Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

’νθη της πέτρας (του Σεφέρη)

5 posts in this topic

Since Apostolis uploaded the song,

THANK YOU APOSTOLI!

I thought I'd better "do my little number" too...

It's plain murder, of course, translating a Seferis poem in 4.45 minutes (as measured by the wordprocessor), but I'll polish it up by and by, and till then, it might be "better than nothing" for some of you.

’νθη της πέτρας ___||___ Blossoms of the rock

Μουσική: Μίκης Θεοδωράκης ___||___ Music: Mikis Theodorakis

Ποίηση: Γιώργος Σεφέρης ___||___ Poem: Giorgos Seferis

’νθη της πέτρας μπροστά στην πράσινη θάλασσα ___||___ Blossoms of the rock - facing the green sea

με φλέβες που μου θύμιζαν άλλες αγάπες ___||___ with veins reminding me of other loves

γυαλίζοντας στ' αργό ψιχάλισμα. ___||___ glistening from a slow fine rain

’νθη της πέτρας φυσιογνωμίες που ήρθαν ___||___ Flowers of the rock - faces that arrived

όταν κανένας δεν μιλούσε και μου μίλησαν ___||___ when no one was speaking, and spoke to me,

που μ' άφησαν να τις αγγίξω ύστερα από την σιωπή ___||___ who allowed me to touch them, after the silence,

μέσα σε πεύκα σε πικροδάφνες και σε πλατάνια. ___||___ among poplars among oleanders and among plane tree.

I love Seferis - so many thanks Apostoli for the link - though I'm going to have to wait a while before I can listen to it, as I don't have a working computer at home, and for some reason our IT department at work don't seem to think we should have a facility for listening to music.

Anyway, this translation took much much longer than 4.45 minutes - but it's been on 'stixoi' for a year or so now, so thought you might like to see it for comparison, Geeske.

’νθη της πέτρας μπροστά στην πράσινη θάλασσα || Flowers of the rock before the green sea

με φλέβες που μου θύμιζαν άλλες αγάπες || with veins that reminded me of other loves

γυαλίζοντας στ' αργό ψιχάλισμα. || shining in the slow drizzle

’νθη της πέτρας φυσιογνωμίες που ήρθαν || Flowers of the rock, faces that came

όταν κανένας δεν μιλούσε και μου μίλησαν || when no-one was speaking they spoke to me

που μ' άφησαν να τις αγγίξω ύστερα από την σιωπή || let me touch them after the silence

μέσα σε πεύκα σε πικροδάφνες και σε πλατάνια. || amongst the pines, the oleander and the planes

Félicitations.........pas mal du tout !!! B):D

Here is the translation (by Edmund Keeley ane Philip Serrard) given on M. Theodorakis website :

FLOWERS OF THE ROCK

Flowers of the rock facing the green sea

with veins that reminded me of other loves

glowing in the slow fine rain,

flowers of the rock, figures

that came when no one spoke and spoke to me

that let me touch them after the silence

among pine-trees, oleanders, and plane-trees.

http://www.mikis-theodorakis.net/indexenglish.htm

:DB):)

Poetry.

They say you get as many different translations as there are different translators... this is not true, you get MORE.

It's supposed to be "international poetry day" today - the radio says - so I thought I'd try a little experiment: about an hour after doing the translation posted above (and having translated the instructions for use for an espresso-machine in the mean time :huh: ) I went and did it over. That is, I didn't re-read&correct the translation, I just took the original again and told myself "ok, this is a poem, not a grammar lesson - now translate it!". The result is substantially different... [edit: most startling - to me - the fact that in the first one, I put "poplar" when I know perfectly well it's a pine-tree, did it right in the second, and didn't even notice it till after they were both posted!]

So I came to post it... and I found you :music::music::music:

’νθη της πέτρας ___||___ Blossoms of the rock

Μουσική: Μίκης Θεοδωράκης ___||___ Music: Mikis Theodorakis

Ποίηση: Γιώργος Σεφέρης ___||___ Poem: Giorgos Seferis

’νθη της πέτρας μπροστά στην πράσινη θάλασσα ___||___ Stone blossoming - facing the green sea -

με φλέβες που μου θύμιζαν άλλες αγάπες ___||___ veined, reminding me of other loves,

γυαλίζοντας στ' αργό ψιχάλισμα. ___||___ lacquered by the slow fine rain

’νθη της πέτρας φυσιογνωμίες που ήρθαν ___||___ Stone blossoming - persons coming

όταν κανένας δεν μιλούσε και μου μίλησαν ___||___ when no one spoke, to speak to me,

που μ' άφησαν να τις αγγίξω ύστερα από την σιωπή ___||___ allowing me to touch them, ending the silence,

μέσα σε πεύκα σε πικροδάφνες και σε πλατάνια. ___||___ among the pines, oleanders, plane trees.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0