henk de leeuw

Goran Bregovic

102 posts in this topic

Basicly, it's not a cd. They are going to sing together at a club. I don't know if they are also going to publish a cd.

I can't understand this cooperation, either,  and I'm really sceptic about the result!! Why are they doing this kind of experiments, anyway?? :mad:  :confused:

:)

Did anyone remember perhaps 10 years ago or so

when Bregovic released songs for Alkisti Protopsalti to sing?

One could tell right away it was from Bregovic style because it had that Blakan flare & influence in it.

Though they werent really all that bad compositions, I'm not a fan of Protopsaltis voice or style of singing.

So I was not impressed all that much with those songs written for her to sing in either.

Then again Serbian music is different then Greek.

But it all comes down to ones personal taste in music & artistry.

p.s.  Also does anyone else here know if she was the 1st Greek vocalist to colloborate with Bregovic?

Then who came next to follow was it Dalaras?

hey just call me

curious  Christo

but not late for dinner

:sarcasm:

Xaris Alexiou also sung  'Theos an einai' from Bregovic. I don't know which year, but it was before Dalaras did this song!

Btw. Protopsaltis performed at Megaro Mousikis Athens the 14th of Jan. And who was one of the spectators? Yes, Dalaras.

So, you see, he's not always working night and day, as Papadopoulos said! Or maybe this is also kind of work, to observe, what others are doing on stage!!

Haris Alexiou (and others) sang Bregovic's song but this was not a formal work. Formally (meaning, being present), Bregovic has worked only with Protopsalti and Dalaras. And Protopsalti's cd is very beautiful. It was the first of the kind in Greece and became a huge hit (not that this is an indicator).

"Κι αν σε θέλω": I have to say that the music for this song is NOT by Goran Bregovic. It is an extremely nice traditional Algerian tune (Cha'bi tradition) which most Algerian people who live here in Lille have known for ages...

I don't think that on Dalaras' cd it is mentioned as a Bregovic song.

Btw: I like Bregovic's work a tremendous lot.

Indeed, "Κι αν σε θέλω" is not a bregovic song. The music and the foreign lyrics are from Amrani Abderrahmane. Bregovic just altered the original song

Indeed, "Κι αν σε θέλω" is not a bregovic song. The music and the foreign lyrics are from Amrani Abderrahmane. Bregovic just altered the original song

And who is Amrani Abderrahmane, Vicky? I suppose he must be the one who wrote down the original music and poem of the Algerian folk song (dimotiko Alyerino tragoudi).

Actually on the CD with Dalaras/G. Bregovic is says music is by Rachid Taha - who is that then?

Have to admit this is one of my favorites on the CD and I never realised until that Bregovic didn't write it. :D

Actually on the CD with Dalaras/G. Bregovic is says music is by Rachid Taha - who is that then?

Have to admit this is one of my favorites on the CD and I never realised until that Bregovic didn't write it. :D

Yes, Rashid Taha is very well known in France. He is French with Algerian origins. He used to sing in a band called CARTE DE SEJOUR and he now sings on his own, rather poor "rock" Algerian-like music I must say.

Many people often put their names on old folk songs! The same happens in Greece anyway, with old rebetika songs whose authors are not clearly defined.

Rashid Taha has popularised this song in France, but of course, the song belongs to the Algerian people, not to one man in particular. Πρόκειται για συγκλωνιστικό τραγούδι.

Thank you Lynne for your post. :D

In the albums "Thessaloniki-Giannena me dio papoutsia panina" and "Zontani Hxografisi stin Iera Odo II" under the song "Ki an se thelo" says that the music and the foreign lyrics where written by Amrani Abderrahmane.

I've made a small research and found that:

Amrani Abderrahmane was better known as Dalhmane El Harrachi (1926-1980). He was one of the most popular and the most revered singers among North African immigrants in France and elsewhere. He wrote several laments on what being an immigrant is about. He has also written music for the cinema.

PS. what is a lament?

It's really very interesting ;)

According to the booklet of Zontani ihografisi stin Iera Odos II;the music of "Κι αν σε θέλω" is made by Amrani Abderrahmane??? ;)

But the booklet of Thessaloniki-Giannena me dio papoutsia panina says that it was made by Rachid Taha :D

Which is true? :D

S Gursu ;)

Are you kidding me? I've got it right here in front of me. It says Amrani Abderrahmane. ( Thessaloniki-Giannena me dio papoutsia panina) Although in my research I found the name Rachid Taha. Is there a possibility of releasing two versions of the booklet? One in Greece and one abroad? :D  :D

Yes, there are two editions: I have the international one, with the booklet all in English and the title "Thessaloniki-Yannena with two canvas shoes". It looks the same as the Greek one (which I have seen too) except it's translated.

Now that song: "Ki an se thelo": it says "Music: Amrani Abderrahmane, Arrangement: Goran Bregovic, Lyrics: Mihalis Ganas". No mention of Rachid Taha in my edition.

and hey - I'll be dammmed! - one should read those booklets more carefully... did you know that Gerasimos Andreatos sings in the backing vocals on this cd???? :)

It's really very interesting :confused:

According to the booklet of Zontani ihografisi stin Iera Odos II;the music of "Κι αν σε θέλω" is made by Amrani Abderrahmane??? :)

But the booklet of Thessaloniki-Giannena me dio papoutsia panina says that it was made by Rachid Taha :)

S Gursu :confused:

No one is true, as this song is a old Algerian folk song!

It's really very interesting :confused:

According to the booklet of Zontani ihografisi stin Iera Odos II;the music of "Κι αν σε θέλω" is made by Amrani Abderrahmane??? :)

But the booklet of Thessaloniki-Giannena me dio papoutsia panina says that it was made by Rachid Taha :)

S Gursu :confused:

No one is true, as this song is a old Algerian folk song!

I could imagine Bregovic not knowing this, and giving the credit for the song to the musician(s) he learned it from.

:confused

HI Geeske

I can confirm that it is indeed true

this is an Algeian song, for I have heard the original.

My friend up here on campus is from Algeria and by coincidence he played me the same song without me knowing I've ever heard it before.

One day I was in his car listening to some of his favorite Arabic songs, and there it was and I said hey wait a minute that song was just done in Greek a few years back.,

Well when I looked at the title and the author on the cd of Dalaras indeed it quotes, "Amrani Abderrahmane"

and which then I told friend Akim, it has also been redone in Greek with GD singing.

Hence, he acquired the music of Dalaras through me.

I don't remember precisely who it was that was singing in Arabic when I heard the song but it was close to the legendary Hasani

I think, since thats who my friend likes to listen too.

Well with all said, this should help clerify any mishpas.

"Κι αν σε θέλω": I have to say that the music for this song is NOT by Goran Bregovic. It is an extremely nice traditional Algerian tune (Cha'bi tradition) which most Algerian people who live here in Lille have known for ages...

:)  :D  :cool:  :cool:

Quoting what I wrote a few days ago...

Without being an expert, I know quite a lot about Arabian music too, and have learnt Arabic to understand Oum Kalthoum's song

Never forget that Paris is the centre of Arabian music!

Some members like Goran Bregovic and his music a lot! :)

He's coming to Germany! The 15.09.2002 he'll be at Cologne, Philharmonie, the 25.09.2002 at Frankfurt, Alte Oper!

He's also performing at some other cities ( have a look at www.transatlantico.com) and .......they bring a new CD!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead