Christo

"Personal" Facts About Dalaras.

67 posts in this topic

Have you ever seen an open-minded church???? ;)

Francois!

:razz:

Not a single church, a single mosque, synagogue, political party, organisation, whatever!! - is only this what you see from the faults and neglects of their highest members!

There are millions and millions of people who try to live as best as they can in spite of this, but still belong to those churches, mosques, synagogues, political parties!

Do not pretend you can not see it, oriste parakalo.

Olga

PS. Geske, 4.12.03., 10.57, at least at my computer.

Olga, I said church, not the people who are trying to live as best as they can... and I mean what I said about the church, and this of course applies to any other organization with such ideas about aids or whatsoever....

Difference in definitions then... Ceterum censeo, church or whatever is not the same as its highest powers......

A state not the same as the leading government....

and the people can still live consciously IN those structures IN SPITE OF....

κτλ.

Salam?

PS. Geske, 4.12., 10.57.......

Just a little info to cheer things up. And sorry we're out of topic again but this is kind of funny. You know that Portugal is a very catholic country. There's a church near to where I live where the priest is Brazilian and dances the samba while he prays the mass. Incredible, isn't it? I have lots of stupid images in my mind like, imagine, in Easter period when it's more dramatic: "And there was the crucifixion" prayed and chanted with samba sound!

Thanks Geske. I would like to ask another question to all of you.

Which song do you think is most identified to Dalaras? It would be not only for now, but in 10, 20, 30 years' time. It would be a song that when people hear, they would say "no one sings it like Dalaras does (did)".

For example: When I think of Lisa Minelli, I think "New York, New York"; Barbra Streisand "The Way We Were", Elvis "Love Me Tender" and Frank Sinatra "My Way".

I must say that I have trouble answering my own question. May be "Ah, Helidoni Mou"? What are your choices?

I have a little bit of experimental evidence on that question, because when I am in Greece I inevitably get asked "how did you learn Greek?" and my response is always some variant of "the songs of Giorgos Dalaras".

So, here's a story. You can skip to the last paragraph if you want only the results....

One night last summer, I was just dropping off to sleep on the deck of the ferry out of Igoumenitsa to Italy, very sad and lonely at leaving after three wonderful weeks, when some people behind me started to sing. I turned over to look at them: there were people of all ages there, from teenagers to grandparents, but they didn't behave like a family group - later it turned out they were a coach-load of OTE employees on a holiday trip. So, there was this random selection of about forty people who did not know each other very well, but were definitely in a party mood. They were singing. I heard all sorts of laika that I recognized but can't recall now, but also snatches of Aksion esti, for example.

After a bit i got up and went nearer. They thought I came to complain (some german girls did, later) but when they found out that the reverse was true, they were utterly friendly and at once started feeding me. We got to talking, me in my best sunday Greek, they with mounting delight as they found that communication was actually possible with this weird sleepy-eyed alien...

So they, asked, invetably, where I learned. To which my response was: "in the songs of Giorgos Dalaras". At which point the three men sitting opposite me (ages from thirty-ish to sixty-ish, glass in hand) burst forth unanimously in a spirited rendering of "I fantasia". When they lost the lyrics, they changed to "Ach Chelidoni mou". I think another followed, but I'm not sure - there was a lot of singing that night.

Brian, I agree with you :)

``Ah Helidoni mou`` will definitely be one of them. No one can sing this song like Dalaras does.

Also `H Fantasia`, `Ah o Baglamas`, `Kapou Nyxtwnei`,

`Egw pote den agapw`, `Exw ena Kafene`, `Hlie mou se Parakalw` `Htan Pente Htan Eksi`.........

I could go on for ever, and I believe that is not the point.

It's been thirty five years since his first appearance and there hundreds of songs that can automatically relate to his voice.

Maybe this concerns only the Greek audience. What do our beloved

Non Greek members think?

RENA :)

Maybe this concerns only the Greek audience. What do our beloved

Non Greek members think?

RENA :)

Tricky question, Rena. I would choose also Ach, Helidoni Mou, Ah, O Baglamas, To Pepromeno , Kali Tixi, Paraponemenia Logia...and so many more!

There are (at least) two questions, I think:

what can "automatically" relate to Giorgos Dalaras' voice, and they are mostly the older, best known songs,

what he himself considers his best achievements, his own favourites.

This may result in similar lists of songs, but it must not be.

Surely, in both categories, "Mi mou thimoneis". Used in concerts as final farewell, therefore felt sometimes almost "hated" by some members. :)

What an interesting choice of songs! And of course, since he is so good in all of them, how can one even start to decide?

For one thing, I can see now why he dedicated "Ah, Helidoni Mou" to his daughter.

Secondly, I think that Olga's song will also definitely figure among the top ones to be well remembered when one thinks of Dalaras. But such a sad song, Olga!

I heard that Dalaras fiance(boyfriend) of Anna Vissi in middle 70s.Actually he ia the man who brought her from Cyprus and recommend her to Kougioumtzis and Theodorakis.Have you heard anything about them?

I read in Iasonas Triantafyllidis' book "Arxisan ta organa" where Dalaras wrote a short biography of him,that while Dalaras was recording ''18 Lianotragouda" in November 1973(during Polytexneio events) he singed Lianotragouda and other Theodorakis songs in Deilina and police decided...to close Deilina!!

About the song that "represents" Dalaras: I think it is "Paraponemena logia". Of course "Ax Xelidonni mou" and "Mh mou 8umwneis matia mou" are classical ones, but the lyrics of "Paraponemena Logia" summarise his life, his career and his concepts. Moreover, it expresses the "words" (logia) of all the people who are represented by the voice of Dalaras.

Anyhow, the "right" song is one of that old era...

About Anna Vissi and Dalaras: I heard many gossips. According to the rumors, Dalaras was Vissi's boyfriend (but not her fiance - and I think you can understand the difference). So it is believed that Vissi was "pushed" artistically because of Dalaras... My source: The Greek streets!

:confused:

Hey folks,

I just wanted to put my 2cents in worht too.

I agree with everyones choices from up above

especially that of Ahh Helidoni mou.

But I also have to include

Sthn Alana, Kapou Nixtoni, & Poune Ta Xronia, and Mi Milas.

Then again after 35 years, there are so many more and too many to mention as the list keeps going on and on

:confused:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead