Anna

Dalaras' news in English

483 posts in this topic

I'm so glad to have finally found this site. I have been looking for some English posts for quite a while now and I was ready to give up. My name is Louise and I am a fan of George Dalaras' from the U.S. I am not of Greek heritage and speak abosolutely no Greek.

Thank you for the information regarding Dalaras' new release. Do you know if it will be available outside of Greece? If not, how may I purchase a copy?

I had heard a rumor that Dalaras will be touring the U.S. this coming year. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Thank you for all your comments. I've learned a lot tonight.

me agaip (my limited Greek :D

Louise

Hi Louise, welcome to this strange and wonderful place. I'm tempted to say "come in and don't mind the mess". :D

The new record will very probably be available abroad. Your best bet is some of the greek-oriented internet shops, of which there are several in the u.s. and Canada. The Greek internet record shops also ought to have it, but when I last looked they were all in Greek, which would be problematic for you.

The rumour of Dalaras going to the u.s. is, as far as I know (and this forum is about as well-informed as it's possible to be), no more than wishful thinking. This does not mean that it won't materialize - with him, you never know.

And a small technical note: when you put in a tag, like "bold", you have to close it again, or it doesn't work. Also, you can click the "edit" button (upper righthand corner of your post) to correct the text you posted.

Efharisto Geske,

I'm so glad to have finally made communication. I emailed someone at Globe about 6 months ago who said that Dalaras would be touring, but nothing since. They are here in the States and claim to book Dalaras' concerts. Thanks for the update.

I believe there is a web site here called greekcity. I will check with them regarding the new release.

I am having a little trouble finding this page, but I'll persevere!

Louise :D

:huh: The new CD: Mesogios - 30th - 40th Parallel is now available for all.

I found some internet addresses where you can order online. But bear in mind that there will be soon the release of a package with CD and bonus DVD and some days later a DVD without CD!

Canada:

http://www.greekcity.com/music/music4cat.t...RALLILOS%20LIVE

US:

http://www.greekmusic.com/MESOGIOS_p/3506-242.htm

Greece:

http://www.musical.gr/cddetails.scr?gui_la...e=0944635062427

For sure there are more stores, I just took these one, as they are the first who offer :confused:

On December 8th, next Thursday, George Dalaras will be hosted at Melodia Radio Station, at Odysseas Ioannou broadcast, 6 - 8 p.m. George Dalarasis going to be interviewed not by Ioannou, but by 40 people chosen by lot from those who wish to attend the interview. Participation may be declared at Melodia radio station, from Monday 5.12.2005, by phone (the phone numbers wil be announced).

For those who do not know, Melodia is broadcasted via the internet at the address: www.melodia.gr

There were really some lucky of this forum who went to Melodia Radio station and participated at this interview with Giorgos Dalaras!!

And which information did we get? Until now I found out:

-the performance to honour Lefteris Papadopoulos will be at Megaro Mousikis Athens, but without Haris Alexiou. Giorgos Dalaras will do with other artists, yet we dont know with whom.

-the new way to offer music to the customers, means first the CD, some days later CD with DVD and another days later another DVD, well, its not Giorgos Dalaras fault. Its the music companies struggle for survive!

-we got the confirmation about plans for an European tour. About January 2007, the same programme as in Vienna! Im a bit disappointed. Once again the dates are changed towards the future and obviously the idea of making a Giorgos Dalaras unplugged (something like they did once in Frankfurt Alte Oper), didnt find a majority

Every one who got more from the 2 hours interview is very welcomed to put here in English :huh:

Related to yesterdays interview, some factual information to add to what Dora (Hardet) and Anna have already posted in English :

- a CD with some of the songs of Dalaras collaboration with Mrs. Arveler will be released and distribute with some newspaper (it is not known which newspaper yet)

- Dalaras, P.Lalezas and Estoudiantina are at the moment working at studio recordings

- A European tour is foreseen for January (programme similar the Viennas concert)

- Excerpts from yesterdays interview will be broadcoasted again tomorrow or the following Saturday with the MEGA Backstage programme

- Photos will be published by the newspaper Kathimerini (when is not known)

- Annas question (differences between the version of Sta tragoudia pou sou grafw)

was asked to a representative of Minos who was there with Dalaras.

The lady admitted that such differences were the outcome of production mistakes (she seemed slightly embarrassed , since they had tried to hide it from Giorgos Dalaras).

She said that after all mistakes were very easy to make and human but of course they were not very pleased when such things happened.

Our Agnie offered a solution :

she proposed that in the future Minos should send us (the forum) a copy for correction before they released the new CD.

Very sensible

:huh:

I hope the information Im giving here is correct.

I realize Im not the best person to do this neither my Greek nor my English being up to much.

But I know the agony of wanting to know and not being able to understand and how difficult it will be to wait patiently until Geske manages the enormous work of typing everything down and translating the interview.

Dear Anna,

Thank you so much for the information. I have had such a hard time getting ANY information about Dalaras. I have been a fan of his for about a year and a half.

I will wait to order the cd with the DVD.

I gather that the tour Globe Productions told me was to take place in 2006 to the U.S. will not happen. I can find no further information about this. Perhaps, if all works out well, I can combine a vacation with a concert somewhere in Europe in the future.

Again ,efharisto.

Louise

I just wanted to ask for a little more patience from those who are waiting for some more English to read in this forum. I'm working hard at transcribing the interview that Dalaras gave on Melodia last week, but it IS going to take a while longer, because it's a long interview and he's talking very fast and I don't want mistakes in the transcript. But after that, I think the translating will go fast. And I'll post it as soon as possible.

Dear Anna & Dora,

Thank you for the link of Dalaras' new cd. Some of the songs are familiar to me. I can't read the Greek, but #5 is a song that was recorded here in the 1950s by Jerry Vale under the title "Just Say I Love Her". I don't know what the Greek words are or if they correlate, but the song is one of my favorites.

Ganske, I look forward to reading the translation of the interview, whenever you get a chance to get it done. Take your time.

Kali Evdomada (Hope I said it right)

Louise : :music:

My fingers don't seem to want to spell right. Sorry Geske, I spelled your name wrong. :music: I'm afraid I didn't catch it before I posted the message.

Louise :music:

Hi Folks,

Me again (Louise)

I get the feeling that not speaking Greek, I am missing out on a lot of information on this site. Is there anything current that you can fill me in on about Dalaras, concerts, anything past 2003? I really know so little about him. A former friend shared his music with me, but that is really all I know. I'm not even sure I know how many recordings he's done or if I have most of them since individual songs were sent to me, not complete cds. I do have many songs from Latin, and two other favorites are Gloria and Night. I guess I have a total of about 25 songs that he's recorded including those he sang with Mario Frangoulis.

Thanks for your time and patience with me. I guess I am a novice at this and need help.

Mi agapi,

Louise :wow:

Louise, he himself certainly has lost count of how many songs he's recorded. Even our local experts (Thanassis and Apostolis) can't agree on the number of songs in the official discography - but it's very near 1000 (one thousand). And there's at least half as much again circulating in more-or-less pirated form, some taken from tv airings of concerts or other shows, some from pocket tape- and mp3 recorders.

So, don't worry, you've got way to go.

I'll look up the discobiografy that comes with the «remastered» series of his older records, I've got it translated somewhere, that should help you find your way a bit among the records.

If you want to go on from there, I don't think you can escape learning to decifer the greek letters, to be able to read at least record sleeves, and the discografy in the site. It's well worth the effort, believe me.

:music::confused:;)

I see what you mean. I have my work cut out for me. :blink:

Thank you though, I DID ask for it. :lol:

I'll let you know if I have any further questions - but I promise not to bug you too much. :wow:

Again, efharisto

Louise

was asked to a representative of Minos who was there with Dalaras.

The lady admitted that such differences were the outcome of production mistakes (she seemed slightly embarrassed , since they had tried to hide it from Giorgos Dalaras).

She said that after all mistakes were very easy to make and human but of course they were not very pleased when such things happened.

;) Seems they CANT do it better

All our Greek members, who saw already the DVD Mesogios, are complaining about the lousy and bad quality!

Its a pity and its a shame B)

Its so lonely here. I notice that there are a lot of posts on the Greek language topics, but very few people entering anything here. Am I the only non Greek fan of Dalaras'? :wow:

If so, though I hate to be this exclusive, I wonder what I'm missing.

Anyone out there? :(

Louise

Dear Anna,

I just read your post about the new cd. That's too bad. With digital equipment today, you would think this would all be corrected before anything is released. I haven't bought the cd yet. I have some of his older cds, such as Latin and very early songs. I really have preferred some of his earlier works.

Thanks for the note.

Louise

Its so lonely here. I notice that there are a lot of posts on the Greek language topics, but very few people entering anything here.

Louise, I get the impression, you dont know yet the whole community :wow:

This topic Dalaras, whats going on? is meant for announcements and news for CD releases and concert announcement in English, nothing else.

If we would start to post and discus everything about Dalaras in English at this single topic, just because we write in English, it would definitely divide the community into 2 parts

Every one is welcomed to write posts and ask special questions in English at this Dalaras forum. But please use the special topic which belongs to the special content. This is more useful, as these special topics are read by a lot of members and the chance to get an answer is more big!

Take your time and explore this website and the forum and you will find a lot of infos and posts in English. Especially in the beginning of this community !!

To give a small example, we have the topic: How I became addicted

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?act...ec143fa569e99cd

and btw., you see, the first story is similar to your story I got a friend who introduced me to Dalaras, now the friend is gone

If you like, you could add your story to this topic

Or, if youre interested in past concerts, theres a special thread filled up with topics!!! Of course most of the writing is in Greek, but also some entries in English and a lot of photos

F.e.just a few:

Irodion 02. and 03.08.2004:

Syros 17.07.2004:

Athens Arena Dalaras together with Antonis Remos Winter 2005:

Dalaras concerts on Cyprus July 2004:

Dalaras and Marinella in Florida 2003

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?s=3...=3&t=1219&st=30

Concert in Vienna 21.10.2005

If you are interested in rare songs of Dalaras, go to the topic:

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?act...a229f7972a4407e

We have a special thread called questions and requests. If you have special questions, you can ask them here:

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?s=5...07e&act=SF&f=14

and, do you know already the official website of Dalaras? They have a lot of infos (in English)!

Go to http://www.dalaras.gr/default.htm

and click on:

-Biography

-Collaboration

-Around the world

I just read your post about the new cd. That's too bad. With digital equipment today, you would think this would all be corrected before anything is released. I haven't bought the cd yet.

the complains are about the DVD, not the CD!

You're right, Anna, I don't know my way around this site. No matter how hard I try, I find it difficult to get any information or participate because most of the posts are in Greek. If there is an English answer, it is difficult to follow the topic. Very frustrating.

I've been on the official site, but can not find anything current. I will try the sites you suggested. If I can't participate from there, I may just give up. You speak about dividing the group because of language differences, but it is difficult for a fan, who does not speak Greek to feel included. I'm saying this not in anger, but as constructive criticizm due to the frustration I've encountered. I hope it will be taken as that.

Thank you for the sites you mentioned. I hope others have not been discouraged by not being able to figure out how this all works.

Sincerely,

Louise

Louise, here's a small practical tip for the 'current affairs' topics. To locate the few English posts in several pages of Greek, click on the "print this topic" button (somewhere in the top right area) - not to print, but to scroll through all the pages in the topic quickly. Especially if the Greek makes no sense, your eye will "stick" to the English bits. Then, if they are interesting but not informative enough, ask a question about it in English in that topic. The more precise the question, the more chances of an (interesting) answer.

Anna I think your memory is as precise as the computer and a lot more useful, I mean accessible - that list of links you posted is :wow: .

Dear Geske and Anna,

Thank you for the patience you are showing me. I did go onto the "topic" regarding how we heard about Dalaras. It is interesting, Geske, your experience and mine are not too different - except my "friend" and I have not become reaquainted.

I'm determined to work at this. :wow: I know it will be frustrating until I get the hang of it.

Efharisto Poli

Louise

Also want to say have a happy holiday season.

[i'm determined to work at this.  :blush:   I know it will be frustrating until I get the hang of it.

Hi Louise

I hope you do persevere - there is so much useful information in this site. I know that much of it is in Greek these days, but if you have some spare time, and take a look through the older topics, there are a great deal of English posts. Everything I know about Greek music I learned here - the participants (both Greek and otherwise) are extremely knowledgeable and are always happy to help out.

A belated welcome from me :wow:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead