Followers 0
soc

Melodia FM

96 posts in this topic

(CD #10 )

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

...[the fashion of] compilation...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Exactly. I've been sparing with that, because I had contract terms by which I could refuse to allow the "compilations" [he uses the English word], as they are called in the language of the record industry - and I didn't want them. Little by little, in different ways, people have broken that [resolution of mine] as well. One friend here, one friend there... one composer who works with you, another who... well...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Now that you mention it, I'm thinking...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...I gave in, I too gave in a little bit, but I'm still strict, that is to say, Im holding out more than all the others. I do not want compilations released all the time.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Now that you mention it, I'm thinking...

(CD #11)

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

...As time goes on, and new things show up, and new tendencies... The possibility exists for the creation of a compilation on one theme - why not? This is something that, previously, we didn't... the idea hadn't come up, because the circumstances were different. But now that we have grown so rich, and this big production exists, what with, as you say, the two-three songs that stand out and are worth something, a compilations could become... The client - or the music-lover, to be more correct - not having the possibility to get all [the records], and choosing that...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

That too is a thing we have done. I've already done the compilations. I've done the Box [to mousiko kouti]... I've done the Blue and the Red [ta xromata tou xrono]... to get together old records... to include also recordings from the [45 rpm vinyl] singles...

Now look... let me tell you, let me open a little parenthesis here.

(CD #12)

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

’λλο είναι να έχεις πενήντα τραγούδια, και αυτά τα πενήντα τραγούδια να τα επανάλαμβάνεις εσαεί - και άλλο να έχεις, ας πούμε, στην περίπτωσή την δική μου, είκοσι τραγούδια του Λοΐζου, εξήντα τραγούδια του Κουγιουμτζή, τριάντα τραγούδια του Ξαρχάκου, πενήντα τραγούδια του Θεοδωράκη, τριάντα τραγούδια του Μαρκόπουλου, και από 'κεί και ύστερα, συλλογές με εκατό ρεμπέτικα, με τραγούδια για τον Τσιτσάνη, ξεχωριστές παραγωγές, με τραγούδια του Βαμβακάρη, με Σμυρνέϊκα τραγούδια.

Κοίτα τώρα τι γίνεται. Πρέπει να καταλάβουμε τι κάνει ο καθένας.

Εγώ έκανα πάρα πολλούς δίσκους. Έχεις δίκιο. Πολλούς δίσκους! Όλες όμως τις δουλειές, από την αρχή μέχρι σήμερα, έχουν ένα λόγο ύπαρξης. Και αυτό δεν είναι η προσωπική μου αντίληψη. Είναι η αντίληψη που έχω για το φάσμα της δουλειάς μου.

Κάποιος, που δεν του αρέσει η φωνή μου, που δεν του αρέσουν οι επιλογές μου, μπορεί να πει «ΓΙΑΤΙ τόσα πολλά τραγούδια;».

Εγώ λοιπόν δεν είχα τίποτα άλλο να κάνω στην ζωή μου. Μπήκα στο τραγούδι. Δεν έκανα ούτε εμπόριο, ούτε αρώματα έβγαλα, ούτε μπουτίκ με ρούχα έχω, ούτε διαφημίσεις κάνω διαφόρων ειδών, είτε ρουχισμού, είτε τροφίμων, για να έχω έσοδα.

Κάνω την δουλειά μου.

Η δουλειά μου είναι: το τραγούδι, οι συναυλίες, οι παραγωγές, οι καινούργιοι καλλιτέχνες... Δεν ξέρω αν θα έπρεπε να με συγκρίνεις με τον ίδιο τρόπο με άλλους - όχι εσύ, οποιοσδήποτε! - με επώνυμους... πολλοί καλλιτέχνες, οι οποίοι έχουν κάνει δεκάδες τραγούδια, οι οποίοι στην ουσία είναι θεόφαλτσοι! Δεν τραγουδάνε.

Ούτε τραγούδησαν ποτέ. Πούλησαν στυλ. Μερικές γυναίκες πούλησαν... ... ... σεξ. Μερικές πούλησαν μαγκιά. ’λλες πούλησαν άλλους είδους ανατροπές. Μερικοί έλληνες τραγουδιστές, φίρμες, μεγάλες, χρόνια, δεκαετίες... πουλήσανε γαμπριλίκι στην αγορά, πουλήσανε διαφορά πράγματα. Και είναι ακόμα παρόντες.

Αυτά... είχε υπ' όψιν, Ξενοφώντα, κάποια στιγμή... εκ των πραγμάτων! γιατί κλείνουν οι κύκλοι! όλα αυτά, αύριο ή μεθαύριο, θα βγούνε. Θα φανούνε. Και τι είναι ο καθένας. Τι έκανε. Τι μπόρεσε. Τι άφησε.

Λοιπόν. Δυστυχώς είμαστε σε μια εποχή που είναι όλα μπερδεμένα γλυκιά μεταξύ τους. Και αυτή την συζήτηση δεν ξεκίνησε για να κάνουμε την αναφορά μας στο «τι έκανα εγώ». Ενδεχομένως, έχω κάνει πάρα πολλά, είναι πράγματα που τα λέω μόνος μου, πριν το πεις εσύ. Εσύ, ας πούμε, μου το λες τυχαία, τώρα, μια περιστασιακή κουβέντα-συνάντηση που κάναμε, και μου λες «μεγάλες παραγωγές... πολλές... πώς το λες αυτό; Αφού εσύ κάνεις πολλά;» Το έχω πει αυτό που λέμε, εικοσιπέντε χρόνια, μόνος μου.

Ενδεχομένως καθυστέρηση εικοσιπέντε χρόνια να αντιληφθείς ότι έκανα πάρα πολλά πράγματα. Και αυτό, το τραβάω εγώ, το λέω και συνεχώς, το βάρος. Κάνω κάποια πράγματα, κάποιες επιλογές, οτιδήποτε! πού θα πάω να τραγουδήσω, ποιόν καλλιτέχνη θα επιλέξω, σε ποιόν χώρο θα πάω, με ποια ορχήστρα θα δουλέψω, με ποιο σχήμα θα δουλέψω, σε ποια πόλη θα το κάνω... Όλα αυτά κατά καιρούς δημιουργούν ένταση. Και μετά από τρία, πέντε, καμιά φορά και δέκα χρόνια, έρχονται και καταλαβαίνουνε και «α... τώρα καταλάβαμε γιατί το έκανες αυτό».

Η δική μου περίπτωση δεν είναι ίδια. Γι' αυτό και προκαλεί. Είναι μια άλλη περίπτωση, μέσα στο πακέτο και στην κονσέρβα των περιπτώσεων. Εκ των πραγμάτων δεν μπορώ να μπω μέσα σ' αυτή την διαδικασία.

Θα δούμε τι κάνει ο καθένας. Και θα δούμε στο τέλος, αφού ζυγίσουμε, με τα σωστά ζύγια, το «τι έκανε ο καθένας σ' αυτή την διαδρομή».

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ωραία... ε...

Ο Αντώνης μας κάνει νόημα, έχουμε ειδήσεις από τον Sky...

(CD #12)

*** Giorgos Dalaras

It's one thing to have fifty songs, and those fifty, to re-hash them until the end of time - and it's another thing to have, let's say, to take my own case, twenty songs by Loizos, sixty by Kougioumtzis, thirty by Ksarhakos, fifty by Theodorakis, thirty by Markopoulos, and after that, to have selections of a hundred rembetika, with Tsitsanis songs, special productions, with Vamvakaris songs, with Smyrneika.

Now look what happens. We need to see what everyone is [really] doing.

I really did make a very [or: too] many of records. You are right. Many records! Every one, though, from the beginning until today, has had an [essential] reason for existing. And that is not my personal perception. It's how I conceive the spectrum that my work covers.

Someone who does not like my voice, who does not like my choices, might say: «WHY so many songs?».

Well, I never had anything else to do in my life. I went into song. I didn't do any commercial activity, no selling of perfumes, no clothing boutique, I don't do any kind of advertising, not of clothing, not of foodstuffs, to add to my income.

I do my job.

My job is: song, [it is] the concerts, the productions, the new singers... I don't know if you can compare me, in the same way, with other [singers] - I don't mean you, anyone! - with other singers, famous ones, many of them, who have made dozens of songs, but who, in fact, are just hellishly out of tune! They can't sing.

They never did sing. They just sold a style. Some of the women sold... ... ... sex. Some sold the bully-style. Some sold other kinds of depravation. Some Greek singers, established names, big ones, for years, for decades... [just] sold their charms on the marketplace, they sold just about anything. And they are still there.

All that... Keep in mind, Ksenofon, that at some point... by the very nature of things! Because the circles do close! All that, tomorrow or the day after, will go. Things will come out. What each one [really] is. What they did. What they were capable of. What they left behind.

So. Bad luck, we live in a time when everything is sweetly mixed up together. And this conversation didn't start out with the aim that we should make up our report on "what I have accomplished". It's quite probable that I've done very/too much, those are things I've been saying myself, before you said so. You said so, as it were, by accident, just now, [in this] incidental conversation-meeting that we are having, and you tell me "huge productions... to much... How can you say so? Since you're doing it yourself?". But me, I've been saying what we are talking about now for twenty-five years, all by myself.

So you're probably twenty-five years late in remarking that I've done very/too many things. And that, that weight, I'm always dragging it around, I say so all the time. I do certain things, I make choices - anything! - where I'll go to sing, which artist to chose [for collaboration], which place, which orchestra to work with, in which city... All of these, at times, generate tension. And [then] after three, five, sometimes even ten years, they come and understand and "ah... now we realised what you did that for".

My own case is not the same [as the others']. That's why it is also provocating. It's a different case, among [all] the pre-packaged and canned ones. By the very nature of things I am not able to take part in that process.

We'll see what each one accomplishes. And we'll see it at the end, when we weigh, with the true weights, "what each accomplished on this trip".

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Good. Eh...

Antonis is signalling, we've got the news coming up from Sky...

[Translator's note: the "very/too" that I'm using here reflects the ambiguity of the Greek language, that "para poly" means either "very much", or "too much", or both.]

(CD #13) Ορχηστικό [CUT Ειδήσεις]

(CD #14)

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Εδώ είμαστε και πάλι για την δεύτερη ώρα, είναι ζωντανή η εκπομπή, είναι ο Μελωδία 99.2, ο Γιώργος Νταλάρας μαζί μας, ο Αντώνης Κύρηνας στον ήχο... και, επειδή μιλάμε πολύ, ν' ακούσουμε και λίγο απ' τα «τραγούδια που σου γράφω».

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Ναι... εγώ προτιμώ να μιλάμε πολύ, πάρα ν' ακούμε. Έχουμε ώρες ν' ακούμε. Να μιλάμε δεν έχουμε.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

[Γελώντας] Ένταξη! Όμως ας ακούμε ένα τραγούδι που μ' αρέσει, είναι το «Επτά φορές».

(CD #15) Τραγούδι: «Επτά φορές»

(CD #16)

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Λοιπόν... τραγούδι: «Επτά φορές», Στάμου Σέμση και Γιώργου Παυριανού, που έχουνε και δύο μπαλάντες - ας το πούμε έτσι - μέσα στο δίσκο, που είναι για μένα τα πολύ αγαπημένα μου.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Είναι πολύ ωραία τραγούδια.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Το «Βραδιές με ακτινοβολία» και το «Να με θυμάσαι» είναι από τα διαμάντια, έτσι, της δισκογραφίας σου.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Έχω πάρει πολύ... έτσι... πολλά μηνύματα γι' αυτά τα τραγούδια του Στάμου και του Γιώργου του Παυριανού. Επίσης έχω πάρει μηνύματα για τα τραγούδια του Στέργιου του Γαργάλα, κυρίως για το «Μόνος»...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

...το «Μόνος» που είναι...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...μου κάνει εντύπωση - θα προλάβουμε να τ' ακούσουμε, έτσι δεν είναι;

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Βεβαίως.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Και βέβαια για τα τραγούδια του Αντώνη τα όποία είναι πολιορκητικός κριός, τα τραγούδια του Αντώνη!

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Χε χε... Ναι!

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Ο Αντώνης, όπως ξέρεις, είναι ένας πολύ έμπειρος άνθρωπος, δηλαδή έχει εντρυφήσει απ' την μία μεριά στην rock σκηνή και στην pop, και απ' την άλλη στον Καλδάρα και στα λαϊκά τραγούδια. Κι έχει την δυνατότητα να γράφει απίστευτα τραγούδια. Όποτε θέλεις, ό,τι του ζητήσεις, στο έχει, και μάλιστα με τον καλύτερο τρόπο.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Πόσο εύκολο είναι να... να βρεις ρεπερτόριο για έναν καινούριο δίσκο; Είναι εύκολο, τόσο;

(CD #13 ) Short instrumental break [News CUT by me]

(CD #14)

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Here we are again, the second hour [Translator's note: half-hour actually], we're live on the air at Melodia 992, Giorgos Dalaras is [here] with us, Antonis Kirinas at the sound... and, since we are talking a lot, let's listen a little, as well, to some of the "songs I write for you".

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Well... I'd rather we talked a lot, rather that listen. We've got hours and hours for listening. But not to talk, we haven't.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

[Laughing] All right! But let's listen [at least] to one song I like, which is "Epta fores" [seven times]

(CD #15) Song: "Epta fores" (Seven times)

(CD #16)

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

So... song: "Seven times", by Stamos Semsis and Giorgos Pavrianos, who also have two ballads - let's call them that - in the records, which are among my most favourites.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

They are very nice songs.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

"Vradies me actinovolia" [Radiant nights] and "Na me thimasai" [Remember me] count among the, well, the diamonds of your discography.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I got many... like... a lot of messages about those songs of Stamos and Giorgos, Giorgos Pavrianos. Likewise I got responses to Stergios' songs, Stergios' Gargalas', especially about "Monos" [Alone]...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

..."Monos" is a...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

... it's quite impressive - we'll manage to listen to it, won't we?

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Of course!

*** Giorgos Dalaras

And of course, [a great response] to the songs [written] by Antonis - they are a battering ram, you know, Antonis' songs!

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

He he... Yes!

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Antonis, you know, is a man of wide experience, that is, he's found his way on the one hand in the rock and pop scene, and on the other into Kaldaras and the laïko songs. And he's capable of writing unbelievable songs. Whenever you want, whatever you ask him, he's got it for you, and of the best quality at that.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

How easy is it to... to find the repertoire for a new record? Is as easy as that?

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Πόσο εύκολο είναι να... να βρεις ρεπερτόριο για έναν καινούριο δίσκο; Είναι εύκολο, τόσο;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Δεν είναι... ε... Θα μπορούσε να είναι, αλλά φαντάζομαι ότι πια στις μέρες μας πια δεν είναι εύκολο. Δεν είναι εύκολο.

Οι καλοί συνθέτες, και οι συνθέτες που έχουνε δυνατότητες, είναι λίγοι. Υπάρχουν ορισμένοι «φασονίστες» που γράφουν καλές μελωδίες: υποφέρουν στο στίχο, δυστυχώς. Λίγοι άνθρωποι γράφουν καλά τραγούδια αποτελεσματικά.

Και επίσης έγινε τόσο πολύ η δουλειά μας τώρα... τόσο πολυπρόσωπη, τόσες πολλές ανάγκες πια έχει η δισκογραφία, τόσα πολλά πρόσωπα τραγουδάνε, τόσο πιο πολλοί γράφουνε, συνθέτουνε, που χάθηκε αυτή η... η καλή ομάδα ανθρώπων που είχαν έναν κοινό στόχο, κι ο καθένας προσπαθούσε με καλή άμμιλα να ξεπεράσει τον άλλον σε πρωτοτυπία. Τώρα προσπαθεί ο ένας να περάσει τον άλλον σε κοινοτυπία, να πει, δηλαδή, τριμμένα πράγματα.

Και αυτό έχει... αυτό το κακό αποτέλεσμα που λέγαμε: υπερπαραγωγή μετρίων τραγουδιών.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Βάζεις στόχους... βάζεις δυσκολίες στον εαυτό σου; Βάζεις εμπόδια; Για να ξεπερνάς;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Βάζω...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Κάνεις, δηλαδή, αυτό που λέμε ότι «θα πάω εδώ έτσι για να μου πετύχει, θα πάω σίριζα, θα πάω στη κόψη;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Βάζω εμπόδια. Και νομίζω ότι αυτά τα εμπόδια, τα φορτώνονται οι συνεργάτες μου. Δηλαδή...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

[Ακούγεται να κοιτάει τον Νταλάρα με κάτι σαν απορία. Έπειτα γελάει]

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Ναι! Δηλαδή γίνομαι δύσκολος συνεργάτης γι' αυτούς. Γιατί αυτοί πιστεύουν ότι εγώ, θα μπορούσα να είμαι ένας τραγουδιστής ο οποίος να κληθεί, να τραγουδήσει μια δεκάδα τραγουδιών, κι «ασ' τα, τα άλλα θα τα λάβομε εμείς!». Ενδεχομένως να συμβαίνει αυτό. Αλλά συμβαίνει σε τραγουδιστές, για μένα, που θα 'πρεπε... ε... να έχουν ως κύριο μέλημα της ζωής τους: το κέντρο τους, το ταμείο τους, την τσέπη τους, το χτένισμά τους, τον... την αμπιγιέζ τους, τον μάνατζερ - ή πατέρα-τζερ - που τους καθορίζει το πού θα πάνε, και βεβαίως ένα κομμωτή, δεν ξέρω τι άλλο, έναν άνθρωπο για να τους βουρτσίζει και την ώρα της δουλειάς και για να του λέει ένα «γεια σου ρε μεγάλε».

Δεν είμαι εγώ αυτής της κατηγορίας. Εγώ έχω απορίες, και δεύτερη και τρίτη αντάμωση σε οτιδήποτε.

Καταρχήν εμένα δεν μ' αρέσει καθόλου αυτή η ... αυτή η καινούργια παρτίδα τώρα, και η καινούργια νοοτροπία των... πώς διαφημίζουν τα τραγούδια στα ραδιόφωνα.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

How easy is it to... to find the repertoire for a new record? Is as easy as that?

*** Giorgos Dalaras

It's not... Eh... It might be, but I think that these days, it isn't easy any more. Not easy.

The good composers, the composers with abilities, are few. There are some "genre-writers" who write good melodies: but they suffer from [insufficiently good] lyrics, sadly. Effectively, there are few people who write good songs.

And besides, our line of work has become so... so crowded with personalities, and the record industry has so many requirements, so many people sing, so many more write, compose, that what... what disappeared is that good team of people who had common objective, and each [of whom] was trying, in a kind of supportive rivalry, to surpass the other in originality. Nowadays each is trying to surpass the other in being alike, I mean, they're grinding out things.

And this... this has the evil consequence we were talking about: an overproduction of second-rate songs.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Do you set objectives... do you set yourself difficult things [to do]? Obstacles [to get over]? To reach farther?

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I do...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

I mean, do you say, to put it this way, "I'll go here, to accomplish that, I'll go to the extreme, I'll walk the razor's edge?"

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I do set [myself] obstacles. And I feel that those obstacles, it's those who work with me who feel their weight. I mean...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

[You can hear him looking at Dalaras in some surprise. Then he laughs]

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Really! Because I turn into a difficult person to work with, for them. Because they, they believe that I might be any singer who gets summoned to sing ten songs or so, and "let be, we'll take care of the rest!". Probably, that kind of thing does happen. But it happens for singers who, according to me, should... eh... should have as the main concern in their life: their 'kentro' [= the club where they sing], their cash-desk, their dresser [he says "habilleuse", the Greek word is French], their manager - or their papa-ger - who arranges for them where they are to go, and of course their hairdresser, I don't know what else, someone to brush them up when it's time to go to work, and send them off with a "there you go, wonderful".

Me, I'm not of that kind. I question everything, I have second - and third - thoughts about everything.

To begin with, I do like, at all, this... this new deal there is now, this new mentality of... [Take] the way they advertise songs on the radio.

[Translator's note: a typical Dalaras play on words; mana = mama, mother, in Greek, and as the manager often does "mother" the artist, he coins the term "papager" for a male, or fatherly, or maybe a patriarchal manager.]

(*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Καταρχήν εμένα δεν μ' αρέσει καθόλου αυτή η ... αυτή η καινούργια παρτίδα τώρα, και η καινούργια νοοτροπία των... πώς διαφημίζουν τα τραγούδια στα ραδιόφωνα.)

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αυτό που λέγαμε πριν, για το... με τις ατάκες, έτσι;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Ναι... «Πάρτε», λέει, «πάρτε ένα τραγουδάκι, το οποίο αυτό θα είναι, δεν θα δώσετε τίποτα άλλο, μέχρι να βγει ο δίσκος, και αυτό το τραγούδι θα το κάνουμε, θα το χτυπήσουμε!» λέει, «να σπάσει!», «να τρυπήσει!»... ακούω κάτι χυδαιότητες! ...«να τρυπήσει!», λέει, «και να βγει στον κόσμο», λέει... ακούω κάτι απίστευτα πράγματα! Ανθρώπους πραγματικά που τους θεωρώ τουλάχιστον αφελείς, για να μην πω τυχάρπαστους... τουλάχιστον αφελείς, που πιστεύουν ότι έτσι πρέπει να λειτουργεί το τραγούδι σήμερα επειδή, λέει «τα μέσα είναι κλειστά, κι ο καθένας στην δυνατότητα...»

Δηλαδή, με συγχωρείς; Είσαι παραγωγός - τι πρέπει να κάνεις; ν' αποκτήσεις ιδιαίτερες σχέσεις, διαπλεκόμενες, με κάποιον εκπρόσωπο μιας εταιρίας, για να του παίζεις το τραγούδι που του γουστάρει εκείνου ή της φίλης του;

Δεν το καταλαβαίνω αυτό το πράγμα. Δεν έπρεπε ο δίσκος να βγαίνει και ν' αποφασίσει ο κόσμος ποιο τραγούδι του αρέσει και ποιο όχι; Είναι δυνατόν να έχει βγει ο δίσκος αυτός, τώρα, ένα μήνα, ενάμισι, και να μην μπορούμε να παίξουμε τα τραγούδια μας όπως θέλουμε στον κόσμο, και να καθορίζονται από τις απόψεις κάποιων ανθρώπων που λέει... «όχι» λέει, «θα παίζετε αυτό!» λέει, «παίξτε το σαράντα φορές αυτό, και θα σας πω εγώ πότε θα παίξω το δεύτερο»;

Εγώ, αυτά τα πράγματα, τα θεωρώ ΜΙΖΕΡΙΑ. Και στη διαφήμιση, και κυρίως στη τραγουδοποιία. Αν πρέπει έτσι να συνεχίσει...

Ας συνεχίσει. Τι να κάνω... Εγώ θα είμαι μονίμως κόντρα σ' αυτή την διαδικασία.

(*** Giorgos Dalaras

To begin with, I do like, at all, this... this new deal there is now, this new mentality of... [Take] the way they advertise songs on the radio.)

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

[You mean] what we were talking about earlier, with the... the attacks? All that?

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Yes... "Take it", they say, "Take this song, and this is the song it's going to be, you won't give [them] anything else, until the record comes out, and that song, we are going to make it! To beat it in!", so they say, "big break!", "drill it in!"... the disgusting stuff I hear sometimes! "Drill it in" indeed! I've been hearing some incredible things. [These are] people who, really, in my opinion, are at least naive, I don't want to call them "fortune hunters"... at least naive, who believe that this is the way in which singing has to function, nowadays, as, the way they put it "the media are inaccessible, each [take] what they can...".

Meaning - excuse me? [suppose] you are a [radio] producer - what are you supposed to do? To cultivate special relationships, privileged give-and-take ties [Translator's note: he means corruption], with some record-company representative, for you to play him the song he likes - he or his girlfriend?

I can't understand this thing. Should not the record come out, and the public decide [for themselves] which song they like and which they don't? Is it possible that a record is out, now, for a month, a month and a half, and that we are allowed to play our songs the way we want to, that they should be bound by limits set by the opinions of people who say... "no", they say, "that's the one you'll play!", they say, "play that one, forty times, and I'm the one who will tell you when you will play the second [song]"?

For me, those things, they are MISERABLE. In advertising, but most of all for song-making. If that's the way things have to go...

Well, let them. What can I do... I'll away be against this process.

(CD #17 )

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αυτό συμπεριλαμβάνει και ό,τι σου έλεγα προηγουμένως για το «Προαίσθημα», πού... στην αρχή, πού άκουγα μόνο το ρεφρέν, είχα άλλη γνώμη για το τραγούδι, απ' ό,τι όταν το άκουσα ολόκληρο...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Κοίταξε, αυτή είναι...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

...το οποίο έχει ένα ενδιαφέρον και κλιμακώνεται, και...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Σαφώς!

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

...είναι άλλο τραγούδι ολοκληρωμένος.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Αυτή η ιστορία πάλι με την ρεφρενοποιήση, είναι μια μόδα που ξεκίνησε απ' τα «ολάδικα» της Θεσσαλονίκης - έτσι τα λέγαμε εκείνα, πριν από δεκαπέντε χρόνια - και προχώρησε στην κατασκευή τραγουδιστών οι οποίοι είναι «ολιστές», όπως είναι οι γιατροί!

[Ακούγονται και οι δυο να χαμογελάνε]

Λοιπόν... Βλέπουνε τον κόσμο στα μάτια, και δε «θα σου κάνω μία... θα σου κάνω ένα πέρασμα τώρα, ένα γλείψιμο από πάνω, και να στα καλύψω όλα». «Τι θέλεις, νησιώτικο; Πάρ' το!» Δυο ρεφρέν από ένα νησιώτικο. «Τι θέλεις; Καψούρικο; Παρ' το! Τι θέλεις; Ζεϊμπεκιά; Παρ' την».

Αυτό το πράγμα, εγώ το θεωρώ σιχαμένο, για την ελληνική μουσική. Προσβλητικό και γι' αυτούς που γράφουν τραγούδια, και γι' αυτούς που γράφουν στίχους.

Εν πάση περιπτώσει, αυτή είναι η αντίληψη.

(CD #17 )

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

This ties in with what I was saying to you earlier, about "To Proaisthima", which... in the beginning, when I heard only the chorus, I had a different opinion of the song than when I heard it end to end...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Look, that's a...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

...when it is [a song with] something interesting, and rising to a climax...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Definitely!

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

... heard as a whole, it's a different song.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

This whole story with the "chorusism", that's a fashion that started from the "oladika" in Thessaloniki - that's we used to call them, fifteen years ago - and it has progressed so far as to produce singers who are "olists" [=holists], like the doctors!

[They both laugh]

So.... We look the public in the eye, and hey "I'll do you a... I'll take a walk now, I'll catch your fancy from up here, I'll show you everything". "What do you want, a nisiotiko? Catch!" And two choruses from a nisiotiko. "You, what do you want? Kapsouriko? Catch! What do you want? Zeibekia? Catch!"

That thing, I think it's sickening, for Greek music. It's demeaning, both for those who write songs and for those who write lyrics.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

(CD #18)

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Γι' αυτό θα έλεγα... Επειδή είναι οι δικές μου απόψεις, Ξενοφώντα, δεν θ' αλλάξουν, ό,τι και να γίνει. Είμαι πια πολύ μεγάλος για ν' αλλάξω.

Κι αυτοί που φοβούνται, κι αυτοί που αισθάνονται προδομένοι, με την απόφασή μου να πάω να δουλέψω σ' ένα νυχτερινό κέντρο...

Έλα ρε παιδιά, χαλαρώστε λίγο! Έκανα εγώ μεγάλη προσπάθεια αν χαλαρώσω, τριανταπέντε χρόνια! Δεν χαλαρώνετε εσείς;

Το έκανα για πάρα πολλούς λόγους.

Το έκανα για να μην λένε ό,τι δεν τους καταδέχομαι. Χρειαζόταν να το κάνω. Υπήρχαν άνθρωποι που μου έλεγαν «έλα λίγο κοντά μας!». Το έκανα στην Ιερά Οδό, το έκανα και στο Ζυγό...

Το κάνω και σ' έναν άλλο χώρο, ο οποίος είναι μεγάλος και ενδεχομένως αυτός ο χώρος δεν θα γίνει σκυλάδικο, ούτε νυχτερινό κέντρο after. Δεν μπορεί να γίνει τριών χιλιάδων θέσεων μαγαζί. Όποιος νομίζει ότι θα κάνει τέτοιο, ακόμα και αυτός που το κατασκεύασε, κάνει λάθος.

Αυτός ο χώρος είναι χώρος συναυλιακός, και πρέπει να κερδισθεί. Και όταν μεγαλώσει και χωράνε πια έξη χιλιάδες άνθρωποι - γιατί αυτός ο χώρος θα διπλασιαστεί σε λίγο - θα μπορούμε να κάνουμε σημαντικές μουσικές εκδηλώσεις.

Να γιατί πήγα εκεί.

Τον Ρέμο τον διάλεξα γιατί είναι κάλος τραγουδιστής. Έχει ωραία φωνή, είναι πολύ λαϊκός τραγουδιστής.

Κι εγώ θα ήθελα ΠΟΛΥ να τον επηρεάσω, και να τον δεις να τραγουδήσει λαϊκά τραγούδια, με χρώμα λαϊκό. Το ότι... επειδή είναι νεότερος, έτσι - είναι τριανταπέντε χρονών - και... ε, επηρεάζεται και αυτός λίγο απ' το pop. Θα ήθελα εγώ να τον επηρεάσω να τραγουδάει λαϊκά τραγούδια. Είναι καλός ο Ρέμος, δεν είναι τυχαίος. Έτσι.

Έκανα λοιπόν τις επιλογές μου.

Μην καίγεστε! Και μην φοβόσαστε! Και μην αισθάνεστε προδομένοι!

Και δεν μπορώ ούτε κι εγώ να κάνω κάτι που θα προδώσει κυρίως τις ΔΙΚΕΣ μου αρχές, όχι τις δικές σας. Δεν πρόκειται ποτέ να με δείτε σε κάτι που θα νομίζετε ότι...

Ενδεχομένως, ναι, δεν μπορείς να τα ελέγξεις όλα. Κάποιοι αισθάνονται άσχημα... σου λέω τώρα... αν χορεύουνε τσιφτετέλια και λοιπά... Δεν πειράζει!

Εγώ τα γεμίζω τα μαγαζιά; Εσείς τα γεμίζετε! Εσείς οι ίδιοι που λέτε για μένα ότι αισθάνεστε λίγο προδομένοι... κάποιοι απ' αυτούς... έτσι... ακροατές του Μελωδία, ή κάποιοι φίλοι, που... που μου τα λένε:

Μου λένε «μα τι έγινε; τι άλλαξε;»

Δεν άλλαξε τίποτα!

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Όχι ακροατές του Μελωδία, να σου πω εδώ, που μ' έπαιρναν τηλέφωνο όλη την εβδομάδα που το έλεγα: ότι πρέπει να γίνει δίωρη εκπομπή, διότι «σε μια ώρα τι θα πείτε;».

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Έτσι!

Δεν άλλαξε λοιπόν τίποτα.

Εγώ είμαι εδώ. Και τις απόψεις μου της έχω. Και πρέπει να ξέρετε ότι δεν γίνεται να τα περιμένετε όλα απ' την γραβάτα - βάλτε και κανένα κουστούμι, που λέει και το αστείο. Δεν μπορούν ΌΛΑ να τα περιμένουν από έναν!

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ναι, ναι!

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Εγώ είχα μια παρόρμηση. Αισθάνθηκα καλά. Είπα: θα πάω να κάνω... φέτος, να διασκεδάσω λίγο, να δω.

Βεβαίως, υπάρχουν και δύσκολα πράγματα, δεν είναι όλα ευχάριστα. Υπάρχουν και λίγο περίεργα. Υπάρχουν όμως και καλά! Έρχεται ο κόσμος που μου λέει: «σ' ευχαριστούμε που ήρθες κοντά μας!».

Θα τα δούμε. Σε δυο μήνες, που θα τελειώσει αυτή η ιστορία... Γιατί αυτό είναι! Μην νομίζετε ότι θα πάει παραπάνω, αυτό είναι.

Δεν είναι η δουλειά μου να ξενυχτάω μέχρι τέσσερις η ώρα. Εγώ μόλις περνάει δυόμισι η ώρα, λέω... «πάμε να φύγουμε!» Έτσι είναι. Θα κάτσω όμως να υποστηρίξω αυτή την επιλογή μου μέχρι εκεί. Και από ύστερα θα ξέρει ο κόσμος, και θα δει αργότερα τι θα κάνω - απλώς, μην ΒΙΑΖΟΝΤΑΙ! Γιατί βιάστηκαν και πάρα πολλοί, και συνάδελφοι, καλοί και συμπαθητικοί...

(CD #18)

*** Giorgos Dalaras

That's why I would say... As they are my own views, Ksenofon, they will not change, whatever happens. I'm too old to change.

And those who are afraid, and those who feel betrayed, by my decision to go and work in a 'nyhterino kentro'...

Come on guys, relax! I've made a big enough effort to be relaxing myself, after thirty-five years! Aren't you going to let up?

I did it for a great many reasons.

I did it so that would not [be able to] say that I won't deign come to them. It was necessary for me to do it. There were people telling me: "come closer to us!" I did that in Iera Odo, I did it again in Zygos...

I'm doing it again [now] in another place, a large one, and one which is not likely to turn into a skyladiko, not even a nyhterino kentro 'after' [Translator's note: he uses the English word, to mean "after our show"]. Whoever thinks that, even if he's the one who set [the place] up, is making a mistake.

That place is a concert hall, and it should be valued [as such]. And after it's enlarged, when it will hold six thousand people - because soon, that place is going to double its size - we will be able to hold significant musical events there.

Now you know why I went.

[As for] Remos - I chose him because he is a good singer. He's got a good voice, he is a very laiko singer.

And want VERY much to have some influence on him, that you may see him singing laika songs, with the laiko colouring. The fact that... Since he is younger, well - he's thirty-five - and... well, he's influenced, some, by pop music. My wish is to get him to sing laika. Remos [really] is good, not [just] lucky. So.

So, I have made my choices.

Don't get up a fever! And don't be afraid! And don't feel betrayed!

And [realize that] I, myself, would be quite incapable of doing a thing that would betray, in the first place my OWN principles, not yours. It's not going to happen, you'll never see me doing a thing that you think...

All right, so you probably can't control every bit of it. Some do feel bad... so I'm telling you know... what if they dance tsiftetelia and so on... It doesn't matter!

Am I the one who fills up the magazia? You, you are the ones who fill them! You, yourselves, who say about me that you feel rather betrayed... some of you do... like... some listeners of Melodia, or some friends, who... who tell me so.

They say to me: "but what happened? What has changed?"

Nothing has changed!

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Not the listeners of Melodia, they don't, I can tell you at this point, they were ringing me up all week when I said [you were coming, to tell me]: that it ought to be a two-hour programme, because "in one hour, what will you say?".

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Right!

So, nothing has changed.

Here I am. And my opinions, I hold them. And you must know that it's not feasible, don't expect all of everything from the neck-tie - you might put on suit of some kind, as the joke has it.

Don't expect EVERYthing from one person!

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Yes, right!

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I had this [sudden] impulse. I was feeling well, I said: I'll go and... this year, I'll go and have some fun, just to see.

Of course, there are difficult things about it, too, it's not all fun. And some rather weird things. But there are the good things! People come and say to me "thank you for coming to us!"

We'll see. In two months, when this thing ends... Because that's what it is! Don't you think it will go any further, that's it.

It's not my job to stay up all night, until four in the morning. Me, as soon as it gets later than half past two, I say... "let's go home!". That's how it is. But I'll stay with it, so far as to uphold this choice I made. And from then on, people will know, and they will see, later, what I will do - simply, don't HURRY! Because lots of people hurried [to criticize], colleagues too, good ones, sympathetic ones...

(CD #19)

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...βιάστηκαν να με κρίνουνε. Μίλησαν για τα λάβαρα και λοιπά... Τα λάβαρα, δεν μου τα έδωσε κανείς! Εγώ δεν πήρα καμιά σημαία καμιάς ομάδας να πάω να την ανεμίσω! Το λάβαρο, με το χρώμα που έχει ή με το μήνυμα που περιέχει, όποιο λάβαρο είναι που κουβαλάω τόσα χρόνια, το διάλεξα μόνος μου. Εγώ το κέντησα, εγώ το ύφανα, εγώ έφτιαξα και το κοντάρι και έβαλα πάνω το λάβαρο... ΑΝ υπάρχει...

Αν κι εγώ δεν σήκωσα ποτέ κανένα λάβαρο.

Αυτά που λέω δεν είναι λάβαρα.

Είναι οι απόψεις μου. Και θα συνεχίσω να είμαι έτσι. Και θα δείτε τις δουλειές, και που κάνω, και που θα κάνω.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ένα πράγμα σκεφτόμουν όμως, ακούγοντας να λες αυτά... τώρα ότι...

(CD #20)Τι εννοείς ότι ήρθες πιο κοντά; Όλα αυτά τα χρόνια δεν ήσουνα κοντά στον κόσμο;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Όχι, υπάρχει...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Δεν το καταλαβαίνω αυτό...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...υπάρχει ένας κόσμος λανθασμένα που νομίζει ότι, επειδή εγώ δεν πάω να καρπαζώνομαι μαζί τους...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ναι...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...σε μια πίστα...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ναι;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...και δεν πάω με ανθρώπους που είναι λιάρδα στο μεθύσι, και σέρνονται, και κάθε δυο βόλτες πέφτουν κάτω... Αυτό, το θεωρούν ότι δεν είμαι κοντά τους.

Δεν έχω εγώ την ίδια αντίληψη.

Παράλληλα όμως, Ξενοφώντα, πρέπει να σου πω ότι παρατηρώντας και τον τρόπο και την νοοτροπία των ανθρώπων, πώς λειτουργούν, πώς διασκεδάζουν...

(CD #21)...πρέπει να παραδεχτούμε ότι ο κόσμος αλλάζει. Αν δεν παρατηρήσουμε τις αλλαγές, θα είμαστε απ' έξω από το παιχνίδι. Κι εγώ...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

’ρα, και εσύ αλλάζεις;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...κι εγώ...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Γιατί προηγουμένως... γεγονός αυτό που λες, ότι δεν αλλάζεις.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Όχι, όχι. Πρέπει να σου πω...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Δεν αλλάζεις τις ρίζες σου.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Να μ' αφήσεις να το ολοκληρώσω;

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Να το ολοκληρώσεις, ναι, αλλά θέλω να το έχεις υπ' όψιν σου κι αυτό, κι εσύ αλλάζεις, και προσαρμόζεις.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Εγώ αλλάζω από τότε που γεννήθηκα. Δηλαδή...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ακριβώς, ναι.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

... δηλαδή, το χίλια εννιακόσια εβδομήντα τρία, έλεγα τα τραγούδια του Κουγιουμτζή. ’ρχισα να ηχογραφώ ρεμπέτικα τραγούδια. Η αντίληψη όλων, και τον κοντινών μου, ήταν: «μην τα κάνεις αυτά τα τραγούδια!»

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ναι, ναι, ναι-ναι-ναι...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Όταν έκανα αργότερα τα θέατρα, το ίδιο. Όταν έκανα τα στάδια, το ίδιο. Όταν έκανα τα Latin, το ίδιο. Όταν έκανα της ορχήστρες, της μεγάλες, της κλασσικές, το ίδιο. Και μετά από τρία, πέντε ή δέκα χρόνια, όλοι ακολουθούσαν με τον ίδιο... με την ίδια πυγμή και την ίδια αντίληψη.

Μην με βάζεις - εσύ... ή οι φίλοι που μας ακούνε! - μην με βάζετε μέσα στο ίδιο καζάνι. Πρόκειται για διαφορετικό άνθρωπο, και για διαφορετικού είδους καλλιτέχνη.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αυτός...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Κι αν δεν μπορείτε να το καταλάβετε αυτό...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αυτός... Αυτός που έχει αντίληψη το καταλαβαίνει αυτό το πράγμα. Και δεν χρειάζεται να το πεις, καν...

(CD #19)

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...they hurried to condemn me. They started talking about flags and so on... Those flags, no one gave them to me! I never went and picked up the banner of any team to go and fly it on high! That flag, with the colour it has, or the message it contains, whatever flag it is that I've been carrying all those years, I chose it all by myself. It was I who sewed it together, I wove it, I even made the flagstaff and stuck the flag on it... IF it exists...

Though [in fact] I never did raise any flag.

The things I say, they are not flags.

They are my opinions. And it's going to stay that way. And you will see by the work I do, and will do.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

One thing, though, when I hear you say that... Now...

(CD #20)What do you mean, getting closer [to people]? All those years, you were not close to your public?

*** Giorgos Dalaras

No, there is...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

I don't understand...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

... there is a public who holds the mistaken opinion that, because I don't go and romp about with them...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Yes...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...on some dance floor...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Yes?

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...and I don't go with people who get plastered, blind drunk, and can't stand up, and fall over every step... That, they think it means I am not close to them.

I do not hold the same view.

But, parallel to that, Ksenofon, I have to tell you that by also observing how people behave, their mentality, how they function, how they do their entertainment...

(CD #21)... we have to recognize that the world is changing. If we do not keep track of the changes, we'll be outside the game. And I...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

So, you too, you do change?

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...and I...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Because earlier... it's a fact, what you said, that you don't change.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

No, no, I have to explain...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

You don't change your roots.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Will you let me finish?

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Finish it, by all means, but I wanted you to keep in mind this fact too, that you too do change, and adapt.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I've been changing [all the time] from the day I was born. That is...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Exactly!

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...that is, in nineteen seventy three, I was singing Kougioumtzis songs, and I started to record rembetiko. The opinion of everyone, even those close to me, was "don't do those songs!"

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Yes, right, yeaa...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Later, when I went to the theatres, the same. When I went to the stadiums, the same. When I did the "Latin" [album], the same. When I went [to play with] the orchestras, the big classical orchestras, the same. And after three, five or ten years, everyone else followed with the same... the same strength and the same opinion.

Don't you put me... - you... or the friends you are listening! - into the same kettle. We are talking about a different person, a different artist.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Who...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

And if you are not capable of understanding that...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Anyone who has thought to form an opinion understands that. And it's not even necessary for you to say it...

(CD #22)

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Όχι, άλλο θέλω να πω! Ας κάνει την κριτική του... απλώς, να ξέρει να δέχεται το διαφορετικό. Εγώ δεν ανήκω στην παρέα των δεκαπέντε ή είκοσι φιρμών που έχει το ελληνικό τραγούδι.

Δεν ανήκω!

Δεν ανήκα ποτέ!

Γι' αυτό και κάθε εβδομάδα, πήγαινε ένα πράγμα καλά, του γύρισα την πλάτη κι έκανα κάτι άλλο. Το ίδιο κάνω και τώρα. Ενδεχομένως να είναι κάτι πιο προκλητικό. Καλά κάνει και είναι προκλητικό.

Περιμένετε, αδέρφια! Περιμένετε, λίγο. Δείτε τι έκανα, και καταλάβετε τι έκανα.

Θέλω τα τραγούδια ΜΑΣ να παίζονται και σ' έναν νυχτερινό χώρο, πού γίνεται το γλέντι, πού διασκεδάζει ο κόσμος, και καινούργιοι ακροατές ξαναβλέπουν απ' την αρχή. Και λένε: «Ρε 'συ, τι έγινε;»

Μερικοί νομίζουν όταν ακούν τ' όνομα «Ο Νταλάρας»... θα νομίζουν ότι είναι κανένας άνθρωπος εβδομήντα χρονών, ο οποίος, δεν ξέρω από πού έρχεται.

Βλέπουν! Έρχονται! Νιώθουνε! Ακούνε! Μου ζητάν τραγούδια του Τσιτσάνη! Κάθε βράδυ παίζουμε τραγούδια του Τσιτσάνη.

Σοβαρά μιλάς...

Δεν το αφήνω, εγώ, αυτό το πράγμα!

(CD #22)

*** Giorgos Dalaras

No, [wait], what I want to say is something else! Let them make their criticism... it's just that they have to accept what's different. Me, I don't belong to that in-crowd of fifteen or twenty "big businesses" that there is in Greek song.

I don't belong!

I never did belong!

If only because every week or so, once a thing was running smoothly, I'd turn my back on it and go do something different. And I'm doing the same thing now. It may be more provocative. That's a very good thing to be.

Wait, brothers! Just wait a bit. Watch what I've done, and understand what I've done.

I want OUR songs to be played in a nyhterino kentro, [the kind of night-life place] where the party is going on, where people are having fun, and where a new public discovers them all over again. And says: "Hey, there, what's going on?"

Some think, hearing the name "Dalaras"... they'll thing it's some guy of seventy come out of god-knows-where.

Now they see! They come! They feel it! They hear it! They ask me for Tsitsanis songs! Every night in there we play Tsitsanis!

Seriously...

I'm not dropping that thing, no way!

(CD #23)

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Ένα πράγμα εγώ θα έλεγα ότι μ' ενδιαφέρει στην ιστορία αυτή. ΠΕΡΝΑΣ ΚΑΛΑ ΕΣΥ;

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Περνάω, ναι.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αυτό έχει σημασία.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Έχει καλά, σου είπα, και κακά...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αυτό έχει...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...εμένα, το ξενύχτι δεν μ' αρέσει.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αν περνάς εσύ καλά, περνάει...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Βεβαίως, περνάω καλά. Πρέπει να σου πω όμως...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

... έτσι περνάει κι ο κόσμος.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Πρέπει να σου πω ότι...

(CD #23)

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

There's one thing which, I'd say, matters to me in this whole story. YOU, ARE YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME?

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I do, yes.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

That matters.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Like I told you, it's got good and bad...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

It's...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...the staying up all night, I don't like that.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

If you are having a good time, so does...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Certainly, I am having a good time. I do have to say, though...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

...so does the public.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I do have to say, though...

(CD #24)*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Οι πρώτες μέρες ήταν σκληρές, και δύσκολες, διότι ξεκινήσαμε χωρίς πρόγραμμα. Παρακάλεσα και τον Αντώνη, και τον επιχειρηματία, ότι δεν ήμασταν έτοιμοι να ξεκινήσουμε. Σεβάστηκα όμως τους τετρακόσιους ανθρώπους που δουλεύουν εκεί. Έκανα κάτι που στη ζωή δεν το 'χω κάνει. Πιστεύω ότι αυτή ήταν μεγάλη υποχώρηση. Το ΄χουν καταλάβει κι οι ίδιοι, και τους εκτιμώ που το κατάλαβαν.

Ξεκινήσαμε χωρίς πρόγραμμα. Θεωρώ τους πιο άτυχους τους ακροατές μας και τους θαμώνες που ήρθαν εκείνη την νύχτα, εκείνες τις πρώτες νύχτες. Ήτανε δύσκολο. Παρόλα αυτά, ήρθαν.

Εγώ είχα...

(CD #24)

*** Giorgos Dalaras

The first days were tough, they were difficult, since we started off without a programme. I pleaded with Antonis, and the business manager, that we were not ready. But I took heed of the four hundred people who work there. I did a thing I never did before in my life. I feel that was a big concession. They've realized that, themselves, and I honour them for that understanding.

We started without a programme. I reckon the most unlucky are those of our listeners, and those spectators, who came that night, on those first days. It was hard. But for all that, they came.

I had...

(CD #25)

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...έκανα σωστή επιλογή, και του καλλιτέχνη, και του χώρου.

Και αυτό φαίνεται, διότι κάθε μέρα έχουμε δυόμισι ή τρεις χιλιάδες κόσμο. Μέχρι να κλείσουμε, αυτό συμβαίνει. Δηλαδή, η ένωση των δύο διαφορετικών νοοτροπιών, των δύο διαφορετικών ειδών τραγουδιών, των δύο διαφορετικών προσώπων, που είναι ενδεχομένως λαμπερά... έκανε μία έκρηξη. Κι αυτή την έκρηξη δεν πρέπει να την αμφισβητήσει κανείς. Kαι κυρίως, να μην φοβούνται εκείνοι που... οι ψιθυριστές, που νομίζουν ότι κάτι δεν πάει καλά.

(CD #26) jingle - [διαφήμιση - CUT]

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...the choice I made was correct, both of the artist, and of the place.

And this is visible, since every day we have two and half or three thousand people. Until we quit, that's what happens. That is to say, this union of two different approaches, of two different kinds of song, of two different personalities, which seem to be quite bright... it went off. And that explosion, let no one question it. And above all, don't be afraid... all those who whisper, who feel something is wrong, [don't be afraid].

(CD #26) jingle [commercial break - CUT by me]

(CD #27)Τραγούδι: Σε τι θεό πιστεύεις

(CD #28)

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Είναι απ' αυτά που...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Ναι, αυτά είναι. Τα λαϊκά...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

...του Στάμου Σέμση... Αλλά...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

...τα λαϊκα...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αρχίζει... Αρχίζει περίεργα, έτσι, κι αυτό, έχει διαφορετική εισαγωγή.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Έχει αυτό το εθνικό, που λένε. Το λένε ethnic.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Το ethnic, ναι.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Το ethnic χρώμα.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Είναι Σέμσης και Παυριανός και αυτό το τραγούδι.

Λοιπόν... Φαίνεται κι απ' τα τηλεφωνήματα ότι υπάρχουνε δύο διαθέσεις των φίλων σου, που... Σου επιτρέπουν αυτό που είπες, μάλιστα, και σε κάποια συνέντευξή σου όπως έχω ακούσει, ότι «φέτος αποφάσισες να πιεις κι ένα ποτήρι κρασί», ή «να φας μια τούρτα ολόκληρη μόνος σου»... Χε χε... Εγώ απορώ, γιατί αυτά τα στερούσες τον εαυτό σου όλα τα προηγούμενα χρόνια; Αν τα στερούσες. Δηλαδή... αν κάπου περιχαρακώθηκες και... και στερήθηκες, ενδεχομένως, πράγματα που...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Το 'χω πει αυτό. Πολλές φορές.

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Όντως... Ναι.

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

Μα το 'χω πει - δεκάδες φορές - ότι εγώ στερήθηκα πολλά πράγματα για να κάνω το τραγούδι μ' αυτό τον τρόπο που το έκανα, δηλαδή να κάνω την διαδρομή ενός λαϊκού τραγουδιστή όπως το έκανα.

Οι λαϊκοί τραγουδιστές δεν φέρονται όπως εγώ.

Οι λαϊκοί τραγουδιστές γεννιούνται μέσα στα νυχτερινά κέντρα: μερικοί στα σκυλάδικα, μερικοί εκεί πού παίζεται το παιχνίδι, εκεί πού παίζεται η φιγούρα, εκεί πού ξοδεύονται χρήματα, εκεί πού ο ένας τρώει με τα μάτια τον άλλον... Ή δεν ξέρω εγώ αν τον τρώει και κανονικά...

Εγώ έφυγα από 'κει. Πολύ νωρίς. Είκοσι τριών χρονών, το ξαναθυμίζω. Όταν ήδη κανείς είκοσι τριών χρονών δεν έχει αρχίζει την καριέρα του, εγώ έκλεινα, έπαιρνα διαζύγιο από αυτή την ιστορία.

Σήμερα, μετά από μια πορεία τριών, τεσσάρων δεκαετιών, έχω δικαίωμα να μπω μέσα στο παιχνίδι και να δω τι άλλαξε και τι δεν άλλαξε. Κι αυτό κάνω.

Και το ξαναλέω και πάλι. Δεν πρέπει να βιάζονται. Εμένα θα με κρίνουν συνολικά. Το κάνω αυτό...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Αυτόν αφορά τον αντίλογο, που λες... γιατί μια φίλη που πήρε τηλέφωνο...

*** Γιώργος Νταλάρας

... για να... για να...

*** Ξενοφών Ραράκος

Θέλω να σου πω... Υποσχέθηκα - συγνώμη! - να το πω στον αέρα..

(CD #27)

Song: Se ti theo pisteveis [What god do you believe in?]

(CD #28)

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

That's one of those...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

Yes, it is. The laïka...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

...by Stamos Semis... But...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...the laïka...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

It starts... It starts in a strange way, like, this [song] too has an intro with a difference.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

That's the ethnicity, as they say. They call it "ethnic".

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

Ethnic, yes.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

The "ethnic" colour.

[Translator's note: they are using "ethnic", the English descendant of the Greek word εθνικός, using it in the restricted, technical, musicological sense]

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

This song too is by Stamos Semsis and Giorgos Pavrianos.

So... it seems, from the phone calls, that there are two ways your friends feel about this, they... They don't grudge you, certainly, what you described in another interview, as I've heard, as "this year you want to drink a glass of wine, too", or "to eat a whole cake by myself"... He he... What surprises me is, why, all those years, did you deny yourself these things? That is... did you, in some way, entrench yourself and... deprive yourself... possibly... of things that...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I've talked about it. Lots of times.

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

In fact, you have.

*** Giorgos Dalaras

I've said so - dozens of times - that I've missed out on lots of things, to do my singing the way I have, that is, to follow the path of a laïko singer the way I did.

Laïko singers [generally] do not behave the way I do.

Laïko singers are born and bred in the nyhterina kentra: some in the skyladika, some in the places where they play the game, where they show off, where they throw away big money, where they eat each other with their eyes... if not literally, I don't know...

I left all that. Early. At twenty-three, I'm reminding [you]. Where anyone who's twenty-three hasn't even started his career yet, I closed that story, divorced myself from it.

Today, after a career of three, four decades, I've got a right to go into the game and see what changed and what didn't. And that's what I'm doing.

And I'm saying it once more. Don't hurry. I'll be judged by the end total. I do this to...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

This concerns the response which... because there's one [woman] friend who telephoned to...

*** Giorgos Dalaras

...in order to... to...

*** Ksenofon Rarakos

I really want to tell this... I promised - sorry! - to say it on the air...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0