Anna

Dalaras' news in English

483 posts in this topic

I think its time to give a little summary of the dates of the Oedipus Rex performances with Giorgos Kimoulis, Nonika Galinea and Dalaras as the leader of the chorus.

These are the dates we know until now:

01. and 02.07.2005 Epidaurus

08. and 09.07.2005 Philippi

11. 12. and 13.07.2005 Theatro Dassous, Thessaloniki

16.07.2005 Siviri, Kassandra Festival

18.07.2005 Ioannina

25.07.2005 Theatro Petras

29.07.2005 Paros

05.09.2005 Theatro Tafrou Rhodes

and I think some more dates will follow :)

It has no direct connection with Dalaras but perhaps it is useful to post it here too (for those who did not look at the topic where I wrote about it):

I found a website from which I think that it is the first one until now which offers the possibility of legal (!) download of Greek songs (in the form of MP3).

For surfing on the site it is necessary to register (which is free). The downloading costs about 1 Euro per song. There is also the possibility to listen for free to the samples of certain songs (just a few seconds).

The site is available in Greek and in English (you have to go down to the end of the website in order to choose the language!).

http://www.mpgreek.com/

PS: The available CDs with Dalaras are until now about 15-20.

Michael - this is just to say that I did see your post earlier today, I've registered (I hope!) and thank you very much for the information.

B) finally something in English

Epidaurus Festival 2005

Sophocles' "Oedipus Rex" directed by George Kimoulis

Being both stage director and leading actor, George Kimoulis focuses on the music and the choruses and thus gave his own perspective on Sophocles' "Oedipus Rex", staged at the ancient theatre of Epidaurus (July 1 and 2). Nonika Galinea, the grand lady of Greek theatre, has been chosen for the role of Jocasta, while George Dalaras, the top singer, interprets the role of Coryphaeus. The music is by Goran Bregovic and the lyrics by Lina Nikolakopoulou.

"Oedipus Rex" is considered to be one of the finest and most complete Greek tragedies. Some twelve years before the action of the play begins, Oedipus has been made King of Thebes in gratitude for his freeing the people from the pestilence brought on them by the presence of the riddling Sphinx. Since Laius, the former king, had shortly before been killed, Oedipus has been further honored by the hand of Queen Jocasta.

Now another deadly pestilence is raging and the people have come to ask Oedipus to rescue them as before. The King has anticipated their need, however. Creon, Jocasta's brother, returns at the very moment from Apollo's oracle with the announcement that all will be well if Laius' murderer be found and cast from the city.

In an effort to discover the murderer, Oedipus sends for the blind seer, Tiresias. Under protest the prophet names Oedipus himself as the criminal. Oedipus, outraged at the accusation, denounces it as a plot of Creon to gain the throne. Jocasta appears just in time to avoid a battle between the two men. Seers, she assures Oedipus, are not infallible. In proof, she cites the old prophecy that her son should kill his father and have children by his mother.

She prevented its fulfillment, she confesses, by abandoning their infant son in the mountains. As for Laius, he had been killed by robbers years later at the junction of three roads on the route to Delphi.

This information makes Oedipus uneasy. He recalls having killed a man answering Laius' description at this very spot when he was fleeing from his home in Corinth to avoid fulfillment of a similar prophecy. An aged messenger arrives from Corinth, at this point, to announce the death of King Polybus, supposed father of Oedipus, and the election of Oedipus as king in his stead.

Οn account of the old prophecy Oedipus refuses to return to Corinth until his mother, too, is dead. To calm his fears the messenger assures him that he is not the blood son of Polybus and Merope, but a foundling from the house of Laius deserted in the mountains. This statement is confirmed by the old shepherd whom Jocasta had charged with the task of exposing her babe.

Thus the ancient prophecy has been fulfilled in each dreadful detail. Jocasta in her horror hangs herself and Oedipus stabs out his eyes. Then he imposes on himself the penalty of exile which he had promised for the murderer of Laius.

The ID of the performance

Translation: K. Ch. Myris

Director: George Kimoulis

Stage Design: Pawel Dobrzycki

Costume Design: Emma Ryott

Music: Goran Bregovic

Lyrics: Lina Nikolakopoulou

Choreographer: Jane Gibson

Lights: Jean Kalman

Make-up: Angelos Mentis

Roles are interpreted by: George Kimoulis (Oedipus), Nonika Galinea (Jocasta), George Dalaras (Coryphaeus), Tasos Chalkias (Creon), Arto Apartian (Teiresias), Christos Efthimiou (Angel), George Ziovas (Therapon), Yannis Kotsarinis (Messengerl), Nikos Anastasopoulos (The Priest of Zeus).

The chorus: Laertis Vassiliou, Tilemachos Krevaikas, Nikos Maragopoulos, Stathis Panagiotidis, Dimitris Papanikolaou, Yannis Sideras, Markos Stefanou, Antonis Tountas, Dimosthenis Filippas, Kostas Chatzidimitriou.

M.M

http://www.cultureguide.gr/events/details....id=68176&catA=1

A little update: yesterday Kimoulis and Dalaras gave an interview to Giannis Politis, in the Katrakeio theater in Nikaia in front of the almost-finished decor of the play - very, very impressive, especially in that soft evening light...

I was much impressed by mr Kimoulis (and it's almost impossible for anyone to make an impression on me when Dalaras is around). That man has a huge personality, amazing intellligence (and a rare and special sense of honour which probably no one notices much, the journalist certainly didn't, but I did because I "suffer from" it myself and rarely meet it in others).

Dalaras kept in the background, as nearly nervous as he ever gets, and logically so, since, as he said "I am the apprentice here". Between him and Kimoulis there is a... the "something" that makes them understand and trust each other without words. Very lovely to see.

The news is that there will be all of 11 musical parts - they didn't say if they will all be sung by Dalaras, but I sure hope so.

ELEVEN new Nikolakopoulou - Bregovic songs........ I can't wait!

Also, i've found the translation they are using (K.X. Myris' translations of Sofokles' play) for less than 10 euro from Ianos (or other bookshops I guess). And of course there are dozens of translations available in all European languages.

When it comes to Sofokles, we've all got Greek genetic material inside us, even if it's of the mind not of the body.

And something totally unrelated: the topic "one member - one song" is growing a fourth CD.

Let me remind you: it's a collection in which every one who frequents this forum can, if they like, be represented by one (Dalaras) song. You chose the song as your representative, so it's not necessarily the "best" or "most beautiful", it's the one that means "you". The only rule is that every member is represented by one song only, and each song represents only one member.

There are two technical limitations. If you chose a song (or version of a song) that I don't have, you have to find a way to send it to me - this is not very likely though. And once you have chosen, you can change your mind - until the CD you are on is finalized and burned.

Municipality of Chania, Crete, is going to honor Mikis Theodorakis during the 3-days period July 29th - 31st, with a group of cultural events. On July 31st, orchestra "Mikis Theodorakis" will perform at Chania stadium. Solists: George Dalaras, Nena Venetsanou, Sonia Theodoridou, Dimitris Basis. No ticket required.

... If you chose a song (or version of a song) that I don't have, you have to find a way to send it to me - this is not very likely though.....

Dear Geske,

Could you please write your email address in your next reply,so if there are members that want to send you their choice,they can do that easily (I don't know if you have my choice btw). :huh:

-John

As Piraeus municipality announced, a concert with George Dalaras will take place in October 14th, at Piraeus, with great singer singing "rebetika" songs.

a little update to the upcoming Oedipus performances:

08. and 09.07.2005 Philippi

12. 13. and 14.07.2005 Theatro Dassous, Thessaloniki

16.07.2005 Siviri, Kassandra Festival

18.07.2005 Ioannina

20.07.2005 Kalamata

22.07.2005 Olympia

25.07.2005 Theatro Petroupolis, Athens

29.07.2005 Paros

01.09.2005 Theatro Katrakeio, Nikeia

05.09.2005 Theatro Tafrou Rhodes

08. and 09.09.2005 Theatro Vyronas, Athens

11. and 12.09.2005 Theatro Veakeio, Pireaus

30.09.2005 Amphitheatro Makariou Lefkosia, Cyprus

02.10.2005 Theatro Kourion Limassol, Cyprus

Maybe it's a stupid question: do I have to buy tickets in advance for the Paros concert - it is supposed to be at the Municipal Stadium, does it mean all can fit in? I am trying to make arrangement to be there at the day of performance - coming from Germany.

Thanks in advance

:)

do I have to buy tickets in advance for the Paros concert -

Vitaly, here you will get the information you asked for:

Paros Life

What's on in July

29 Jul - Performance of the ancient tragedy of "Oedipus Tyrannos" with Giorgos Kimoulis and Giorgos Dalaras at the Municipal Stadium, Paroikia.#

For events marked (#), contact Irini Kyriazanou or Marina Stergiou of DEPA at Paros Town Hall (22840-22860) for further info.

http://www.paroslife.com/story.html?story=1419

Municipality of Chania, Crete, is going to honor Mikis Theodorakis during the 3-days period July 29th - 31st, with a group of cultural events. On July 31st, orchestra "Mikis Theodorakis" will perform at Chania stadium. Solists: George Dalaras, Nena Venetsanou, Sonia Theodoridou, Dimitris Basis. No ticket required.

some more infos:

International conference dedicated to Mikis Theodorakis is held in Chania, Crete

Mikis Theodorakis, a great intellectual, musician, human being and politician, is celebrating his 80th birthday and on that occasion the Prefecture of Chania is organising a conference dedicated to him. The conference, which is hosted at the Cultural Centre of Chania, runs for three days (July 29-31) and is followed by a concert of Theodorakis' songs interpreted by acclaimed singers at the Stadium of Chania.

The conference comprises various units that refer to Mikis Theodorakis as the man, the creator, the politician, the Cretan and the universal. Close friends of Mikis Theodorakis, members of his family, as well as acclaimed musicians, theorists of music from Greece and abroad, poets, professors, choreographers and directors highlight the role that Mikis Theodorakis played either in their life or works.

The conference is held at the Cultural Centre of Chania, from July 29 to 31. On the opening day of the conference -which coincides with Mikis Theodorakis' birthday- the residents of Galata district in Chania, land of his origin, participate in a traditional Cretan feast dedicated to the great composer.

As for the last day of the conference, July 31, a grand concert is programmed to take place at the Stadium of Chania at 21:00, featuring notable singers such as Yorgos Dalaras, Nena Venetsanou, Sonia Theodoridou and Dimitris Bassis, accompanied by the orchestra "Mikis Theodorakis". The admission to the concert is free.

AF

http://www.cultureguide.gr/events/details....d=69057&catA=12

Thanks Anna. :D

And I wanted exactly to ask who is so lucky to be going to the festivities? Are you, Anna?

What does oikoumenikos mean, btw?

What does oikoumenikos mean, btw?

Sorry my dictionary doesnt give an answer

but, maybe one of the 881 members of this community can help out

:)

''Oikoumenikos'' means world-wide or universal. :)

Thank you Anna and Gogo. I have heard that word apply to Mikis ... universal. :)

I have never looked at him that way, though. To me, Mikis is simply what Greece has best to offer, i.e. the Greek spirit.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead