Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Αν σε δω σε ξένα χέρια

8 posts in this topic

From the record "Μικρές πολιτείες" (Mikres polities, "Small towns")

Αν σε δω σε ξένα χέρια ___||___ Seeing you in other arms

Μουσική: Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής ___||___ Music: Stavros Kougioumtzis

Στίχοι: Σταύρος Κουγιουμτζής ___||___ Lyrics: Stavros Kougioumtzis

Σε σοκάκια και μπαλκόνια ___||___ In corners and on balconies,

σε στενά κι ανηφοριές ___||___ in alleys and steep passages,

κάθομαι και λογαριάζω ___||___ I settle down and reckon up

πώς αλλάζουν οι καρδιές ___||___ how much the hearts do change.

Σφάζομαι με δυο μαχαίρια ___||___ I am stabbed by two knives

και με τέσσερα σπαθιά ___||___ and by four sword blades

αν σε δω σε ξένα χέρια ___||___ when I see you in other arms

και σε άλλην αγκαλιά ___||___ and in the embrace of another.

Όμορφο μου άσπρο κρίνο ___||___ Oh, my beautiful white lily,

μη μου κάνεις μαργιολιές ___||___ don't play your coquettish tricks on me,

μα τον ’γιο Κωνσταντίνο ___||___ by Saint Constantine,

θα πεθάνω και θα κλαις ___||___ I will die, and you will weep.

μα τον ’γιο Κωνσταντίνο  ___||___  by Saint Constantine,

θα πεθάνω και θα κλαις  ___||___  I will die, and you will weep.

No remarks to the translation here ( :confused: ), only a question:

Does someone know what the Saint Constantine ("’γιος Κωσνταντίνος") stands for? (As for example Kosmas and Damianos [Κοσμάς και Δαμιανός] are related with medicine, doctors, hospitals etc.)

I think  Agios Konstantinos stands for a special day, the 21st of May, the namesday.

:D That was my assumption too for a long time (that the phrase refers to the nameday of the saint, as the day when he will die). But after reading Geske's translation "by Saint Constantine" I was not longer sure about it: I think the words "μα τον ’γιο Κωνσταντίνο" could be an exclamation too, like "μα το Θεό!", "μα την Παναγία!", "μα τον άγιο!".

I assume that this was meant by Geske when translating "by Saint Constantine" and I tend to believe she is right with such an interpretation. Therefore arose my question if it could have a special meaning that the verse refers exactly to the saint Κωνσταντίνος.

(Anyway, thanks for the information that the day of Agios Konstantinos is May 21st. Maybe that this will help to interprete the verse correctly.)

In my more cynical moments, I'd say Constantine got the honour of being sworn by... mostly because he had the right number of syllables and the right rhyme :D

but i am seldom cynical and when i try, i usually get it wrong - so there is hope for saint Constantine.

I assume, like Geske, this name was mentioned here for the verses' sake.

A sudden thought: when really THIS one Constantine can be meant, the holy emperor, patron of Constantinople - maybe has the whole a hidden, political and/or historical meaning? You know: Constantinople - Istanbul -Constantinos Palaiologos, the marble king and so on..........

After all, "an se do se xena xeria".

I forgot completely, what is the exact date of the publication of "Mikres politeies"?

If I'm not mistaken Saint Constantine and his mother Saint Helene are invoked in the orthodox marriage ceremony.

Constantine I (the Great), the first Christian Roman emperor who has become Saint Constantine

is reputed to have promulgated laws to reinforce the institution of marriage, punish adultery, etc. ..

.....even though his own life doesn't seem to have been "exemplary" in that respect. :D

His invocation seems fitting in this case.

If I'm not mistaken Saint Constantine and his mother Saint Helene are invoked in the orthodox marriage ceremony.

Constantine I (the Great), the first Christian Roman emperor who has become Saint Constantine

is reputed  to have promulgated laws to reinforce  the institution of marriage, punish adultery, etc.  ..

.....even though his own life doesn't seem to have been "exemplary" in that respect. :D

His invocation seems fitting in this case.

If your assumption is right, Annmarie, that would be a quite "logical" explanation for Constantine's invocation in the song. Otherwise, maybe that Geske and Olga are right with their assumption of merely "practical" reasons ("krino" - "Konstantino"). B)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0