Anna

Dalaras' news in English

483 posts in this topic

Last week the programme of the Kypria 2006 Festival was announced.

Within numerous concerts we find:

Dulce Pontes and Giorgos Dalaras

28.09.2006 Limassol

29.09.2006 Larnaka

http://www.politis-news.com/cgibin/hweb?-A...archivearticles

http://www.phileleftheros.com/main/main.as...d=134&id=427770

http://www.phileleftheros.com/main/main.as...d=134&id=428107

For our many members here from around the world who don't understand Greek, but would like to know more about the recent concerts at Prespes and Kelly, I have posted my thoughts under the heading 'Past Concert Impressions'.

For anyone interested....

yesterday in Athens the rain ruined two special concerts: Dalaras at the Katrakeio (which will be held today instead) and the first of the 3 concerts for Radio Melodia's first birthday at the Lykavitto (cancelled, since there is no date available on which to hold it instead).

While our luckier members have been jumping between concerts folding and unfolding their umbrellas, we poor forgotten souls have hothing to do for expressing our companionship but to recall thunderstorms of the past (in safe dryness of our rooms) or immerse into the wettest part of the Greek song world: rain, snow, shedding tears, weeping :rolleyes:

Another option is to get a sip of that more pleasant and warming liquid and do some homework. :)

These are the results.

Interview that Dalaras gave to Anastasia Kouka on Sept. 16 (Eleftherotypia).

Q. How was your summer tour of Deserted Villages?

A. It was a special experience. In Florina we went to Kelli, an ancient village. It has a small population. Most are shepherds or farmers. This village is covered with snow in winter. However, it is not deserted. None of the villages we visited was deserted. We emphasize with our songs reality of abandonment. Our songs remind that there are reasons why people feel a need to write about loneliness. And lets not forget that we musicians, singers, composers, poets, need those feelings of sadness or of extreme joy in order to create.

Q. What attracted you so much to the music of Dasho Kourti, an artist from Albania, that you decided to entrust him the entire work?

A. It was the same purpose that has been directing me for many years now: a need of an artist to hang around, stay close to places and emotional environment of the people and their thoughts those for whom he sings. The atmosphere of the songs of Theodorakis, Kougiomtsis, Loizos, Ksarhakos is today much closer to expressing (life of ) Albanese, Yougoslaves, Boulgars, Roumanians and Tourks. We have made a transition, we are living in luxury, carefree and relaxed. This is a relaxation which causes, however, carefree attitude and indifference to the things. I also have a feeling of a sort A lot of work must be done for the sun to come back (some citation ? translators note) toward many of our neighboring countries with whom we have other relationships. Because our borders are open-closed.

Q. Thus, as you put it, these songs appeal to a very small portion of the Greek society. Isnt it risky for you?

A. Certainly. And I am still doing it deliberately. I would not be able to do anything else after that tour. I started to sing almost four decades ago. I did Kapou nihtonei, Pounai ta hronia, Ah, helidoni mou, couplets (lianotragouda), and in parallel rembetiko. So, do you think that I could do anything else but what I am doing now? I am now concerned with keeping as far as possible from that stupid lightness of technique in the current times, of those TV songs and of that mentality accepted by the world.

Q. To what extent you are concerned with marketability or, if you prefer, with popularity of your work?

A. I am not bothered by this. I am beyond this level. My concern is the essence. I had pondered a lot about my emotions, my needs, my obligations toward myself, and about what exactly is happening in the world. Could I have competed for a TV hit or for one of those singles of Cosmote? No, because I dont want it. Remember, time goes by, I am getting older. I might do some digressions as my appearance with Antonis Remos in a big entertainment center. I decided I want to do it, and I did it. As a matter of fact, whatever I have done, there were always some digressions with hits such as Thessaloniki-Giannena, Mi milas. And there were such songs as To poukamiso to thalassi and Fantasia mou. But I am not 25 any more. I want to be spending my energy by offering to the world something to look at: something that has truth and talent in it. Because, unfortunately, we are offered trash on daily basis.

Q. You have recently changed the label company. You left Minos Emi, the company where you had spent decades and switched to Universal. Why have you left, really, Mr. Dalaras.?

A. It was bound to happen. If you are unable to communicate, to do things you dream about, such relationship loses its bond, and it must be discontinued. When the decisions in the companies are made outside of the country, and the only thing that matters for them is how much money they make with the least possible expenses, then I cant stand it. I was spoilt when I was growing up in that period when the companies were Greek, and the label belonged to a person with whom you conversed. Even the new label which I launched and issued CDs of Estoudiantina could not operate without monetary investments. Those investments were not supposed to go for my salary they were intended as means for some development. I was thinking about changing companies for a while. Starting from the beginning of 90-s. Another reason for my leaving the company was also many changes in its administrative personnel. Thus, my decision was taking shape for a long time.

Part 2.

Q. For a long time now the media show Giorgos Dalaras in different views, positive and negative. How much are you concerned with your public image?

A. It does not concern me. I have spoken up against these images in most decisive ways. I've been unambiguously against the fame and publicity. It is a part of the job but such sort of publicity that exists currently does not concern me. I am concerned with what image people have of myself - those people that follow my work - but I don't make concessions so that I can become the one they imagine me to be. I had been so much abused regarding my social contacts with the outside world, with the journalists, that I don't care any more. Who wants to know (my image) why don't you just come closer and listen to what I am doing? It is a fact that they (media) are way too busy with me.

Q. After 65 personal CDs, another 50 collaborations, collaborations with famous artists and orchestras, productions and countless appearances all over the world, what you envision next?

A. After all those years I've had enough. So, I am interested in doing simple things which can be realized. I can see that as times change the youngest generation becomes distanced from good Greek song. I have couple things in mind, and I am going to do research to find ways to do it and people able to help with it. I am still concerned with the Greek song archives and would like to spend time on that. Megaro Mousikis might be able to help. I would also like to visit some university campuses in Greece, those having special groups of musicians, for research and analysis of the rembetiko song. Another thing that I am worried about while looking at people who want their children to get acquanted with songs, is to organize a Song Festival, according to how I understand it. Something like Kerkira's Competition, closed but important. No relation with the Thessaloniki Festival. It was clear for me that this one would fail, that's why I did not agree to participate.

What many people want from a singer - to please them, to sing and eat and shut up. But not all are like that. I might not have a status of some university professor or an athlete, but noone can forbid me to speak up my opinions on various issues such as the current situation in journalism or marketing practices of TV channels.

I am certainly poised to say those things at appropriate times, regardless of how I look: likeable or hateful. This is about my country, my city, my friends, my people... Unfortunately, all this junk around us results from that self-deceiving indifference and from that we are only able to talk about things considered glamorous, or about shaffling of journalists between the (TV) channels. We cannot make progress this way. This way is an american attitude - and I don't like it at all.

Q. Your dreams and goals have been always withing the music field. Have you ever thought about being involved in politics? You have always appeared as a politically charged man.

A. I am much involved in the politics. However, a person of my mentality who goes actively into the politics would need first to "trim" that political consciosness he has inside him. As it is being practiced, the politics is not for everyone. It requires having stomach, having room for flexibility, human emotions that will not restrict him too much. It is certainly a great art. It reqieres talent and persistance. But I could not be able to comply with a strict party line or with commands of a party leader. For these reasons I am not suitable for politics. I prefer to stay on the other side. I understand the value of possibilities to change things for which it is necessary to be there where decisions are made. But there is a category of people who can be close to the decisions without having official position or chair.

Q. It was however written about your spouse that she will be involved with PASOK during the next election campaign. Could you clarify at this point where you stand considering this possibility?

A. I think that Anna also agrees with my logic. But this would be an important decision which takes much consideration. Whatever would be her decision, my position will be total support.

Q. There was never been a time in your life when you had to work for money?

A. Never. When I started singing, I did it because I knew that this was the only thing I had to do. I immersed in it, and I felt completely rewarded, from childhood. I was never saying that I was doing something extraordinary - I was always saying: "I like it, I can master the same that others do, and I'll try to do it better". Those were difficult years, years of need - and I went into the music. But because of objections at home, I gave up and started doing other jobs earning five times as much. However, I came back into the music with much less money.

From Kathimerini 30.09.2006

Singer Dalaras UN goodwill ambassador

George Dalaras, who has been appointed goodwill ambassador for the UN High Commission for Refugees.

HELBI

Singer George Dalaras has always been popular for his songs of love, loneliness, struggles, war and peace, songs that have taken him around the world, taking us with him to all corners of the globe, geographically and ideologically. He has always put his soul into his singing and everything else he does. That is why we congratulate not only Dalaras but the UN High Commission for Refugees for its decision to declare him a goodwill ambassador at a time when there are more and more refugees and the commission's job has become much harder, needing the support and help of us all. Over his career Dalaras has filled concert halls, stadiums and theaters with his voice, often for charity, particularly in Cyprus and in Greek communities around the world. On Thursday, Dalaras, the artist, pacifist and humanitarian, will be officially inducted as UN High Commission for Refugees Goodwill Ambassador at a ceremony in the Old Parliament to be attended by President Karolos Papoulias.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/con...t.asp?aid=74855

and from ANA 27.09.2006

Dalaras will be one of seven Goodwill Ambassadors for the UN Refugee Agency in the world.

Following approval by UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres, Dalaras will be one of seven Goodwill Ambassadors for the UN Refugee Agency in the world.

A ceremony for the appointment of Greek singer George Dalaras as UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador will be held at the Old Parliament Building in Athens on the evening of October 5, in the presence of President of the Hellenic Republic Karolos Papoulias.

http://www.lgr.co.uk/news/greece/3073/geor...ill-ambassador/

A book-CD with 13 new songs written by Lefteris Papadopoulos, produced by Michalis Koubios and Giorgos Dalaras, will come into the stores by the end of October. The music for the songs is done by a team of composer of the newer generation. Within the singers which will participate will be Xaris Alexiou, Giorgos Dalaras, Vasilis Papakonstadinou, Dimitris Mitropanos, Pasxalis Terzis, Babis Stokas, Dimitris Basis and other.

The book-CD is called "Σπάει το Ρόδι" and it is the first of a line of CDs which will present more important Greek writers/poets.

http://www.musiccorner.gr/news/2006/0084.html

ANA - Friday 6th of October 2006

Singer Dalaras Greece's first UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador

Renowned Greek singer George Dalaras was officially proclaimed a Goodwill ambassador of the UN's High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) by UNHCR representative in Greece Karen Farkas, during a high-profile ceremony held in the Old Parliament building's auditorium on Thursday, in the presence of President Karolos Papoulias.

The famous singer is the first Greek to be given this title.

Dalaras is the sixth Good Will ambassador to be proclaimed by the UN's High Commission and he will join the others in the struggle to safeguard the institution of asylum and prevent exclusion in societies.

UNHCR started to work with Goodwill Ambassadors in the early 1980s, when British actors Richard Burton and James Mason were first appointed to make media statements and public appearances for the refugee cause.

Dalaras today joins five other UNHCR celebrity Goodwill Ambassadors with very different professional and personal backgrounds use their talents and time to advocate for refugees: American-Swedish classical signer Barbara Hendricks (named in 1987), Egyptian actor Adel Imam (2000), American actress Angelina Jolie (2001), Italian fashion designer and businessman Giorgio Armani (2002), and French singer/songwriter Julien Clerc (2003).

Goodwill Ambassadors communicate the message of respect and compassion for refugees to the general public in a uniquely powerful way; they capture massive public attention through public events, television shows, radio interviews and popular magazine articles. They effectively use their privileged access to mass media and other resources to give a voice to refugees, who are often victims of forgotten humanitarian crises and who often suffer from uninformed negative stereotyping. Goodwill Ambassadors also voice their support for refugees in meetings with world leaders, diplomats, teachers, national and community officials, as well as the public at large.

According to the UNHCR, George Dalaras has had a long association with the UN refugee agency. The Greek singing star first donated his services to the agency during its 50th anniversary celebrations in 2001, when he helped organise a spectacular World Refugee Day concert in the ancient Greek stadium at Delphi. Dalaras and American jazz singer Jocelyn B. Smith, accompanied by the Ossipov Russian Orchestra, performed the songs of world-acclaimed Greek composer, Mikis Theodorakis. Later in the year, Dalaras organised two more 50th anniversary concerts at the Herod Atticus Theatre at the foot of the Acropolis, where more than 9,000 people packed into the beautiful Athens venue to hear Dalaras and French soprano Emma Shapplin, accompanied by an orchestra and choir.

The concerts raised 230,000 euros for UNHCR programmes around the world.

In 2003, Dalaras took part in a UNHCR awareness and fund-raising campaign. He was one of an impressive group of musicians who sang on a complimentary CD released in February with Ta Nea newspaper's weekend magazine, Tahydromos. The CD and accompanying article directed readers to a special bank account opened by UNHCR to receive donations aimed at helping refugee children.

Dalaras, whose mother was a Greek refugee from Turkey, implored the Greek public to donate, saying that refugees "live with a pain, which as Euripides said is the greatest on earth: the loss of one's homeland. In this way, being children of refugees ourselves, we are doing nothing more today than remembering all of this with two songs."

The campaign raised more than 30,000 euros.

In 2004, Dalaras was invited to perform at the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games in Athens. With a global audience, he sang four songs, including one about the plight of the worlds refugees. The following year, Dalaras again supported World Refugee Day by recording radio and television spots on that years theme, ?Courage.?

http://www.lgr.co.uk/news/greece/3186/sing...ill-ambassador/

... and finally from UNHCR:

Greek singer George Dalaras named UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador

ATHENS, Greece, October 6 (UNHCR) Greek singing star and musician George Dalaras was officially proclaimed a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador during a glittering ceremony earlier this week in Athens.

President Karolos Papoulias and many other dignitaries looked on Thursday night as Dalaras was presented with a certificate marking his appointment in the Congress hall of the capital's old parliament building. The president later praised Dalaras and UNHCR for their work in helping refugees and urged the public to do more to support those who have lost home and homeland.

The appointment is recognition of Dalaras' artistic achievements, humanitarian qualities and his significant contribution to the work of UNHCR over the last five years. It also marks the beginning of a partnership in UNHCR efforts to protect and assist refugees and others under the agency's care.

"I am a little embarrassed as I consider these contributions to UNHCR self-evident as an artist and as a citizen. I accept this title not as an acknowledgement of what I have done, but as a commitment of what my family and I will continue doing," said a visibly moved Dalaras.

The popular 57-year-old musician, whose own mother was a Greek refugee from Asia Minor, also had some advice for the many politicians attending the ceremony. He said the country "needs a responsible state policy ... to tackle the acute problem of reception, care and asylum for refugees."

He then picked up a guitar and, accompanied by a piano, played a song composed by the famous Greek composer, Mikis Theodorakis, entitled "I open the door at night." He dedicated the performance to the world's refugees.

Earlier in the ceremony, a recorded message of welcome from Deputy High Commissioner Wendy Chamberlin was shown as well as a five-minute video with songs performed by the artist from benefit concerts for UNHCR.

Dalaras, who has played his distinctive style of Greek folk and blues music at concerts around the world, joins UNHCR's other Goodwill Ambassadors: Barbara Hendricks, Adel Imam, Angelina Jolie, Giorgio Armani and Julien Clerc.

He has had an impressive record of involvement with the refugee agency since playing several benefits concerts in 2001 to mark UNHCR's 50th anniversary. One of the concerts, in the atmospheric Herod Atticus Theatre at the foot of the Acropolis, raised 230,000 euros for UNHCR programmes around the world.

UNHCR Goodwill Ambassadors use their talents and time to advocate for refugees, communicating to the general public the message of respect and solidarity with those fleeing persecution and conflict in a uniquely powerful way. They effectively use their privileged access to media and influential members of civil society to give a voice to refugees.

Dalaras has drawn up an annual plan with UNHCR for a series of activities in Greece and around the world.

By Ketty Kehayioy

In Athens, Greece

http://www.unhcr.org/news/NEWS/4526726c4.html

Here is the Vivian's translation of my post in "Discussion about songs of George Dalaras".

"I would like to propose an idea to all of you that came in my mind,considering the above responds to this topic .

It is used in certain associations-community or teams when exists a demand, to collect signatures in order to forward them to the responsible person.

So my proposition is to all members and especially to the foreigns (considering the importance that their opinion has for G.Dalaras) to mention below if they wish an issue of such a collection that I have mentioned above.

I personally commit to inform Giorgos Dalaras for your request and your opinions regarding this release. (I would like to mention here that he has already be informed concerning the above list of songs.)

The marketability of such a collection probably it would be a major issue however I propose to kick off the procedure by giving our point of view. What is your opinion?"

:) I'd like to have an issue of this collection.

But, in no way, I want to 'stress' or 'push' Dalaras to do it. He is free to do what ever HE wants :)

Natalie:

There is a huge list of songs Dalaras performed over the years in concerts and TV programs, and members are very interested to see another Musiko kouti to be produced. (Most of them were not included in Cds because performed first by someone else).

However, due to predicted high costs of such a production (CD label company might have doubts about how it would sell, since the selling price woulld be also high), Thanasis offered to collect signatures including those from the forum - to help would-be producers in estimating the demand.

If I understood it correctly, I am participating (even in those parts I might have missed - but trust the members' good intentions :) )

A book-CD with 13 new songs written by Lefteris Papadopoulos, produced by Michalis Koubios and Giorgos Dalaras, will come into the stores by the end of October. The music for the songs is done by a team of composer of the newer generation. Within the singers which will participate will be Xaris Alexiou, Giorgos Dalaras, Vasilis Papakonstadinou, Dimitris Mitropanos, Pasxalis Terzis, Babis Stokas, Dimitris Basis and other.

The book-CD is called "Σπάει το Ρόδι" and it is the first of a line of CDs which will present more important Greek writers/poets.

http://www.musiccorner.gr/news/2006/0084.html

WoW

Anna

now this is one Album

I really look forward too hearing!!!!!

My only thing is I wonder why Parios, Kotsiras, Glykeria, & Marinella were not asked to contribute to this cd?

:wow:

Natalie:

There is a huge list of songs Dalaras performed over the years in concerts and TV programs, and members are very interested to see another Musiko kouti to be produced. (Most of them were not included in Cds because performed first by someone else).

However, due to predicted high costs of such a production (CD label company might have doubts about how it would sell, since the selling price woulld be also high), Thanasis offered to collect signatures including those from the forum - to help would-be producers in estimating the demand.

If I understood it correctly, I am participating (even in those parts I might have missed - but trust the members' good intentions :wow: )

:huh:

Hi Vitaly

am I too understand

there is talk about Dalaras issuing another

Music Box of greatest songs or songs never before released?

If thats in any case

please count me in too

no more convincing on my end.

I would buy another set

:music:

Hi, Christo:

My guess is that we should not get excited too early: the Forum community WISHES to see a new Music Box. Hopefully, democracy could work miracles in this aspect, who knows :wow:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead