Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Φάνης

7 posts in this topic

This song was mentionned in the forum a while ago because someone was looking for it. It's from the first album of Haris and Panos Katsimihas, "Ζεστά ποτά" ("Hot drinks").

There is an unforgetable version of it in the video of the gigantic concert that Dalaras gave for Cyprus in New York in 1994 - the Katsimihas brothers hold the stage and they are really taking it away and then suddenly, just before the last verse, a baglamas speaks, and it's Dalaras, and it's he who also sings the last verse.

I admit that until now I was so taken by the music (raw power) that I never paid attention to the lyrics.

Big mistake - now repaired.

Φάνης ___||___ Fanis

Φάνης_____||_____ Fanis

Στίχοι: Χάρης&Πάνος Κατσιμίχας_____||_____ Lyrics: Haris & Panos Katsimihas

Μουσική: Χάρης&Πάνος Κατσιμίχας_____||_____ Music: Haris & Panos Katsimihas

Ερμηνευτές: Χάρης&Πάνος Κατσιμίχας_____||_____ Sung by: Haris & Panos Katsimihas

Μετάφραση: Geeske_____||_____

Δυο χρόνια είχα να σε δω_____||_____ It had been two years since I had seen you last

Και σε συνάντησα ξανά μια Κυριακή_____||_____ and I met you again one Sunday

Κερνούσες ούζα και κονιάκ στο καφενείο_____||_____ You were standing rounds of ouzo and cognac at the café

Και τα καλά σου φόραγες σαν να τανε γιορτή_____||_____ and you were dressed up as for a holiday.

Δεν ήσουνα φαντάρος για να σου πω καλός πολίτης_____||_____ You hadn't been in the army, for me to call you a "good citizen"

Μα ούτε και που γιόρταζες για να σου πω χρονιά πολλά_____||_____ But neither was it your birthday or nameday, for me to tell you "many happy returns"

Τρελάδικο και φυλακή δυο χρόνια κι έξι μήνες_____||_____ Madhouse and jail for two years and six months

Ήπια το ούζο κι είπα γεια χαρά_____||_____ I drank the ouzo and said "good luck, good bye".

Το ξέρω ζήτησες δουλειά σε χίλια δυο αφεντικά_____||_____ I know you asked a thousand and two bosses for a job

Κι όλοι ζητούσανε να δουν συστάσεις, προϋπηρεσία_____||_____ and all of them demanded to see references, previous experience

Μα μόλις είδανε κι αυτοί πως είχες κίτρινο χαρτί_____||_____ but as soon as they too saw that you had that yellow card

Σε διώξανε σαν το σκυλί κι ούτε σ αφήσανε να πεις_____||_____ they kicked you out like a dog and never even let you voice

Μια δικαιολογία_____||_____ one justification

Και είπες στην αρχή καλά κι αλλού ζήτησες δουλειά_____||_____ And at first you would say "well all right" and go ask for work somewhere else

Κι αλλού ξανά κι αλλού τα ίδια και τα ίδια_____||_____ and somewhere else and somewhere else again it was the same again and again

Μα ήσουν άτυχος πολύ γιατί έπεσες και σ εποχή_____||_____ but you were too unlucky, because it also was just that time

Που όλοι σφίγγαν' το λουρί κι εσύ είχες κίτρινο χαρτί_____||_____ when everyone was tightening the reins and you, you had that yellow card

Κι αυτό το χρώμα ξέρεις φέρνει αλλεργία_____||_____ and that colour you know, it causes allergies

Κι ερχότανε κι ο πυρετός κάθε που νύχτωνε_____||_____ And the fever would come over you every time the night came on

Σε τυραννούσε καλοκαίρι και χειμώνα_____||_____ it tormented you summer and winter

Κι είναι μαρτύριο τρομερό το βίτσιο αυτό το βρομερό_____||_____ and it's a dreadful agony, that dirty vice

Που σου 'μαθε στη φυλακή _____||_____ which you were taught in jail

εκείνος ο ψηλός απ τη Δραπετσώνα_____||_____ by that tall guy from Drapetsona

σου λείπει η σκόνη η λευκή, το ξέρεις πως δεν φταις εσύ_____||_____ You miss it, that white dust, you know it's not your own fault

φωτιές σου καίνε το κορμί,_____||_____ the fires consume your body

κουτάλι και βελόνα_____||_____ the spoon and the needle

Και έκανες υπομονή γιατί φοβόσουν το κελί_____||_____ And you kept hanging on because you were afraid of the jail

Καλόπιανες τη μοναξιά και τον ασβέστη που πεφτε_____||_____ you courted loneliness and the chalk that came falling

Σαν χιόνι απ το ταβάνι_____||_____ like snow from the ceiling

Και μέχρι να σου βγει η ψυχή δεν θα ξεχάσεις μια στιγμή_____||_____ And until the day your soul leaves your body you will never forget a certain moment

Κάποια βραδιά στη φυλακή φωνές και κλάματα_____||_____ a certain night in jail, voices and crying,

Κι είπανε τ' άλλο το πρωί στο δεκαπέντε το κελί_____||_____ and next morning they said that in cell number fifteen

Ότι βίασαν οι παλιοί τον έφηβο το Φάνη_____||_____ the older inmates had raped that boy Fanis

Κι όταν σε βρήκαν παγωμένο στο κελί σου_____||_____ And when they found you frozen in your cell

Είπαν αυτός είναι απ ώρα πια νεκρός_____||_____ they said that one is as good as dead

Και κάποιος έτρεξε τηλέφωνο να πάρει_____||_____ and someone ran for the phone

Πέντε βδομάδες τώρα υπόφερες το ξέρω_____||_____ For five weeks now you have been suffering, I know,

Το ξέρω σου λειψε η σκόνη η λευκή_____||_____ I know you missed that white dust

Και μού 'λεγες εκεί ξανά δε θα γυρίσω_____||_____ and kept telling me "I shan't go back there again

Βαρέθηκα τις νύχτες τις λευκές_____||_____ I have had enough of those white nights

Σαν άνθρωπος κι εγώ θέλω να ζήσω_____||_____ I too want to live like a human being"

Δυο χρόνια είχα να σε δω_____||_____ It had been two years since I had seen you last

Και σε συνάντησα ξανά μια Κυριακή_____||_____ and I met you again one Sunday

Κερνούσες ούζα και κονιάκ στο καφενείο_____||_____ You were standing rounds of ouzo and cognac at the café

Και τα καλά σου φόραγες σαν να τανε γιορτή_____||_____ and you were dressed up as if it were a holiday.

Since this song was mentionned as a candidate for the coming Irodeio concerts, I polished up the translation a bit. This post is just to bring the topic "up" again.

Geske Great song

thanks for translating it

Tell me though

do you think the boy Fanis had died

in jail after he was raped

or did he come out of his frozen state and they released him soon afterwards as the song says

I say you dressed up one Sunday in the cafenio?

If not him, who else are they referring too then?

Christo, what confused you is the repetition of the first couplet at the end of the song. Chronologically, the story of Fanis is:

he was put in prison, got 'hooked' on heroin or something of the sort which another prisoner gave him,

when he was released he tried to find work, to be able to live honestly, and to get 'clean' of the drug - but no one would give him a job,

then comes that afternoon when he's standing rounds to everyone in the cafe, presumably one money that was not honestly come by.

Then he's put in prison again and then he dies.

This is a nice effort Geeske, and a great song. There are a couple of errors though that are worth correcting as I believe some members use these translations as a language resource.

1. Δεν ήσουνα φαντάρος για να σου πω καλός πολίτης_____||_____ You had been in the army, for me to call you a "good citizen"

Something seems to have gone wrong with this line but I expect it was just a slip of the keyboard. A more accurate translation would be something like You werent a soldier, for me to call you good citizen. Theres another nice translation of this song on the stixoi.info site (Fanis) that comes closer to this meaning and also gives some helpful background about this expression.

2. Κι όλοι ζητούσανε να δουν συστάσεις, προϋπηρεσία_____||_____ and all of them demanded to see references, antecedents

The use of the word antecedents is wrong here, at least in English English. In the case of work it is always experience or previous experience which is the meaning of προϋπηρεσία. Its possible that this is a US expression, but my Google search provided no evidence of this.

Thanks very much Kate!

The first was indeed a slip, the negative had "escaped" - I've edited it into the original post.

The "antecedents" must have crossed over from the French - I've edited in your suggestion, with thanks.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0