Anna

Dalaras' news in English

483 posts in this topic

Anna, you are right! I think there are some members who give up! :D

Geske, thank you for your understanding. The last time , I loose more and more interest in this site. Not because of loosing interest in the music, only because, that I cannot read all the posts! :blush: And I think, that I am not alone.I am very sad because of this. The forum was and is very important for me. :( #

Franz

I agree with you people!!!I think this site is an international one,not just Greek oriented.Also,there many posts that one member is teasing another or others.Can we reduce it a bit?We can do that writing a personal message,not a normal one that all will view. I agree with you Franz,I've begun loosing interest too.

-John

So what's the conclusion? That all members should be obliged to write their postings in English???????

Then the same argument as yours, Franz and John, (that you loose the interest in the site because you cannot read most of the postings) probably would apply to other members: Those who do not speak (or not sufficiently speak) the english language in order to follow the discussions and to participate.

Especially during the last months many interesting comments are posted by members who obviously do not speak english (or not enough to post in this language). I would not like to miss their postings!

So I see only the following practicable solution:

- Everyone shall post in the language he/she prefers.

- Consequentely if someone would like to start a discussion in English or get some information in this language, he simply should start a new topic. I think that then most of the answers/reactions will be in English too.

- And if someone has only some basic knowledge of the Greek language but thinks that some topic or comment written in Greek could be of interest for him, he should ask publicly for a translation into English. I think that usually someone will be ready to make it.

- Finally there is this topic - "Dalaras, what's going on" - which shows that the members who do not speak Greek are not completely ignored. Maybe that there could be posted more information here; but I think that at least it is ensured that you will not miss the basic information about new releases of Dalaras, the dates of his concerts etc.

Michael,

I would prefer an English section,where a non Greek speaking viewer could read current news about Dalaras because most,not all of the foreign members,read English at least.I would rename the topic "Dalaras,what's going on" to "Dalaras news English section".Additionally,we could make a German section that a German speaking member would take care of.We cannot forbid of course the other foreign speaking members for writing in their own language.

There have been many times when I was reading something of secondary importance to other serious matters.(if you want to tease someone you won't do that in a topic where interesting comments are made).

My opinion is that we should give importance to topics like uploading files,songs and videos,so that we would give a chance to those people that have not attended often his concerts to hear his performances.

-John

I would prefer an English section,where a non Greek speaking viewer could read current news about Dalaras because most,not all of the foreign members,read English at least. I would rename the topic "Dalaras,what's going on" to "Dalaras news English section".

But isn't exactly this idea realized by this topic here? Of course you can say that you do not find enough information here or that there is not enough participation, but then this (also) the fault of the English-speaking members themselves. At least the concept of what you suggest already exists. (The name of the topic is not of so much importance I think and more a matter of taste.)

Additionally,we could make a German section that a German speaking member would take care of.

The same I wrote above applies to the German section you have in mind: There is already the topic "Dalaras, was gibt's neues?", initiated (as the English one) by Anna.

Anyway, I will give a good example by myself and post some information. :D

Another member (arety) told us about a new forum about Haris Alexiou.

The link is: www.harisalexiou-forum.tk

There you can find a section "Δισκογραφία" ("Diskografia"). It is the 4th one in the list. When you click there you will find a topic called "45 στροφές" ("45 strophes"). And in this topic you will find a number of links for downloading, most of them concerning very rare and old songs with Alexiou. And one of these links (quite at the end of the 4th page of the topic) gives you the possibility to download an obviously very old song with Dalaras. (The link can be recognized easily as it contains the word "dalaras").

To me the discovery of this song seems to be quite a sensation because obviously until now it was completely unknown and it is not even part of the collection "Gia ta tragoudia kai ego ftaio" (whose ambition was to contain all of Dalaras' songs on single records which had not become part of LP records too).

So I suggest you to download this song. It must be something very rare. :D

I guess this is the right topic to post such information, since non-greek members will easily notice it's update. I was among last night's audience at Herod Atticus Odeon to attend Mikis heodorakis "Symphonic Music" concert. Well, my friends, it was an unforgetable concert, a great one indeed. Mikis Theodorakis himself attended the concert and we all applauded him as he entered the theatre, supported by a woman.

The first part of the concert included . We enjoyed a great performance from the orchestra and the choir. At the end of the first part, soprano Dimitra Theodosiou, performed the great aria from Medea in an excellent way, applauded by the audience when finished. The second part began with symphonic music from the orchestra.

Petros Pandis and Maria Farantouri, sang abstracts from Canto General. It was great to see these two great artists, basic performers of Mikis Theodorakis' work, together on stage. It was a very emotional moment. And then George Dalaras came on stage. And he performed "Anigo to stoma mou" from "Axion Esti" in a magnificent, in a marvellous way. His voice was coming straight out of the bottom of his heart. It was Mikis' heart and soul singing through Dalaras. He sang as teenager, but with a voice full of maturity, strength and softness. He performed parts of the "Doxastikon" afterwards, together with the choir. He even sang the parts aimed to be performed by a tenor in a magnificent way. Between, these two performances, while George Dalaras was on stage, a man sitting in the front seats shouted: Mikis, you are the greatest among all living Greeks! When, Dalaras finished his parts, well, it was apotheosis. The audience applauded him, again and again. I could not help myself thinking he is the best artist in Greece and one of the best abroad.

All artists came on stage afterwards, the audience could not stop clapping and hailing. And then, one of the best moments I have ever experienced so far. Mikis Theodorakis, always supported as he could hardly walk, ascended on stage. He walked up to the pontium and - what a moment - he conducted orchestra, choir and Dalaras in a second performance of "Anigo to stoma mou". What an unforgetable moment. As they finished, in an apotheosis by the audience, George Dalaras embraced Theodorakis, kissed his hand and he walked him to the stairs of the stage and we almost bursted into tears.

I hope I have been able to give you an idea of last night's performance. I hope I see some of you here in Athens, for November's performances at Athens Concert Hall. I guess there will be two magical nights.

Illustration of what I said earlier about English being as hard to learn for the Greeks, as Greek for a native speaker of English or German or what have you.
When we were kids, our parents were after us to make us learn foreign languages, but our mind was on records and concerts in the football grounds (back then...), with the result, as I've written also in another topic (Latin), that if I tried to translate my post in English, those who read it might forget the English they do know! thanks Geske for translating it for me... As for me I would beg and propose that those who can, and have the ability, would translate the foreign-language posts so that we can understand them too who haven't mastered english... Thank you in advance.

I think all of us on this forum, as indeed every citizen in this Europe of ours, has to learn to live with the fact that «some of it» will be in a language we don't understand. Equally, I feel it is a good thing, something worthwhile, if those who can understand help those who can't.

Να το πω και στα ελληνικά: ολοί μας στο φόρουμ, όπως και ο κάθε πολίτης αυτής της Ευρώπης πού ζούμε, θα πρέπει να δέχεται ότι ένα μέρος «των πραγμάτων» θα είναι σε μια ξένη γλώσσα. Ταυτόχρονα, νιώθω πως αξίζει αυτοί που καταλαβαίνουν να βοηθούν αυτοι που δεν μπορούν.

Reminder.In order not to be boring

Another post to try and help you find the english-language info in this Greek jungle.

Thanasis has dug out a book called "100 records and their history", released by radio Melodia and the newspaper Kathimerini some years ago. He's giving us (in the relevant topics) the articles from it that concern Dalaras records, and I'm doing my best to keep up with the translations.

And, does anyone need an update in English about the next round of Theodorakis concerts?

Let me remind anyone who might have forgotten that it's going to be at the Megaro Mousikis in Athens, on 10 and 11 november, ticket sales starting this thursday 20/10 (and possibly ending there as well, since it will not be in the big "filon tis mousikis" concert hall, but in a smaller, newer one).

Dalaras is going to sing what are arguably the greatest myths of 20th century Greek music: Theodorakis "Aksion Esti" and "Romiosyni" .

As we all know, Axion Esti and Romiosyni performances are going to take place on this week's Thursday and Friday at Athens Concert Hall. Is there anyone of George Dalaras friends from abroad, who is coming to Athens for the concerts; If so, let me say that there are also two upcoming community meetings, one after Friday's concert and one on Saturday morning at Plaka, at 12 o' clock. It will be a good chance to get to know each other and talk ! :music::music:

We would like to inform you that due to the participation of the Union of Greek Air Traffic Controllers & the Federation of Hellenic Civil Aviation Associations in a 24 hour national strike, there will be no flights at all, to or from Athens Interna-tional Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos" on Thursday, November 10th.

http://www.aia.gr/EN/real_time/real_time.htm

:) I hope I get a another flight on Friday ...

As Anna said, no flights are going to be carried out today, Nov. 10th, up to midnight, due to strike. I you have arranged to fly with Greek companies Olympic Airlines and Aegean Airlines, here are the phone numbers to call in order to book a ticket in tomorrow's scheduled flights.

Olympic Airlines: (+30) - 210-9666666

Aegean Airlines: (+30) - 210 - 6261000

And Eleftherios Venizelos Athens Airport Call Center: (+30) 210 3530000

Let's have some really good news for a change :music:

As we found out today from Radio Melodia, which is playing some of it as a exclusive pre-release, a new Dalaras album is due to be released on December 5th.

The title is announced as «30ος-40ος παράλληλος». It is the "Live at the Irodeio" recording made in the summer of 2004, when Dalaras "hosted" the big concert with singers from all around the Mediterranean.

It has been announced as a CD, not a DVD, even though the concert was filmed as well.

I have already translated the original greek post in its location, but it is good to also put the information here:

George Dalaras' new cd (Mesogeios - 30th 40th Parallel) is going to be released on December 5th. On December 8th, next Thursday, George Dalaras will be hosted at Melodia Radio Station, at Odysseas Ioannou broadcast, 6 - 8 p.m. George Dalarasis going to be interviewed not by Ioannou, but by 40 people chosen by lot from those who wish to attend the interview. Participation may be declared at Melodia radio station, from Monday 5.12.2005, by phone (the phone numbers wil be announced).

For those who do not know, Melodia is broadcasted via the internet at the address: www.melodia.gr

Attention!

The cd single "Emeis oi iroes" (music: Kostas Ganotis, poetry: Aggelos Sikelianos) sang by George Dalaras is going to be released together with the Athens' newspaper Eleftherotypia, on Saturday 3.12.2005, regarding the international day for people with accesibility problems. For those who cannot buy the paper (e.g. friends from abroad), tell us to buy more copies! :blush::)

Well, I haven't posted in a very long time: hello, all. I'm listening right now to a great album called Methysmena Tragoudia, but I'm thinking about other albums--earlier ones that should be remastered. I just noticed a Greek-language topic that seemed to deal precisely with this, but I don't understand what is being said!

Are they releasing more remasters? And if so, are they intending to remaster all of the older albums? That would be great--but I'll also have to stop collecting the originals if they're just going to be rereleased with better quality :blink:

Oh, another thing--is this CD that is going to be released on the fifth an album or a single? I'm sure I'll want it in either case, but I wish it would be an album

Hm. Hey, I'm writing a zeimpekiko. Think George Dalaras would be interested in singing for me? Anybody else here an amateur song-writer? Just curious. Have a good day.

Oh, another thing--is this CD that is going to be released on the fifth an album or a single?  I'm sure I'll want it in either case, but I wish it would be an album

:) I really thought we, especially Dora, put all the latest news here in English

Once again:

The new cd is called: Μεσόγειος 30ος-40ος παράλληλος (Mesogeios - 30th - 40th Parallel). It is the Live at the Irodeion recording made in the summer of 2004, when Dalaras "hosted" this great concert with singers from all around the Mediterranean.

It contains the following songs:

1. Mesogeios | Thalassa pikrothalassa | Ti ein afto pou mas enonei - G. Dalaras

2. Ιs oria mu - G. Dalaras

3. Luna Rossa - Eddy Napoli - G. Dalaras

4. O mare e tu - G. Dalaras, D. Pontes

5. Pios tahydromos - G. Dalaras, Eddy Napoli

6. After all the rain - Mira Anwar Awad

7. Yiad anouga - G. Dalaras, Mira Anwar Awad

8. Petaxes [Corsica] - G. Dalaras

9 .Scarpicciatiello - Eddy Napoli

10. Havana - G. Dalaras, D. Pontes

11. Cancao do mar - D. Pontes

12. O meu menino e de oiro - D. Pontes

13. Manilim - Halil Moustafa

14. San to metanasti - G. Dalaras, Halil Moustafa

15. Na me thimase - G. Dalaras

16. Mia thalassa mikri - G. Dalaras

17.Thalassa platia | Hartino to feggaraki - G. Dalaras, D. Pontes

18. Omorfi poli - G. Dalaras, D. Pontes

Front cover consists of a painting including sea with fishes. Have a look: http://www.musiccorner.gr/images/minosemi/...ntalaras_05.jpg

The CD is going to be released on 05.12.2005, a package with CD and DVD on 12.12.2005, and another DVD, which will be different from the first, will be in the shops the 19.12.2005.

And with the newspaper Eleftherotypia from 03.12.2005 there will be a CD single of Giorgos Dalaras: "ΟΧΙ ΔΕΝ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΧΙΜΑΙΡΑ..." (music: Kostas Ganotis, poetry: Aggelos Sikelianos).

The 03.12.2005 is the international day for people with accessibility problems and 0,50 Euro from this CD single are for their organisation and help.

... about the 'remastered' CD's, I didn't 'watch' the topic :razz:

I really thought we, especially Dora, put all the latest news here in English. ... about the 'remastered' CD's, I didn't 'watch' the topic  :D

A 2nd remastered cds series concerning a lot of George Dalaras albums has been released a few months ago. It includes George Dalaras, Stavros Kougioumtzis' "Natane to 21", Akis Panou' "Thelo na ta po", O Metoikos, Stavros Kougioumtzis' "Otan anthizoun pashalies" and George Dalaras sings Apostolos Kaldaras. Lately, Stavros Kougioumtzis Ilioskopion and Ymnoi aggelon se rithmous anthropon have been added to the remastered cds collection. Previously, "I maides i ilioi mou" and "Latin" had also been released.

Several issues have been discussed such as:

No unreleased songs are included in each album's remastered version, as for example in the remastered version of the album "My Mays my suns". No obvious difference in sound quality can be noticed, as well.

Still, we are talking about George Dalaras albums. Still, if someone owns the original cd of the Latin for example and not the vinyl album, could buy the remastered cd, since it includes all songs included in the vinyl record, unlike the original cd version.

About the two latest additions, Stavros Kougioumtzis "Ilioskopion" and "Ymnoi aggelon se rithmous anthropon" most of the members replied to that topic, including myself, maintained that a distinctive collection of Stavros Kougioumtzis remastered albums should have been released, containing these two cds as well.

From Kathimerini English edition 03.12.2005:

Sir Elton John plays in honor of needy children, at Versailles

"Ah, mes amis grecques was the open-armed welcome a group of four Greeks received from former French president Valery Giscard dEstaing as they entered the Opera Gabriel at the Chateau de Versailles Monday night bearing invitations from Giscard dEstaings wife Anne-Aymone, who is the founder-president of the Fondation pour lEnfance, the organizer of the recital by Sir Elton John. The British singer had offered his services his voice, his piano, his music and his big heart free of charge for the evening. Once again he showed himself worthy of the title bestowed on him by Queen Elizabeth in 1997 for his services to causes such as the fight against AIDS and the many children in Africa orphaned by the disease. The international evening that saw the Versailles Palace and the Trianon floodlit for the occasion belonged to the cause of children and the foundation whose members work year-round toward alleviating the plight of so many children who are abused, who disappear, who are malnourished or illiterate. Celebrities from Paris, London, New York and, in recent years, Greece have been helping this cause. This year the audience included the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, Madame Jacques Chirac and many prominent members of Pariss fashion world. The Greeks included Geli Angelopoulou, president of the Epistrophi association for the rehabilitation of people with dependencies, singer George Dalaras and his wife Anna and, of course, Helbi. With our invitation (1,300 euros each) in one hand and a glass of champagne in the other, we mounted the steps of the Opera Gabriel, a miniature version of La Scala in Milan. After Madame Giscard dEstaing thanked the packed house and Sir Elton for their support, there was a screening of a film of the devastation in Sri Lanka caused by the tsunami, where the foundation has provided valuable assistance, and then a film about two children orphaned by AIDS. Elton John appeared in a dark plum-colored suit, orange-framed glasses, his usual laughing, good-humored self. At the end he dedicated his last song to the audience before taking off for Finland. At the dinner which followed the concert, the Greek guests were seated next to the officials table along with a young duchess from Portugal, the Duc dAnjou, the Lebanese pianist Omar Harouche and Madame Lenore Scherrer.

And to see the article and a photo, click here:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/civ...date=03/12/2005

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead