Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antometrios

Dalaras and Communism

13 posts in this topic

Today for the second time now, I've been told by someone that Dalaras is a communist. Now, I don't suppose I care at all, really, but does anyone know whether that's true? I know Mikis Theodorakis is, but I haven't ever read anything about Dalaras' being one.

Oh, and my friend also told me that Stin Alana is about communism, or something. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm just curious.

Antometrios

I have often heard the same thing said down through the grapevine from various friends over the years, and whether or not its true; I think Dalaras' political beliefs and views are his own and should be left alone at that and respected enough not to disrespect it.

I don't think I've ever heard him criticisizing the west in capitalism other then the United States attacking Iraq during this war.

So each to his own I guess even though his ideology (communism) is far dead now (from Russia) then it was 20 some years ago when it was alive and strong.

And if I was ever in an area where Dalaras would come for a rally near my town, I may show up out of curiosity just to see him and hear his voice for a moment but not just enough only to hear him give a speech in politics.

I may linger around waiting a chance to shake his hand and thank him for coming or not even stay long at all. I don't know only because I've never heard him do a rally or protest before as I don't like following politicians around when they come to speak.

:D:D

p.s.

But

if he came anywhere to talk politics but the catch was he going to sing there or do a recital, now thats different.

As I said, I will go to hear him sing and hear his voice then to speak what he wants.

But a whole rally or protest without music from him singing somewhere during the duration of the speech,

:D:D

not sure what I would do or feel

Concert yes, rally for Communism

well

I may have limits too

dont know just not sure

as im from the Western Hemisphere

never been in this predictament to decide now

to use an american parallel, the late mr McCarthy would definitely call Dalaras a communist

on the other hand if you ask the Greek communist party I don't think they would acknowledge him

and if you ask Dalaras himself I can sort of picture him saying "no" in that very short way he has sometimes

please bear in mind that "communist" covers a multitude of sins

varying from "revolutionary danger to the state - execute at once" (Greece in its worst hours during the 20th century)

to "anyone opposing Bush" (the US now)

to "quaint creature which we thought had died out" (Holland, nowadays)

and then some

As for his political opinions - well, I haven't translated all those interviews to repeat what he says in them here, look them up and read them for yourself. They are worth reading.

Antometrios did you register to vote? Christo?

And since my position has always been that there are no stupid questions here is some reading for both of you.

Smith A. (1776), "The Wealth of Nations"

Marx K., Engels F. (1848), "Communist Manifesto" (english ed. 1888)

Marx K. (1867), "The Capital, Part I"

And finally, this is not the place, unless if you wanto to bore most of the members, to analyze the relation between terms like capitalism or communism and actual contemporary regimes others totalitarian and others very close to be totalitarian.

Actually, I registered online, but then they wanted me to print out a form to sign and send in, and I forgot. So I won't be voting this year :D I'm very upset.

But in any case, I reiterate that I don't think it's any of my business, whether Dalaras is a communist or not. I don't even have anything against communism--except where communist states have crushed people's rights to worship as they please.

I was just curious as to whether this were something that Dalaras has been known for in Greece.

Thanks for your insights.

Thanks for your insights.

No problem. And since I just checked your age, let me add to the previous message, that the first book is considered the basis of capitalism while the titles of other two are rather self explanatory.

As far as your original question about Dalaras goes, although probably incorrectly asked, try to interpret your signature and see where that takes you.

Hm. I figured there was probably some kind of political background to the song I quote in my signature. But I didn't know what it was, so I interpretted it in the way that meant the most to me. As far as I know, it's a song about people who are "friends of solitude"--who think for themselves. They decide to act on that ambition that people like that tend to have--to go off and start their own society beyond the corruptions of this one. It's all very idealistic. Like communism, I guess. Hm.

Ah, yes, I read that topic. Once again, though, I find myself wondering about the intended meaning behind the words as much as the words themselves--even as I read the English translation.

For example, I think Stin Alana is about an execution--but whose? I lament an unknown solder. Or civilian. Or political leader. I don't really know who he was....

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0