Odyseus3

Γιαννης Βαρθακουρης

32 posts in this topic

A singer in business since 1970 as well like Ntalaras.

What do you think of him and who got lyrics in particular "Ena Gramma" which is from 1981.

Especially now - in a time when a lot changes in the field of Greek music - I realized that Giannis Parios is one of a few Greek artists who remained almost completely loyal to their style and their repertoire all over the years. With other words: Parios in 2001 does not sound so different from Parios in 1981 (for example). And to my mind this is very very positive! He was - and obviously he remains - the singer whose typical repertoire are soft and very melodic love songs, interpreted with a warm and quiet voice. Stelios Kazantzidis once called Parios the "greatest Greek singer about love" ("ο μεγαλύτερος Έλληνας τραγουδιστής της αγάπης" ). This mentions Lefteris Papadopoulos on the cover of the (first) double album "Ta nisiotika". (By the way, "Ta nisiotika" [part 1 and 2] seem to me the only really distinct exception of Parios' usual repertoire.)

As far as I know, Parios also seems to have a very modest and loveable personality - without the behaviour of a big star.

I have a lot of his records and I consider Parios an important part of the Greek music (the more "soft" part of course :)). His last CD ("Alli mia fora" ) consists of 11 songs written by Antonis Vardis (music) and Vasilis Giannopoulos (lyrics). In many of the songs I do not like the extremely "modern" orchestration by Vardis but lyrics, most of the melodies and the voice of Parios are very beautiful. My favourite songs are Nr. 1 ("Mou 'xeis kanei ti zoi mou kolasi" ), Nr. 4 ("Dyskoloi kairoi" ) and Nr. 10 ("Na kaoune oi exthroi mas" ).

And let's not forget that Parios is not only a good singer but also composer and lyrics-writer (not only for himself but also for songs of others as for example Stratos Dionysiou or even Stelios Kazantzidis).

Odyseus, concerning your question about lyrics: What do you need: "Ena gramma" (the concrete song or all titles of the record?) or something else? And in Greek (as I hope ;))?

PS: Odyseus, I think you will know that Parios has interpreted also the song whose title is the motto you use as signature: "Ein' arrostia ta tragoudia".  

(Edited by Michael at 3:02 am on Aug. 19, 2001)

Michael thank you very much. I am a great fan of Giannhs Parios and have some 26 CD's especially the older stuff that I bought in SALE during the past years.

Ena Gramma is my favorite and my vinyl record was really worn out until I finally found the CD of it.

If you got the lyrics than I hope you can send them to me or publish them here. I am not a musician myself so the music sheets are "abracadabra" to me. In Διφωνο-61 which was the number for Winter 00-01 there was an interview with Parios that, of course, I scanned and is in my PC (9 pages that are some 600kB each but only 6 contain text).

It can be send to anyone who is interested attached to an E-mail.

Don't hesitate to let me know.

As usual the magazine had a free CD titled:

Οδοιπορος αισθηματων - 15 κρυφα τραγοθδια

There is one point i did not mention in my previous reply. With "Ena Gramma" I meant the entire Album.

My favorite song is " Ηθελα κατι να σου πω" but the other songs, Εnα Γραμμα , Για παντα μαζι etc are as beautiful too

I like Parios as well and find him relaxing to listen too.  I have three CDs of his including the latest one with Vardis.  His voice is smooth and suits love songs which he sings so well.

Odyseus, I will post the lyrics of the songs under the topic "Looking for a song" so that they can be found at the systematically correct place.

In Greece, I have often been told that Parios is "as good if not better than Dalaras". Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to appreciate him. Admittedly, I own (and know) only one of his cds called "tipseis". Would you say this is a good example of his voice and style?

The CD Typseis is from 1997. Which is recent.

Very good are, to my opinion: Ενα γραμμα 1981, of which you find some lyrics by Michael in another thread, and Ta νησιωτικα-1 which is from 1982.

Good as well Εγω κι εσυ-1985.

Hope this is a good start to become a Parios Fan

Annemarie, as Odyseus 3 just mentioned, "Typseis" is a quite recent release of Parios and therefore influenced by the trends which dominate almost all of the Greek (popular) music during the last years. (Something I regret.) Nevertheless I would not say that this CD is untypical for Parios' voice and style. Perhaps one could say: It is the "usual Parios" as he sounds in the late 90ies. But maybe if you try elder productions (as the ones mentioned by Odyseus) you will get a more positive impression of him. (The style of the elder songs is quite the same but the orchestration is usually more "discret".)

Concerning the voice:

To my mind Parios has a good and characteristic voice but you will find similar voices both in Greece and on the international level. (If I remember correctly, once Parios was called the "Julio Iglesias from Greece".) Whereas Dalaras' voice (to my mind) is extraordinary and unique.

(Edited by Michael at 12:48 am on Aug. 20, 2001)

The Parios topic is good

but doesn't really pertain to Dalaras though.

Parios is good for singing ballads and his Nisiotika but doesnt' seem to hold a candle next to Dalaras for serveral reasons I will now mention:

1) Parios is known at best to sing one particuar

style (his soft romantic ballads).

whereas,

Dalaras sings many types of styles

and different types of music and sings them  genuine according to the way it was written.

2.  Parios is good for hitting those high notes

where he does not have the range as

Dalaras  does to sing those those low notes as well and Dalaras can hit those high notes too!!

3.  Parios as far as I know only sings in Greek

where as,

Dalaras sings in many other languages

4.  Parios is a great composer

but only sings  when he is on stage & doesnt  play an instrument

where as,

Dalaras not only writes some of his materail    he also plays many different types of instruments live when he is on stage.

5.  When Parios goes on tour he is apart of the show with his orchestra

where as,

when Dalaras is on tour he is the show with everyone else backing him.

I could go on and list more differences but the choice is well beyoun obvious,

Dalaras is the better performer on stage then Parios, and as far as I think a better singer too!

Listen to some of the songs Dalaras has sang that were once sung by Parios

for example, the one written from composer

Stavros Xarkokos,   'Einai Arrostia Ta Tragoudia'

Parios sings it good on the studio recording but when presented live by Dalaras he does a splendid & superb job in the beginning prelude with a long emphasis singing a heavy "AMANE".

which Nobody  can touch or beat

The quesiton we should be asking is:

Why havent Dalaras and Parios sung togethe and do more colloborations with each other since the beginning of their careers started way back in the club

'Ta Delina'?

Christo, you make some great points and i think you are right on.Dalaras and Parios are freinds and have worked together many times,most recently the Christmas speciail dec.1999..That was pure magic!! Those two guys work well together.Here is my angle on Parios..as many of you know i have been involved in several Greek US tours and i have had the pleasure to be with many artists not only backstage but also in private times while driving them around ,taking them shopping out to eat,etc..i tell you this to give you background.I have a little different perspective because of the tour experience.Well, my experience with Parios is this.He is very different than Dalaras off stage.Lets just say he has lived a rougher life and enjoyed smoking ,drinking and just plain out livied harder.You can see from his face and the way he walks that he is a bit weathered..I wish i could say more but i had better leave it there.Now, as far as Parios the singer..He has an amazing voice with incredible range.The guy can flat out sing.Even at his age and with the hard life,make no mistake he can belt out tunes better today than when he was young.Dalaras once said of parios,no one can sing love balleds better than parios....I was very amazed at his stage voice..On the other hand Dalaras has lived a very clean life,no smoking ,no  drinking(in fact i never saw him drink anything other than spring water) and no night life.He is clean as a whistle and stays in great shape...I think overall Dalaras has stage presence that Parios does not have.Dalaras handles more of a variety of songs.And i think Dalaras is more of a complete musicain than Parios,parios does not play instruments..Dalaras can play many stringed instruments....I will agree though Parios voice is amazing and he has many great hits.

Chris apostolakis,Lynee....The three songs that Dalaras and parios do together on the video(chrstmas 1999) are pure magic.They know each other so well that they know one will go high, the other will go low vocally.I really enjoy watching them sing together...Also, the olympic staduim video where Dalaras and Parios sing together is great also...Here is a cute Parios story..When Parios was here for recent US tour he brought along a young girl with him"His girlfreind"..Well, me and the promoter were guessing as to how old the girl was.We did not want to ask her or Parios so not to embarass anyone..So, while taking them to the airport to see them off after the show..We had there passports in hand while checking them in.We sneaked a peak at them jsut to get the correct age...Well, it turns out he is well over 50(no suprize) and she was 20 ......he,he,he

Sarantiis

How about you tell the clubmembers here

what the musicians here for Parios are like?

Meaning are they similar to that of the musicians that accompanied Dalaras in terms of taste, style, persona off stage and so forth?

what are there personal habits like?

what do they have in similar styles and habits from the orchestra Dalaras has used in his group?

If this is too personal please email me,

I've  sent you 3 messages on this already.

Christo, sorry for not having replied about the musicians earlier.To answer you question,the great musicains in Greece know each other very well .The are a close nit group.In fact during several of the tours i have been involved in ,some of the same musicians have been with Parios,Alexiou,Dionosiou and Dalaras.For example when Parios came for a U.S. tour he brought one of Dalarases bouzouki players with him ,also Filipos the flute and horn player was here for the tour...So, the musicains really know each other well because there is only a small pool of excellent musicians in  Greece to draw from.So, when they plan a tour if some of the guys are not touring with Dalaras then they tour with Parios ,Alexiou,etc,etc.......Remember the main headline artist make excellent money.The rest of the musicians have to tour with whoever will ask them to go along on a givin tour..They have to work and stay busy basically year round to make a living.The headline artist may only play 50 dates a year..This is not enough for the musicains they need to work more to earn a living.Dalaras ,Parios,etc. make a great living off the 50 concerts.The musicians require far more to make it.....The headliners make the majority of the money....So, the pool of musicians pretty much tour with several differnt guys...I know that when Dalaras was here for the US tour in november of 1999 ,his guitar player Christo Zervas did not make it because he was invloved in another tour..So Dalaras had another Giutar player (dimitri) come along for the tour..Dimitri is an excellent guitar player and plays with Alexiuo and others as well.So, i think you understand the point im making...As far as off stage these guys must find ways to keep busy to fight boredom while waiting for concert night..They especially like to go shopping,love to eat(never pick up there tab)go to clubs,etc.....

Something about Parios voice range.. Christo said:

Parios is good for hitting those high notes

where he does not have the range as

Dalaras  does to sing those those low notes as well and Dalaras can hit those high notes too!!

I analysed the subject some months before with my singing teacher and said me that while Dalaras is a tenor, Parios voice is a baritone (middle range male voice .... not a bass!). That is to say, Parios can sing some lower notes than Dalaras. As far the higher notes is concerned, they can both reach the A (la) of the tenor above the middle C (nto) and Dalaras can go even higher with his faltseto voice/note (eg. "Latin" songs). Of course, I' m of the opinion that Dalaras voice is more unique and more diversiform (ποικιλόμορφη) than Parios' voice. In addition he (Dalaras) continually ameliorates his technique (he both uses sometimes vyzantine technique and also classical technique) while Parios' voice has no anymore the capabilities it had in his blooming (10 years before).. Just listen to the cd he released last year with Theodorakis and you will find that he has many problems with his breath etc.. However, he is already 56 years old and he has had a very bad way of living (drinking, smoking etc....) so his voice-condition is partially extenuated (δικαιολογήται εν μέρη).

As far as the 3 duets in the Millenium Concert in ERT in 1999-2000. They are fantastic !! I am keen on looking at them while deciding who is going to do the second or first voice !! :) ("Fantasia" is their best!!)

:D

Wow Great job reporting back to me on this Christos

Tell me how was your voice instructor able to determine their range?

Unless your singing teacher has every recording they ever sung and listened for the highest and lowest pitch,

my best guess is your teacher heard them live and put them to the test on a piano or other instruement of some sort No?

I'll tell you up to now, I would have agreed with what everyone had said about Parios.

But I do have that live recording that he (Parios) sung on the songs by Theodorakis, and frankly I'll tell you all I was quite overwhelmed by them,.

First ) I think the recording was so good because Parios had a real Live Greek Orhistra (musicians) to back him up rather then the Metrople Orchestra who backed up Dalaras in the 100 Xronia Cinema CD.

Plus it was held at 2 different venues:

Dalaras concert for Theodorakis was held at the Irodion or the Theatre at the Acropolis (same place where Yanni had his concert at) with Xenoi musicians not sounding entirely greek other then for Dalaras

and as far Parios the concert for Theodorakis was held at the Likavitos Theatre with really great Bouzouki players and everyone else in the orchestra being of fine great musicians too.

Second) To my surprise, I didn't know Parios could sing "Ths Ellhnikis Klassika Trayoudia" that Theodorakis composed

and they came out good,

Third) Parios sang some songs Dalaras recorded long before from the Radar album and I hate to admit it but it sounded better live by him then Dalaras,. Such as Ximeroni.

However,

he (Parios) tried singing some Zembekika to which Dalaras I'm sure has sung before but I don't know from where though

and lets just say this, It doesn't suit Parios voice. Dalaras has him beat here hands down!!!!

Thats probably why Parios has never sung any Rembetika in his career and has stayed away from it because simply put, his singing style is not made for it.

and then Fourth) The songs that are featured on both cd's 100 yrs Cinema & Parios sings Theodorakis,

It's more or less a toss up on songs like

"Omorfi Poli", Dromoi Paloi", & "Kamoi"

Parios seems to emphasize more vibrato in spinning his voice on the vowels when it comes to sustaining the words towards the end, but he lacks what Dalaras does in the beginning and on the low notes where Dalaras tends to use more Voice and technique as well as vibrato before singing to the end of the sentence.

Finally, I'm still stunned as to how Parios can have a lower range then Dalaras? I just don't hear it to believe its possible.

ohh well

This Millineum CD with those 3 songs?

Hmmn, it sure would be nice to hear it someday

HINT HINT

:huh::(

Christos

You mentioned one of the songs they sang were

Fantasia

What were they other two songs they sang?

:D :lol:

Tell me how was your voice instructor able to determine their range?

my best guess is your teacher heard them live and put them to the test on a piano or other instruement of some sort No?

I think that for a singing - teacher is very easy to detect a singer's range and many other things (βελούδο, μέταλλο, τρόπος αναπνοής, άρθρωση, τεχνική που χρησιμοποιεί and much more ..!!) about his voice even listening to him singing for 5 minutes or even less !! And it is certain that for Parios and Dalaras he has a very well-founded opinion as they are very well-known singers and they are for him a kind of good examples (πρότυπα). Especially as far as Parios is concerned, he is a acquaintance of him as they have played together (parios singing and the teacher playing to the piano) some years before (My teacher is a pianist too, so he usually accompanies singers in the concerts they have..).

Finally,  I'm still stunned as to how Parios can have a lower range then Dalaras?   I just don't hear it to believe its possible.

Yes it is true. Ok, of course when we say that Parios' voice goes lower than Dalaras voice we don't say an octave or so, we say for 1-2 notes lower. And also, finally, they may have the same range as Dalaras has a very good technique and with some correct breaths can have some low notes.

When I say Parios is a baritone, I say about his natural voice and not what he achieved after thanks to his technique. So Parios, is a baritone (από τη φύση του) and managed to have some high notes with a suberb technique his has (he uses the classical technique even he hadn't ever attended classical-singing lessons!!). Dalaras on the other side is a tenor (it is more easy for him to sing higher than Parios) and grace to his technique managed to have lower notes and also some very high notes.

Of course, all this analysis is very simplified and I think that I need another page (!) to write some things more clearly and also my teacher could do it better .. but ok, I think I explained to you some basic points of the matter. :huh:Another example of a singer whose natural voice was other that what she finally achieved is Maria Callas. She was a mezzo-soprano but thanks to a superb technique he manged to go her voice very higher and sing even soprano-coloratoura roles !!) However, this was bad for her voice and she finally only in the age of 40-45 she harmed her voice ανεπανόρθωτα. :music:

As far as, the impression that you had that Parios voice is higher than Dalaras, I think that I can also explain it to you: Many times we are misled by the colour/timbre (χροιά-hroia) of the voice of somenone and deduce (συμπεραίνουμε) wrongly about his range. Voice sound/colour and range are two completely different things. !!

Dalaras voice χροιά is more deep (βαριά) in the low notes than Parios, so we conclude that Dalaras has a low range - this is wrong.. Eg. many people listen to the deep/heavy voice of the Stratos Dionysiou and think that he is a bass, ....although his range was very high (he was nearly a tenor!!). Somenone may have high notes and having a deep sound and also we may have the opposite .... :(

Parios seems to emphasize more vibrato in spinning his voice on the vowels when it comes to sustaining the words towards the end, but he lacks what Dalaras does in the beginning and on the low notes where Dalaras tends to use more Voice and technique as well as vibrato before singing to the end of the sentence.

Yes, Parios' voice from its nature has a lot of vibrato, but the vibrato that he has the last years is much more the psysical. :( It is due to bad breath and uncontrolled use of his καρύδι (στο λαιμό). The normal vibrato comes from our diaphragm but many singers who have not studied music and singing use their neck to produce vibrato. This is also a vibrato but it harms their voice, and finally after of years doing that they end up vibrating all the time !! Their voice is only a vibrato (this phenomenon is more usual for older female singers). That is to say that their voice loose its steadiness/stability and it wavers in an uncontrolled way (ανεξέλεγκτα). ΟΚ, Parios seems to have partially this problem, when he has to sustain a note at the end of a phrase, his voice starts to be unsteady.. and has a vibrato that it is not really beautiful.. and necessary :( On the other side, I think that Dalaras can control everything in his voice, he can control his vibrato and use it when it is necessary while in other times, he can sustain a very stable note without doing any vibrato. :)

Thats probably why Parios has never sung any Rembetika in his career and has stayed away from it because simply put, his singing style is not made for it.

and then Fourth)  The songs that are featured on both cd's 100 yrs Cinema & Parios sings Theodorakis,

It's more or less a toss up on songs like

"Omorfi Poli",  Dromoi Paloi", & "Kamoi"

As far as rembetika, yes, Parios don't usually puts them in his repertoire as he hasn't the typical "rembetiki" voice, but I think that he can sing them in his specil way.. and give his own version (I' ve listened to him singing to "Aharisti" in trio with Aleksiou and Galani from their live CD of 1989 and he is really good). As far as the "Dromoi Palioi" and "Omorfi Poli", he may give us a sentimental performance but I don't like his way of singing for the same reasons I said before (a lot of unnecessary vibrato and lack of air ..). In "Omorfi Poli" when he ends the songs: "oi dormoi hathiiii___kan" he cuts the word in "hathiii...." and "....kan" which I don't like and doesn't sounds very well to me (of course for someonelse it may be very beautiful and passive and sentimental .. but ok ... I prefer Dalaras version which I like more .. :) ) . As far as "Dromoi Palioi", at the end again: he says the "me gnorizeeee, me gnorizzeeee eeeeee eeeee): the spaces are his breaths: 3 breaths (!!!) while Dalaras when takes one (!) only at the beginning of the song (In his late lives from Herodeio in 2000 and 2001 he does a corona of some 6 or so meters at the end of the song .. :D !! )

However -as far as Parios is concerned-, my teacher who was in the rehersal of the concerts of Lykavitos, said that Parios voice was much better in the rehearsal than in the concert in the same night and finally at the CD !!

Of course there are other songs in this CD that I like them: "An thymitheis T' Oneiro Mou" or "Ksimeronei" (in "Ksimeronei" I prefer again Dalaras in his live version, but Parios is also very good and more sentimental in this recording)

ohh well

This Millineum CD with those 3 songs?

Hmmn,  it sure would be nice to hear it someday

Christo I have the "S' Agapo giati eisai oraia" in .mp3 format so I can send it to you by e-mail or if you come to the IRC, in the chatroom. The other 2 songs, you can possibly take them from Niki as I have them only in a videocassete :( :lol:

Sorry for this really BIG reply but I wanted to give you an - as much I could !! - explaining reply !!!! :D:D

Christos, Niki

Thanks for all your help

and Christos

thanks for the information.

That really explains alot

I will send you both my private email shortly.

Standby

Now Christos what IRC chatroom are you referring too?

Is that in here where it reads Icq?

If so, I dont have an ICQ address or anything of that sort.

I'm not certain as to how that wil help?

Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

:huh:

Christo-Regnis,

You wrote uploading the song "s'agapw giati eisai wraia" BUT as a DUET with Dalaras and Parios.

I tried to find in your text where you referred to the ALBUM from which you got this information.

I just happened to answer a question on this song by Francois in the thread "Looking for a song" a minute ago

There I added covers and info about the 2 CD's I know the song was at it.

Maybe it would have been better to add the Parios cover here because it is the THREAD of PARIOS.

I am glad that this thread still draws new information since I started it a year ago.

Maybe best we add here the back covers of that "Mousikh kouth" of his which is called "Syllogi Erwtas" and consists of 8 CD's that cover a great deal of his songs.

post-6-1033199516.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead