Geske

Wishful listening

71 posts in this topic

We have ,Geeske!

I wish he would sing "Ερωτικό"(Θάνος Μικρούτσικος-’λκης  Αλκαίος) or "H πιρόγα" ,as almost everybody keeps incorrectly refering to this song.Mανώλης Μητσιάς sang that one first, and there is a slightly different,but nevertheless wonderful, version of it by Aλεξίου(Geeske,it's one of the encore songs she made,if you remember)-not to mention the recent version of Νότης Σφακιανάκης  :confused:  :(  :( .Ιt's a fine song,and I consider that one as the best song of the eighties in Greece,at least in the έντεχνο λαϊκό genre.That's my humble wish for now....

Do you really think he would sing it better than Alexiou did? I suppose that between two singers of that rank, it would be a real challenge (a friendly challenge, but a challenge nonetheless...). :(

it doesn't matter who sings it better. Better is not defined. Differently is the right word.

Yes, differently is the word... Thank you Soc !  :D

I didn't buy that CD but have the original LP.

The LP includes 6 songs of Hadjidakis,3 Theodorakis,1 Plessas,1 Xarhakos and 1 Petsilas.I don't know the reason of this replacement and I also think that it's very strange.But I wonder something :D  ;Which Hadjidakis songs are added to the CD instead of Theodorakis'?Do the other three songs remain? :D

S Gursu

Yes, Sarper, the songs by Xarchakos, Plessas and Petsilas remain, but the three other songs by Theodorakis have been replaced by "Kathe trello paidi", Manoula mou" and "Hartino to fengaraki" (Three songs by Hadjidakis).

Has Mouskouri decided to replace the songs, or has Theodorakis decided that he would have the songs removed?

Whoever has taken that stupid decision, I am convinced that it is a political one.

The three Theodorakis  songs ("Vrechei sti ftochoyitonia", "Ena to chelidoni", and "T'athanato nero") are now included in Mouskouri's version of "Epitaphios" - Well, "T'athanato nero" is the 7th song of Epitaphios, so I guess that the interpretation of the original "Chants de mon Pays" LP has been supressed!!!

And I still haven't heard "Vrechei sti ftochoyitonia" by Dalaras!

I wish Dalaras and Alexiou would sing "Ερωτικό" together.

Different. Together. You know...

And I wish that I would be there to hear them sing it.

That would be great, great, GREAT!

But what happened to your "Registered Username", Geeske? There's an "e" missing, isn't there?

what happened to your "Registered Username", Geeske? There's an "e" missing, isn't there?

Let's just say I left it behind in Athens, and get back on topic, ok? (for personal :D questions there is always the messenger).

Giorgio

Can you sing 'Καλότυχα είναι τα βουνά;'

I will wait you outside Zygos, when the program is finished. I 'll tell everyone that you are gone. And when you sing it, I won't confess it...(except to the Dalaras Club, sorry  :sarcasm: )

:confused:

As you probably know by now, I've got a rather special method for learning Greek:

1. take a Dalaras song and listen to it carefully

2. ask my friends what it means

3. figure out how it works and remember it by heart

advantage: it is the means and the end at the same time - I mean, I'm learning Greek because I want to know what he sings... so, motivation is self-reinforcing... :confused:

However, this method severe limitations when it comes to learning more ordinary spoken Greek. So , this morning in the small hours, we made a variation (thank you Apostoli!)

1. get a recording of a Dalaras interview

2. get someone to write it out for you

3. sit down with that and the dictionary and read and listen until it makes sense

Now imagine... suppose we could have one of those self-study language courses, you know, with a book and some tapes... and it was Dalaras' voice on the tapes, reading out the stoopid sentences you have to repeat...

How much faster we would learn!!!!!

Come on, Assimil, do us a revised edition!

To learn Greek, another method (completing Geeske's method):

1) Learn all the songs Dalaras has sung (he has sung almost every type of good Greek poetry and music).

2) Read a book by Kazantzaki (I suggest "Report to Greco") in Greek.

3) Read a Greek newspaper from beginning to end.

Everything should be done with the help of a good grammar (Triandafilidis for example) and a good all Greek dictionary + a Greek/English dictionary or whatever your mother tongue is.

Do not forget to listen to the Greek radio, and practise your written Greek on the forum or with a correspondant. Don't forget to spend time in Greece.

My method is good: many Greek people have asked me where I was from (from Greece) of course, and wouldn't believe me when I showed them my passport. One of my friends even asked me if I could speak French an realized after a few second that I was French! What a laugh that rainy day, playing tavli in a kafeneion in Thessaloniki!

Francois, mon pote, t'es presque aussi frimeur que moi!

Actually, you method IS mine, except that you've started a lot earlier and lived a bit longer. So, mine would fit inside yours, between points 1 and 2 or somewhere.

What pleases me hugely, is to have an example telling me that it can possibly work... it seems such a mad thing to do.

Bonsoir, Geeske! Je ne suis pas vraiment du genre frimeur, but the method works, I can assure you, et les anecdotes sont authentiques but let's go back to posts in Greek or in English, sinon on va se faire eng... euh... pardon, disputer!

Our method is VERY GOOD! Follow it friends!

The only trouble with me at the beginning was that I was learning from rebetika and the language is not alway correct in those songs...

Also, we are off-topic again.

I still think an actual Greek course, meant for the purpose, would be a useful addition to the songs. In his voice.

Meanwhile, I wonder about the song Nikolas asked for... I don't know it, I think...

Also, we are off-topic again.

I still think an actual Greek course, meant for the purpose, would be a useful addition to the songs. In his voice.

Meanwhile, I wonder about the song Nikolas asked for... I don't know it, I think...

Just wishful listening Geeske...  :razz:

Τον καικτσή and Βρέχει φωτιά στη στράτα μου

And now that I know he did both, it becomes even more wishful

Has Dalaras sung "Pame mia volta sto fengari" by Hadjidakis?

In a CD?No,he didn't.

In a concert?I really don't know :confused:

I heard this song from; Melina Mercouri,Nana Mouskouri and Maria Farandouri but not from Dalaras :D

I wish he would!

In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful modern Greek songs. It is also my old mother's favorite... :D

Niki said he performed this song in Zygos; I would really like to hear it, him singing 'Rixe tsiggana ta xartia' of Markos Vamvakaris.  :cool:

I would really like to hear it, him singing 'Rixe tsiggana ta xartia' of Markos Vamvakaris.  :cool:

The Tsaousakis version is astounding!

I would really like to hear it, him singing 'Rixe tsiggana ta xartia' of Markos Vamvakaris.  :cool:

The Tsaousakis version is astounding!

Well, to be honest, I prefer the original by Markos Vamvakaris! But I want to listen to it by Giorgio. Lucky Niki!  :cool:

Yes, of course, Nikolas, the original by Markos is the version I prefer too... but I wanted to mention Tsaousakis' version for the reason I mentioned above, and because I think Tsaousakis should be refered to from time to time. People tend to forget that he was one of the best interpreters of Tsitsanis' songs for example... :)

I'd be curious to listen to the song by Dalaras, our singer here, and to my mind the best "non-rebetis" rebetiko singer.

Please, mr Dalaras.

Please, someday, will you sing us

Απόψε σιωπηλοί

It's by Papazoglou, who already has Αύγουστος on his conscience. It's not a large or difficult or impressive song and it doesn't make you grow ten inches while you sing. But wrings out my heart like a wet rag.

Please.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead