Andonis

Η άσφαλτος που τρέχει

121 posts in this topic

Ta fantasmata.... From his inability to get inspiration ...to his metophorical -hopefully - jump to fire...to his trip to the "underworld" and later on to the desert...and, finally, to the conclusion that he cannot escape!

This song may sound like a "common song" but if it had been performed by any other performer, it would have helped him to become very famous!

You see, the "common songs" that D sings are actually masterpieces...

:D

Something that I didn't notice anybody being curious about: In the song H Asfaltos pou trexei : the name Aldebaran is mentioned. Do you know what is it?

Aldebaran is by far the brightest, and therefore the Alpha, star of the constellation Taurus (its Left eye).

It is a red giant star, with a diameter about forty times the Sun's and

the name Aldebaran - of arabic origin: Al Dabaran - means "he who follows", because it apparently follows the Pleiades in the sky.

To make this message a little bit "spicy": Some of the people who didn't know its significance (and who didn't like D very much) claimed that Aldebaran was the performance's....lover!!!!!!! :)

Of course I gave them the right explanation and as a reply I got their ...disapointment!

Regardless my knowledge of Arabic language I failed to find the exact Arabic word. I asked some of my friends but still they didn't know. Maybe I should ask an expert.

Auuu.

What a kind of a narrow-minded (and/or not educated) person could have thought it out, with this "lover" suspicion?

And I was always thinking, Greek people are ones, good educated in astronomy and related sciences, because of the sea explorations...... From your info I understood, they are Greeks indeed, if they know Giorgos Dalaras' name?

Maybe is the text of "Asphaltos" not the easiest one, but the motives like "astra", kosmos" and, finally, Aldebaran, could make sense even to a superficial reader......

Ridiculous lack of knowledge, that's all.

Thank you for detailed infomations to this star and for the meaning of the name. :)

PS. We have even here a member with this nick, althought lately not so very active.

Well Greeks are (or should I say were?) good in astronomy...but you can't expect from every single person to know each star's name.

Personally I knew Aldebaran from...Enya! From her album "The Celts" which includes a song named Aldebaran. Otherwise, I'm not interested (and I don't believe) in Astrology :(

People's reaction was due to their bad intention :D

Anyway, the song is excellent. The tunes are global: percussions... strngs...greek instruments, then on the second half electric guitar in a definite zeibekiko rhythm...The long notes of D (mhn klepsane ta astra) sounds like a red idian prayer. Man, he performs a choir's work!

Something remarcable: Gunaikes ths anatrophs...

When I first heard it on the radio it sounded like "gunaikes ths 'anatolhs' kardia kai fantasia"...and I was disapointed, somewhat, when I realised the difference. My friends and I, thought that "anatolh" fits more the meaning...

Zoudiarhs didn'tmake a song...he created an epic musical masterpiece.

About Me8usmenh Barka: Has anybody listened to the original one?

If yes, which performance is better and why?

;)

Panos, I was not aware there was an original one.

When, where, who?

Details please

:mad:

I don't have the CD with me (nor the booklet), but the music is by J.Fearnley. I think it is the Greek version of the song.

That's why I'm asking if anybody knows the original...

:rolleyes:

I am still too shocked to comment.

I didn't know until I went surfing last night.

Dalaras singing Sting - no problem.

Dalaras singing Jethro Tull - startling, but OK.

But this is Dalaras singing a cover of THE POGUES !!!

THE POGUES, guys, don't you know them? Whisky-soaked, head-banging, foul-mouthed, black-bitter folk-rock... oh, forget it, I'm not doing them justice. Follow the link and listen.

IMHO, the greek version is, musically, total treason of the original. He should get together with Vasilis Papakonstantinou to do it justice!

I have got hold of the Pogues song and even turned it to mp3

(yes I know about piracy killing music but I think in this case it's the opposite)

so anyone interested is welcome to ask.

:)

Geske, Hi

I'm confused. I couldnt believe my ears when I heard it. But you are right? This song really is 'METHISMENI VARKA' or should I say "DRUNKEN BOAT"

How did you find this song by the Pogues?

Now I'm really puzzled

:blink:

When was this english song recorded?

And who is the Original Artist then?

Wait well actually I think I know the answer.

According to the CD-Running Roads:

It was interpreted in Greek Lyrics by Manos Xydous

but borrowed from the music J. Fearnley.

So I guess my hunch is this J. Fearnley must be from that group the Pogues. And it was interesting hearing there Mix as his composition is quite fast, lively, and more upbeat then then the Greek version.

Still I liked it better in Greek I think, for the words (being sung so fast & with a heavy dialect) was not easy to decipher so well in english either.

And I agree that the lead singer in the Progues sounds similar to the lead singer Ian Anderson from the Rock Group Jethro Tull.

Well Christo now I became confused too.:)

About the "investigations" regarding Me8usmenh Barka.

I thought it had been a wide "multidisciplinary approach". Now, by reading again the page, I realised that it was only Geske, you and me who were discussing about the song and its original performance.

Wasn't there anybody from France with us? Or maybe Olga?

I agree that the Greek version is better - without listening to the French one - because I know that when Dalaras sings somebody's else song, always prforms better than the original. :):)

This is getting more and more mixed-up.

For Christo:

Methysmeni varka is a Greek version of an English song - what they call a "cover" in the music business I believe.

The Greek version did not change the melody at all, though the orchestration is very different, and the lyrics, of course, are in Greek.

The original song is called "Drunken boat", music and lyrics by James Fearnley. The original version is on the record "Waiting for Herb" released by The Pogues in 1993.

And James Fearnley is an important member of the band, playing accordion, piano, clarinet and mouth percussion.

For Panos:

I don't think there exists a French version of this song.

It's "Krymena kleidia" (same album) which is supposed to be from a French original.

For anyone interested:

Dalaras' singing is incomparable. Whatever he sings.

(long silence). I admit thought that I like the orchestration, rythm, and "bite" of the original "Drunken boat" better than the more "smooth" greek version.

Thanks Geske

I'm understanding a lot better now.

Tell me though, where are the Progues from again?

I mean which Country England, Ireland, Denmark or the Netherlands?

I just can't seem to remember.

And I wonder what James Fearnley thinks of his composition today orchestrated in Greek and sung none other then by Dalaras and Stokas?

Στο ένθετο "Βιβιλιογραφίες" του Διφώνου Ιανουαρίου, έχει συνέντευξη του Μιχάλη Γκανά στον Σπύρο Αραβανή, στην οποία αναφέρονται και στο τραγούδι "Εσωτερικές ειδήσεις" (Μουσική: Μιχάλης Χριστοδουλίδης).

Παράθυρα που κούρασε η θέα, Εσωτερικές ειδήσεις, Έλα να πάμε στα καμένα αλλά και Λιανοτράγουδο, Μαύρα πιόνια, Για των ματιών σου το χρώμα. Αν και όλα επιτυχημένα, ποιο περιεχόμενο γραφής πιστεύετε πως σας ταιριάζει καλύτερα ως χαρακτήρα;

Δεν θα σου πω ποιο ταιριάζει καλύτερα, αλλά μια ιστορία σχετικά με το επιτυχημένο που είπες. Πριν από χρόνια, όταν είχε βγει ο δίσκος του Νταλάρα Η ’σφαλτος που Τρέχει, στο Δίφωνο, νομίζω, υπήρχε μια συζήτηση για τα νέα τραγούδια και κάποιος είχε πει: «Ποιος θα ακούσει σήμερα το τραγούδι Εσωτερικές ειδήσεις;». Αυτό είναι κάτι που δεν το χωράει το μυαλό μου. Αν σήμερα δεν μπορείς να ακούσεις αυτούς τους στίχους, πότε μπορείς; Και πράγματι, αυτό το τραγούδι δεν ακούστηκε. Ποιος το κάνει όμως αυτό; Ποιος κρίνει αν πρέπει να περάσει ή να μην περάσει ένα τραγούδι;

Αυτός που έχει το μέσο έχει και το μαχαίρι...

Δεν είναι μόνο τι προβάλλουν, είναι και τι αποσιωπούν... Και αυτό είναι πιο ύπουλο. Γιατί δεν λένε τίποτα... Δεν εκτίθενται...

Οι "Εσωτερικές ειδήσεις" είναι ένα από τα πιο αγαπημένα μου τραγούδια αυτού του δίσκου. Από τις πρώτες ακροάσεις θυμάμαι έντονα πως ήταν ένα απ' αυτά που είχα ξεχωρίσει εξ' αρχής, και το άκουγα πάρα πολύ. Πράγματι όταν βγήκε δεν ακούστηκε όσο θα άξιζε. Πάντως ο Νταλάρας καλά έκανε και το τραγούδησε πέρυσι σε κάποιες εκπομπές. Θα ήθελα πολύ όμως να το άκουγα κι από τα ραδιόφωνα.

".

More recently, Mondo Melodia issued a single-disc version of Dalaras album The Running Roads , originally issued in Greece by Minos-EMI as a two-CD set. Along with an array of songs in Greek by some of Greeces best-known pop composers and lyricists are two tunes featuring internationally acclaimed stars that bookend the album. The opening selection is a duet with musical nomad Sting together they perform the Englishmans Mad about You. (Label founder Copeland is Stings manager the former Police frontman often appears on Mondo Melodia projects these days.) The closing selection is a fiery Spanish-language rendition of Carlos Pueblas Hasta Siempre, an ode to Che Guevara that features noted guitarist Al Di Meola.

The practical reasoning for cutting it down, says Dalaras, was that two discs with 28 songs was too much material for a foreign edition. But there were other considerations as well, he admints. For the American and European versions of The Running Roads, the album became a selection of what could be characterized as ethnic songs, in which there are modern sounds but at the same time-paradoxically-Greek instruments. What we took out were the songs that were chiefly for the Greek public, who has a deep knowledge of Greek music from its roots. For the foreign version, aside from Mad about You and the arrangement of Hasta Siempre, we kept contemporary Greek songs from composers such as LAAvrentis Macheritsas and Michalis Christodoulidis. That is to say, we kept the ballads, which I think are an easier draw for a foreign audience.

I ask him what someone who isnt familiar with Greek music should know before embarking on a trip down his Running Roads. I think that if you havent heard any before youre not obliged to learn anything, he states. But he continues on slyly. Certainly though, such a listener misses out on a music with authenticity, with interesting Mediterranean influences, with profound roots, with melody, with difficult but exceptional rhythms. Clearly, Dalaras thinks that if youre not listening to Greek music-and particularly his adored rembetika, which he calls a pathos-ridden and touching as blues, flamenco and Portuguese fado-then youre definitely missing out.

One of Dalaras great gifts, and those of his lyricist and composer colleagues, is to reference older traditions like rembetika and dimotika (folk music) in a contemporary setting. From the new album, the song The Overcoat puts the smyrneika style front and center. Smyrneika is the music of Greeks who lived in Asia Minor and its replete with florid ornamentation and microtones. Dalaras, who began his career playing guitar, performs on the oud here, and his voice shifts subtly from a plainspoken pop delivery to the slides and curling flourishes of a more eastern style. The next track, The Old Soldier, offers the forces of a bouzouki band: bouzouki, accordion, baglama (a small plucked string instrument), guitars bass, drums, percussion, and a female singer named Eleni Tsaligopoulou, a star in her own right. Together, Dalaras and Tsaligopoulou offer soaring, stridently declaimed vocals over the punctuating strums of the array of stringers: Your fears and my fears/On the same table/Between them our poison/Sweet like syrup. The title track offers hypnotic, near-chanting vocals underlaid by growling electric guitars and a delicately plucked baglama.

"

the whole article you get here:

http://www.globalrhythm.com/WorldMusicFeat...pRoadRunner.cfm

Με αφορμή μια συζήτηση που έχει ξεκινήσει στο Musicheaven, το μέλος delta66 (Σπύρος Δέλτας) γράφει κάποια πράγματα για την ηχογράφηση του δίσκου που μου άρεσαν και θεωρώ ότι είναι καλό να βρίσκονται εδώ:

Για να μη συνεχιστουν αλλο οι υποθετικες αναφορες, και αφου συμμετειχα στο δισκο αυτο ως μουσικος (ηταν η πρωτη φορα που συνεργαστηκα μαζι του) θα πω οτι επεσε στην αντιληψη μου και μονο.

Ο Νταλαρας δεν αφηνει να "πεσει καρφιτσα", ειναι μεσα σε ολα και συνεργαζεται απευθειας με ολους.

Ειναι μπροστα ακομα και στους καφεδες, πως θα φτιαχτουν smiley-biggrin.gif

(Στον καινουριο δισκο που ετοιμαζει, ηθελε ανημερα της γιορτης του πριν δυο βδομαδες, να ειναι στο στουντιο που ηχογραφουσαμε με τον συνθετη).

Στην "Ασφαλτο" ειδικα επεσε πολυ δουλεια και συνεργασια σε ολους τους τομεις.

Δεν ειχα ξαναδει τετοιο πραγμα.

Ειναι δυνατον να μην "συνεργαστηκε" με τον Sting?? (ή με τον Meola για το τραγουδι του Che που ηχογραφηθηκε? Μεχρι και ο ηχοληπτης του Μeola - ελληνοαμερικανος, Πουλος λεγοταν αν θυμαμαι καλα - ηρθε στο στουντιο για να βοηθησει κι αυτος απο τη μερια του)

Πχ τα καναλια που ακουγονται στη τελικη μιξη που εχει βγει στο κοινο, δεν ειναι ουτε το 1/4 απο αυτα που δουλευτηκαν και ηχογραφηθηκαν.

πχ σε ενα τραγουδι μπορει να ειχαν ηχογραφηθει και 120 καναλια, πριν επιλεχθουν μιξαριστουν και μεινουν αυτα που ακογουνται στο cd.

Μιλαμε γα τρελη παραγωγη και εξοδα.

Στο στουντιο γιναταν παρελαση καθε μερα απο συνθετες και στιχουργους του cd (ηταν και διπλο το cd με πολλα τραγουδια).

Αυτη η τελειομανια ή αγαπη για αυτο που κανει (οπως το δει κανεις), φυσικα εχει τα πλεονεκτηματα, εχει και τα μειονεκτηματα του.

Καποιοι συνεργατες του μπορει να μην αντεχουν αυτην την πιεση ή ενιοτε τις παρεμβασεις του.

Οπως και να εχει ομως εκ του αποτελεσματος (δλδ της επιτυχιας του μεσα στα χρονια), ποιος θα αφηνε την τυχη της δουλεια του σε αλλα χερια?

(πχ μανατζαραιων, που οι περισσοτεροι δεν ξερουν την τυφλα τους μουσικα - και πολλοι ουτε τα διαδικαστικα δεν μπορουν να φερουν εις περας)

Το αν αρεσει το αποτελεσμα της δουλειας ειναι καθαρα υποκειμενικο θεμα και δεν μπορει καποιος που ειτε του αρεσει ειτε οχι, να κατηγορηθει γιαυτο.

Το αν ειναι καποιος ευθικτος και αντιδρα ετσι, παλι δεν μπορει να τον κατηγορησει καποιος για αυτο, ασχετα αν δεν συμφωνει ή δεν του αρεσει.

Εγω δεν θα ασχολιομουν καν.

Ισως εκανα και εγω αντιπλακα αντι να το γυρισω στο σοβαρο.

ΥΓ Παντως ο Πανουσης που τον κατηγορει για τα εσοδα, αν τα βαλω κατω μου εχει "κοστισει" ως "πελατης" του πολυ περισσοτερο απο οτι ο Νταλαρας. smiley-biggrin.gif

Κατι εξωφρενικα εισιτηρια βαζει.

5 people like this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead