Michael

Dalaras and Byzantine-related music

2 posts in this topic

Geeske wrote in an earlier posting:

"I think he [= Dalaras] has done some Byzantine-related things, I have one hymn somewhere which turns my heart inside out every time - what is the record to buy please? I have an old interest in Ancient music, hence the question."

As far as I know, this question remained without answer. I also remembered it only now and will try to respond:

Geeske, I think you have the record with this hymn: That is the CD "To elliniko prosopo tou Giorgou Dalara". The first "song" has the title "Eksedysan me ta imatia mou". It is a Byzantine hymn in a wonderful interpretation by Dalaras.

The other Byzantine-related record with Dalaras is the CD "Ymnoi aggelon se rythmous anthropon". Here he sings Hymns of the church and Psalms with music by Stavros Kougioumtzis (no "laika" songs in this case ;)).

Michael, your memory amazes me - yes, that is the song I have.

I've added that Kougioumtsis CD to my shopping list, but it's not  going to be before Christmas... That man Kouyioumtsis keeps turning up, doesn't he?

I do hope Dalaras keeps that kind of material in his repertoire. His voice is so perfect for it!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead