s gursu

Zulfu Livaneli

7 posts in this topic

Members;I'd like to hear your ideas about Zulfu Livaneli,the famous Turkish composer,singer,writer and director.But first,I want to give some info about him for the members who have not heard of him yet.

Zulfu Livaneli,the composer of  "San Ton Metanasti-Like an emigrant(George Dalaras,The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra,1999)",is a worldwide famous musician and a very close friend of Mikis Theodorakis.They initiated the "Greek-Turkish Friendship Association" together.In the last 20 years many concerts were held by Livaneli,Theodorakis and Farandouri,in both Turkey and Greece and also other European Countries.

Livaneli made two albums with Theodorakis(Gunes Topla Benim Icin,1986 and Together-Oli Masi-Birlikte,1997) and one with Farandouri(Farandouri sings Livaneli,1982).

Now,what do you think about him?

S Gursu

hey
 so far a very good composer

I like that song from the cd
  Live at Mann Auditorium with the Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra.

What other great hits with Theodorakis is he known for?

Christo;

His other great hits are;"leylim Ley,Yigidim Aslanim-Miroloi,Karli Kayin Ormani,Kerem Gibi-San Ton Kerem,Merhaba,Sevda Degil,Kan Cicekleri,Gunes Topla Benim Icin...".Most of these songs are included in his albums,he made with Theodorakis.In the album;"Gunes Topla Benim Icin" Livaneli and Theodorakis sing Theodorakis's famous song "Tora Oktando Eksi" together ,with Turkish and Greek lyrics.Especially Together-Oli Masi-Birlikte(tropical Music,1997) proves that they are really the icons of Greek and Turkish Music.

S Gursu

Difficult topic at least to me. I saw on the back cover of that CD indeed Livaneli mentioned.

Metanastes rings however an other bell in my head: Namely that of Giannhs Markopoulos and the CD Metanastes from 1974. Singing done by Mosxoliou an Xalkias, very nice CD. But to be talked about in another thread perhaps.

Metanastes makes me think of Loizos too, There is a song Metanastes that Ntalaras sings, Stixoi are by Fwntas Ladhs. It is 'of course, on Ta tragoudia mas, by Ntalaras & Loizos.

Μια ενδιαφέρουσα συνέντευξη του Zulfu Livaneli στην Ισραηλινή "Haaretz".

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/858176.html

Λέει πολλά και μεταξύ άλλων αναφέρει:

"......To my mind, music is identified with suffering and with tolerance," explains Livaneli. "This mysterious and intoxicated and searing rebetiko music was created by the Anatolian Greeks who were forced to emigrate to Greece from the Aegean coast of Turkey. In Greece, they were still considered foreigners and most of them continued to live on society's margins. Out of their deep feeling of alienation came this Greek blues music called rebetiko, which is actually Turkish music. When I performed in concerts with Mikis Theodorakis and with Yorgos Dalaras and with Maria Farantouri, relations between the two nations were still very tense. Through the music, people began to get to know one another, they came to see how much alike they really were. That all of us, Turks and Greeks, are just human beings. Things began to move in the direction of reconciliation. When the massive earthquake struck in 1999, Greeks came to our aid in admirable fashion......"

Αυτό το "...this Greek blues music called rebetiko, which is actually Turkish music..." με εκνευρίζει. Καταλαβαίνω τι εννοεί, αλλά η ακριβής μετάφραση οδηγεί σε λαθος συμπεράσματα όποιον δε γνωρίζει κάποια μουσικά/ιστορικά πραγματα.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead