Geske

Wishful listening

71 posts in this topic

A little while ago I came across a poem that really, really hit me right between the eyes. My first thought (translated into words) was something like "omygod this is impossible words can kill after all". Since everyone in Greece seems to read poetry, you might even know the feeling I'm talking about...

Anyway, my second thought was, immediate, clear and coherent: "I want him to sing this".

You'll forgive me for keeping this particular poem to myself, but since them, I've thought lots of people must know songs (or poems that might become songs), that they would like to hear sung by Dalaras.

So, here is a place to make our wish list!

The song that made me start it this morning, when Charoula sang it for me, is Μόνος ίσσουν πάντα

(Lyrics by Λ.Παπαδόπουλος, music by Τ.Καρακατσάνης, and it's on the record 23 τραγούδια)

(Does anyone want me to post the full lyrics?)

Geeske great topic !

Well there are many songs I would like him to to sing...

Mostly Haris and Panos Katsimichas songs such as "To domatio". It is my favourite song of Haris and Panos

I feel very very lucky because i heard him last year singing "To Ypogeio" (of Haris and Panos) at Zygos. Oh my god, he was great!!! I'd give everything to have this performance!                                        

Other songs I 'd like him to sing are "Avrio Pali" (Grigoris Bithikotsis) and many Bob Dylan's songs although this is impossible :D  :D

Pavlo, we don't mind impossible, this is wishful listening :D

Since Nikolas insisted, I'm posting my wish-song in full. Stole the time to do it, all of 15 minutes, so forgive the typo's! The translation is pinched from a reliable Dutch one.

Μόνος ήσουν πάντα

(Τ. Καρακατσάνη - Λ. Παπαδόπουλου)

Μόνος ήσουν πάντα

σαν κφυφή μπαλάντα,

σαν κρυφή πηγή

μόνος είσαι πάλι

στ' άδειο προσκεφάλι,

μοναχός στη ζωή.

Γείρε και κοιμήσου

όσο κι αν πονείς

χάνεσαι, σκορπιέσαι,

μα για σένα, κανείς.

Μόνος ήσουν πάντα

σαν κρυφή μπαλάντα,

σαν κρυφή πηγή.

Χάραξε κι ακόμα

τριγυρνάς στο στώμα

υια να ξεχαστείς

μόνος ήσουν πάντα

σαν κρυφή μπαλάντα,

μόνος όπως κι εμείς.

You were always alone

like a hidden ballad

like a secret well;

you are alone again,

on [an] empty pillow,

all alone in life.

Lie down and go to sleep

however much you hurt;

you are lost, you are erring about,

but for you, [there is] no one.

You were always alone

like a hidden ballad

like a secret well.

Day breaks and still

you are tossing and turning on your mattress

[in a effort] to forget;

you were always alone

like a hidden ballad,

alone, as we [are] too.

Pavlo, do we get yours too? Please?

Well, it's not really a wish, because he has sang this song. I'm talking for the one that goes: "Listen to the falling rain, listen to the rain..." (Soc knows what I mean... :D  ) My "wish" is to find it recorded someday and hear the whole song from him, not just the first verse... But there are many songs that I would like him to sing... My head seemed to stop here, but I'll come back... :D

I know the translation sucks, my english is not good enough to translate poems...

Anyway, I think you 'll get the idea

Music: Haris and Panos Katsimichas, Lyrics: Lena Pappa

Το δωμάτιο (To domatio)

------------------------

Μες το κλειστό δωμάτιο

μπορείς να βρεις

ό,τι δε τόλμησες ποτέ να ονειρευτείς

δεν τόλμησες

κι ότι μέσα σου βαθιά αγάπησες

κι όμως ποτέ δεν είδες να βγαίνει αληθινό

Όλα είναι εκεί

εκεί υπάρχουν όλα

Μες το κλειστό δωμάτιο

Όλα και τίποτα

Αγάλματα Θεών λησμονημένα

και της Ελένης το πουκάμισο

Όλα είναι εκεί

κι άλλα πολλά

που κάποτε φαντάστηκες

Ο φόβος του Χριστού στον κήπο της Γεσθημανή

τα βήματα της θλίψης του, της αίγλης του το φως

το αίμα των θυσιασμένων, και οι χαμένοι στόχοι τους

το ψύχος το δριμύ των χωρισμών, των χωρισμών

Ρεφραίν:

-------------------------------------------

Το διαμαντένιο αηδόνι του βασιλιά της Κίνας

σινιάλα από φάρους που σβηστήκαν

και μαγικά τοτέμ από άγνωστα φυλές

κι εφηβικά κορμιά, και καλοκαίρια γαλανά

θάνατοι και φωτιές, κι αόρατη ομορφιά, κι αόρατη ομορφιά

-------------------------------------------

Μες το κλειστό δωμάτιο υπάρχουν όλα

αν έχεις μάτια να τα δεις, αν έχεις χέρια να τ' αγγίξεις

μπορείς να βρεις κλειδί να ξεκλειδώσεις τη σιωπή τους

αρκεί να πας, αρκεί να πας, ολάνοιχτος, γυρεύοντάς τα

English:

The Room (or chamber)

-------------

Inside the closed room

you can find

what you never dared to imagine (dream of)

you never dared

and everything you loved deeply

but you never saw (it) coming true

Everything is in there

in the closed room

everything, and nothing

statues of Gods that have been long forgotten

And Helen's shirt

Everything is there

and much more  

that you had once imagined

Christ's fear in the garden of Gesthimani

the steps of his sorrow, the light of his glory

the blood of the sacrificed, and their lost aims (goals)

the sharp cold of the partings, of the partings...

Refrain:

------------------------------------------

The diamond nightingale of the King of China,

singals from lighthouses that have faded away

and magical totem(s) of unknown tribes,

and teenage bodies, and blue summers

deaths and fires and unseen beauty...and unseen beauty!

-----------------------------------------

Inside the closed room, everything (all) exists

if you have eyes to see it (them), and hands to touch it (them)

you can find a key to unlock its (their )silence

only if you go wide open (open minded and with great desire), searching for it (them)

I would perhaps like him to sing some Leonard Cohen songs, although I am not sure that I really would since Cohen does them so great already. :D

Astron, your translation is perfectly good! Maybe we should see you posting on the translation section as well?  :D

Andreas, the old man is really amazing, isn't he? He is living a good life, that's probably why (or I should better say he has lived a good life because at his age...)

As far for what I would like Dalaras to sing. Let's start with the Desert Rose which just came in my mind, and other than that, the list is endless

Back to Cohen

as far as I know he's living in Greece. Maybe this is the reason he's doing so good.

And the age? Who cares about the age if the voice is so interesting! So, still plenty of time for Dalaras to sing!

:razz: I have poems of my own that can be sung, Dalaras would have a blast with them. teehee, but  I have not published the work yet, so Dalaras can wait.

My point on this matter.  :cool:

Stolis, Dalaras has sung Drapetsona, but it isn't in the discography. I have it on video and I recorded it to my hard disk with the help of Apostolis.

Has someone seen my breath? It got knocked out of me just now and somehow I can't seem to find it again.

The poem that made me start this topic... I just heard it sung, on the radio (not Radio Thessaloniki). A beautiful melody. Couldn't catch who the composer was. Or the singer either.

Just glad it wasn't Dalaras - I'm sure I could have taken that kind of shock.

"Milise Mou"... :)

I heard this beautiful song of Manos Hadjidakis (lyrics by Nikos Gatsos) firstly from Nana Mouskouri years ago(I have it on LP :confused: ).And today,very luckily, I found another second-hand vinyl recording that includes this song,this time from G.Mpitsikotsis :)  :)

I wish Dalaras sang this song too :confused: Moreover I wish he made an album only with Hadjidakis hits :)

Think of it;

"Tribute to Hadjidakis".

Wouldn't it be great???

S Gursu

Yes! A Tribute to Hadjidakis would be great, indeed! I am sure Dalaras would give new colors to one of my favourite Greek composers.

The song "Milisse mou" is one of Mouskouri's best interpretations. I heard her many times here in France when her voice was still very nice and powerful. I wonder what Dalaras would do with this song. Bithikotsis was not very good on it!

By the way, I have recently bought a Mouskouri CD called "Chants de mon pays" which I recommend to everyone here. But there is a problem with it. The original 1966 LP included three Theodorakis songs: "Ena to chelidoni", Vrechi sti ftochoyitonia" and "Nacha t'athanato nero". In the CD I received, these three songs have been replaced by three Hadjidakis songs. Does anyone here happen to have an explanation to that strange and disappointing mystery?

I didn't buy that CD but have the original LP.

The LP includes 6 songs of Hadjidakis,3 Theodorakis,1 Plessas,1 Xarhakos and 1 Petsilas.I don't know the reason of this replacement and I also think that it's very strange.But I wonder something :)  ;Which Hadjidakis songs are added to the CD instead of Theodorakis'?Do the other three songs remain? :)

S Gursu

I didn't buy that CD but have the original LP.

The LP includes 6 songs of Hadjidakis,3 Theodorakis,1 Plessas,1 Xarhakos and 1 Petsilas.I don't know the reason of this replacement and I also think that it's very strange.But I wonder something :)  ;Which Hadjidakis songs are added to the CD instead of Theodorakis'?Do the other three songs remain? :)

S Gursu

Yes, Sarper, the songs by Xarchakos, Plessas and Petsilas remain, but the three other songs by Theodorakis have been replaced by "Kathe trello paidi", Manoula mou" and "Hartino to fengaraki" (Three songs by Hadjidakis).

Has Mouskouri decided to replace the songs, or has Theodorakis decided that he would have the songs removed?

Whoever has taken that stupid decision, I am convinced that it is a political one.

Geeske has said it before somewhere, but I want to repeat it I would just LOVE to see Dalaras having collaboration with Eric Clapton!!!  :music:  :wow:  :wow: It would be amazing!!! I dont know what they could do together, but Im sure it would be great. Sing together, or play guitars together  :cool: It would be a real dream coming true. Quite impossible right? Though Im sure he appreciates Clapton Yet, its too hard to bring the two of them together :(

We have ,Geeske!

I wish he would sing "Ερωτικό"(Θάνος Μικρούτσικος-’λκης  Αλκαίος) or "H πιρόγα" ,as almost everybody keeps incorrectly refering to this song.Mανώλης Μητσιάς sang that one first, and there is a slightly different,but nevertheless wonderful, version of it by Aλεξίου(Geeske,it's one of the encore songs she made,if you remember)-not to mention the recent version of Νότης Σφακιανάκης  :confused:  :(  :( .Ιt's a fine song,and I consider that one as the best song of the eighties in Greece,at least in the έντεχνο λαϊκό genre.That's my humble wish for now....

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead