Andonis

Η άσφαλτος που τρέχει

121 posts in this topic

Wow, what an album H Asfaltos Pou Trexi is.  Sonically, it is one of the best recorded albums that I have ever heard in any type of music, not to mentions the composers and musicians featured.  I just thought I would start this topc discussion, for I am sure everyone feels the same way I do about this album.  I better stop because I can write for pages about all the deatils of this extraordinary album.  Once again Dalaras raises the bar for Greek music, and many will copy this album's style as they always do with the music of the living legend, Dalaras.  :D

No, not at all.  I have been brought up up with his incredible music.  I am 19, but when I was young my papu and yiayia woud play "O Tragoudistis," and I couldn't stop playing it.  He came here to the San Francisco area two times when I was young, and back stage he picked me up at the age of seven or eight for a picture (which is framed in my house still today.)  I had no clue that there were others who feel the same passion for Dalaras as me and my two best friends do, for we are kind of sheltered from it all here in the Bay Area. I was also dissapointed that his cancert cancelled for a concert here in the Bay Area and he was also out of town when I was in Greece in 99'.  Dalaras' work and passion has inspired me (along with many other artists as well) to take up bouzouki for the last five years or so, and my friends and I have started a band called "Fotia."  Anyway, "Asfaltos" is not my first album, just one of my favorites, although it seems like every album of his is good enough to be your favorite.

Andonis! Thank you for your answer.There are more than 30 years between us,and we have the same music-taste(?). It is so interesting for me, to talk to other Dalaras-fans in the whole world.  Greetings  Franz   :)

Franz, Andonis,

that is precisely why the Dalaras Magic works so well.

It is distributed of all ages from different eras and all lands throughout the world.

Isn't  it just magnificient?

:)  :razz:

:D  :D  :)  :wow:

Ok with that said this is going to be challenging, enduring  and yet timeconsuming but I guess its all considered for a Labor of Love.

Geeske this ones for you and dont think I abandon you.

It will be completed in two parts though.  

Sorry but 27 tracks is alot to talk and write about on 1 Selida(page)

As metioned before I may not be able to breakdown all the beats as this is the hardest & most cumbersome task so I will just name briefly what style of beat the song comes close to as far as the description goes.

If anyone can modify and/or expand on my descriptions to come I welcome any future POSITIVE comments.

And with said away we go

cd I:

1.  'H Trela Mou Eisa Soi'

though I havent heard the original lately, the version by Dalaras is in 2/4 time and comes close to the

RUBA or SYRTO rhythm.

2.   'Thartho Na Se Vro'

believe it or not this is rendition of a Slow TSIFTETELI

and could be counted as one of the 2/3 Nikolas described.  

However. from my other post I will label or classify this Tsifteteli and all others as 4/4

3.     'To Palto'

Yes another TSIFTETELI  but more of a listening number then a dancing song.  It's not played to slow but not to fast either.

Considered I'd say in more of a moderate tempo for only listening.

4. 'O Palios Stratiotis'

A classic ZEMBEKIKO 9/8 beat to its fullest.

with a touch of (Kopsimata mesa)  long rests in-between the measures per beats of the song and rhythm in its whole duration.

5.  'Iptameno Xali'

Hmmm one of my favorite easy listening numbers on here.

And thats exactly what that is.

A BALLAD  broken down in 4/4 time.

and for those who aren't sure as to what Ballads are,  they are of easy listening music or slow songs to dance to with your beloved partners.  Me Sehorite, No pun intended.

6. 'Den S'eho Dei'

A little harder to classify but this song is broken down

into 3/4 time.  

Not like the Tsamiko but more similar to that of the Waltz but is not a true waltz.

Halfway through the the song it gets jazzed up a bit with a Latin feel to it and thus could be counted as that in 6/8 time.

7. 'Nykta Sto Ellhniko'

Another beautiful Ballad that I like on this cd

Although considered to be a BALLAD indeed the style of music as a Rcok influenve in it hence the Metal & Distortion from the Guitars

so   with that said I classify this a Slow Rock Ballad.

Others may disagree but that's fine.

As I've mentioned before not all of the tracks on Dalaras cd are faithful or rather geared to just traditional & modern Greek Rhythms. There is a vast style of Western interpretations mixed in.

And this is of no exception neither is the song "Den S'exo Di'.

And this is not a bad thing either otherwise all of the remaining tracks on the cd would all sound alike.

And Dalaras wants to give us fans something new and exciting to look forward too all the time and he would never lead astray as he certainly puts his best and awe into every one of his endeavors no matter what project he may take upon next.

8. 'Ki Exo Vrehi'

What I can I say for this slow song

Another rendition of a SLOW ROCK BALLAD

pretty song but it reminds me too much of the other Ballad Dalaras sang on his previous CD:

"Thesaloniki Me Dio Papoutsi Panena" with Bregovic

the song was titled:

'To Tragoudi Ths Vrohis'

which was also BTW one song on there I didn't really care for in that Dalaras voice does not project well here and is more laidback if anything.

As we Greeks like to say;

S'afto to Tragoudi Den To Pai Kala, Yiati Den Ehi,  Kai Oute Vyeni To Metalo Eki.

9. 'Methismeni Varka'

one of my all time Favorites on here

this is HASOPOSERVIKO

And is in the beat of 2/4 time.

10. 'Krymmena Klydia'

As this was a song that had so much controversy here in the past few months, I won't even try to define its origin since I've never heard the original

but be that as it may,

this remix is of 4/4 time to say the very least

and has a ROCK & JAZZ feel to it.

Not quite like Fusion, on the contrar, but definately has a jazz beat  to it in a Rock type Rhythm setting.

If anyone else in here can describe it better then this, by all means please do so but only of please Positive suggestions as I do not like criticisms nor do I take them to well either.  

:wow:  :cool:

11. 'H Kathodos Toy Enous'

Finally back to Traditional & Contemporary Greek Rhythms.

This song is a SYRTO or RUBA if you prefer this name of style   in the 2/4 beat

and its a nice sirto too by the way.

12. 'Se Xeno Oneiro'

For those of you who remember the song

"Ta Vengalika Sou Matia"

from the cd 'Sthn Ellada Kani Krio'

should no doubt recognize the pattern and composition once again from Sambos Semsis.

Apparantly, he prefers and likes writing soft & very slow Ballads for Dalaras to sing.

A bit to slow for my taste but nevertheless

it is indeed a pretty song

and its a BALLAD  in 4/4 time.

13. 'Paris'

Well for anyone who knows or has heard of the Texas 2 step dance (similar to that of the serviko by the way)

will know off hand that this comes from Country Music here in the States.   Now for the record 'Country Music'

is similar to what we Greeks say as that of

"Ta Vlahika"    once again no pun intended from those who're from the south or come from a Xorio in Greece;

but this song has a Country & Western feel to it

and is one song on here I really particularly didn't

fancy all that much but its no doubt interpreted as that of a

HASOPOSERVIKO

or fast 2/4 time.

14. 'Hasta Simpre'

This is the hardest one to decipher as it is a  Latin song with a Latin beat to it.

Since I'm only knowledgeable in Greek Rhtythms, I haven't a clue as to what this one Latin Beat is.

But if I had to take an educated guess at it,

I'll take a stab and call it a mixture between that of a SAMBA and a little BASSANOVA blended in.  Or vice a versa.

But in Greek it does resemble more of what we call

BOLERO OR  RUMBA.

Hey Maybe thats what it indeed is.

I know I maybe wrong in guessing but if anyone else knows or has the correct style & interpretation let him/her come forth and add their comments in.

Well folks that concludes CD I

I don't know about you but if I haven't already lost your interest from this long post you will by CD II only because that one follows more closely to the Greek Roots then from the Western Influence colloborations found on CD I.

And being that its really really late now and I can hardly think strauight not along type another word.

I'm off as we say in musical notation

REST.

until then

this is christo signing out

Kalinuchta kai kalimera sas

CD II  evalutation is coming soon

STay Tuned for more to come.

Christo, I really didn't know what I was asking, did I? thanks a whole big bunch! this is going to be an Occasion to Listen again very closely to a beloved record - always good.

That album really is a well-mixed mixture of very-greek and not-so-greek rythms, isn't it?

Quite off-topic, I'm surprised that you don't like το τραγουδι της βροχης, which is a song I absolutely LOVE, all of it, the voice, the tune, the rythm the words the orchestration...

I'm really curious as to the other songs. The two I'm most eager to know are Νυχτεριδα and λουλουδι...

:D

My pleasure people

and your welcome

Let me know if you still want me to continue

this same format

for CD II?

or should I stop here??

:sarcasm:

Well, I seriously enjoy reading you, so if you like, yes please!! But it does take you loads of time, doesn't it? So I'll say what interests me most, personally: to know which of the songs follow a special Greek rythm, and which rythm that is.

But I must admit, if you have the time and feel like it: do go on... it's fascinating to read about all these very different kinds of rythm and music, all in one voice, in one cd.

I remember, in an old topic about this cd, some people said they found it hard to listen to, because it was not homogenous, not a whole - just loose bits. I still disagree with that: it IS a whole, a varied and diverse whole, it all does come together. In my non-learned ears at least.

And whatever you do - please dear Christo pretty please - do mention at least Νυχτεριδα (yes that's an egoistic request, I know).

And, THANK YOU.

Geeske, before Christo comes and confirms it I hope, Nyxterida is a classic zeimpekiko, as I would say 'a zeimpekiko from Pergamos', some hundreds of years later... :sarcasm:

:)

Geeske, NIkolas

Yes your right  Nycterida is a classic Zembekiko

and one of my favorites,

Consider the request granted.

and yes they are by all means very much TIme Consuming to write

but it is something I found I  do rather enjoy doing.

Maybe becuase I  have so much input to add;

and Its also Informative to eveyone else becuase I'm relaying information on a musical reference that no one else might not have ever been aware of to look or think about.

So as long as I have the time, patience or wilingness & the means at my disposal, I hereby dedicate or appoint myself advisory of this topic.

Anyone here care to 2nd the motion??/

CD II is coming soon

so

Stay Tune for more to come.

:)

:blush:

Hi People

Welcome to Asphaltos Pou Trehi

music appreciation 202

lols

As promised here is the 2nd analysis set to complete the rhythms and styles section to this great Cd.

So with that said

please join me for the review

and away go:

1. 'H Asfaltos Pou Trexei'  (Cover title)

This believe it or not is one great ZEMBEKIKO!

It is of the 9/8 beat, Time signature.

And what I like best about this song is:  

it does not follow the traditional bouzouki style zembekiko.

We hear all kinds of  breaks, rolls, & fills by the drums and Heavy Rock

Guitar Tracks all blended in.  What a great Work of Art in recording.

:music:

This is a good example of re-inventing the wheel in ZEMBEKIKA.   And I love the harmony tracks Dalaras sings in the background to his voice.

2. 'Matia Kastana'

This is a contemporary ballad with influences borrowed from music in modern western civilization.

for example

it's a mixture combination of R&B (rhythm n Blues) with a light touch of Rock & Jazz feel to it.

Theres no define name for this style of rhythm

but comes real close to classifying it or to label it as RHYTHM AND BLUES.  Time Signature  4/4.

3. 'Nyxterida'

This song is just so beautiful and surely has got to be one of the most prettyist soft ballads ever to be composed in the style of the Zembekiko rhythms!

If you recall my topic when the club was formed back in July, I had a section on the new cd and favorite songs of Zembekika on there.  

This one was my favorite and still is.

Theres just something about the arrangements between the piano, Bouzouki, Baglama, Strings, & Drums  that all fit smoothly to Dalaras voice & singing from this great song.

If those of you overlooked it because it was too soft in the beginning, I'd advise you to re-listen to it, for it truly is a great

SOFT BALLAD ZEMBEKIKO

Tempo  9/8

4. 'Ta Fantasmata'

One of the more famous style of songs Dalaras is sings Live in Concerts is from his Servika Tragoudia.

This track is no exception to that rule of thumb for,

this is one great HASAPOSERVIKO!  

And   that fits perfectly to this category.

Recall the topic I started with famous Servika Tragoudia to clap along too,

This is a perfect example.

It is a traditional 2/4 rhythm  

and is a very good HASAPOSERVIKO

Another one of my favorites too.

5. 'Me Ths Kardias Ton Xtypo'

Acapello in the beginning with Dalaras performing solo

Amane on his voice.

And then,      BOOM!,       The Song comes to life with the Instruments.

This my friends is one Dynamite      HASAPIKO!!!!

For quick reference:

Again, the HASAPIKO is known as the Butcher's Dance

hence the name "Hasapis"

It is also of the Tempo   2/4.

Dalaras voice shines and cuts like a sharp knife has he

sings  "Lene Ta Podia Tis Fotias - Pos Einai H Avemoi"

I don't know about the rest of yous guys

but this song

gives me goosebumps when I here him singing it.

sort of like the hair on your arms & legs causing them to stiffen.   Lols!!

:wow:

6. 'Allo Tha Pei Aisthanomai'

This is a slow  TSIFTETELI

It is of the time signature 2/4

Did I get it right this time Nikolas?

It's a pretty Tsifteteli but not really for dancing.

Definately not like the Tsiftetelia, one would hear from vocalists such as  Garbi, Vandi, Vissi,  etc.,

There songs are more geared up to dance too in the clubs.,

This song is to be heard and listened to the music and lyrics for the appreciation rather then for dancing.

7. 'Patridoynosia'

This song is of the style and/or rhythm of the

SYRTO.    But is not played like a Dimotika Sirto because of all the Kopsimata mesa (choppiness & accents).

It's played more like a RUBA.  But nevetheless it is a SYRTO.   and the  Tempo   2/4.

To    Franz,  

Panos Katsimihas sings along with Dalaras and;

He does a great job singing Harmony to Dalaras.

If you havent yet heard this song, please do so.

It's a really good number!.

Listen to the ending.  A very good recording job on the voices alone at the end.

8. 'Esoterikes Eidhseis'

This song is a pretty BALLAD.

with the Tempo of 4/4.

The Piano and String Arrangements are Rich yet uttly so Lush.

Another great job in composition, and mixing down in the recording studio.

I like how Dalaras voice is soft to sing this pretty Ballad similar to the other ballads on CD1 such as 'Iptameno Hali'.

9. 'Akraia Symptomata'

This is another transition of a Slow TSIFTETELI.

It can be danced too, but there is very little kefi in doing so.   Again,  with this song of how it was recorded, it's meant to be heard and listened to for the style of rhythm is played slow despite the fact it is a Tsifteteli.

and Tempo  2/4.

Nikolas can verify this for me.

10. 'H Allh Moy Zoh'

This is a Classic Example of those famous Bouzouki numbers in the Rhythm of ZEMBEKIKO.

Time Signature is  9/8.

And with the composition and interpretation of Dalaras vocals along with the Bouzouki Track, it comes across as the genre of the "'Rempetika".  It may not be a true Rembetiko, but the feel that it gives and portrays, certainly does sound like it is.  

FYI:

This is one of those genre Zembekika (played in clubs sort of like Skyladia here in the US & Canada) because again the rhythm is played so slow and only drunken men from ouzo get up and dance to those.

11. 'To Zeimpekiko Kormi Soy'

Although it has the title Zembekiko in it,

it does not even come close to the Zembekiko  rhythm.

I repeat  it is not a zembekiko.

The song is nothing more then a BALLAD with the beat of

4/4.

I didn't really care for the song too much.

Maybe it was because I'm not familiar with Anna Bourmas singing.  But still I didn't really like this number.    

I guess it's fair to say that

There are so many Ballads out there and I can't like all of them.  That goes true with Enyas new Ballad thats popular in the US.  Maybe those two sound alike and thats why I don't really care for them.  Lols

12. 'To Kako'

With the return of Dalaras now,  

this style of music returns us to the tempo of 9/8.

Here, we will dispute the style and I will call this

"KAMILERIKO"

Nikolas, I know you will think this is KARSILEMA.

And is certainly played like a Karsilema.

True, but Karsilemades are generally played fast with a more upbeat tempo to them like

one-two, one-two, one-two, one-two-three.

Here, the beat is played much slower like

one-two-three, four, five, six

and thats where we get the name

Kamileriko from.

It actullay should be counted in more in the time of 9/4 then 9/8.

However  Nikolas,

I won't debate with you on this one.

I liked the research you defined to us on the names that you gave us on Karsilemas from Asia Minor.  And since I didn't have any reference on that,  I do so humbly welcome any further input you can add to this discussion.

13. 'Loyloudi'

Well for those of you who thought this is another Ballad.

Guess again you've been fooled.

This song is in 3/4 time;

and if you think it's a Tsamiko

Guess again.

It's a 3/4 rhythm  found in the states and abroad.

The style is a Waltz.

I know there were members in here that found the song

relaxing, laid back, mellow, soothing, &  what have you not.

But still it is one track on there I didn't really care for.

It's not bad, but like all cd's not just of Dalaras but from other artists as well,  they all tend to conclude with a Ballad.  Don't ask why but they just do.

My guess is: because it couldn't just end with a Lively Upbeat tempo song. If it did, the audience (us) would feel cheatened only because we would expect another one to follow.   So I think the pattern is to finish playing a soft song and let the listerners know it is winding down to conclude.

12. 'Oso Pernai O Kairos'

(see explanation up above)

As said before, the cd's generally end with a Ballad.

And thats exactly what this is a BALLAD.

tempo of 4/4 time.

I liked this number a little bit more then Louloudi.    

but no tthat much more.  "Esoterikes Eihiseis" was a better Ballad to listen to if you ask me.

However, it definetely fits the norm to conclude a double cd.  When Ballads are played this slow it can only mean one thing. There coming to an end.  Nothing more to follow.

And speaking of the end folks,

this concludes the 2nd part

to Rhythms of the cd "H Asfaltos Pou Trehi"

I hope you were enlightended to read this as much I as I enjoyed writing it.

Thanks for reading this and allowing me to write it.

Now if you don't mind, it is Saturday night and I should be out dancing to some good Greek Music.

lols!!!  

:D

See yas all  in the forum.

Christo

:wow:  :D  :music:

I'm going to have to make fresh coffee and print this and then sit down to STUDY it - just reading won't do -  :blush:  :wow:  :wow:

Christo, THANK YOU!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Geeske, SQPR & everybody

Your Vevy Welcome

I'm now going to need a little break before

I attempt any more Huge Projects liek that again.

Can't wait to hear from Nikolas now.

see ya guys.

Christo, what can I say, it is really great what you did there. If you want me to confirm about tsifetelia, I do it.  :music:

As for 'Το κακό', you guessed right that I would classify it as a karsilamas if I was based on the music. And more specifically, as what I defined as 'palios karsilamas' which is indeed slower and goes exactly like this song. But don't forget Christo that karsilamas is basically a dance, and I would not dance this song like a karsilamas.

Once again, what a great job you did Christo  :( and how nice for us to have you here!  :cool:

This is what I like so much with all these members!

Everyone has his/her special small things to add and the whole is just amazing!!

Let's go on like this, Dalaras deserves it!!

14. 'Hasta Simpre'

This is the hardest one to decipher as it is a  Latin song with a Latin beat to it.

Since I'm only knowledgeable in Greek Rhtythms, I haven't a clue as to what this one Latin Beat is.

But if I had to take an educated guess at it,

I'll take a stab and call it a mixture between that of a SAMBA and a little BASSANOVA blended in.  Or vice a versa.

But in Greek it does resemble more of what we call

BOLERO OR  RUMBA.

Hey Maybe thats what it indeed is.

To what Christo said about Dalaras' record I ASFALTO POU TRECHEI", I have to add that it is a very good and passionate job indeed.

Now, about the song "Hasta Siempre", it is a guajira (Cuban type of song). I know about it because I have got all the collection of Carlos Puebla's songs, and I studied them when I was a Grammar school student, during our Spanish lessons. Our Spanish teacher was crazy about them. So am I. I must say I don't like very much what singers like Farantouri or Dalaras made of the song, although both interpretations are quite interesting. Anyway, I do believe that several interpretations of a song by the same singer or by different singers are absolutely necessary for it to remain poetical, that is to say, creative.

:mad:

Francois  

Thanks so much for informing me what style of song that rhythm is.

Up to this point, I hadn't a clue for the interpretations of Latin music.  It's good to know others in here can help out and give us members feedback when were lost in the dark sort of speak.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the version Dalaras sang of this great poem song.

I remember speaking to a fellow from Argentina once not too long ago on ICQ and he told me he is, "very fond of Dalaras singing that song becuase of the great commander and general

Che Guevara was".

Tell me what style or rhythm does 'Carlos Pueblo' sing and/or play the song in?

BTW, where does Farantouri come into this topic?

:mad:

Dear Christo, I mentioned Farandouri because she sang the song "Hasta siempre" too.

Carlos Puebla's songs were almost all the same style as "Hasta siempre", guajira style, very emotional songs about revolutionary heroes of Latin America or about US imperialism.

As far as Dalaras' interpretation of the song is concerned, it is not that I do not like it. The fact is, Christo, that it does not add anything to the song itself. Yet, I think that it was nice from Dalaras to record it and present it to the Greek people, because his way of singing it is much better than Farandouri's.

I also think that it was nice from Dalaras to record it because it is a singer's job to add new meanings to works that have already been sung. Dalaras is great at doing so!

See you Christo!

The fact is, Christo, that it does not add anything to the song itself. [...] I ... think that it was nice from Dalaras to record it because it is a singer's job to add new meanings to works that have already been sung. Dalaras is great at doing so!

My last post seems a bit contradictory, I meant that it did not add anything MUSICALLY. It is all very clear in my head, but my way of communicating it to people isn't !  :mad:

I found the following article in my Dalaras archive.It's from the newspaper,Radikal.The title drew my attention.

"Dalaras cildirdi=Dalaras has gone mad" :music::music::D

(referring to the song,Trelos Gia Sena-Mad About You)

S Gursu :wow:

post-11-1031130897.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead