Andonis

Η άσφαλτος που τρέχει

121 posts in this topic

And, Sarper, go on! What about significant points or the "atmosfera" of this article? Let us know a bit, ok? Thanks in advance!

Olga,the article is not a new one.It was published on 29.09.2001 after the release of "I Asfaltos Pou Trehi".The article is mainly about it.But also tells about Dalara's career and calls him "the greatest Greek singer" :music:

S Gursu

Aha, thanks, Sarper! And he IS that in fact. Perhaps not the greatest singer of the whole contemporary Greek music (I mean the times from about 1950), but nowadays....

I bought this CD recently in Chambery. It was the only Dalaras CD available here. I must say I was disappointed when I listened to it. I prefer older songs.

Everyone has their own views, and favourites of course, but I would definitely recommend investing some time in listening to this CD, Antoine, in spite of your first impressions. It has some really great songs.

Antoine,

come then back to:

CD 1:

Palios stratiotis

Iptameno xali

Ximeromata (but watch out! the following "Paris" is such a different thing, that the both one after anoither seems unbearable, at least for me);

CD 2:

Nichterida

Louloudi

Me tis kardias ton xtipo

Some of the texts are already translated, look into them, hey are important!

PS. I am aso a lover of Giorgos Dalaras' old songs, I am just playing again and again the whole "Na'xame, ti na'xame...."

:)

I saw today on ERT a small part of a videoclip made to "Palios stratiotis".

Anyway as a story of a young couple, where Giorgos Dalaras helps to a boy to find again a girl with "vammena kokkina mallia", and afterwards the young people jump, with no harm, from a relative high roof in a city.

And Giorgos Dalaras is looking smiling on them.

What I saw, was just a minute, not more.

Therefore no info, who and when was the author of the videoclip.

Anybody saw this an could answer then, please?

It was a nice picture. Even if it does not suit my own imaginations to this song.

I have the whole clip on a video cassette. It was broadcast one or two years ago on TV5 - they had a 24-hour programme about Greece, and showed some very interesting things (a film about Kavvadias for example). The trouble is that I don't know where the cassettes are. They must be somewhere, but where exactly???? :blush::pity::blush::razz::razz: :lol: :(:pity::blush: :blink: :huh: :lol: :(:blush:

Only the cat is in the right place in this house... :razz:

But if you do insist, I'll try and make an effort to find the thing out... I don't like video clips in general, but that one was rather nice... :rolleyes:

But if you do insist..... Francois, you don't know me yet? Certamente si!!!!!

(a pity you don't know one of our greatest actresses playing the role of an Italian and our queen Bona Sforza..... oooch, what an intonation it had.....)

I was lucky enough to get some older CDs from Dalaras that I can't get in Portugal-thanks to some members' generosity- and I must say that the more I listen to them the more I find H Asphaltos Pou Trehei of less quality, despite some good songs in it.

Ok, as long as noone wants to re-start - specially you Olga - I'll restart with something... :)

The only song which I did not enjoy too much in the CD was To Palto.... It was still "late-twenty-century-skuladistioko" (skuladistiko= song you find in "skuladika")....! And "klapsiariko"! :pity:

I enjoyed it much in its live version in Zugos.... :)

Ainte...akoniste ta maxairia :)

I think it's a generally under-valued album.

I'll never forget the shock when I first put it on. I had NO idea back then, all I knew of Dalaras was the "classics" - and then suddenly η άσφαλτος! (the song, δλδ.).

I was shocked out of my wits and couldn't stop listening.

And then a few weeks later he came and sang some of it live (in Den Haag) and the audience was completely lost...

But even I, who, like I said, adored it from the first measure, even I under-value it. Only about a month ago I discovered I'd completely overlooked an extremely good, "deep", song: εσωτερικές ειδήσεις .

And about the same time I finally "got it" with το κακό, which is also much better at the n-th hearing, than at the first.

And so on.

part of the the problem is, I guess, that there are too many too good songs, and my ears are too small to take them all in at once.

When I got it..I recorded it on tape for my friend Paul...

Few days later I asked him: What do you think of the album?

He said: I'm still listening to H Asfaltos pou trexei!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some songs are undervalued at the first time (including Nuxterida, Me ths Kardias ton Xtupo)...Others are thought to be just "good" (Matia Kastana, Akraia sumptwmata) but when someday you experience the subject the songs are triggering...you feel that they are so deep...

:)

Dear Natalie,

Notice the diference: H Asfaltos is a studio recording of NEW songs...so it needs promotion.... :) as all of its songs are new...

Mazi is a collection of masterpieces. So it is not strange that the CD doesn't need a big push...plus it is for sure an excellent collection. :):)

Μυ φαωοριτε ... oops. I forgot to switch to an English keyboard. I mean to say, my my favorite song on the album (that I have heard; after all this time, I still only have the incomplete rip-off single CD version) is Ο Παλιός Στρατιώτης This song embodies the essence of ζεϊμπέκικο for me. The verses are slow and mournful (unbelievably so), and the refrain is powerfully emotional.

When I heard the song reinterpreted on Από Καρδίας, I was initially very, very disappointed. It seemed almost sinister--angry instead of sad--with the different instrumentation and faster tempo. After listening some more, however, I do appreciate it now--almost as a different song. I do think the audience really screwed up singing along because no one--not even Dalaras it seemed--was used to the quicker temp. I wonder why they choose to do that. :)

I love Μάτια Καστανά because it's a mixture of Greek and Western influences that doesn't sound stupid like most contemporary attempts do to my ears. In fact, I think it's incredible and should be longer. Moreoever, the lyricist ... Μιχάλης Γκανάς ... continues to stun me every time I listen. I can't really comment on whether the song is meaningful because I don't speak Greek and don't really understand the English translation, but just listening to the sounds of the syllables and the rhythm of the words ... Αχ!

I could comment on the rest of the tracks, but I am procrastinating at the moment and should begin my homework. Farewell.

I must declare that my up-date news about Dalaras were always limited at that time...but the only song I knew that it was performed in public was Hasta Siempre (I read it in the description of Iera Odos 3).

The reast of them were new (except the 4 included in the single).

The problem is that there are so many goos songs that you can't notice them all at once...it takes time till you "digest" the CD :)

Matia kastana... be sure Antometrios that the lyrics are very very very very very very very very very very x 1000000000 GOOD! :)

As I mentioned before...each Dalaras song represents something in my life (that's why D is my favorite artist). So the best way to understand if a song with "weird" lyrics is good or not-so-good....is to see if you can identify yourself with the artist...

Fortunately (or should I say UN-fortunately?) one day I found myself "drowned" in ...Matia Kastana :)

When I heard the song reinterpreted on Από Καρδίας, I was initially very, very disappointed.

You heard the original version on η άσφλατος. The live version in από καρδιάς was made after he'd been playing/singing the song for at least a year and a half.

Natalie, you make a good point. I think the only song I ever expected to have a similar meaning to what it actually did have was Stin Alana. That song is brilliant because it actually creates the image of an execution without the lyrics. The instrumental before the refrain reminds me of a firing squad.

Matia Kastana isn't nearly as loud as Paraponemena Logia, I think. What are the most powerful Dalaras songs, anyway? I'm thinking that one, Ilie Mou Se Parakalo, Harokopou 1952-1953, Thelo Na Ta Po, and perhaps Una Moneda Le Di could be up there.

Anyway, I'm excited because I just learned I'm getting a bouzouki as a gift from Mana. And possibly joining a Greek band. Today has been good thus far. I will now buy two Dalaras CDs before ruining everything with homework. Farewell.

Natalie, the translations you have read are nothing more than sub-titles, that is, no better than ouzo without either the smell or the alcohol!

The (good) greek song lyrics are poems, and the translationsI've seen (or made) are definitely NOT poems. They have no music inside the words, no rythm, no atmosphere. They can give you an idea of "what it's about", they can help you understand the greek while you're learning it, but they are a crib, not a substitute.

I agree that you can listen perfectly well to Dalaras as to "instrumental music", where the voice is the solo instrument in the music. I did it for ten years, I ought to know.

But once you start on the lyrics, once you start to "get it"........ well, I what it did to me may be a bit extreme, but...... there is definitely a world to gain, and nothing to lose.

I like poetry well enough, the deeper the better.

But, as a friend of mine once put it: I prefer my poetry sung

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead