cerrada, Ta dyo feggaria, Thelw na ta pw, Ax ti adiko, Etsi ki alliws se perimenw, Dwste mou mia taftotita, Oi kolasmenoi and many more...

And also I would like to say that I rarely hear the rembetika songs. I know they were sussesfull when they were realised, but it seems that people on the radio stations have forgotten them... What a pity...

SPQR

Maybe you don't hear some of them on the radio but most of the ones you mention are played on the radio and also in Dalaras concerts.

Nyxterino II in Iera Odos. Shai and Avre tu puerta cerrada in most of the concerts with big orchestras, Thelo na ta po in Orfeas, Etsi ki allios se perimeno very frequently on the radio, Ena tragoudi gia tin Eleni F. in Iera Odos.

20 yers ago (in RADAR), K.Tripolitis and M.Theodorakis were writing a beautiful -unfairly judged-song "ΛΕΓΕ".The words of this song mirror our days more than ever.

΄΄Λέγε τα σπίτια φυλακές

και τις ζωές μας  πλαστικές΄΄

I would like to add some unfairly judged songs like:

1 Itane aprilis minas

2 Mou dose o plastis tin kardia

3 O dromos einai dromos

4 Mesa sto erimo spitaki

5 O Stratos

6 Metanastes

7 Varvakio

8 Fegari hlomo

9 Ta nea tis Alexandras

10 Ksimeroni(one of Theodorakis best)

Yes, I agree, there are some really beautiful valuable songs which never got famous.

But, to be honest, I have problems to understand your problems!

If I want to hear a special song of Dalaras, I put on the cd-player and listen to it. There's no one who has to tell me which one I should choose, it's my own choice.

I don't need advertising in the radio ( although I would like if they do here in Germany!!)

Some songs, for sure, are more popular.

But is this the reason to listen to them?

Who keeps you from listening to your favorites?

Ok. navas asked for performances with songs which are usually not in the programme.

I'm sure, if you ask Dalaras, he would do immediately!

But maybe here we get the problem.

When and where is it possible to do such a concert?

While European or American tour? At least after one hour the spectators would shout for the old wellknown songs!! The same on tour in Greece! Don't forget most of the visitors wait for years to see Dalaras, maybe only once in their life. And of course they are longing for the old one's to join in and sing together with Dalaras.

BTW: Dalaras already started to perform 'special' evenings! The extraordinairy Tsitsanis performance or at the last concert in Frankfurt, Alte Oper, in the 1st part singing songs with the lyrics of Kavafis, he never sung them before!

So, not hopeless, one day the evening with the unusual songs will come, I'm sure!

You should also know that there are (stupid) regulations that decide, 2 or 3 songs from each cd to be advertised from the radio.

So, the rest of them remain unknown, unless you buy the cd or u watch a concert on tv.

I was searching for something else and found this page....which can not pass through my sight without commenting in it :)

Mia Deutera

Triantafullies (Apona matia)

Na'moun o Megalexandros (Mikres Politeies)

Sto metaxu h Ellada taxideuei ( Iera Odos 2)

Th zwh mou mh diabazeis (and the rest of the not-so-well-known songs of that album)

San ton Odussea (+ Egw den eimai upourgos). from Me8usmena tragoudia

Hr8e o Xeimonas (50 xronia rempetiko)

Suggnwmh gia thn amuna (the album has the same name...but only the Anemologio is still "alive as a song).

Mana mou Ellas (after Dalaras' legendary performance, all the other singers should withdraw their records from the markets. I heard Glykeria's performance and was a typical performance of "stul-skuladikou":disgust: :huh: ) If we didn't have D. Solwmos' verses as a national anthem, I think, that Dalaras' performance would be sufficient!!!

Finally - for today at least:

Ta kata Mat8aion pa8h (Treloi kai Aggeloi)...very expressive.

But let me mention some more recent songs from the newest cd: "Η άσφαλτος που τρέχει" that I think haven't been appreciated the way they should. At least, they don't put them on the radio as often as others and a couple of them, I haven't heard them at all!

So, let's bring them on the surface!

They are:

1."H kathodos tou enos" / "Η κάθοδος του ενός"

2."Allo tha pei aisthanomai" / "’λλο θα πει αισθάνομαι"

3."Oso pernaei o kairos" / "Οσο περνάει ο καιρός"

4."H allh mou zwh" / "Η άλλη μου ζωή"

All of them are songs with a deep meaning, don't you agree?

You know its funny now and kind of Ironic too in a way.

Since the release of Dalaras last Personal Studio Recording "H Asphaltos Pou Trehi",

I've only heard him sing at best a few (and I do emphasize the word FEW) on his Live Concert Recordings.

Somehting like,

'ΤΟ ΠΑΛΤΟ'

'Ο ΠΑΛΙΟΣ ΣΤΡΑΤΙΩΤΗΣ'

'ΤΑ ΦΑΝΤΑΣΜΑΤΑ'

and

'ΙΠΤΑΜΕΝΟ ΧΑΛΙ'

:huh:

Why I don't know.

This was A Double Cd, and yes I know not all of us liked every song on there and some were out of the Norm that Dalaras usually presents to us.

But usually, He will sing many songs from his new Recording as its released to bring out & promote and/or present to his audience has he's done so in the past with his other previous cd's some examples are like: Latin, Mh Milas, Kalos Tous, Attikon, Iera Odos, Gianina Papoutsia etc.,

So it's surprisingly a bit disappointing he didn't do too much with the Asphaltos recording and is kind of a shame.

Why Because I've not got to hear him sing Live and see what kind of Magic he would do with the original studio recordings and change them around a bit only to make them better for A LIVE Performance recording,.

Some songs I want to hear done Live by him are:

'ΜΕ ΤΗΣ ΚΑΡΔΙΑΣ ΤΟ ΧΤΥΠΟ'

'ΜΕΘΥΣΜΕΝΗ ΒΑΡΚΑ'

'ΠΑΤΡΙΔΟΓΝΩΣΙΑ'

'ΝΥΧΤΑ ΣΤΟ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΟ'

'ΝΥΧΤΕΡΙΔΑ'

of course

and even

'Η ΑΣΦΑΛΤΟΣ ΠΟΥ ΤΡΕΧΕΙ'

would be good sung with another voice to add in the background vocals.

Giorgio are we asking for too much?

maybe these should be released on video clips too

:)

I think that I've said myopinion about Palto before :)

But I prefer the life version...

Man, can you imagine "H Asfaltos" LIVE!!!! :blink: If D performs it itwill be THE song!

Paidia,

I think, some of the here listed songs are not "unfairly judged", but simply unknown and therefore not judged at all.

This can be told especially about any songs coming from the whole less known, and yet outstanding albums, like e.g. "Methismena tragoudia".

I mean the international release of Η ασφαλτος που τρεχει: some of my favorites were there, but not με της καρδιας τον χτυπο, nor νυχτεριδα. How could they??

To feel Nuxterida..I'll give you the appropriate advice:

Choose a day when you are of very low mood... depressed... frustrated... desperate... hopeless... helpless...!

Then think of the misery described in that song...read the lyrics...interact with them...and take it from there.

Although the song is written as if D is talking to a female, I believe that men can recieve its message easier... specially if they've been in the performer's situation before...

The "bad" judgment of this song is because of its strength... se psuxoplakwnei, se apogohteuei kai se pei8ei pws o,ti ki an prospa8hseis na kaneis einai mataio:

Και τι να πεις σε δυο κουβέντες της στιγμής

δε θα 'μαι γω δε θα 'σαι συ

ψάχνεις να βρεις δυο κούφια λόγια να πιαστείς

κι ύστερα πάλι θα χαθείς

I hope that I ruined your mood for today:razz: Now go and listen to the song:)

Oh God! I started my day with such a bad mood :D

I'll think of something more chearful: Klhrw8hka! :wow:

Paidia,

I think, some of the here listed songs are not "unfairly judged", but simply unknown and therefore not judged at all.

This can be told especially about any songs coming from the whole less known, and yet outstanding albums, like e.g. "Methismena tragoudia".

:blink:

oh my gosh

Olga you're so right.

I forgot about this Great Cd

and I don't think Once I've ever heard Dalaras sing the Title song Live.

He was going to sing it in Concert when I saw him back in '96 at Cleveland but when he asked his audience if they wanted to hear it nobody else but me :wow: responded with great enthusiam; I'm thinking this is probably because being it was such a new hit at the time, nobody knew of the song.

So alas he chose too sing two other songs from that cd and not the main title.

Needless to say I was disappointed.

and to this day, I don't believe hes ever sung it Live in a recording.

Come on Giorgyio se perimenoume sa'fto To Trayoudaki!

This can be told especially about any songs coming from the  whole less known, and yet outstanding albums, like e.g. "Methismena tragoudia".

:blink:

...and I don't think Once I've ever heard Dalaras sing the Title song Live.

Come on Giorgyio se perimenoume sa'fto To Trayoudaki!

You are absolutely right Christo.

And to prove to you that the song is very powerful, here is a personal event:.

Last summer I was walking in the street, somewhere in Greece, and I was singing Me8usmena Tragoudia... I, almost, forgot the whole world!

I was about to cross a street and I didn't notice a car that was approaching slowly.

The driver heard me...stopped...and let me cross. He was smiling admiringly and was moving his head as if he was telling me "go on" :D

I crossed the street and continued the verseraising my voice (after all he deserved a "piece" of pleasure).

My voice had this effect:blink: ... imagine what can Dalaras voice do! (probably he will forse a plane to land :D )

I'm adding my voice (my non-singing voice) to yours and request D to sing it LIVE (I was going to add it in Song Fantasies :wow: )

Panos, thanks for the advice about Nychterida. I won't take it because I have no use for it (what this song means to me and how deep it goes in my life can not in any way be explained or described - we have a history together and then some) - but I'm glad of what you said because it means you are giving the song the attention it deserves...

Please...every song by Dalaras is important for me.

All the lyrics constitute my personal Biblie...the have it all!

And...don't folow my advice (!) because it will have catastrophic efect (really, the lyrics shash me every time I hear the song or read them)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead