Natalie

Who are the Dalaras fans?

144 posts in this topic

I just reread the posts - and could not hold myself from posting this: probably, looking for common traits between the Dalaras fans (or friends) is impossible in the same way as to find them in people liking listening to music or reading books. I just forced myself to listen to that latest CD "Ta tragoudia pou sou grafo" (1st time failed). To me both the music and lyrics sounded completely plain and not at all distinctive for Dalaras. In addition, they did not give space for his voice (although I agree with Michael that he had feeling, but these songs are so dull (speaking for myself only) that his voice sounded dull, too. I would not give this CD to anyone to introduce them to Dalaras - I would hide it from them! I believe, he does not sing such songs in concerts (as far as I know?).

However, I like most of Yannena's songs (e.g. letter for Anna) - mentioned it because of both Michael and Natalie negative opinion.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

He sings to express himself + please the audience: I beleave he thinks "I like it, so will they like it, too?". Without this constant exchange there would be no music.

That's artistic value.

But I as the listener am not obliged to like or to approve the result. And although I am not strictly against this philosophy ("I like it, so will they like it, too?") it is no guarantee for artistic value. I assume that many artists will say the same (= "I like it, so ...."), including all the commercial singers as Antzela Dimitriou, Vissi, Pantasis etc. Ask the members here if they think that these singers have artistic value ... :)

If he starts (or started) thinking "is it different enough from others?", "is it innovative enough?", it will all become artificial or packaged for sale.

I agree with you. (Independent of who is the artist.)

As for the rembetika music which is not supposed to be combined with other than bouzouki - is it so necessary to classify music in this way: belongs to rembetika, classical, anatolian, western, demotiko and must be kept within the original limits?

You (respectively a musician) can do everything. As I mentioned above, you can also combine classical music with bouzouki. (And now, when I am writing this, I remember that this indeed happened: Thanasis Polykandriotis - a famous composer and bouzouki player - once played some of Brahms' "Hungarian Dances" on the bouzouki, accompanied by a symphonic orchestra. Though Polykandriotis is one of my favourite Greek composers - and of course a fantastic bouzouki player - I could not see much sense in such experiments and to me the result sounds quite poor.) Of course it is not necessary to classify music (or anything else) and you can mix everything. The question is, if the result is satisfying (and that's of course a matter of taste).

Is a rembetika composer confined to keep to strict rules? Stin Arapia in particular (I think) is more romantic than typical rembetika songs, and well suited for being included in this type of program like The Israeli Orchestra. To mine unsophisticated ears that short orchestra introduction conveys feeling of misterious and romantic anticipation.

But here you forget that in our example it is not the composer himself (Tsitsanis) who changed the character of the song. :) But besides from this, I can repeat what I said above: Everyone can write or arrange or sing or perform what he likes (and it is even quite probable that he will find a public who will appreciate the result). But I am not obliged to like and to appreciate this result too (and I am not feeling a "bad" person when I also say it). Not even if the singer is Dalaras.

Now back to language confusion: I meant by elite certainly not people who listen to classical music (Oh boy, where our civilization is heading?), but professional musicians and professional critics whose ears are deafened by too much technicalities. They are very ready to catch a false note, crack in the voice, etc. , and disregard feeling, emotion, human connection which (in my humble opinion) is the main component of artistic value. Artists who have it combined with high professional level are comparatively rare.

O.k. Sorry. So this was a misunderstanding from my side concerning the word "elite". And I agree fully with your impression about professional musicians and critics. I belong neither to the one nor to the other group and so my listening surely is not influenced by technical details etc. But of course it is influenced by certain "listening experiences". And so it is easy to recognize that (for example) the symphonic introduction of the song "Stin Arapia" (whether you like it or not) has nothing to do with this song. Or (second example) after having listend to almost all records with Dalaras it is obvious that on his last CD his voice does not sound good (or let's say: by far not so good as we know it from almost all his other records).:) Well, after this you can also say "I like Dalaras so much that I also like the way he sings on this CD". O.k. Everyone is free to do so. But first of all everyone should be so realistic to accept the situation as it is. And it was positive to see that here in the Forum even some people who regard themselves as friends of Dalaras were so "objective" (= realistic) not to deny that Dalaras' voice on this CD does not sound as we were accustomed to it. I think that such realistic evaluations may distinguish an artist's "wise" fan / friend / admirer (etc.) from a blind (= in this case: deaf :music: ) fanatic. (A remark that may lead us also a little bit back again to Natalie's topic. :) )

I remember a while ago I was ordering CDs from a Canadian Web store where it was possible to read buyers' comments and responses to the comments while selecting a CD. In response to various (many times negative) comments about Dalaras' disks one guy always posted exactly the same text  (approximately, as I remeber) "Dalaras is one of greatest singers of all times. We are lucky to happen to live at the same time with him." As funny, as it sounds (the guy was very much derided for that), such artists are really very rare (no fanaticism, just fact, and by the way, there are some songs I don't like).

Although I feel very uncomfortable when saying something which most likely I have in common with the fanatics, I will not keep it secret: I think that this guy's statement is right!! ;) (Only the fact that he posted it again and again shows that he seems to belong to the fanatics. :) )

I I would not give this CD to anyone to introduce them to Dalaras - I would hide it from them! I believe, he does not sing such songs in concerts (as far as I know?).

However, I like most of Yannena's songs (e.g. letter for Anna) - mentioned it because of both Michael and Natalie negative opinion.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

:)

Hey Vitaly

I'm puzzled by your last reply

Maybe you were drinking lots of Ouzo when you wrote this

No? ok Never mind

LOLS

:lol:

just to let you know FYI:

we are completely the opposite

well almost

I would never give the Yannena Cd to introduce someone music of Dalaras to them, but maybe I do agree a little about the new cd

in that too is not an appropriate one to bring someone new an Introduction to Dalaras music.

The Cd is not as Strong and Vibrant as his past. That much is Certain,

but it is not Bad either. I only wish there more songs on there With Zest full of Life and Psihi.

The problem is in him singing Lower Tones now then as he did before.

So we have him as a Honeysweet Voice instead of from in the past as of "HoneyLemon" where the man can bellow out those highs

:)

p.s. Dont forget the man has had a surgical operation on his throat near his Adams Apple would be. You can see it visible on his neck if you look close enough when he's singing and that too could explain why he sings softer now.

Did he need this surgery? was this caused by him singing harsh and rough over the past 30 yrs? Honestly, I do not know

but it could be so who else knows?

:blink: :)

.)
As for the rembetika music which is not supposed to be combined with other than bouzouki - is it so necessary to classify music in this way: belongs to rembetika, classical, anatolian, western, demotiko and must be kept within the original limits?

You (respectively a musician) can do everything. As I mentioned above, you can also combine classical music with bouzouki. (And now, when I am writing this, I remember that this indeed happened: Thanasis Polykandriotis - a famous composer and bouzouki player - once played some of Brahms' "Hungarian Dances" on the bouzouki, accompanied by a symphonic orchestra. Though Polykandriotis is one of my favourite Greek composers - and of course a fantastic bouzouki player - I could not see much sense in such experiments and to me the result sounds quite poor.) Of course it is not necessary to classify music (or anything else) and you can mix everything. The question is, if the result is satisfying (and that's of course a matter of taste).

Hi Michael

You know its interesting

I actually have this cd you're talking about and I too had wondered why Thanassis did this since he doesn't seem to compose or play Greek music anymore.

On the other hand, He from that moment had 1st introduced me to Brahm's music and for that matter Hungarian Music and to be honest with you it was quite good as I've never heard it before nor most likely never would have either if it wasnt for him on this project he did.

I liked it. Not on every Greek Track there but the 1st song Definately. It sounded almost Greek at least the Scales and Mode it was played in. Very close from Hungary being next to Greece probably

Anyhow, the song was a Fast 2/4 "Hasoporserviko" and could have easily pass as that of a Greek Bouzouki number even though its origin is not from Greece. But in Hungarian and from that of the arrangements of Polykandriotis it is.

And it gives the viewer (the audience) how the Bouzouki would sound with the Violins of an Orchestra playing together in this Symphonic Classical Music. To me it works good with some songs such as the 1st one. But maybe not on all of them,

well again that my taste and point of view on this

Apart from that I only heard the Bouzouki played on 1 other song that was not Greek and that was from a Ballad sung by Joan Faulkner & performed by Dalaras Band from his Live/Unplugged CD recorded in Frankfurt, Germany I think back in 1995.

However not released until 1998.

The song worked well even with the Bouzouki heard Live even though it was not recorded in the original studio recording with it. and the Bouzouksist was Makis Mavropoulos (who btw no longer plays with Dalaras orchestra anymore) and not sure where he is today.

Also, Mavropoulos can be heard and found playing with Al DiMeola at the Meadowlands Concert when Dalaras sang for Cyprus.

Mavropoulos did a little Taximi with DeMeolas Jazz solos. Again sounded pretty good and relavetively accurately to that style of music that was being played from both players.

I guess my question to you Michael is this

Do you think the Bouzouki can be played and expressed in other Non-Greek types of Music?

and if so, where would it fit and why? or Why not?

Keep in mind this, The Composer YANNI, was a Big Disappointment to me when he did his Tribute at the Acropolis Why you ask?

Because he Failed to Honor his Roots to Greece by featuring a little Bouzouki, or Clarinet at the end of his performance instead what did he do, he brung out some Female Opera singers and sang in French or Italian or whatever the language was in. Totally Unappropriate

2nd, When Yanni, performed in Australia, he had an Authentic Digeridoo player come up and play with him on stage and did a solo of his own for gosh knows how long. He was even dressed like an Aborigini too.

And again in Latin America, he features certain Traditional Domestic instruments in his Orchestra when performing there.

Why he Honors them abroad?

But when he was in Greece he Did NOT have anything Greek there and No Bouzoukia or Klarino to compliment the country of Greece and his Ethnic Heritage Nationality?

How can he show patronage and Homage to other countries and respect them with their instruments & Players but not from his own native land in Greece?

:mad:

That is UNFORGIVEABLE!!!

and No Excuse either

Hello Christo, you write a lot of interesting things in your two above postings and I will come back to them at another moment when I will have more time.

For now, I will concentrate on your most spectacular message:

p.s. Dont forget the man has had a surgical operation on his throat near his Adams Apple would be. You can see it visible on his neck if you look close enough when he's singing and that too could explain why he sings softer now.

Did he need this surgery?  was this caused by him singing harsh and rough over the past 30 yrs?   Honestly, I do not know

but it could be so who else knows?    :blink:  :(

:blink: :blink: :blink: :mad: This is (at least for me) a completely surprising news which I had never heard. And I conclude from the way you write about it, that it is a fact and not only a rumour. It is strange that nobody else here in the Forum mentioned anything about it (or perhaps did not want to do so) ... :confused: Anyway, perhaps this surgical operation is indeed the explanation for the drastic change of his voice. :pity:

PS: And I hope that now there will not start aggressive reactions of other members against Christo (or against me). If someone thinks that Christo's news is an error, he/she may tell it in an unemotional way. And if, on the contrary, the news is true, it was time to mention it!!

Hi, Christi:

Sorry if my opinion about the last CD shocked you. I did not say the CD is bad - I have stressed that it's strictly my persinal opinion, and that It was this type of songs I don't like. I was disappoiinted exactly because in my opinion they are not Dalaras songs - they don't give his voice space as opposed to oriental or makedonian songs or even many Western ballads that have those oriental elements).

Someone mentioned they avoid oriental songs - well I am the opposite. Different tastes, or whatever. And again, I was disappointed exactly because I like Dalaras - for me, it's wrong direction in his development on that CD. Not forcing my opinion on anybody.

And Michael - thanks for you patience.

I enjoyed the discussion.

Hola to all! I am a Latina female that love everything Greek. I wish I was Greek because Greek man are very best lovers! I am very happy to meet you because I like Dalaras music that make me think about Greece. But, please, may you forgive me, but he is not real man because I love his songs especially the soft ones but he is not like Yanni and I looooove Yanni very, very much, so I was insulted. Ok, I know that you do not want to insult, just say your mind but believe me Yanni is a real man and his music make me shiver and I dream in the arms of him. He uses his mustache strong like a man to please every woman! So, please do not say bad things about Yanni. He is reall proud Greek man! Viva Yanni and viva Dalaras!

shaylayanni5.jpg

shaylayanni3.jpg

Ooooh! Nikola send a special message just for me! I'm so happy! Thank you very much! :mad::confused::pity::(:(

Why not the beautiful Yanni pictures appear? ;)

Hi, Christo:

I just want to add - I perceive Dalaras is a unique phenomenon, not just one of many singers, that I happen to like more than others. But in that CD somehow that uniqueness disappeared - he sounded just like one of many - Vardas, Remos, one of the crowd even if better than most. What I mean by space for his voice is that the composer lays out a fundament on which he can improvise (and oriental music suits this very well). Theodorakis songs are also good for improvisation in their simplicity characteristic of a genius he is. Those songs on the last CD perhaps are too structured for improvisation. That's my impression of a lay person.

Did he need this surgery? was this caused by him singing harsh and rough over the past 30 yrs? Honestly, I do not know

but it could be so who else knows?

Whats about that surgery? Is it true? When was it?

Dalaras sell many records because he is beautiful man that sings well and is sexy for the age he has!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Dolores obviously represents a new type of Dalaras fan here in the Forum. The spectrum of "Who are the Dalaras fans" broadens. :D:D :lol:

I make some efort to speak in Greek so I use babelfish! :D:D:D:D:D

O Dalaras είναι λίγο παλαιό για την ηλικία του αλλά είναι πολύ προκλητικό άτομο. Το Yanni είναι πολύ προκλητικό επίσης, ακόμη και περισσότεροι. Το Λατίνα womans είναι πάρα πολύ καυτό και σκέφτομαι ότι ο Έλληνας επανδρώνει είναι το καλύτερο στον κόσμο, έτσι θέλω να μιλήσω με το ελληνικό άτομο για να κάνω τους φίλους και ίσως κάτι περισσότερο όταν έρχεστε και επισκέπτεστε την καυτή Κολούμπια! Θέλω να χορεψω Yanni και η μουσική Dalaras με το ελληνικό άτομο, καυτά latinas μπορεί να κάνει να αγαπήσει όλη τη νύχτα! Είμαι ανεμιστήρας Dalaras επειδή τον συμπαθώ πάρα πολύ, πολύ προκλητικό σώμα και πολύ προκλητική φωνή, τα μάτια είναι πολύ καλά επίσης! Το Amor Amor είναι καλύτερο τραγούδι Dalaras αλλά συμπαθώ όλων ειδικά τα τελευταία αρχεία με το πραγματικά ώριμο άτομο Dalaras. :D:D:D:D:D

Είμαι ανεμιστήρας Dalaras

Here obviously babelfish leads to misunderstandings. :D As for the rest, the result is not bad. :D :lol:

QUOTE]

:blink: :blink: :blink: :D This is (at least for me) a completely surprising news which I had never heard. And I conclude from the way you write about it, that it is a fact and not only a rumour. It is strange that nobody else here in the Forum mentioned anything about it (or perhaps did not want to do so) ... :D Anyway, perhaps this surgical operation is indeed the explanation for the drastic change of his voice. :D

PS: And I hope that now there will not start aggressive reactions of other members against Christo (or against me). If someone thinks that Christo's news is an error, he/she may tell it in an unemotional way. And if, on the contrary, the news is true, it was time to mention it!!

Whats about that surgery? Is it true? When was it?

Hi guys

to answer both Michael and Annas

questions

1st let me say, I was really unaware no-one here knew of this.

I feel kind of wierd but honored in a wierd sort of way to 1st share and bring this news with you all. So it took me by surprise no one else knew about this.

Anyway, I too found this out out from inside info from a couple of members in here. And without really having their consent to reveal the source as I don't think they would mind being we are Dalaras Fans right! or at the neverleast we can be Dalaras Purists.

So I share with confidentially who 1st informed me and that the other members won't go ballistic and write a 100 p/ms to these 2 members.

drum roll please

dam da da dum,,,

I first heard it from Saranti the last time we talked

and recently again from Hristaki who said it took place approxiamtely 10 yrs ago.

:D

So you all don't be surprised now if Dalaras decided to retire in the next couple of years or so.

Christos, be CAREUL what you say about YANNI

Dolores, btw, Christos, in the USA...is still single and looking and he does have a moustache! :D

Hristaki :D:D

hey thats funny Hristaki

you fit my profile pretty good

now you can become the official matchmaker here

p.s. now i hope yu dont mind i revealed the source to the story

as I let the cat out of the bad sort of speak freely,

otherwise i can delete the thread if you wish

Ναι όντως!! Είναι ένας πολύ καυτός άντρας και χρειαζόμαστε ανεμιστήρες για να δροσιστούμε... :lol: :lol: :D

Hola to all! I am a Latina female that love everything Greek. I wish I was Greek because Greek man are very best lovers! I am very happy to meet you because I like Dalaras music that make me think about Greece. But, please, may you forgive me, but he is not real man because I love his songs especially the soft ones but he is not like Yanni and I looooove Yanni very, very much, so I was insulted. Ok, I know that you do not want to insult, just say your mind but believe me Yanni is a real man and his music make me shiver and I dream in the arms of him. He uses his mustache strong like a man to please every woman! So, please do not say bad things about Yanni. He is reall proud Greek man! Viva Yanni and viva Dalaras!

[

:D:D

Kalos Orizete

kai

Kalos Eirthes edomesa

Dolores

Hi Doloros welcome to the club,

and plese no pun intended on Yanni.

Believe it or not,

I wasn't attacking the guy, I simply stated he forgot to show tribute to Greece when he performed there.

Maybe then Yanni had started coming up with the idea of using the Traditional Folk Instruments after his Concert in Athens. I don't know just a guess!

But no need to worry, I like his music too, and I have even had a chance to meet the man the last time he was here on Tour. We managed to talk briefly. Send me a p/m and I'll tell you what was said.

Now you know, Doloros, Yanni is the only Artist so far

who has not changed any of his looks. Including to cutting his hair short or Trimming his Moustache much like all the artists have so far kept up in the new Millimeum Trend..

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure as how he would like if Yanni did this.

Maybe he wouldn't look Greek anymore but foreign

so with that I guess you'd probably say he should not do any changes

and to just keep himself the way it is on him

I will agree for now

once again Doloros welcoome to the club,

P.S. As I see that you've met the Artist, maybe you could write him in the future and ask him to do a Colloboration with Dalaras.

Yanni could compose a couple of good songs for Dalaras too sing. And Hopfeully soon before either one of them decides to retire

1st let me say, I was really unaware no-one here knew of this.

I feel kind of wierd but honored in a wierd sort of way to 1st share and bring this news with you all.   So it took me by surprise no one else knew about this.

Anyway, I too found this out out from inside info from a couple of members in here.  And without really having their consent to reveal the source as I don't think they would mind being we are Dalaras Fans right! or at the neverleast we can be Dalaras Purists.

So I share with confidentially who 1st informed me and that the other members won't go ballistic and write a 100 p/ms to these 2 members.

drum roll please

dam da da dum,,,

I first heard it from Saranti the last time we talked

and recently again from Hristaki who said it took place approxiamtely 10 yrs ago.

So you all don't be surprised now if Dalaras decided to retire in the next couple of years or so.

Christo, thank you for your explanations.

(Remarkable that besides from your answer and from Anna's question until now no member gave any comment about the news ...)

It is very good to hear from you! :D:D:D:D:D

Good to know you like Yanni too! I think he is very well the way he is, he do not need to change. People change. Why change when they are so fine? Not need. Dalaras is very good too and I think he can sing very good together with Yanni! :D:D:D:D:D

Unfortunately I don't know to dance the bely but I would like. There is schools who teach the dance. Maybe I can save money and learn, then I can dance for you one day! :D:D:D:D:D

Okay poli Orawa tora

very well put Dolores,

Now maybe Yanni will get the message to compose some good songs for Dalaras to sing

and if they are Good Danceable songs, we can dance to them Oli Mazi at parties and other events

Opa laikia

p.s. Tsifetelia separaklo

Ναι όντως!! Είναι ένας πολύ καυτός άντρας και χρειαζόμαστε ανεμιστήρες για να δροσιστούμε... :lol: :lol: :D

:blink: :blink: :blink: Αποστόλη...... :D:D:D

Μου φαίνεται ότι τελικά αυτή η σελίδα θα αλλάξει χρώμα.

Απο γαλάζια θα γίνει ροζ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Παιδιά, λυπάμαι πολύ και ζητώ εκ των προτέρων συγνώμη από πολλούς και κυρίως από τον Νικόλα γι' αυτό που θα πώ :D Συγνώμη που θα μιλήσω λίγο (ή πολύ) σκληρά, αλλά το συγκεκριμένο topic έτσι όπως εξελίχθηκε (ή μάλλον έτσι όπως κατάντησε) είναι ένα αίσχος και χαλάει την εικόνα όλου του φόρουμ! :D:D

Εύχομαι να μήν τύχει ΠΟΤΈ να το διαβάσει ο Νταλάρας! :D

Δεν είπα να μην έχουμε χιούμορ. Αλλά πάνω από όλα πρέπει να υπάρχει σεβασμός. Όχι σ' εμένα! Σεβασμός στον Νταλάρα και στον Νικόλα που ουσιαστικά μας φιλοξενεί σ' αυτή τη σελίδα.

Μόνο αυτό... :D