Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antometrios

Όλα μοιάζουν μαγικά

5 posts in this topic

I was searching for the lyrics of "Ola Moiazoun Magika" of Sergiani Ston Kosmo, and this PDF file of a written exam came up. I thought it was a funny coincidence and that I would share it with you. Anyone got answers for it? B)

Link: Written Exam

I was searching for the lyrics of "Ola Moiazoun Magika" of Sergiani Ston Kosmo, and this PDF file of a written exam came up.  

I think this is a good example for how useful can be the studying of Greek song lyrics in order to learn more about Greek language, society, history and many other aspects of life. :D

(Concerning the answers, if they do not come in the meantime from others, perhaps sometime I will ask someone who knows about such matters and then possibly I will post them.)

Well, I think we can post the questions even here without committing some fundamental violations of copyright. :D

They were obviously part of a written examination in some Australian schools in 2003. (I did not investigate which type of school, examination etc.)

The lyrics of the song (written by Giannis Markopoulos) is:

«Όλα μοιάζουν μαγικά (Everything seems magical)

Είναι νύχτα και τ' αστέρια μάτια

σαν ορχήστρα μας κοιτάνε

και όλα μας τα χρόνια

σαν πληγές από μαστίγιο πονάνε

Είδα ανθρώπους σε τραπέζια

να τρώνε με δεκαοχτώ μασέλες

μα είδα και στην Αθήνα τους Ευρωπαίους

να φοράνε φουστανέλες

Κι όλα μοιάζουν μαγικά, είναι μαζικά

και διαρκώς αμερικανικά

και το ψέμα σαν τιμάριθμος ψηλώνει

μα το αυτί σου κατεργάρη δεν ιδρώνει.

Να μην ξέρεις πού να δώσεις τη φωνή σου

να παρακαλάς προσκυνητής για τη ζωή σου

ο πολυμήχανος αστός όλο φιγούρα

κι η δουλειά σου να είναι πάντοτε χασούρα

τίγκα με σκουπίδια ο αιώνας

κι όλο μπαινοβγαίνει ο χειμώνας

Refrain:

Κι όλα μοιάζουν μαγικά, είναι μαζικά

και προπαντός αμερικανικά»

(The song has an additional part, but this is not in the paper of the examination.)

The questions were:

«(a) What is implied by the expression "δεκαοχτώ μασέλες"? (2 marks)

(b ) How relevant is this song today? (3 marks)

(c ) What techniques are used to enhance the themes of the song? In your response, refer to music and voice. (5 marks)

(d) How is the issue of searching for identity explored in the lyrics of the song? (5 marks)»

I think this is a good example for how useful can be the studying of Greek song lyrics in order to learn more about Greek language, society, history and many other aspects of life.  :blush:

And the other way around - you won't understand the lyrics without knowledge of the history, pop culture, politics, etc - one interest supports the other. :)

As for the exam - δεκαοχτώ μασέλες was easy: the dictionary says that δεκα μασέλες implies someone making heaps of money - and spending big. However, as a Greek friend suggested - δεκαοχτώ μασέλες is said about corrupted politicians who steal, bribe and spend...

How relevant is this song today - well, unfortunately, as winter comes and goes, winter months are getting longer and longer (especially for pessimists... :music: ).

And Americans are liked less and less :wow:

(Hopefully, I got all 5 for the 1st two questions - to balance my ignorance in the musical and vocal techniques - anyway, the exam must be aimed at musical students. ). The only thing comes to my mind about technical enhancements: inclusion of English words and mockingly cheerful americanized musical phrases? (OK, give me 1 point for this effort)

:music: .

Hey, search for identity? Isn't it always by wearing funny clothes, piercing unusual parts of your body and exercizing your imagination in hair styles and colors? That leads to the line about kilts? (not begging for more points, especially since it took more than allotted 1 hr 10 min ).

B)

P.S. Did someone look at the 2nd question? I think it's even more interesting - hope to see answers from our Greek Canadians/Americans. :blush: (It relates to the song Αχ Ελλαδα - I've never thought it's such a sarcastic song...)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0