Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christo

Σικάγο (Chicago) 07/4/2006

53 posts in this topic

Well after a long hiatus

this story of mine is long over due.

I'm not feeling well but I don't want to delay it any longer has it will be forgotten and soon no need to post.

Not too mention to the fact its been hard to write because its a long story. and yes I do mean its one very long story to tell so I hope you have the time to read through it instead of jumping around to the end to get the main points as it took me a long time to write and tell it my way.

So without further delay

allow me to start from that night of April 7, 2006.

A long journey that should have been just a few short hours seemed to take the whole day getting to Chicago via railroad.

Having left early morning and Finally arriving downtown Chicago around 5 ish p.m., no sooner had I left Detroit Cold & Rainy and it followed me there except with the winds from Lake Michigan, it was an Ice Chilled Winter Storm. Brrr Froze out there.

Well as I met up with my friend, we grabbed a coffee and some soup to warm up and headed back to his place. We changed and within just a moment to do so. It was already 7:30 and we only had a 1/2 hour to go within concert time. My stomach wasn't in the best condition riding the train all day and I still felt slightly queisy going to the concert and now having my nerves of anticipation on edge as we're already running late.

After realizing I forgot the cd player on the train, no sooner too from the night before in packing yes like a greek procrastinating to the last minute not too add to the fact I was tired too (as I too had planned on recording the concert), I left the Microphone behind from my new Mini Disk Recorder somehow thinking I wasn't going to need it when in fact I did. (And this recording Folks not to get off track would have been for my PERSONAL use Only and not for Public display) sorry just wanted to mention that without going off to much on course.

So no Mini disk to record with, I would just have to settle with ever lasting memories and recall what songs were played and so forth.

Of course after the show was over, there was not much to record and would have been wasted anyways as I'm leading too it but I'm not quite there yet. More to tell keep reading.

So we're driving to the Venue Rosemont Theartre and no sooner nearly 8:00 were almost there things are going soon I can relax and BOOM all of a sudden, we run into Traffic as of course its Friday Night in Chicago and the Hall is of course next to the Airport. AHHH worried again

We make it in about 10 or 15 minutes after 8

and there are cars still coming in. HA - Greek time

so that gave me comfort knowing there are other greeks still not there yet and arriving in one afer another so good sign the concert did not start yet. And I was right it hadn't but was about too just sheer moments away.

So all is good you say sit back , relax and enjoy, well another problem.

I brung my field glasses miniature binoculars for Theartre use as I do for all Greek Concerts I go too with me; And guess what, I left them back at my friends place Uggh - Boy was I ever Peeved!!! 2 strikes in a row!!. Not good people, And Fate alas - would soon still keep the tables not turned and strike me with a 3rd and final 4th blow!!!

Why I need these glasses you ask, well very simple

Being Im a fellow musician myself, I love checking out the set up display on stage, what gear & equipment are being used not too mention watching the musicians play with an added extra zoom or close up shots of them if you will. And even though I was sitting dead center balcony

it's still far away especially when the lights are dimmed and so forth.

So if I haven't lost your attention yet,

Now for the actual moment.

And the Concert now begins.

Getting to our seats, I look around and see more then half of the upper balcony seats are empty.

:(

and looking down below the far end seats on both sides of the wall are also half filled there too

Whats going on I wonder.

Dalaras always fills shows especially from his audience here in Chicago.

No sooner by the time the concerts over with a Huge Disappointment do I realize why this is so. and since I'm jumping ahead let me explain as to why.

Well the musicians enter the stage, the audience whose there is getting excited and starts clapping. The music begins. Dont remember what it was dont ask me and a few moments later like father and son

Dalaras & Hatziyannis both appear and make their entrance to their perspective places near the microphones. And the Front Immediate Audience with us behind up in the Balcony cheer and roar them on.

Something unusual I dind't quite catch it at first but realized the discovery observation later on.

In that there were 3 Microphone Stands Seated in a row spaced out perhaps 3-5 feet apart from one another. So it makes sense you think Dalaras would take the middle one or the immediate far right one as he's the star right? Well No in this case he was way out in Left field .

Something was already terribly wrong and the aftermath all added up as to why of course.

So young Hatziyannis takes the closest Mic to the Entrance of the Stage

with Dalaras way across the other side. Shouldn't be too disturbing you would think but keep in mind folks in that basic math, the sum of the parts all add up the whole. or as they say in psyhology Causation A leads to Effect B., or whatever something like that forgot what I learned as that too seemed like a lifetime ago now.

So they start singing

the 2 of them and looks like its going to be a good show after all

well that too was from yet to be determined.

No sooner then they started sining, Despina came out too

which is okay as shes with the tour group and maybe perhaps Dalaras is featuring her as a guest singer molding her or grooming her for her future singing career as he's done so for so many prior upcoming artists who have all become famous on their own afterwards.

"Aspro Peristeri" was the 1st song as it was in New York, Montreal and the rest of the tour. Dalaras began singing it

and not more then 1/4 way through the song Hatziyannis took over.

Okay not so bad, it is a Colloboration of course right? nope wrong.

As I thought it would be a partnership like Dalaras-Papakonstantino-Marinella thing, soon banished from that perspective as Hatziyannis began singing the rest of the song himself.

And then next it was "Thn afto pou mas enonei", followed by "Luna Rosa", and just a few others. But whatever beginning songs they sang or started singing together., the Format was ALWAYS the SAME, with Dalaras only began to start singing the song and Hatziyannis would soon finish them singing 2/3 of the song if not more. something was terribly wrong here or as Shakespeare would say , "Somethings rotten in the state of Denmark"

So after a few songs they played, Dalaras leaves the stage leaving young Hatziyannis to himself to take over? Excuse me Hello

and I yelled, hey man where you going you just got hear.

:)

Now people when you're the star you either come out and do a good 1/2 Hour or 1 Hour performance before taking a break. Or if you're in Rock n Roll group, a warm up band comes out first to put the audience in the mood and the Main Star comes out at night to finish the show. Dalaras here whom should be the Main Star certainly did not come out that way and left Immediately before singing one completely song of his own without any participation from Hatziyannis or Despina

:D

So he took off, what the hell is going I said

and Soon Hatziyannis takes over.

singing his Pop Disco stuff.

Normally, I wouldn't mind hearing this guy as his voice is not that bad

(The 1st time to hear him too but not under this structure)

In fact Hatziyannis voice is a cross over between that of Adamantidihs & Poulopoulos kind of., with a hair mix of Rokkos & Ploutarhos in it. So you probably say thats a good singing voice. Well it is if you like Techno Laika or Entehna whatever the genre is called. But to sing Dalaras music with him?

NO WAY

So he takes over, not sooner then that theres now more people in the audience to see him. Either A) people were still arriving late or :huh: they just now started to get in the mood or Kefi as we say in Greek.

He sings his Hit songs whatever they are, Disco again and not a moment later the audience sings along with him. And whose his audience you may ask? well young Teenage Girls and Young Adult Woman with a small minority too young guys and young adult males.

They crowd to see him, shooting pictures with their cell phones.

The guy really had a whole crowd just for himself. Didn't take me long after to soon realize that No one really came to see Dalaras again other then me

This was confirmed til he finally came back out

and no one really seem to care

More on that in a minute Stay with me

So usually I would like too add another thing here about the Stage, Sound, The Lighting of course, and most importantly - the Orchestra.

The Orchestra was great - but did not comprive of the usual Fellow Band members Dalaras brings. Missing was Filipos Tsemberoulis his Magical Great Flutist. and no Violinist either. In fact other then the 2 Bouzoukia (which sounded Crystal Clean as when they played) there were no other Traditional instruments.

5 Keyboardists on Stage !!!! Holy smoke hey can you use another!

:lol:

Seriously I'm not kidding either, 3 Keyboard Players, A Pianist and an Accordionist. With 2 other Guitarists playing along with Dalaras when he was on stage with his Guitar. The Mix was good and certainly they all played with arrangements, but the only time the whole orchestra were together was with Dalaras and that wasn't too often sadly it is to say.

The Sound though was Unbelievable!!! Especially that from the Percussionist Player. He added some Great Sound Effects to the drum rhythm on Certain songs of Dalaras which I see why he picked those even if I didn't like those particular songs, Again I'll get to that in a moment.

And lastly on this dwell of thought, the lighting.

You know usually when one goes to a Concert Theartre event, someone high above the seats shines down a Big White Spotlight on the Performer. As its been the standard to do so for many years and that's how I've been accustomed to seen Dalaras like this the very first time too. Well sadly again there was no Spotlight to shine on the Artist or Artists I should say.

instead, they had put a dozen small miniature Spotlights on Stage positioned behind the performers, so instead of making the artists shine, they flashed in the audiences eyes blinding us at various times throughout the whole concert. Definately Inappropriate and took away from visual effects. Not Good. And when they weren't shining in my eyes the lighting was fine. I don't know whose idea that was but it failed to make it work right. Well enough said on that

:blink:

So going back to the concert Hatziyannis has a fan of cheerleaders and teenyboppers cheering and singing along to him. If there were no guards on stage they probably would have jumped up to dance with him

as they did try to back stage while he was singing just to be closer with they guy.

And where does it get so bad then or why you ask?

Well I expected him to sing maybe 3-5 songs and get off the stage. He shouldnt have been by himself no more then 15-20 minutes at best.

Geese O Peekes, this guy was on stage for nearly an hour.

:mad:

Oh man I was getting mad.

I started yelling, "Ela Re Giorgio - VYES EXO"

"Mas gastrapse aftos". Not appropriate language to use I know but I was really getting mad.

After almost an hour Dalaras finally makes his entrance and I can now start to sing songs I know of his instead of looking like a ##### not knowing any of Hatziyannis songs. And he better make up too for that lost time off stage.

Well he came out with and started singing

a new one from his recent album "Sta Tragoudia poy soy grafo"

and of all the selections on that he picks a mellow one to choose an Hasipiko. "To Proesthima" nobody knew it.

then the 2nd one was from his previous CD "H Asphaltos poy trehi"

with the Zembekiko "O Palios Stratiotis". He asked for the audience to sing but again no one knew it or wanted too. except for me of course

but I was too far away on stage for him to hear me

and he sang it but made a frown as if forced to sing it.

as the greeks would say," Me to Zori aspoume"

and that was it no other new songs.

from there it was the old ones again asking the audience to sing along

and finish them for him

:razz:

So I got to sing along but something again didn't feel right.,

Yes He was there and so was I but something just wasnt there.

There was no warmth, no talking to the audience, he didn't say hello or greet us. Just wanted to hear the Chicago audience sing like a greek choir and whether they did Dalaras made no gesture to show any gratitude only compelled to sing if he had too.

And to make matters worse, people on the main floor were constantly moving around getting out from their seats and not paying attention to the music or that of the singing from Dalaras

:pity:

Sadly to say the very least They were all for Hataziyannis

Somehow Dalaras too must have sensed this or knew in advance.

I dont know he called back Hatziyannis to sings the rest of his songs.

Again, I was getting really frustrated at this point not understading what is partaking as Im too stunned this moment to even think.

So again the same format as when the concert soon started.

Hatziyannis once again finishing Dalaras songs, and then POOF

Dalaras disappears again leaving a young Hatziyannis to the helm

And not sooner then that right when young Hatziyannis sang, everybody comes back for him, all the teeny boppers and young adult greek men & women. And does he stay for a few songs you think?

HECK No again a whole another hour repeating that same awful stupid Techno song time after time after time, Now I'm getting terribly Bored with it.

So is my friend too whose begining to wonder whats going on putting all the pieces together now. We soon discovered we were Jipped, Deprived, cheated, even shafted if you want to call it that. Our man was Not There. He didnt even try to pull through!!

The Great Dalaras who sold out Meadowlands Arena, Olympic Stadium, Katrakeion, Wembley Stadium, Madision Sqaure Gardens, and the list goes on.

I couldnt believe my eyes. He gave the show to this young punk.

I'm completely Shocked at this point. My head bowed down low with hand my hands over my head. I didn't know what to say.

How hurt and Disappointed I was. Was this it for Dalaras and his fans in America? have I lived to see a low Blow in his Career?

and for what so he could push young Hatziyannis to become the next superstar and at his and my expense? The Time I came and travelled so far, spend a great fortune as to invest in this one special precious night only to be Hurt and Bitter in my heart.

After another final hour , with this young kid on stage,

Had I known it would have been like this

as the greeks say, "DEN THA PIYENA-DEN THA' ERHOUME"

I came to see Dalaras just Dalaras not caring as to who the guest star is. I didn't come for Hatziyannis and instead I got a double dose of him and Dalaras wound up being the guest star or the least guest star

I should say!

Oh it gets worse let me tell you,

At the tail end, yes Dalaras does come back

and sings mellow songs again

"Ta Vengalika Soy Matia"

of all the ballads to sing Why did he choose this one?

This song is so lame and cheesy. It has no Highs or melody or rhythm hardly. Maybe thats why he chose it I don't know. He has sung alot of Great Ballads in the past. Why not choose one them instead of this one. Maybe because his voice was just not there as it used to be.

At times when he got in front of the Microhpone it looked as if he couldn't get the voice to come out like he wanted it too, and so he did best and called Hatziyannis out to help him finish his songs for him and feeding the fuel for the young crowd to see more of him again.

He chose to sing 'Skoni" which is good I've never heard him sing it Live before but the chorus he gave to Hatziyannis and the rest of the song

as well As "Xenos", and "Fantasia" which I shouted out for request. but didn't play it right away.

As for "Vengalika soy Matia" this is where the Percussionist shines making sound effects in a surround stereo setting. Just like the cd recording. The band really did a good job, the lighting was something else but Dalaras MAGIC Nope No way it was gone.

Nothing there to hold onto not along spark a new one

Then he started singing Zembekiko after Zembekiko

and chose "Opia Kia Nase" one of Kazantzidhis songs" You know if Dalaras were to have sang this song years ago. WOW I can only imagine how Great it could have been.

But the way he sang it from the 'Apo Kardias' Cd and now

Oh god forget it.

He never once Sang the Refrain, we had to finish it for him just like at Zygos. I yelled for him to sing it too., No he didn't.

the song does not sound good with him the way his voice is today.

I don't know just my opinion I guess. It's sounds too soft.

and when the people sang the refrain, yeah I sang the harmony to it, not that it mattered I was too far away for Dalaras to hear it and not that he cared anyway, for there was no repor with the people and Hatzuyannis finnished singing it too.

then they brung Despina back

and of all things before let me tell you something else about her here:

When Hatziyannis sings by himself she has to make herself not seen and hide behind the piano. After all he is now the Main Star so why even does she bother to stay on stage and not just walk off?

so when she comes out with the 2 of them she should be on the far left you think or somewere either to the right or left of Dalaras NOPE

Smacked Right Dead Center in the middle of the 2 of them.

:confused:

If one has never been to a Dalaras Concert before or seen someone Strong of his stature in the Greek music industry, you have no idea what I'm talking about or why it is I'm criticising this for, so I will now explain as to why.

Again, to really have known what Dalaras can do or someone else equivalent to him from singing so long, you have had to have heard & SEEN him YEARS ago.

When you have seen Dalaras in the 80's or 90's HE IS THE SHOW PERIOD....

He would come out with the Guest star and the guest star would exit the stage after 1 or 2 songs NO MORE THEN THAT!!!!

Dalaras would be on stage for nearly 1/2 to an 1hour at a time before taking a break and bring back the guest star or back up to take over at that time and not too long for them to be on either.

And so the guest artist would sing for no more then 20-30 minutes at best. Dalaras would then make another Grand Entrance staying for maybe at best another whole hour on stage performing with his heart out. The guest artist may or may not even come back to sing a 2nd set. Only with Dalaras at the tail end.

Just take a look back at all the concerts along he has done with the Katsimihas Brothers. Even with the 2 of them, 3 mics on stage and Dalaras always Dead Center between the 2 of them. And he sings the Highlights of their songs. What has happend to that?

Where have those days gone too??

Has his voice diminished so much he can't even sing his strong high songs no more?

thats why probably "Paraponemena Logia" wasnt played or "Hlie mou se Parakalo" has Alexandros wanted to hear them.

Not even "Ahh Helidoni Moy" or "Kapou Nixtoni" was sung as I too requested to hear them that night.

The show was ending now with Syrto after Syrto

all the songs that Kate mentioned

with "Fyge Kia'se me" and "Tora Kles"

what was up with that 5 or 6 Sirta in a row Dalaras never does this

He di finish though with believe it or not his famous Hasaposerviko

"Ths Aminis ta Pedia"

with only 1 verse sung instead of the 2 or 3 versus he normally use to sing it. they bow wave and leave.

Some people leave, others are now applading as me for more

an encore please, KIALO KIALO as we greeks would shout from the past concerts. and this applause has to take some great time more then 5-7 minutes of cheers and roars to make him come back out.

My hands were turning red and stinging at this point. So he comes back out with Hatziyannis of course and starts singing No, Not "Giorti Zembekikon" as he use to from the past, as it coincidentally he already sang it before " Thn Aminis ta Pedia" he did this backwards;

he started singing "Mi moy Thimoneis Matia mou" and of course lets the audience finish the chorus for him

2nd part of the song did he sing it or finish NO

he gave it to Hatziyannis to sing with the audience who remained to sing the refrain.

so apart from Dalaras coming on stage 3x

only at best approximately 20% -30% was he ever Actually Truly singing by Himself. what is that maybe 5-10 songs at best

young Hatziyannis nearly sang 75% - 80% of the time if not more.

I am truly disappointed from this concert. As you can see there was so much to explain in a nutshell why I didn't like the concert and as why it was so bad. What if I were to have just said Dalaras didnt sing much

in one sentence?

How would that state my feelings and thoughts as to why it was so bad?

You can't. I had to tell a story christ more like a BOOK to tell why

And it didn't end there

alot of people waited out in the audience

to greet the performers.

No where was there site of Dalaras music on dispay or his cds to sell

A dvd of Hatziyannis of course was playing in the background and selling like a hot item.

Finally there's a line to get back stage for autographs as my friend had brung a cd to get autographed. For me seeing Dalaras in person would be another Hightlight for me and get a new picture taken plus I had wanted to tell him something I was going to bring to him but never the got the chance or opportunity. Nor would it have made any difference now if I had I'm thinking. As we make it back stage, still in line, we've been informed Dalaras took off the minute the concert ended to go back to his hotel. Who picked up his instruments and packed them for him no clue. One older fan got a picture with him and Dalaras was reluctant to take it telling him, "Aide Griyora thelo na fiyo". Needless to say the fan was angry. Is it going to kill him to take a few moments of your time to have a picture taken with my wife? is what he told me.

Everyone else was for Hatziyannis. I don't know if its because of the war the last time he was hear, but he sensed the crowd was not there for him. And maybe he didn't want to stay around any longer then he had too

not to think there was one guy who really came just for him who travelled far; and spend a few quality moments with him & posiibly tell him that I too am a fellow musicain and would like for you to hear me play one day for you Nope no can do. Another dream gone wasted.

The Big Concerts he did in the past, the new fans he attracted over the years where were they? How could this have happened. Is this how I'm suppose to remember Dalaras?

Even with young Yannis Vardis from the '99 Millineum tour he was already grooming this new trend in letting the back up artist sing the rest of his songs. It was too early to see it then though you know

as his voice was presumably still strong and he was very active in performing alot of concerts; but he was heading toward this path giving into this trend to the guest star artists even from back then and more so now. with the Marinella Tour "Mazi" Ok she was his mentor and teacher I can see he let her do more of the show. Okay fine I can buy that.

But Hatziyannis whom he just introduced on his concerts not more then a year ago now taking control of the stage??

This toud should not have been promoted Dalaras & Hatziyannis

it was Hatziyannis with Dalaras

So the next day past from the after shock the night before, I hung out in Chicago with my friend and later that night we went to Greektown and hung out at the local Nightclub Bouzouki there called the Bzyantium btw in case you wanted to know. Right away I ran into some old friends & colleagues of mine., 2 good singers I use to work with from more then 7 years ago. So good to see them and we hung out reminiscing just like the old times. The male singer was at the concert the night before but he too didn' t have much to say not like what Dalaras use to be or expected for that matter.

I spoke to he female vocalist there who use to be a Big Fan of his growing up and she had nothing good to say as I told her How Shocked I was and so disappointed. This was a disgrace a mockery of his image and her words were thi, "I'm bored with Dalaras he needs to retire"

can picture being a producer now as he was for Hatziyannis that night before.

Sad to hear don't know what to make of it myself,

and yet if his voice is not there or new that the majority of the audience was there that night to see young Hatziyannis, then why come for was it just for the money? I thought I'd never see the day Dalaras would do a concert just for the money as he's given so many Good Memorable Charitable Contributions Benefit Concerts in the past.

Cypus concerts alone for one will never be forgotten.

But the way he is now cannot be forgotten either,.

and no programmes were available either this time. saying it was too expensive to print the as the record company wanted a percentage of them. Maybe it was for the money I don't know.

As a result, should he tour again in the states, unless he comes to my hometown, I will not go to see him. Not like this no more unwanted circumstance surprises again.

I only want to see Dalaras just as he is only Dalaras. And only he should be singing his songs. not Hatziyannis or anyone else.

However, as I've read from the club, he seems to be a different person and better performer entertainer in Canada. So I may well see him one final time in Canada should he come again. But anyone else like Hatziyannis or similar in the states

No way

Either Dalaras by himself or none at all,

I want to remember my IDOL like the way he was not like he is now.

Give me Dalaras from the past any day and I'll be there not like he is today.

And after seeing him the 1st time back in 1993

it has never been the same again. 1993 & 1994 Cyprus Concert were the very best. Man, His voice could cut like a knife, shatter glass, give me goosebumps & send shivers down my spine. There wasn't a song he couldnt sing or touch and make it come out Fantastic.,

today however,

everyone else has to sing them for him. There was no light in spirit of Dalaras and maybe he just was tired and didn't want to be there. Especially in front of fans who were not there to see him but for young Hatziyannis. And soon he will retire no one else like me to see him or play a tune for him or introduce a new young generation to his music and watch him grow over the next few years.

I'm so sad

I don't know what else to say

I did say it would be a long story and it is.

Upon Sunday morning returning to Detroit via railroad, I was pondering

what the heck am I going to state to the members here in the club?

Will they understand or even believe me that this concert actually occured like this?

How will they cope or even comprehend that a disappointing concert from Dalaras could happen not along exist?. Well it did and I did my best to state what happend. I didn't really want to write it for obvious reasons now it but felt compelled too. Sure we all want to hear about positive things how great the show was. but what happens if its the opposite? How do you post something negative and state why it is in a constructive criticism method?

Those who saw him just now in the American tour can state whether or not similarities as this existed. Surely, I cannot be the only one here.

But in Canada it looks as if he gave a better concert even though he became ill. and if he doesn't come back to the states again but does make an appearance in Canada one last time, I should go unless its with Hatziyannis or Yannis Vardis again. I'll have to think about it.

until then folks,

thanks for listening

and humbly await for your comments

Christo, thank you for your detailed and interesting report. No pleasant story at all you had to tell us, but it is necessary and useful to get to know such stories too!!

I could imagine that an important role (for the obviously negative result of the concert) may have played the following:

There was no light in spirit of Dalaras and maybe he just was tired and didn't want to be there. Especially in front of fans who were not there to see him but for young Hatziyannis.

Well, of course it was Dalaras' decision to make the concerts with Hatziyannis (as it was his decision to appear with Remos in Athens for a whole season one or two years ago). So I am not sorry for Dalaras himself, but I am sorry for listeners like you who travelled (and paid) to see and to hear him and you were disappointed. :D

Your report seems to confirm my impression/suspicion that Dalaras tries a lot in order to accomodate to modern times and to a younger public, with the aim of remaining on top (concerning popularity etc.). It seems that this time - at least in this specific concert - his (presumable) efforts did not have the expected effect.

WOW!

If anything could go wrong, it did for you. :huh:

Fact is the younger kids were the for Hatziyiannis is Toronto too! I believe in all of the venues that they were there for him. Not much you could do I guess.

As for Dalaras getting a better reception in Canada...you are right there my friend. That might be a political thing.....

As for everything else, I will be honest I did not get the greatest vibe from Dalaras this year..but he didn't dissapoint me either.

Issues I had this year:

1. The backing band sucked!

2. Dalaras could have sung MORE

3. He could have sung more of his HITS

But its too bad your expectations were not met. I guarantee you if you come up to Toronto for the next show....YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!!!!!

One more thing.....

if Dalaras does choose to tour these parts at least one more time, he should come ALONE.....and do a show singing HIS hits....Something like the old shows of the 80's (Ta Tragoudia Moy.....that kind of style....

you can only believe!!!

Dear Christo

It was really worth waiting for your report!

No, I did not jump ahead for the conclusions - I enjoyed the whole of it! It is a masterpiece, and in literary sense, too. (I am not a musician, so I felt it even more interesitng to read all the details).

Only allow me to add for you guys who are now disappointed because Dalaras is not as he used to be?!! I guess we all have to take a good look in the mirror while holding a picture of ourselves taken 20 years ago. (No, I don't do this myself, as unticipate the result...) :huh:

And yes, although I can only compare the current Dalaras with his old concerts on DVD, it is different. So what?!! Allow me to tell that he maybe a bit down from his personal record, but still way high up compared with the whole bunch of new singers, in Greece and elsewhere.

One problem with performance of Dalaras and honest people like him, that they give everything they have now, at this moment, without calculations. Take it or leave it.

They don't hold their horses as some jockeys do.

This is also a well-known practice in sports: like you can read about a sportsman in pole vaulting or high-jumping or whatever - he sets several records a year. If this guy were a honest sportsman do you think he could have jumped full force once, and then quickly overcome his own record?!! Well, it's obvious, he just "was holding his horses" calculating carefully his possible gains in another competition.

That's the problem when you see someone as an "Idol". That's why we people are good in praising someone who is already safely dead instead of cherising what we have - someone who is always giving, even if not as much as he used to...

On the other hand, we the audience might view things at slightly different angles, only because of different experiences in the past: like for example, Christo complained about Dalaras giving too much time and space to the young collegues, interpreting it as his what? laziness, neglect of the audience who came to see mostly him?

I remember that when I first time saw Dalaras performing with others (not on this tour) my impression was how considerate he is about the others - he was obviously letting them to have their moment before the audience, he was stepping back to let them to take the lead. I interpreted that as a sign of good companionship, etc., - positively.

I got used in my experiences to arrogant performers fighting selfishly for the attention and showing off using every possible means, like flashy clothes, etc.

I agree with Christo on many details, I did not like the lighting also, but I thought it an accepted practice (that's why I am not a frequent concert goer). And I am not used to communicating with the performers after the show, so I did not have this disappointment... Certainly, much could have been improved on this tour. I just can repeat what I said before: when you are in a desert, you don't ask for a bucket of water, you cherish few drops. I feel happy that I got my few drops of sweet water.

P.S. The reason why only Hatsiyannis records were available for sale is that they were sold out before (there were plenty of Dalaras records in NY City).

It's simple....

If he comes back, ALONE, and it is advertised as that, he would sell out. Moreover, he would play a lot more places, not just a hand full. Like I said earlier, YOU GOTS TO BELIEVE!!!!

If he comes back with a better band, and a better song list, the reviews would be a hell of a lot different!!

Christo, I would like to add that it was a joint concert of Dalaras and Chatzigiannis, in the same way as the tour of Dalaras and Marinella 3 years ago. You shouldn't have expected to see Dalaras in stage more time than Chatzigiannis, as he (Chatzigiannis) is possibly the best selling artist in Greece at the moment, and couldn't just have a support role in this tour! ;):confused:

Don't forget that Dalaras is 57 years old. Going to a concert, you should not expect to listen to Dalaras of '80s and early '90s! The possibility of a mediocre concert -in a tour- may be higher than some years before. Moreover, he is also an artist whose performance is affected by his personal feelings or/and the mood of the audience -maybe to a higher degree than in the past-. I think that it was a long time since your last Dalaras concert...and you realised the difference a bit sharply!

;):huh:

Well after a long hiatus

this story of mine is long over due.

I'm not feeling well but I don't want to delay it any longer has it will be forgotten and soon no need to post.

Not too mention to the fact its been hard to write because its a long story. and yes I do mean its one very long story to tell so I hope you have the time to read through it instead of jumping around to the end to get the main points as it took me a long time to write and tell it my way.

So without further delay

allow me to start from that night of April 7, 2006.

A long journey that should have been just a few short hours seemed to take the whole day getting to Chicago via railroad.

Having left early morning and Finally arriving downtown Chicago around 5 ish p.m., no sooner had I left Detroit Cold & Rainy and it followed me there except with the winds from Lake Michigan, it was an Ice Chilled Winter Storm. Brrr Froze out there.

Well as I met up with my friend, we grabbed a coffee and some soup to warm up and headed back to his place. We changed and within just a moment to do so. It was already 7:30 and we only had a 1/2 hour to go within concert time. My stomach wasn't in the best condition riding the train all day and I still felt slightly queisy going to the concert and now having my nerves of anticipation on edge as we're already running late.

After realizing I forgot the cd player on the train, no sooner too from the night before in packing yes like a greek procrastinating to the last minute not too add to the fact I was tired too (as I too had planned on recording the concert), I left the Microphone behind from my new Mini Disk Recorder somehow thinking I wasn't going to need it when in fact I did. (And this recording Folks not to get off track would have been for my PERSONAL use Only and not for Public display) sorry just wanted to mention that without going off to much on course.

So no Mini disk to record with, I would just have to settle with ever lasting memories and recall what songs were played and so forth.

Of course after the show was over, there was not much to record and would have been wasted anyways as I'm leading too it but I'm not quite there yet. More to tell keep reading.

So we're driving to the Venue Rosemont Theartre and no sooner nearly 8:00 were almost there things are going soon I can relax and BOOM all of a sudden, we run into Traffic as of course its Friday Night in Chicago and the Hall is of course next to the Airport. AHHH worried again

We make it in about 10 or 15 minutes after 8

and there are cars still coming in. HA - Greek time

so that gave me comfort knowing there are other greeks still not there yet and arriving in one afer another so good sign the concert did not start yet. And I was right it hadn't but was about too just sheer moments away.

So all is good you say sit back , relax and enjoy, well another problem.

I brung my field glasses miniature binoculars for Theartre use as I do for all Greek Concerts I go too with me; And guess what, I left them back at my friends place Uggh - Boy was I ever Peeved!!! 2 strikes in a row!!. Not good people, And Fate alas - would soon still keep the tables not turned and strike me with a 3rd and final 4th blow!!!

Why I need these glasses you ask, well very simple

Being Im a fellow musician myself, I love checking out the set up display on stage, what gear & equipment are being used not too mention watching the musicians play with an added extra zoom or close up shots of them if you will. And even though I was sitting dead center balcony

it's still far away especially when the lights are dimmed and so forth.

So if I haven't lost your attention yet,

Now for the actual moment.

And the Concert now begins.

Getting to our seats, I look around and see more then half of the upper balcony seats are empty.

and looking down below the far end seats on both sides of the wall are also half filled there too

Whats going on I wonder.

Dalaras always fills shows especially from his audience here in Chicago.

No sooner by the time the concerts over with a Huge Disappointment do I realize why this is so. and since I'm jumping ahead let me explain as to why.

Well the musicians enter the stage, the audience whose there is getting excited and starts clapping. The music begins. Dont remember what it was dont ask me and a few moments later like father and son

Dalaras & Hatziyannis both appear and make their entrance to their perspective places near the microphones. And the Front Immediate Audience with us behind up in the Balcony cheer and roar them on.

Something unusual I dind't quite catch it at first but realized the discovery observation later on.

In that there were 3 Microphone Stands Seated in a row spaced out perhaps 3-5 feet apart from one another. So it makes sense you think Dalaras would take the middle one or the immediate far right one as he's the star right? Well No in this case he was way out in Left field .

Something was already terribly wrong and the aftermath all added up as to why of course.

So young Hatziyannis takes the closest Mic to the Entrance of the Stage

with Dalaras way across the other side. Shouldn't be too disturbing you would think but keep in mind folks in that basic math, the sum of the parts all add up the whole. or as they say in psyhology Causation A leads to Effect B., or whatever something like that forgot what I learned as that too seemed like a lifetime ago now.

So they start singing

the 2 of them and looks like its going to be a good show after all

well that too was from yet to be determined.

No sooner then they started sining, Despina came out too

which is okay as shes with the tour group and maybe perhaps Dalaras is featuring her as a guest singer molding her or grooming her for her future singing career as he's done so for so many prior upcoming artists who have all become famous on their own afterwards.

"Aspro Peristeri" was the 1st song as it was in New York, Montreal and the rest of the tour. Dalaras began singing it

and not more then 1/4 way through the song Hatziyannis took over.

Okay not so bad, it is a Colloboration of course right? nope wrong.

As I thought it would be a partnership like Dalaras-Papakonstantino-Marinella thing, soon banished from that perspective as Hatziyannis began singing the rest of the song himself.

And then next it was "Thn afto pou mas enonei", followed by "Luna Rosa", and just a few others. But whatever beginning songs they sang or started singing together., the Format was ALWAYS the SAME, with Dalaras only began to start singing the song and Hatziyannis would soon finish them singing 2/3 of the song if not more. something was terribly wrong here or as Shakespeare would say , "Somethings rotten in the state of Denmark"

So after a few songs they played, Dalaras leaves the stage leaving young Hatziyannis to himself to take over? Excuse me Hello

and I yelled, hey man where you going you just got hear.

;)

Now people when you're the star you either come out and do a good 1/2 Hour or 1 Hour performance before taking a break. Or if you're in Rock n Roll group, a warm up band comes out first to put the audience in the mood and the Main Star comes out at night to finish the show. Dalaras here whom should be the Main Star certainly did not come out that way and left Immediately before singing one completely song of his own without any participation from Hatziyannis or Despina

;)

So he took off, what the hell is going I said

and Soon Hatziyannis takes over.

singing his Pop Disco stuff.

Normally, I wouldn't mind hearing this guy as his voice is not that bad

(The 1st time to hear him too but not under this structure)

In fact Hatziyannis voice is a cross over between that of Adamantidihs & Poulopoulos kind of., with a hair mix of Rokkos & Ploutarhos in it. So you probably say thats a good singing voice. Well it is if you like Techno Laika or Entehna whatever the genre is called. But to sing Dalaras music with him?

NO WAY

So he takes over, not sooner then that theres now more people in the audience to see him. Either A) people were still arriving late or :confused: they just now started to get in the mood or Kefi as we say in Greek.

He sings his Hit songs whatever they are, Disco again and not a moment later the audience sings along with him. And whose his audience you may ask? well young Teenage Girls and Young Adult Woman with a small minority too young guys and young adult males.

They crowd to see him, shooting pictures with their cell phones.

The guy really had a whole crowd just for himself. Didn't take me long after to soon realize that No one really came to see Dalaras again other then me

This was confirmed til he finally came back out

and no one really seem to care

More on that in a minute Stay with me

So usually I would like too add another thing here about the Stage, Sound, The Lighting of course, and most importantly - the Orchestra.

The Orchestra was great - but did not comprive of the usual Fellow Band members Dalaras brings. Missing was Filipos Tsemberoulis his Magical Great Flutist. and no Violinist either. In fact other then the 2 Bouzoukia (which sounded Crystal Clean as when they played) there were no other Traditional instruments.

5 Keyboardists on Stage !!!! Holy smoke hey can you use another!

:lol:

Seriously I'm not kidding either, 3 Keyboard Players, A Pianist and an Accordionist. With 2 other Guitarists playing along with Dalaras when he was on stage with his Guitar. The Mix was good and certainly they all played with arrangements, but the only time the whole orchestra were together was with Dalaras and that wasn't too often sadly it is to say.

The Sound though was Unbelievable!!! Especially that from the Percussionist Player. He added some Great Sound Effects to the drum rhythm on Certain songs of Dalaras which I see why he picked those even if I didn't like those particular songs, Again I'll get to that in a moment.

And lastly on this dwell of thought, the lighting.

You know usually when one goes to a Concert Theartre event, someone high above the seats shines down a Big White Spotlight on the Performer. As its been the standard to do so for many years and that's how I've been accustomed to seen Dalaras like this the very first time too. Well sadly again there was no Spotlight to shine on the Artist or Artists I should say.

instead, they had put a dozen small miniature Spotlights on Stage positioned behind the performers, so instead of making the artists shine, they flashed in the audiences eyes blinding us at various times throughout the whole concert. Definately Inappropriate and took away from visual effects. Not Good. And when they weren't shining in my eyes the lighting was fine. I don't know whose idea that was but it failed to make it work right. Well enough said on that

So going back to the concert Hatziyannis has a fan of cheerleaders and teenyboppers cheering and singing along to him. If there were no guards on stage they probably would have jumped up to dance with him

as they did try to back stage while he was singing just to be closer with they guy.

And where does it get so bad then or why you ask?

Well I expected him to sing maybe 3-5 songs and get off the stage. He shouldnt have been by himself no more then 15-20 minutes at best.

Geese O Peekes, this guy was on stage for nearly an hour.

Oh man I was getting mad.

I started yelling, "Ela Re Giorgio - VYES EXO"

"Mas gastrapse aftos". Not appropriate language to use I know but I was really getting mad.

After almost an hour Dalaras finally makes his entrance and I can now start to sing songs I know of his instead of looking like a ##### not knowing any of Hatziyannis songs. And he better make up too for that lost time off stage.

Well he came out with and started singing

a new one from his recent album "Sta Tragoudia poy soy grafo"

and of all the selections on that he picks a mellow one to choose an Hasipiko. "To Proesthima" nobody knew it.

then the 2nd one was from his previous CD "H Asphaltos poy trehi"

with the Zembekiko "O Palios Stratiotis". He asked for the audience to sing but again no one knew it or wanted too. except for me of course

:huh:

but I was too far away on stage for him to hear me

and he sang it but made a frown as if forced to sing it.

as the greeks would say," Me to Zori aspoume"

and that was it no other new songs.

from there it was the old ones again asking the audience to sing along

and finish them for him

;)

So I got to sing along but something again didn't feel right.,

Yes He was there and so was I but something just wasnt there.

There was no warmth, no talking to the audience, he didn't say hello or greet us. Just wanted to hear the Chicago audience sing like a greek choir and whether they did Dalaras made no gesture to show any gratitude only compelled to sing if he had too.

And to make matters worse, people on the main floor were constantly moving around getting out from their seats and not paying attention to the music or that of the singing from Dalaras

Sadly to say the very least They were all for Hataziyannis

Somehow Dalaras too must have sensed this or knew in advance.

I dont know he called back Hatziyannis to sings the rest of his songs.

Again, I was getting really frustrated at this point not understading what is partaking as Im too stunned this moment to even think.

So again the same format as when the concert soon started.

Hatziyannis once again finishing Dalaras songs, and then POOF

Dalaras disappears again leaving a young Hatziyannis to the helm

And not sooner then that right when young Hatziyannis sang, everybody comes back for him, all the teeny boppers and young adult greek men & women. And does he stay for a few songs you think?

HECK No again a whole another hour repeating that same awful stupid Techno song time after time after time, Now I'm getting terribly Bored with it.

So is my friend too whose begining to wonder whats going on putting all the pieces together now. We soon discovered we were Jipped, Deprived, cheated, even shafted if you want to call it that. Our man was Not There. He didnt even try to pull through!!

The Great Dalaras who sold out Meadowlands Arena, Olympic Stadium, Katrakeion, Wembley Stadium, Madision Sqaure Gardens, and the list goes on.

I couldnt believe my eyes. He gave the show to this young punk.

I'm completely Shocked at this point. My head bowed down low with hand my hands over my head. I didn't know what to say.

How hurt and Disappointed I was. Was this it for Dalaras and his fans in America? have I lived to see a low Blow in his Career?

and for what so he could push young Hatziyannis to become the next superstar and at his and my expense? The Time I came and travelled so far, spend a great fortune as to invest in this one special precious night only to be Hurt and Bitter in my heart.

After another final hour , with this young kid on stage,

Had I known it would have been like this

as the greeks say, "DEN THA PIYENA-DEN THA' ERHOUME"

I came to see Dalaras just Dalaras not caring as to who the guest star is. I didn't come for Hatziyannis and instead I got a double dose of him and Dalaras wound up being the guest star or the least guest star

I should say!

Oh it gets worse let me tell you,

At the tail end, yes Dalaras does come back

and sings mellow songs again

"Ta Vengalika Soy Matia"

of all the ballads to sing Why did he choose this one?

This song is so lame and cheesy. It has no Highs or melody or rhythm hardly. Maybe thats why he chose it I don't know. He has sung alot of Great Ballads in the past. Why not choose one them instead of this one. Maybe because his voice was just not there as it used to be.

At times when he got in front of the Microhpone it looked as if he couldn't get the voice to come out like he wanted it too, and so he did best and called Hatziyannis out to help him finish his songs for him and feeding the fuel for the young crowd to see more of him again.

He chose to sing 'Skoni" which is good I've never heard him sing it Live before but the chorus he gave to Hatziyannis and the rest of the song

as well As "Xenos", and "Fantasia" which I shouted out for request. but didn't play it right away.

As for "Vengalika soy Matia" this is where the Percussionist shines making sound effects in a surround stereo setting. Just like the cd recording. The band really did a good job, the lighting was something else but Dalaras MAGIC Nope No way it was gone.

Nothing there to hold onto not along spark a new one

Then he started singing Zembekiko after Zembekiko

and chose "Opia Kia Nase" one of Kazantzidhis songs" You know if Dalaras were to have sang this song years ago. WOW I can only imagine how Great it could have been.

But the way he sang it from the 'Apo Kardias' Cd and now

Oh god forget it.

He never once Sang the Refrain, we had to finish it for him just like at Zygos. I yelled for him to sing it too., No he didn't.

the song does not sound good with him the way his voice is today.

I don't know just my opinion I guess. It's sounds too soft.

and when the people sang the refrain, yeah I sang the harmony to it, not that it mattered I was too far away for Dalaras to hear it and not that he cared anyway, for there was no repor with the people and Hatzuyannis finnished singing it too.

then they brung Despina back

and of all things before let me tell you something else about her here:

When Hatziyannis sings by himself she has to make herself not seen and hide behind the piano. After all he is now the Main Star so why even does she bother to stay on stage and not just walk off?

so when she comes out with the 2 of them she should be on the far left you think or somewere either to the right or left of Dalaras NOPE

Smacked Right Dead Center in the middle of the 2 of them.

If one has never been to a Dalaras Concert before or seen someone Strong of his stature in the Greek music industry, you have no idea what I'm talking about or why it is I'm criticising this for, so I will now explain as to why.

Again, to really have known what Dalaras can do or someone else equivalent to him from singing so long, you have had to have heard & SEEN him YEARS ago.

When you have seen Dalaras in the 80's or 90's HE IS THE SHOW PERIOD....

He would come out with the Guest star and the guest star would exit the stage after 1 or 2 songs NO MORE THEN THAT!!!!

Dalaras would be on stage for nearly 1/2 to an 1hour at a time before taking a break and bring back the guest star or back up to take over at that time and not too long for them to be on either.

And so the guest artist would sing for no more then 20-30 minutes at best. Dalaras would then make another Grand Entrance staying for maybe at best another whole hour on stage performing with his heart out. The guest artist may or may not even come back to sing a 2nd set. Only with Dalaras at the tail end.

Just take a look back at all the concerts along he has done with the Katsimihas Brothers. Even with the 2 of them, 3 mics on stage and Dalaras always Dead Center between the 2 of them. And he sings the Highlights of their songs. What has happend to that?

Where have those days gone too??

Has his voice diminished so much he can't even sing his strong high songs no more?

thats why probably "Paraponemena Logia" wasnt played or "Hlie mou se Parakalo" has Alexandros wanted to hear them.

Not even "Ahh Helidoni Moy" or "Kapou Nixtoni" was sung as I too requested to hear them that night.

The show was ending now with Syrto after Syrto

all the songs that Kate mentioned

with "Fyge Kia'se me" and "Tora Kles"

what was up with that 5 or 6 Sirta in a row Dalaras never does this

He di finish though with believe it or not his famous Hasaposerviko

"Ths Aminis ta Pedia"

with only 1 verse sung instead of the 2 or 3 versus he normally use to sing it. they bow wave and leave.

Some people leave, others are now applading as me for more

an encore please, KIALO KIALO as we greeks would shout from the past concerts. and this applause has to take some great time more then 5-7 minutes of cheers and roars to make him come back out.

My hands were turning red and stinging at this point. So he comes back out with Hatziyannis of course and starts singing No, Not "Giorti Zembekikon" as he use to from the past, as it coincidentally he already sang it before " Thn Aminis ta Pedia" he did this backwards;

he started singing "Mi moy Thimoneis Matia mou" and of course lets the audience finish the chorus for him

2nd part of the song did he sing it or finish NO

he gave it to Hatziyannis to sing with the audience who remained to sing the refrain.

so apart from Dalaras coming on stage 3x

only at best approximately 20% -30% was he ever Actually Truly singing by Himself. what is that maybe 5-10 songs at best

young Hatziyannis nearly sang 75% - 80% of the time if not more.

I am truly disappointed from this concert. As you can see there was so much to explain in a nutshell why I didn't like the concert and as why it was so bad. What if I were to have just said Dalaras didnt sing much

in one sentence?

How would that state my feelings and thoughts as to why it was so bad?

You can't. I had to tell a story christ more like a BOOK to tell why

And it didn't end there

alot of people waited out in the audience

to greet the performers.

No where was there site of Dalaras music on dispay or his cds to sell

A dvd of Hatziyannis of course was playing in the background and selling like a hot item.

Finally there's a line to get back stage for autographs as my friend had brung a cd to get autographed. For me seeing Dalaras in person would be another Hightlight for me and get a new picture taken plus I had wanted to tell him something I was going to bring to him but never the got the chance or opportunity. Nor would it have made any difference now if I had I'm thinking. As we make it back stage, still in line, we've been informed Dalaras took off the minute the concert ended to go back to his hotel. Who picked up his instruments and packed them for him no clue. One older fan got a picture with him and Dalaras was reluctant to take it telling him, "Aide Griyora thelo na fiyo". Needless to say the fan was angry. Is it going to kill him to take a few moments of your time to have a picture taken with my wife? is what he told me.

Everyone else was for Hatziyannis. I don't know if its because of the war the last time he was hear, but he sensed the crowd was not there for him. And maybe he didn't want to stay around any longer then he had too

not to think there was one guy who really came just for him who travelled far; and spend a few quality moments with him & posiibly tell him that I too am a fellow musicain and would like for you to hear me play one day for you Nope no can do. Another dream gone wasted.

The Big Concerts he did in the past, the new fans he attracted over the years where were they? How could this have happened. Is this how I'm suppose to remember Dalaras?

Even with young Yannis Vardis from the '99 Millineum tour he was already grooming this new trend in letting the back up artist sing the rest of his songs. It was too early to see it then though you know

as his voice was presumably still strong and he was very active in performing alot of concerts; but he was heading toward this path giving into this trend to the guest star artists even from back then and more so now. with the Marinella Tour "Mazi" Ok she was his mentor and teacher I can see he let her do more of the show. Okay fine I can buy that.

But Hatziyannis whom he just introduced on his concerts not more then a year ago now taking control of the stage??

This toud should not have been promoted Dalaras & Hatziyannis

it was Hatziyannis with Dalaras

So the next day past from the after shock the night before, I hung out in Chicago with my friend and later that night we went to Greektown and hung out at the local Nightclub Bouzouki there called the Bzyantium btw in case you wanted to know. Right away I ran into some old friends & colleagues of mine., 2 good singers I use to work with from more then 7 years ago. So good to see them and we hung out reminiscing just like the old times. The male singer was at the concert the night before but he too didn' t have much to say not like what Dalaras use to be or expected for that matter.

I spoke to he female vocalist there who use to be a Big Fan of his growing up and she had nothing good to say as I told her How Shocked I was and so disappointed. This was a disgrace a mockery of his image and her words were thi, "I'm bored with Dalaras he needs to retire"

can picture being a producer now as he was for Hatziyannis that night before.

Sad to hear don't know what to make of it myself,

and yet if his voice is not there or new that the majority of the audience was there that night to see young Hatziyannis, then why come for was it just for the money? I thought I'd never see the day Dalaras would do a concert just for the money as he's given so many Good Memorable Charitable Contributions Benefit Concerts in the past.

Cypus concerts alone for one will never be forgotten.

But the way he is now cannot be forgotten either,.

and no programmes were available either this time. saying it was too expensive to print the as the record company wanted a percentage of them. Maybe it was for the money I don't know.

As a result, should he tour again in the states, unless he comes to my hometown, I will not go to see him. Not like this no more unwanted circumstance surprises again.

I only want to see Dalaras just as he is only Dalaras. And only he should be singing his songs. not Hatziyannis or anyone else.

However, as I've read from the club, he seems to be a different person and better performer entertainer in Canada. So I may well see him one final time in Canada should he come again. But anyone else like Hatziyannis or similar in the states

No way

Either Dalaras by himself or none at all,

I want to remember my IDOL like the way he was not like he is now.

Give me Dalaras from the past any day and I'll be there not like he is today.

And after seeing him the 1st time back in 1993

it has never been the same again. 1993 & 1994 Cyprus Concert were the very best. Man, His voice could cut like a knife, shatter glass, give me goosebumps & send shivers down my spine. There wasn't a song he couldnt sing or touch and make it come out Fantastic.,

today however,

everyone else has to sing them for him. There was no light in spirit of Dalaras and maybe he just was tired and didn't want to be there. Especially in front of fans who were not there to see him but for young Hatziyannis. And soon he will retire no one else like me to see him or play a tune for him or introduce a new young generation to his music and watch him grow over the next few years.

I'm so sad

I don't know what else to say

I did say it would be a long story and it is.

Upon Sunday morning returning to Detroit via railroad, I was pondering

what the heck am I going to state to the members here in the club?

Will they understand or even believe me that this concert actually occured like this?

How will they cope or even comprehend that a disappointing concert from Dalaras could happen not along exist?. Well it did and I did my best to state what happend. I didn't really want to write it for obvious reasons now it but felt compelled too. Sure we all want to hear about positive things how great the show was. but what happens if its the opposite? How do you post something negative and state why it is in a constructive criticism method?

Those who saw him just now in the American tour can state whether or not similarities as this existed. Surely, I cannot be the only one here.

But in Canada it looks as if he gave a better concert even though he became ill. and if he doesn't come back to the states again but does make an appearance in Canada one last time, I should go unless its with Hatziyannis or Yannis Vardis again. I'll have to think about it.

until then folks,

thanks for listening

and humbly await for your comments

Come On!! It could nt have been that bad??

UNLESS MR.MANOLAKAAS OR MALAKAS WHATEVER HIS NAME IS

WAS THERE, HE SHOUDNT CRITICIZE HAS HIS MENTALITY DOESNT SAY MUCH HAS DOES HIS NAME.

Hristaki, Michael, Alexandros, Vitaly thank you for your comments.

To: Christos Regnos, Christo how did you know it was going to be like this? Hatziyannis has not been around that long and I Honestly I do not beliive he should have had more equal time then from Dalaras. As Dalaras did not Deliver in what he should or could have. He didn't even try too for probably all the above reasons.

Are you trying to say that Dalaras does not have the stamina anymore

to put out like he used too? And how can you compare Hatziyannis to that of Marinella a giant in her own league singing for decades.

No Christos I disagree with this sorry,.

At best Dalaras should have sung 60- 70% of the show

And he didn't even come close to singing 50-50.

Big disappointment.

And had I known it would be like this before hand

Den Tha Piga - Den thar' homena

I came to hear my man sing not the uprising kid

PERIOD!!!

I still feel Hatziyannis should have been the guest artist singing 1 set and another with Dalarars at the let set of the show with Hatziyannis to sing perhaps 2nd voice and Not to take over finishing Dalaras's songs for him. Same Format in the past just like how the guests artists use to do like Galani, Katsmihias, and Kouka

Also, another thing to bear in mind,

I felt Despina came out way too early.

She should have appeard at the Intermissoin half time show

to sing a song or 2. As again keep in mind, Her name was not mentioned on the Announcement Tour.

Dalaras has always had some unreknowned artist sing a song at half time when he takes a break usually from his famous Latin song "Una Monade Le" (which ironically he doesn't seem to sing it anymore. Again it could be because of the voice not being there as it used to be.) And then reappear again shortly after too finish the night.

But has there was no Intermission here, there was no way to bring Despina in later on to introduce her so oddly enough it is to say, I guess it made sense to bring her out in the beginning of the show.

:huh::confused:

From what I can gather, there are different opinions from all the shows. and it seems Dalaras got the better reviews from the Canadian shows, where as the American ones seem a little more disspointing....

(I ha-e some problems with my keyboard today, and can't type some keys, so please fill in the characters where needed or put capital letters. the missing letter is the letter between u and w. thank you.)

thanks, Christo, not only for your story but the way you told it. :huh:

What can I say? It is unfortunate that you had to go through a concert like that, and I guess it hurts all of us in the forum to see that kind of situation happen to Dalaras, especially when he is in a foreign country, not to say the financial costs to the fans who went to see him and felt disappointed and let down.

First, there is something I remarked through the reports so far is that it seems that Dalaras needs encouragement from the audience to perform well. In greece, I guess he gets full of that. In greece also, I think that the audience sings most of his songs, so their -oices co-er his own, and it would ha-e been hard to know the difference with his past -oice.

I like Dalaras a lot, that's why I e-en bother to post my comments here, and I hope they will not be percei-ed as criticism, as the last time. ;)

I am perfectly aware of Dalaras' kindness towards new aspiring artists (singers and composers), in that he unselfishly helps them by taking them with him in concerts or by singing their compositions. I am also aware that he may want to introduce the young generation to so-called "real" greek music. But that is not something new, and all of us know or guess about those aspects of his character. What I would like to say is something I don't think anyone has said before.

In my opinion, Dalaras does not know who his audience is. Or, if he knows, he would also like to ha-e a newer and younger audience.

I think through the years, he may ha-e lost little by little his fans (the ones who were there when he re-i-ed rebetika, etc.) when he started to dwell too much on exotic things like Latin songs, brego-ic, Sting, etc. How much of his "roots", how much of his "greekness" did he retain? Dalaras was (=) greek music. Can we still positi-ely say that of him now? Personally, I would say no, based on my limited experience of Dalaras. Dalaras projects to me more an image of a singer who wants to be international than greek. ;)

I ha-e wanted to bring this subject up pre-iously, in another topic. the way I see things, it is usual to see fans being loyal to their idol. What is not usual to say is for the idol to be loyal to his fans.

E-ryone gets old, that is not a problem, and as they get older, singers sing less well than before. What I can say is, while Dalaras is only 57 years old, and members keep talking about his possible retirement, nowadays, we see more and more singers who were popular in the 60's and 70's make a comeback and be -ery successful, more so than the young ones. Examples : the Rolling Stones (60+), Azna-our (80+) : his concert tickets are up to $250 and the cheapest are $115, Pa-arotti (80+ ?) : his ticket prices are up to $350, Engelbert (70+), Serge Lama (60+), etc.

I don't go to their concerts but I do listen to some of their CD's and watch some D-D's, and I note that they still do what they used to do, but they just update a bit their songs/music to be more in tune with today's time. I don't think they care to compose songs specifically to cater to the younger generation. In their concerts, you see a middle-aged audience, with some younger spectators, but few. It is what I call the baby boom generation audience. I think that generation is -ery lucky to see so many of the artists who were there when they were teenagers are still singing now for them. Most of the artists I know ha-e at least 40 years careers behind them, so Dalaras is not unique in ha-ing a long career.

the Dalaras fans are still there, but they don't need to ha-e to listen and see the young artists that Dalaras continuously brings with him. If we say that he introduces "real" music to the young generation, doesn't he do a disser-ice to his older audience - who make up his fan base - by introducing "unreal" music to them? Is that how he is loyal to his fans who ha-e followed him throughout those decades? ;)

As many ha-e said, we would like to see Dalaras in concerts alone. If he sings alone, no matter how well he sings, we will be there for him. because we get old with him, and that is perfectly all right. Let the young generation be with the young generation , don't underestimate them, they can disco-er real music on their own, without anyone' s help, or maybe they will make realler music. Trust them!! :confused:

I hope I ha-e not offended anyone this time. :mad:

To: Christos Regnos, Christo how did you know it was going to be like this?

I know as the same concert was presented in Athens 2 years before. In those concerts, they were together on stage during the 75% of the show and Dalaras alone -like Chatzigiannis as well- sang only 5 songs.

I don't say that this is the wrong or right thing, but that's the fact about their collaboration. In addition, if you have noticed the posters of the tour (size of letters, photos etc.), it is clear that it was a joint-tour/concert, and in NO case it seems that it was a Dalaras concert with Hatzigiannis in a supporting role.

Natalie, thank you for replying and I too welcome your thoughts and feelings. I think you make a valid point on some singers as they get older, they will just sing what they like and hopefully please there fans but not always.

Years ago, I recall when Tom Jones was on tour in Detroit, he too had started colloborating in new Genres like Country or Rock Blues as he had started to gather a new younger adult generation audience to see him in his concerts and of course including his older fans the middle age adult audience who grew up with him. This too coincidentally, was also the case for Neil Diamond as he too in his older years now started singing in other Genres including and so forth. Well that was good for them it worked, but unfortunately this is always Not the case for every other artist either.

For Dalaras, it seems he has had to do joint colloborations to reach out to the new younger audience. And from what I've seen & experienced thus so far, it doesn't seem to be working so good. Maybe its time He just sings for his older audience and get them to come back. Maybe by him singing alone and/or he can have unknown backups to help him out. But ultimately, the songs should be his own and he by himself singing all if not most of them.

So the Hatziyannis Dalaras concerts were a Joint/tour effort as Christos Regnis points out, but unfortunately it was Not Perceived from that aspect especially when there were more fans for Hatziyannis then there was for Dalaras; and explains as to why Hatziyannis sang far more then Dalaras did.

Thus far, I do believe Hristaki & Alexandros are right

Dalaras has a better welcoming perception in Canada then from the Americans here in the states, and maybe I too should see him with the Greek Canadians next time or 1 last time if its going to be the final trip to North America for him.

Just think none of this would possibly have occured if it weren't for the war and Dalaras protesting it from last time. I know how he felt but it sure didn't agree with the fans at all. Maybe it was too soon for him to come back just now who knows for sure though

Still waiting to hear opionions from

Anna & Cleopatra

I think through the years, he may ha-e lost little by little his fans (the ones who were there when he re-i-ed rebetika, etc.) when he started to dwell too much on exotic things like Latin songs, brego-ic, Sting, etc. How much of his "roots", how much of his "greekness" did he retain? Dalaras was (=) greek music. Can we still positi-ely say that of him now? Personally, I would say no, based on my limited experience of Dalaras. Dalaras projects to me more an image of a singer who wants to be international than greek. :music:

I agree that friction between Dalaras and his (several) audiences exist. Which is good - I think he does not want to be a slave of his audience (old or new). He is a leader, and we are followers. We are always free to follow someone else. Dalaras is an artist. Taking a writer, for example: does the author (I mean a great author and thinker, not bestseller writers) ask us what we want to read? He shares his thoughts and art with us, and we choose what to read.

In my opinion, when he started singing Latin, Sting, and other non-Greek songs, he did not lose his roots. Yes, he is truly international singer, but one who has retained his Greek roots. What he has been doing - he has been pursuing his personal interests in foreign music, and developing his own innovations still being steady on the Greek foundation. He does it not in order to gain more audience (in my opinion) but to fulfill his own needs as a searching and developing human being. when he does commit mistakes, they are honest mistakes made while exploring new roads.

I personally prefer honest mistakes to smooth lies. That's why when I personally might sound like devoid of criticism, it's not because I am blind to his "mistakes" or whatever I might not like, but because of the above: he is an explorer and an artist - not a slave of his audience. There are many other wonderful singers in Greece who have stayed more o less on the same road - they are good, too. Pleasant to listen - but why do you think it's only Dalaras who makes me (and some others) to cross the Atlantic or travel half-way through Europe?

but because of the above: he is an explorer and an artist - not a slave of his audience. There are many other wonderful singers in Greece who have stayed more o less on the same road - they are good, too. Pleasant to listen - but why do you think it's only Dalaras who makes me (and some others) to cross the Atlantic or travel half-way through Europe?

:music:

:razz::music: well spoken!!

What can I add? Some explanations for Christo.

I think you are this disappointed, as all didnt come up to your expectations.

My expectations were already different.

Before I finally decided to go and join some of the performances in the States and Canada, I had a look again at my report about the Dalaras/Hatzigiannis concerts at Megaro Athens in 2004. If you dont remember where to find, heres the link:

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?s=3...=30entry33054

And if you read, youll see it wasnt a performance I liked 100%. :pity:

Anyway, I decided to go for some personal reasons and !! last but not least, to get once again- a bit of the modern Dalaras *. I like his versatility and the way he does Latin, Bregovic, and other international music.

For me Dalaras is not only good old Greek music, but music in general. I love it when he does songs like ' Amor' or 'Luna rossa', just to mention the two. And of course I didnt want to miss him singing, on the other side of the Atlantic μια βραδιά στο Λεβερκούζεν ;)

In one of the recent interviews Dalaras was talking about an European tour with similar programme as they did in Vienna, means rembetiko. So I thought within the next future there will not be another chance to get this modern side of Dalaras.

*And funny, as Im writing about getting the modern Dalaras I remembered with which song he knocked me down this time Κάπου νυχτώνει :blush:;)

So, my expectations were different as I knew before a bit what to get. As I know about Hatzigiannis success, I never expected he would be just a supporting act. Half-half the programme would be. The only question for me, which part of the different audiences, would be the majority.

I dont say anything about the missing audience, which didnt come because of Dalaras statements about the war 3 years ago.

I dont mention them, as I did not miss them!! And you think on this basis theres a chance for Dalaras to do a solo tour in the States? Never!

Back to the concerts. One change to Megaro, as I told already, Dalaras didnt join in to the Hatzigiannis songs. And this I liked

There was only one song of the Hatzigiannis repertoire both did together in the beginning και θα χαθώ btw. very nice!!, but this was the only not Dalaras song he did.

Another change to Megaro. Dalaras didnt do much of his modern stuff. This I didnt like so much

And I got the impression he changed within the tour, f.e. no Sting in Boston and Canada. Maybe because of his audience. You all know Dalaras gets the atmosphere within the audience, within seconds he knows what they want to listen to. I mean, his audience here, they wanted to get back the good old times. And the Hatzigiannis girls in America and Canada well, no chance for Dalaras

And should he do Fragile just for me??

I absolutely cant complain about the sound and Dalaras voice. It was great at all the concerts I got, except the last minutes in Toronto!! Christo, just to tell you, if you would have been on my seat at Megaro Athens, Trianda Hall the 11st of Nov. last year, were Dalaras did the Axion Esti you would have left the venue with tears in your eyes because the acoustics were extremely bad and his voice was nothing!!!! :(

His enthusiasm or, as Christo said There was no light in spirit of Dalaras and maybe he just was tired and didn't want to be there , yes his enthusiasm was different. I told about my impression in Atlantic City, that he just did the programme. Yes, but with these kind of concerts he needs the participation of the audience. There was almost no reply. And Im very sure Dalaras also got this coming in and going out of the audience, entering and leaving the venue.

As a confirmation, take the concerts in Canada. Almost standing ovations, already for welcome!! To both, not only Hatzigiannis! And then it works. I think Dalaras took a big breath of this welcome like medicine. And, although he was a bit ill, he did a gorgeous performance. Btw. in Montreal we had an intermission, about 15 -20 minutes! Maybe he did too much and needed time to recover? Just my guess.

But with all we shouldnt forget, music, concerts and especially tours are business! Business for a lot of people and most of them are not really interested in music.

Do you think it was Dalaras who had the idea for this tour? I dont think so B)

:rolleyes: And apropos business: Tonight Hatzigiannis starts a programme in Thessaloniki together with Natasa Theodoridou and there are rumours about concerts of these two in the States and Australia. http://www.musiccorner.gr/news/2006/0029.html

:razz: The one thing I should insist again, because everyone seems talking about the Canada part much better than US in general - maybe a little better, but it seems that only Chicago and Atlantic City (thank God they cancelled the Foxwood casino show)were somehow disappointing - based on the above comments.

As for the NY City and Boston - there was enthusiastic reception by the audience, "kefi" from Dalaras and I have to apologize for having mentioned that "war" business at all! I did not see any hostility myself.

Someone told me about the alleged "boycott" after the concert, and this person did not attend himself not because of the "boycott" but because of work issues...

BTW, some people seem to have spent time on this forum trying to justify Dalaras' remarks about the war during the last tour as politically incorrect but forgivable, considering it's Dalaras, etc.- ?? Many people at home here are agianst it, too!!!

If someone remembers Pete Sieger - I am sure many do - he was 84 years old two years ago. That's how the old man protested: he was staying for hrs on a crossroad under the rain and wind alone holding a cardboard with written one word PEACE.

Why? Because he is an artist - he never lied in his songs, and one thing leads to another.

Another thing: when you will have read the interview in the Metohos magazine, you'll see that Dalaras respects his overseas audience very much - he went abroad ready to fulfill his mission for all those people, Greek and non-Greek. He did what he could considering the circumstances. And in spite of all discords, I am sure he did fulfill it.

After reading all the comments about this tour and some previous concerts I came to the following conclusion about why that part of the audience that consider themselves big fans of Dalaras have posted still lots of critical remarks and even some remained very unhappy:

(this will sound obvious as a wheel :razz: ) -

We did not like all that prevented us from seeng more of Dalaras, hearing him better and more, which means complaining about acoustics, orchestrations, lighting, people going in and out in the concert hall, collaborators taking central space on the stage, taking "his" time... As a result, considering all psycological differences, some blamed Dalaras himself, others - Fate while hoping that next time this lady will smile at us..

:music:

After reading all your comments, I still have a question that I ask myself, it is whether the reason the audience did not come for Dalaras (in the two shows that Vitaly mentioned) was because of the politics or because they did not like Michalis's music, i.e maybe they are just older, or more conservative, etc., in those cities.

To resolve that question in a definite manner, Dalaras would have to come back next time, all on his own. :music:

Another factor of the empty seats may be just that the tour was organized at the last minute, and there were many cancellations/changes.

Btw, I was surprised to see, Christo, that you thought Michalis was just a supporting singer, because, to me, it seems that 90% of the promo video was devoted to him. Furthermore, if they had to cancel/postpone the April 2 show because he had to sing on April 1, well, it appeared the tour had to accomodate him pretty much.

But you know, I feel nice, not only to see such a young singer being so successful, but that young Greek people in North America are still keeping their roots, i.e. listen to Greek music and speak their language, and that is an encouraging sign to me. :razz:

Another factor of the empty seats may be just that the tour was organized at the last minute, and there were many cancellations/changes.

Btw, I was surprised to see, Christo, that you thought Michalis was just a supporting singer, because, to me, it seems that 90% of the promo video was devoted to him. Furthermore, if they had to cancel/postpone the April 2 show because he had to sing on April 1, well, it appeared the tour had to accomodate him pretty much.

Hey Natalie,

you bring out good points.

and definately well constructive.

I'll address the 1st one

You are correct 100% about all the changes at the last minute.

The Tour to my honest belief, was definately poor planning, last minute planning, no preparation hardl, didn't informl people well in advance to get the word out.

It was like almost 3-4 weeks that the tour was actually announced and yet the last 2 weeks were finally settled as what dates and venues were going to be played. Naturally of course now no surprise as to why there were so many empty seats and only to add to of course problems from the last tour with the war and so forth. Very bad. Again poor or lack of planning. it came out more like a Risk instead of a highlight then anything else .

and now the 2nd part of your concern I address now

Well what can I say, that too you state is a valid point. Ouch Baby that bytes.! :blink: :lol:

but to say it hurts is putting it mildy. I am no - After reading Annas post, Christos Regnos, and yours its definately Conclusive.

The clues all add up to the whole

The problem is not only was I unaware of it before blinded by my love for Dalaras music and his singing, in that - How might I felt knowing how this concert was going to be for the most part say the majority of the fans that night in Chicago were there to see Hatziyannis?

:razz::rolleyes:

I'd still be confused about my feelings for my role model and favorite singer to come across as a 2nd rate singer next to this guy as bitter

or denial.,

:music::music:

And yet still even had I known earlier it would be like this, theres apart that still would like Dalaras to do more and sing more with open enthusiam and so forth all because I've been groomed to see him this way. Certainly thats my perogative and others may still feel the same way.

Either way it still cuts like a knife and the wound is deep.

Maybe it might have helped the disappointment in the long run;

but when you've known Dalaras to be a Giant in the long hill for many years and to see him now start singing next to a young new artist just starting off at half his age commanding or taking control of the show with less stature then Dalaras , I don't know it doens't look right or appropriate. I belive its called "PARAXENO" as the greeks say. in English its translated as "UNUSUAL" like it doesn't belong there out of syncounce or something or maybe a better choice of word to descibe mght be "ENIGMA" which interprets too "a Puzzle" as to how long this duration or timing will last for?

Again, its not the 1st time accustomed to seeing Dalaras like this for me. I'm old school and still prefer Dalaras to be on Top not having to share the spotlight with someone else beneath him or not = to his calibur level.

And lastly, I think also Hristaki is right,

in that perhaps because Dalaras switched over with Universal Music - that is why he had to come and promote this tour as Hatzyiannis is already on that recording label too I think. Also to mention on that aspect, since he now changed over Recording Labels with Universal, how many more promotional tours will Dalaras have to do with them

if he is feeling uncomfortable to return back to the states? And should he come back next time say perhaps 1 final return, will Dalaras come with an open heart his fans welcoming him maybe or return again bitter, saddened and distressed like from this tour that just passed?

And now Oddly enough someone else mentioned Hatziyannis may becoming on tour again in the fall with Theodoridou. 2 tours in the same year. Tell me is Natasha Theoridou also records for Universal Music?

at this time, I have nothing more to add

until next time

;)

except this Natalie did you to any of the Concerts? Which one of the cities did you attend from the tour dates? And lastly, I can't remember if you reside in North America or not.

After a few days away, this topic took a while to read...

Christo, your story is truly sad - a Dalaras concert is something that should be right, and good, and wonderful, and when it goes wrong it's horrible, past describing.

I think all of us who care deeply about his music and himself have had (or will have, sooner or later) this horrible experience, of a concert where everything that can possibly go wrong - does. Where even things that can't go wrong do go wrong. If you look at it coldly, even with all the Dalaras magic in the world, it must go wrong sometimes.

To comfort you a little, maybe: sometimes you just have bad luck, everything goes wrong from the moment you leave home to go to the concert, and then by the time you get there you can't enjoy whatever is good about it - but this does not necessarily mean that the whole situation, the whole concert, is necessarily as bad as you feel it to be at that time. Maybe it is, but maybe it isn't.

There is the acoustics of the concert hall, and the acoustics of our own ears...

Anna writes earlier in this topic Christo, just to tell you, if you would have been on my seat at Megaro Athens, Trianda Hall the 11st of Nov. last year, were Dalaras did the Axion Esti you would have left the venue with tears in your eyes because the acoustics were extremely bad and his voice was nothing!!!! Well, I read the sentence three times, I couldn't believe my eyes.... because I was at that concert too and I was so wrapped in his voice and the music to notice the acoustics, I was out out of the world, possibly the most shattering concert experience of my life. So, who's wrong? Nobody - on the contrary. There is what he sings and there is what each listener hears - and these two are not the same. It's not something that can be discussed very objectively, I think.

If I might give you something like "advice", it would be to "avoid expectations"; I mean, you went to the concert wishing/expecting to hear a certain kind of songs, basically "Dalaras as you knew him". This is natural, but it is not wise. That Dalaras does not exist anymore - like it or not, time does not not stand still, and Dalaras even less! You know, what struck me, when I read what he chose to sing, is how much of his "Orfeas" repertoire he did. Not 'how little' - 'how much'.

More generally, I am struck once more by the huge differences between one audience and the other. It's one of the questions I would really, really like him to talk about some day: what differences does he perceive between Athens and Atlantic city, Amsterdam and Montreal, London and Boston, Thessaloniki now and Thessaloniki 15 years ago?

Sometimes, we expect too much from Dalaras, and when we do, we will be let down!!

Well, I wasn't talking about expecting "too much", more about expecting the wrong things. If you go to a concert in 2006 expecting to see Dalaras as he was in 1990, you can be sure you will be disappointed - and your disapointed expectations are likely to "get in the way" and prevent you from enjoying whatever there is in the concert that actually is to your taste. And that's a pity :razz:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0