Geske

Κωνσταντίνος Καβάφης

37 posts in this topic

According to the site of Die Alte Oper, (see also 'upcoming concerts') Dalaras is going to sing some NEW songs at the October concert there, settings of poems by one Konstantinos Kavafis.

Who is that please, and is he any good?

OK, Soc, thanks for the warning, I'll get my pipe.

Michael, du bist ein Wunder und fast eine Enzyklopaedie, und ich danke dir sehr!

Wow, he certainly is famous!

And they sure like to put his poems to music - the discography on that third site is longer than the bibliography, not bad for a dead poet :)

I even recognized some of the composers' names - because of their work for/with Dalaras of course... (including that man Karozas who lives in Frankfurt - hehehe...)

But I could not find that Dalaras has sung any of the poems before - either because he hasn't, or, likely! because I haven't said the right things to Nikola's search engine :)

Geeske, no he hasn't yet...and also first follow the advice of soc, urgently please, and then visit all the sites Michael found. And then, if you have some spare money, buy the best album of Eleftheria Arvanitaki, "Tragoudia gia tous mines" or "Songs for the months" to listen to some of his poems as great songs indeed.

Kavafis says in his most famous poem:

"San vgis ston pigemo gia tin Ithaki, na efxesai na einai makris o dromos" if I recall it well.

This phrase is so famous among Greeks.

By the way soc, who is Odiseas Elitis. I saw that Dalaras has sung some of his poems. Is he any good?

Ok, Geeske, I am just teasing you now! Tonight I pass a night of teasing. Who will be the next victim...?

Was that teasing? Nikola, surely you can do better than that...

Do you know, I actually have one Kavafis song in my extremely limited record collection! "Voices", sung by guest star Joanne Faulkner on Dalaras' 'live and unplugged' album. It's the song I usually skip - LOL

And be careful what you say about Elytis - the one Greek poet I do know... :)

Geeske!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear to Dalaras Club, I was posting in the song of the day topic to mention the song "Voices" because I have just heard it on the radio and I remembered what a great song it is! And what a great voice this female singer has, Joan Faulkner. And here you come...is this telepathy?

ΚΑΒΑΦΗΣ Κ.Π was born in Alexandria Egypt on Aptril 17 of 1863. Like many times in the past of Greek Music it were poems that turned into songs and somebody invernted music with it.

With respect to Kavafhs this happened first in 1964 and for the last time in 1998: "Η ΛΥΓΕΡΗ ΚΑΙ ΧΑΡΟΣ"

Expanding my contribution to Elytes , born in 1911, and the same story. Εχπανδινγ μυ ψοντριβθτιον το Ελυτεσ

Odyseus, the music for "Axion Esti" was written still earlier than 1988. The first version (with Bithikotsis as singer) was released in 1964. The record of 1988 is a new interpretation.

I was reading a story on how Alkistis Protopsalti started her career. Her first album was called Tetralogia by Dimos Moutshs based on poems by KAVAFHS, Karyotakhs Seferhs and Ritsos.

So Geeske if you are still interested give it a try. Protopsalti quite good.

Just found the sites about Kavafi. I like his poems very much. I have a 'gedichtenbundel' (book with poems) of his in Dutch (found in the library in Hasselt !! Imagine that, where only a few Greeks live). I'm glad I can read the Greek - the one and only original !! - version too.

So Michael, thanks for the tip.

Geeske, the poem Voices is in Greek too. And I love it. The song sung by Joan Faulkner was already very beautiful, serene almost. And now I have the original version of the poem ! Great !

Does anyone know websites about Ritsos? I cannot find the first about him in the library.

Have a great day all of you,

Micki

The title of your book?

Is it:

The Mind & Art of C.P. Cavafy:

Essays on his live and work by E.M . Forster.

The book is part of THE ROMIOSYNI series

Studies and translations in the field of modern Greek Culture

If YES others can go for it

If NO here you got another title

Voor Geeske en andere mensen die Nederlands (of Vlaams, ik denk dat ik de enige ben) spreken.

Ik heb een boek uit de bieb geleend met gedichten van Kavafi. Odyseus3 vroeg me naar de titel van het boek. En daarna om het in de thread te zetten, wat natuurlijk een goed idee is. Nog veel natuurlijker (voor mij dan) is, is dat ik me het niet volledig meer herinner. En ik heb het boek niet meer.

Dit is wat ik nog weet: "Verzamelde gedichten" van K. Kavafi, 145 (?) gedichten, 95 verzen en anekdotes.

Vertaald door ??? (sorry herinner ik me niet meer), uitgegeven door (dacht ik) door Athenaeum Amsterdam (1994, maar van het jaar ben ik ook niet zeker meer).

Ik hoop dat dit voldoende is.

Ik ben een vreselijk warhoofd en mijn message naar Odyseus3 ben ik ook kwijt geraakt (net deze !).

In elk geval, het zijn hele mooie gedichten en ik hoop ze ooit in het Grieks te vinden. Er is trouwens een bundeltje van Kavafi "Als ik van mijn liefde niet kan spreken", de gedichten staan er in het Grieks en Nederlands in. Daar zal ik ook nog eens achter zoeken, want dat boekje heb ik.

Ik heb ook nog iets over het tijdschrift Lychnari, dat heb ik thuis, dus zal ik morgen door kunnen geven, tenzij jullie het al kennen natuurlijk.

Geia sas,

Anne-Mie

Met dank aan Odyseus3, die mijn verloren bericht heeft teruggezonden:

De volledige titel van het boek : "Verzamelde gedichten van K. P. Kavafis" - vertaald & ingeleid door G. H. Blanken - de 154 gedichten, de 95 jeugdverzen en de anekdota.

Uitg.: Athenaeum Polak & Van Gennep, Amsterdam 1994.

Lychnari gegevens (beste Nederlandstalige tijdschrift over Griekenland dat ik ooit las):

Maasland Uitgeverij

Tijdschrift Lychnari

Postbus 348

5340 AH Oss - Nederland

tel: 0412-628218, fax: 0412-651367 en e-mail: info@maasland.com.

Micki

Nog ιne in het Nederlands:

De titel van de gedichtenbundel met Griekse en in het Nederlands vertaalde gedichten:

"Als ik van mijn liefde niet kan spreken", Veertien liefdesgedichten en een levenslied, K.P. Kavafis, vertaald door Hans Warren, Mario Molegraaf. Uitgeverij: Bert Bakker (1999).

Het staat vol echt hele mooie gedichten. Veel plezier ermee.

Micki

Why should we close this Topic? I dont see a reason.

I would appreciate if you add a reply that it is about something that contributes rather than kicking open doors open. Or add empty phrases

(Edited by Odyseus3 at 10:28 pm on Sep. 16, 2001)

O3, you are right. Dimitri, if this topic doesn't interest you, don't read it please. If it was too much Dutch, sorry, I'll explain quickly.

O3 asked the title of the book with poems of Kavafi, that I was reading, and I put it in this thread, together with other information on a Dutch magazine about Greece.

The second time I gave information about another small book with poems of Kavafi.

Content now, Dimitri?

Micki

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead