Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Wa habibi - τραγούδι με βαθιες ρίζες

8 posts in this topic

(I'll post this in english too asap)

Δεν είμαι μόνη νομίζω που συγκινήθηκα από το Wa habibi που ακούσαμε στις συναυλίες για την Μεσόγειο στο Ηρώδειο, το 2004 από την Mira Anwar Awad (στα αραβικά) και το 2005 από την Dulce Pontes και τον Νταλάρα (με στοίχους στα αραβικά, πορτογαλικά και ελληνικά, ανάμεικτα).

Δεν ήξερα τίποτα γι' αυτό το τραγούδι παρά αυτά που διάβασα εδώ στο φόρουμ, δηλαδή ότι το έχει πει η Oum Kalsoum και ότι (fadi,Oct 5 2004, 03:50 PM) it's a religious song talking about Jesus and sung in "PASXA", i think that the libanees singer "Firuz" sings this song - btw "HABIBI" in arabic means "my lover/my love" . Πριν από λίγες μέρες βρήκα το ίδιο κομμάτι σε αλλιώτικη εκτέλεση, σ' έναν δίσκο με καθώς πρέπει βιβλιαράκι, που λέει δηλαδή τι είναι το κάθε κομμάτι, από ποιόν γράφτηκε και πού και πότε, και στίχους, και (σωστή...) μετάφραση.

Η μεγάλη έκπληξη: η ίδια μελωδία αποτελεί δυο τραγούδια!

1. Ως wa habibi («αγαπημένε μου») είναι παλιά μελωδία από το ρεπερτόριο των Μαρωνιτών (των χριστιανών δηλαδή του Λιβάνου), με στίχους στα αραβικά.

2. Ως «Adieu paure Carnavau» είναι αποκριάτικο τραγούδι με στίχους στο provencal (γλώσσα της Νότιας Γαλλίας, ξαδέρφη με τα γαλλικά, τα ιταλικά κλπ), η μελωδία αποδίδεται στον Ιταλό συνθέτη Pergolesi (1710-1763). Αποκριάτικο εδώ δεν θα πει χαρούμενο: λέει για το «Carnavau» (carnaval, απόκρια) που ήταν κάλος άνθρωπος, αλλά φτωχός, και πέθανε, και άφησε «στην γυναίκα του τίποτα, και στα παιδιά ακόμα λιγότερα».

Αφού το βιβλιαράκι έχει εξαιρετικές μεταφράσεις όλων τον τραγουδιών στα αγγλικά, και, όσο χρειάζεται, στα γαλλικά, τολμώ να σας κάνω, βασισμένους σ' αυτές (αφού δεν ξέρω αραβικά...) υπότιτλους στα ελληνικά για το wa habibi:

Αγαπημένε μου, σε τι κατάσταση είσαι!

Μάρτυρας έγινες, σε γέμισαν λαβωματιές.

Όταν στην ελαιώνα γονάτισες

προσευχήθηκε η γη, έκλαψαν οι ελιές...

Αγαπημένε μου, πώς φεύγεις!

Και η πίστη σου, θα χαθεί κι αυτή;

Είναι παρόμοιο με το «stabat mater dolorosa» που μελοποιήθηκε ατελείωτες φορές στην Δυτική μουσική από το μεσαίωνα και μετά: τα λόγια της Παναγιάς δίπλα στο σταυρό.

’ρα, αν και έφτασε ο δίσκος στα χέρια μου πριν από μερικές μέρες, άφησα το ποστ για σήμερα, που εδώ είναι η Μεγάλη Παρασκευή.......

Χάρη στην Annemarie, βρίσκουμε τον δίσκο εδώ: http://www.alpha-prod.com/index.html

συγκεκριμένα στο : http://www.alpha-prod.com/fb/asp/consultat...che=178&s=alpha

Λέγεται «Marions les roses» («Ας παντρεύουμε τα τριαντάφυλλα»), από τις «Les fin' amoureuses», συγκρότημα τριών γυναικών, με όργανα και ήχους ριζωμένους στο 17ο αιώνα (πριν από την συμφωνική ορχήστρα δηλαδή, παρόμοια διαφορά στο ηχόχρομα υπάρχει ας πούμε μεταξύ Βαμβακάρη και Θεοδωράκη) . Ο δίσκος ενώνει παραδοσιακά τραγούδια από διάφορες περιοχές της Γαλλίας με τραγούδια από την Οθωμανική αυτοκρατορία, συγκεκριμένα από την πλούσια σεφαραδιτική μουσική.

Δυστυχώς, το audio sample στο link δεν είναι το wa habibi, αλλά όποιος ενδιαφέρεται αρκεί να μου στείλει PM.

Very Intresting

i've heared the performance of Mira Awad (thanks to you Geske) but i haven't heared the performance of dalaras and Dulce

but i don't think at all that Oum Kolsoum has ever sang it

Thank you Geske :razz:

As promised, the English version of my post about Wa habibi...

I'm not the only one who was deeply moved by this song, as we heard it in the "Mesogeios" concerts at the Irodeio, sung in Arabic by Mira Anwar Awad (in 2004) and by Dulce Pontes and Dalaras with lyrics mixing Arabic, Portugese and Greek (in 2005).

I didn't know anything at all about the song, except what I'd read on the forum, i.e. that it has been sung by Oum Kalsoum (which Fadi says isn't true - me, I don't know!), and what Fadi himself posted about it: (fadi,Oct 5 2004, 03:50 PM) it's a religious song talking about Jesus and sung in "PASXA", i think that the libanees singer "Firuz" sings this song - btw "HABIBI" in arabic means "my lover/my love" . A few days ago I encountered this same song in an different version and a different context, on a record with a proper booklet, which mentions what each piece is, who wrote it and where and when, which gives the lyrics and (correct....) translations.

Now for the big surprise: that one melody yields two songs!

1. As "Wa habibi" ("my beloved") it is (I'm quoting the booklet here: ) An old tune from the repertoire of Maronite hymns. Original text in arabic. A song for the Passiontide. As in the Stabat Mater, Mary is standing beside the cross:

O my love, what a state you are in!

You are a martyr, covered with wounds.

When in the orchard you knelt

the earth prayed, the olive trees wept.

O my love, how you depart!

And will your fidelity, too, be lost?

2. As «Adieu paure Carnavau» it's a Shrovetide or Carnaval song, with lyrics in Provencal (this is a romance language from Southern France, related to French, Italian etc.); the tune is attributed to the Italian composer Pergolesi (1710-1763). "Carnaval" in this case does not mean "party song" or even "cheerful": the lyrics are about "good old fellow Carnaval" who made his will leaving "nothing to his wife, and to his children even less".

Since "Wa habibi" is, indeed, an Arabic version of the «Stabat mater dolorosa» which has been set to music so many times since the Middle Age, I delayed posting about it until for a few days, since today is Good Friday - what could be more appropriate...

Thanks to Annemarie, we can find the record where I found all these details here: http://www.alpha-prod.com/index.html

and more precisely here: http://www.alpha-prod.com/fb/asp/consultat...che=178&s=alpha

The record's title is «Marions les roses» ("Let us wed the roses"), by the trio «Les fin' amoureuses», three women using the musical instruments, vocal techniques and generally the sound of the 17th century - for those unfamiliar with western musical history, this is "classical music before classical music", that is, before the domination of the big fat 19th century symphony orchestra. It's a completely different sound and atmosphere. This record makes a surprising unity out of traditional songs taken from different regions of France and songs from the Sefardic (Jewish) tradition of the Ottoman empire.

The sound sample given on the site is not the song that interests us here, but anyone interested in this exceptional Wa Habibi is welcome to ask me for it by PM.

Both songs also can be found on the cd of Savina Yannatou&Primavera en Salonico : Terra Nostra.

Translations there are:

Wa Habibi / Beloved

Oh, Beloved, at this hour of distress,

whoever sees you is grieved, you the Saviour (...)

The olive grove is lamenting

as thousands of lips are calling you (...)

It says: Religious song from Lebanon,from the Orthodox Arab's church.

Adieu Paure Carnavas / Goodbye poor Carnival

Goodbye poor Carnival

say goodbye to youth

you've lived your life in passion

you've spent your riches in a hurry (...)

Go now, naked and lonely

dragging your self on the grass

like a stubborn ass (...)

Here it says: Traditional from Provence. The song refers to the Carnival's ending, implyingalso the defeat of Napoleon.

[...] και ότι (fadi,Oct 5 2004, 03:50 PM)   it's a religious song talking about Jesus and sung in "PASXA", i think that the libanees singer "Firuz" sings this song

Yes, it was sung by the famous Lebanese singer Fairuz:

Βλ. το CD "Fairuz / Good Friday - Eastern Sacred Songs":

- Cover:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...0085663-2182672

- It can be heard at:

http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Songs/Arabic/Fairuz...cred_Songs.html

(Like Fadi I do not think that Oum Kalsoum has performed it too.)

Until now no one referred to the two recordings with Haris Alexiou:

- The first one in the greek language (lyrics by Alexiou herself) and with the title "Kalhnyhta" on her record "H zwh mou kyklous kanei" (1982).

- The second one on her record "H Haris Alexiou se aprovlepta tragoudia" (1987), now in arabic and with the original title "Wa habibi". On this record the song is characterized as a "Christian hymn from Lebanon".

Ναι, το έχει τραγουδήσει η γνωστή λιβανέσα τραγουδίστρια Φαϊρούζ:

Βλ. το CD "Fairuz / Good Friday - Eastern Sacred Songs":

- Εξώφυλλο:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...0085663-2182672

- Ακούγεται εδώ:

http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Songs/Arabic/Fairuz...cred_Songs.html

(Σαν τον Fadi δεν νομίζω ότι το έχει ερμηνεύσει και η Ουμ Καλσούμ.)

Μέχρι στιγμής κανένας και καμία δεν αναφέρθηκε στις δύο ηχογραφήσεις με την Αλεξίου:

- Η πρώτη στα ελληνικά (με στίχους της ίδιας της Αλεξίου) και με τίτλο "Καληνύχτα" στον δίσκο της "Η ζωή μου κύκλους κάνει" (1982).

- Η δεύτερη στον δίσκο της "Η Χάρις Αλεξίου σε απρόβλεπτα τραγούδια" (1987), τώρα στα αραβικά και με τον αυθεντικό τίτλο "Wa habibi". Σε αυτό τον δίσκο το τραγούδι χαρακτηρίζεται ως "Χριστιανικός ύμνος του Λιβάνου".

Το λάθος για την Ουμ Καλσουμ προέρχεται από ένα άρθρο από «Τα Νεα» που εγινε ποστ σ' ένα τόπικ για την περσινη συναυλία. Φαίνεται πως για τον δημοσιγράφο, «όλοι οι Αραβοι είνια ίδιοι» - μην τον κατηγορήσουμε πάρα πολύ σκλυρά, ίσως, ας θυμηθουμε πόσο περιπλοκό ειναι αυτος ο πολιτισμος για τον ξενο.... http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?s=5...=2&t=2219&st=60 .

The mistake about Oum Kalsoum comes from an article in Ta Nea, posted in the topic about last summer's concert. Apparently to the journalist, all the Arabs are the same - let's not be too hard on him, it really is a complex and complicated culture...

Οποιος ή όποια είναι σε θέση να μου στείλει μια από τις παραπάνω ερμηνίες (Γιαννάτου, Fairuz, Αλεξίου) θα τον/την ευχαριστήσω πάρα πολύ :razz::pity:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0